• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors out now for iOS in Japan

Soooooooooooooooo, any more impressions? I'm very curious how this plays out.

Me too! I want to know if the single screen, no puzzle version is actually okay and can be a good option to get the story of 999 without having to go through the crazy replays and puzzles over and over again.

So any word on a western release?

Uchikoshi seemed to suggest a fall release for the US, but that's not yet confirmed. Others have mentioned Aksys having a mobile game to be announced at E3, so we'll probably be seeing this then. It's a little over a week away, so the wait shouldn't be too long.

redhood56

Banned
I was wondering too how the game would work without two screens, but
in some screens there is a black bar at the bottom and top of the screen. Maybe the game is using the bottom black bar for akane?

DaedalusEagle

Neo Member
Soooooooooooooooo, any more impressions? I'm very curious how this plays out.

I played it a bit last night. There are some substantial differences, which have already been made obvious, between the DS version and the iOS version. The graphics on a whole look significantly better on my iPad. The portraits have been completely redone. The backgrounds and original fullscreen art are the same as the DS version; but they have greater resolution and clarity. The portraits do not animate as they did in the DS version. Despite this I do like the artwork in the new portraits better.

The escape rooms do not have puzzles in them. The important dialogue from the rooms is preserved through inner monologues about what is happening in the room. My Japanese is not nearly good enough to give detailed impressions about what was added or taken away in this matter.

The movie sequences, which would play when doors opened or the levers where pulled, are completely gone. The only movie that has remained is the opening movie. It is very small and plays in the center of the screen. It looks like it was ripped directly from the DS original.

I have not seen any split screen stuff presented in the game yet. You can hold the iPad either vertically or horizontally; I assume the iPhone works the same way. When held horizontally the graphics fill the entire screen; and look pretty awesome! When held vertically the graphics appear letter-boxed in the center of the screen. This could change later in the game, the promo shots seem to indicate that this is the case, but I have not come across any instances of "dual-screen" play yet.

^ Thanks for the quick bit!
I'm still excited to get the game for my iPad, it will be interesting to see the redone portraits. I wonder if it would have taken too much time to update the intro video?
Either way, still interested in it for the novel part. I can always go to my DS if I REALLY want to go through all the puzzle rooms...again :)

The movie sequences, which would play when doors opened or the levers where pulled, are completely gone. The only movie that has remained is the opening movie. It is very small and plays in the center of the screen. It looks like it was ripped directly from the DS original.
Is this good, bad, or inconsequential?

I played it a bit last night. There are some substantial differences, which have already been made obvious, between the DS version and the iOS version. The graphics on a whole look significantly better on my iPad. The portraits have been completely redone. The backgrounds and original fullscreen art are the same as the DS version; but they have greater resolution and clarity. The portraits do not animate as they did in the DS version. Despite this I do like the artwork in the new portraits better.

The escape rooms do not have puzzles in them. The important dialogue from the rooms is preserved through inner monologues about what is happening in the room. My Japanese is not nearly good enough to give detailed impressions about what was added or taken away in this matter.

I have not seen any split screen stuff presented in the game yet. You can hold the iPad either vertically or horizontally; I assume the iPhone works the same way. When held horizontally the graphics fill the entire screen; and look pretty awesome! When held vertically the graphics appear letter-boxed in the center of the screen. This could change later in the game, the promo shots seem to indicate that this is the case, but I have not come across any instances of "dual-screen" play yet.
Thanks for the impressions.

How do they handle
Akane's inner dialogue as opposed to Junpei's?

neither

Really interested on how this is going to work.
The "escape" parts were the whole gameplay element sooooo
And also the
twist at the end
. How's that supposed to work
on one screen
?

Top Bottom