• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors out now for iOS in Japan

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess VLR's iOS port is not too far off.

Although, I wonder how the game will look like on iOS.

Ridley327

...What is nonsensical about smartphones for a game like this? I think it's the perfect platform for visual novels/adventure games.

It's a great platform for the genre. The question is if it can really do justice to this particular game, since it's a fair bit more unique in some very significant ways than most, particularly with regards to how it leverages its original platform.

Wat?

No seriously, wat? Why would they do that? A fucking Wii U port would make more sense than iOS for this particular game!

They want to get the game to as many people as possible, maybe? And since iOS devices are doing a bit better than the Wii U, they can build their fanbase for the inevitable 3rd installment.

I'd actually love a Wii U post of both this and VLR.

It can still work

The twist big twist is still doable and since there aren't any puzzles that takes care of the last one after the reveal.

*tips hat*

Good news for me. I don't have a DS or PSP anymore and have being dying to play these games.
And I've heard the puzzles aren't very good anyway.
you heard wrong. Puzzle for the 2nd is not as good but the 1st is really really good

Ridley327

*tips hat*

Good news for me. I don't have a DS or PSP anymore and have being dying to play these games.

Minor spoilers:
The biggest issue is that there's only so many rooms, so the puzzles repeat a lot through all your playthroughs. That's not really as bad as you might think, since they do tie into the story in some big, big ways. VLR does fix the repetition problem by having many more rooms to go through, while still retaining their plot relevance.

Aeana

It's a great platform for the genre. The question is if it can really do justice to this particular game, since it's a fair bit more unique in some very significant ways than most, particularly with regards to how it leverages its original platform.

I think that's really being overstated, to be honest. Sure, it was novel, but it's not like that stuff couldn't be recreated or even simulated on another platform.

As for the removal of the escape parts entirely, I expect they'll still include the story bits that you encountered throughout those. I am going through the game in my head and I can't think of anything that would be especially awkward handled that way.

I agree, but like he said, for this particular game.
2 screens are kinda important

As I stated above, there are ways to simulate that. For example, if you cut the screen in half, suddenly there are two.

...What is nonsensical about smartphones for a game like this? I think it's the perfect platform for visual novels/adventure games.
There are a few DS specific traits that this game has that aren't easily replicated on any other system.

And by looking at the screens released so far, it doesn't look like they've even tried to implement it.

I think that's really being overstated, to be honest. Sure, it was novel, but it's not like that stuff couldn't be recreated or even simulated on another platform.

As for the removal of the escape parts entirely, I expect they'll still include the story bits that you encountered throughout those. I am going through the game in my head and I can't think of anything that would be especially awkward handled that way.

*Major 999 Spoilers*

The bottom screen being Akane's thoughts with the top being Junpei's. The sudoku part might be affected by this too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

There really is nothing that would be really detrimental to a port without a second screen in 999.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Zoator

Why would they remove the Escape the Room parts? Even if they just wanted to make the game story-only, there are parts of the story that are shown in those segments, as well as character development.

It looks like they've added a flow chart similar to that in VLR, though, which is a huge plus.

LiK

Don't care that much that the puzzles were removed. I want to replay it for story only anyway. Please localize this.

Fey

Banned
I wonder if there are shots of the end anywhere. They must have somehow compromised and made the story work on iOS. I wanna see how.

Squire

Banned
Minor spoilers:
The biggest issue is that there's only so many rooms, so the puzzles repeat a lot through all your playthroughs. That's not really as bad as you might think, since they do tie into the story in some big, big ways. VLR does fix the repetition problem by having many more rooms to go through, while still retaining their plot relevance.

That sounds alright!

Don't care that much that the puzzles were removed. I want to replay it for story only anyway. Please localize this.

E3, dawg. #believe

Goli

*tips hat*

I really hated the puzzles. I never even bothered to solve them on my own after my first playthrough since I just wanted to get on with the story, so I used a guide for all my subsequent playthroughs.
I think Chunsoft realized the puzzles weren't that good and so they did this, which I think is perfect. I hope Aksys/Chunsoft release it here, since this one's already translated and all.

There is nothing I saw that couldn't be reworked to a satisfactory experience on a since screen at any point.

Snape killing Dumbledore wouldn't have had the impact that it did if Dumbledore didn't so obviously trust Snape. The story here won't have the same impact done without the 2 screens bit.

I can't imagine wanting to play it for the first time with the puzzles removed though. You're not even playing the game, just watching bits and pieces of a youtube playthrough (even then, missing parts of the plot that come up in the puzzles).

There are a few DS specific traits that this game has that aren't easily replicated on any other system.

And by looking at the screens released so far, it doesn't look like they've even tried to implicate it.

*Major 999 Spoilers*

The bottom screen being Akane's thoughts with the top being Junpei's. The sudoku part might be affected by this too.l

The monologues are gonna be there. They probably just want to show off the new art in the pics

With regards to the spoiler, there aren't any puzzles. I think

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The game really was built around the idea of 2 screens. Any other VN and I would agree with you. Removing the puzzles also makes little sense to me.

As I stated above, there are ways to simulate that. For example, if you cut the screen in half, suddenly there are two.

Bu judging by the screens it appears they didn't?

Aeana

The game really was built around the idea of 2 screen. Any other VN and I would agree with you. Removing the puzzles also makes little sense to me.

Bu judging by the screens it appears they didn't?

The screenshots don't show that part, so I'm not sure how you can tell.

I just think there are a lot of assumptions being made because people aren't willing to accept that there are alternative ways to handle these things. Now, maybe they did screw it up, but maybe they didn't. Let's see what people who actually play this version find out.

Squire

Banned
I really hated the puzzles. I never even bothered to solve them on my own after my first playthrough since I just wanted to get on with the story, so I used a guide for all my subsequent playthroughs.
I think Chunsoft realized the puzzles weren't that good and so they did this, which I think is perfect. I hope Aksys/Chunsoft release it here, since this one's already translated and all.

Agreed. This is the way I'd choose to experience it even if I had the other platforms it's on.

LiK

I can't imagine wanting to play it for the first time with the puzzles removed though. You're not even playing the game, just watching bits and pieces of a youtube playthrough (even then, missing parts of the plot that come up in the puzzles).

They can go pick up the original on DS anytime, thankfully.

I really don't think it would have the same effect.

This may sound ridiculous, but for me,
part of the twist being so mind-blowing had to do with the screens being separated. Something like "top screen represents present, bottom represents past" is just so much cooler to me than "top half represents present, bottom half represents past".

The monologues are gonna be there. They probably just want to show off the new art in the pics

With regards to the spoiler, there aren't any puzzles. I think
*Major 999 Spoilers*

But how are they going to differentiate between Junpei & Akane's thoughts? And the idea that the final sudoku puzzle might be absent makes me very sad.

On a more basic level, the big twist is
the internal dialog is actually someone else.
The DS just makes it more obvious.

*Major 999 Spoilers*

But how are they going to differentiate between Junpei & Akane's thoughts? And the idea that the final sudoku puzzle might be absent makes me very sad.

A black screen with only text? I'm just guessing. Execution will suffer and there is definitely something lost in the translation. It's kind of like watching a movie on network TV in 16:9

Yeah, removing the escape parts is really silly, it's not like they're difficult or anything.
The actual difficult bit, figuring out which specific route to take for the ending, is still there though.

But it does look awfully pretty.

Cody_D165

Banned
I don't want this to sound angry to anyone, but

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN 999 LEAVE THE THREAD NOW AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED IT

Seriously, I would hate for anyone to be spoiled because of this thread. This is NOT a game you want to be spoiled for you.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

part of the twist being so mind-blowing had to do with the screens being separated. Something like "top screen represents present, bottom represents past" is just so much cooler to me than "top half represents present, bottom half represents past".

Exactly. When I got to the end my reaction was like that gif that's often used here, the one where the guy open the door and is suddenly all "WooooOOOOOAAAAHHHH!!!"

Necrovex

No puzzle? So it's a straight up VN now. Sweeeeeeet.

I wasn't a big fan of 999's puzzles, so axing the escape rooms isn't a big deal for me.

However, I have the same feeling as Cosmic on this.

corn_fest

I wonder how this will work, since the locations themselves and the dialogue that occurs within the escape sequences is fairly important to the story (moreso than in VLR). Maybe they've rewritten parts of the story.

For example, information about ice-9, morphogenetic fields, and specific character backgrounds is given during the puzzles themselves. VLR kept the story and puzzles more separated.

ULTROS!

For the DS->iOS can't do it thing (spoilers):

They'll probably split the the final Past Ayane part into two like Ace Attorney iOS and make the screen vertical.

The only VNs that can't work with DS->iOS are Hotel Dusk/The Last Window because they contain some blowing parts and closing the DS system.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Snape killing Dumbledore wouldn't have had the impact that it did if Dumbledore didn't so obviously trust Snape. The story here won't have the same impact done without the 2 screens bit.

I disagree since my first play-through wasn't even on an actual DS. Nothing was lost on my PC's screen and having played enough of these kind of games I saw absolutely nothing that couldn't be reworked properly.

I hope to god this means a baby step towards getting Ever17 re-released in the west.

I feel like the market is infinitely more accepting now.

Ridley327

Exactly. When I got to the end my reaction was like that gif that's often used here, the one where the guy open the door and is suddenly all "WooooOOOOOAAAAHHHH!!!"

On top of all that, YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T HIGHLIGHT THIS, NEWBIES
it's the only plot twist that I can think of that actually involves the twisting of something. That moment is truly once-in-a-lifetime in the way that it involves the player into the entire metafiction of the game.

For the DS->iOS can't do it thing (spoilers):

They'll probably split the the final Past Ayane part into two like Ace Attorney iOS and make the screen vertical.

I understand how it would work on an iPad, but wouldn't that be sort of hard to see on an iPod Touch or iPhone?

Top Bottom