• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors out now for iOS in Japan

Vamphuntr

For the DS->iOS can't do it thing (spoilers):

They'll probably split the the final Past Ayane part into two like Ace Attorney iOS and make the screen vertical.

The only VNs that can't work with DS->iOS are Hotel Dusk/The Last Window because they contain some blowing parts and closing the DS system.

Ace Attorney also had blowing parts you know like the fingerprint powder in 1-5...

I 100% completed the game and I have platinumed VLR as I am a fan of the series.
And you don't think something is gonna be lost if they present it in this way?

I'm hoping they've found a clever way to integrate the "twist" into the game, but these screens aren't giving me confidence.

Ridley327

It actually showed up in the Steam registry. I wonder if someone is trying to re-translate it or if it's a Japan only release.

It's kind of crazy that it's taken this long; 999 was an immediate cult hit, and getting the writer's first big game is such a no-brainer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm hoping by first playthrough, you don't mean you got one ending and then called it quits...because 999 doesn't work that way.

I'm not new to these kinds of games in the slightest I know what complete is.

And you don't think something is gonna be lost if they present it in this way?

Well minus the puzzles being removed not at all. I really don't see a reason why 999 couldn't be on most game systems anyways puzzles and all.

Goli

They'll probably split the the final Past Ayane part into two like Ace Attorney iOS and make the screen vertical.

The only VNs that can't work with DS->iOS are Hotel Dusk/The Last Window because they contain some blowing parts and closing the DS system.

You can blow on a smartphone since most, well, probably ALL of them have a mic.
As for the closing the DS part, they could probably replace you have to do something like "lock" your phone's screen, or something like that.
Not that ports of either of those games are ever gonna come to mobile platforms.

Ridley327

You can blow on a smartphone since most, well, probably ALL of them have a mic.
As for the closing the DS part, they could probably replace you have to do something like "lock" your phone's screen, or something like that.
Not that ports of either of those games are ever gonna come to mobile platforms.

I think it would make more sense to leverage the accelerometer and ask players to lay their device face down for a bit than using the lock screen (which I doubt is even possible to use for gaming purposes), but that's just my immediate thought on how to approximate those puzzles.

Not at all.

I hope you're right. I'm excited that this release will help more people get into the series, but I'm dreading the thought that some of the magic of the first game that really makes the series so special is gonna be absent in this version.

As I said before, the screens they've released, while beautiful, don't really look like they are trying to retain some very key elements of the game.

Cody_D165

Banned
I disagree since my first play-through wasn't even on an actual DS. Nothing was lost on my PC's screen and having played enough of these kind of games I saw absolutely nothing that couldn't be reworked properly.

Our of sheer curiosity,

*major 999 spoilers*

How did you manage the final puzzle on an emulator? I've always wanted to ask someone who played the game in this manner about how they felt when the game flipped over on a PC screen lol

Aeana

I hope you're right. I'm excited that this release will help more people get into the series, but I'm dreading the thought that some of the magic of the first game that really makes the series so special is gonna be absent in this version.

Well, I have given RyougaSaotome the mission to grab it and play all the way to the true ending so he can find out.

Praise Ryouga.

Hahaha, the pressure is on!

Someone else'll probably beat it long before I get around to it, but I was planning on grabbing it anyway.

Huzzah!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

As I said before, the screens they've released, while beautiful, don't really look like they are trying to retain some very key elements of the game.

I really have no problem with this port puzzle removal aside. Putting in a skip previously done puzzle feature would have been ideal in this case, but I don't like playing games on smart phones and tablets so this release is useless to me unfortunately.

GSR

Well, that came out of nowhere fast. Was this ever announced ahead of time?

Looks pretty good though, better than the Ace Attorney HD stuff. And I too am wondering
how they'll pull off certain twists.

Cody_D165

Banned
I think the main issue for me is not the fact that certain scenarios couldn't be recreated on iOS, it's the fact that *999 spoilers*
the final puzzle won't exist at all. I can't fathom how they'll recreate that last experience without even including a puzzle to solve.

The best part of the game is
finding out the dynamic between the two DS screens
. Theres no way I can imagine it being replicated on the iphone without it coming off as awkward or the impact being lessened.

Our of sheer curiosity,

*major 999 spoilers*

How did you manage the final puzzle on an emulator? I've always wanted to ask someone who played the game in this manner about how they felt when the game flipped over on a PC screen lol

It really messed me up. I had been having trouble with my emulator so I thought it was just another problem. I ended up changing the settings so it was the right way up. I felt so bloody stupid when I figured out it was intentional

GSR

Oh, another thing - how's the flowchart going to look for the bad endings? Because there's a couple different combos of choices that lead to the same endings.

I think the main issue for me is not the fact that certain scenarios couldn't be recreated on iOS, it's the fact that *999 spoilers*
the final puzzle won't exist at all. I can't fathom how they'll recreate that last experience without even including a puzzle to solve.

Now that I think about it, the
last puzzle
was the whole point of the game. It has to be there

Also, the exposition and all the theorising added a big part to the mystery. Hmmm

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
On top of all that, YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T HIGHLIGHT THIS, NEWBIES
it's the only plot twist that I can think of that actually involves the twisting of something. That moment is truly once-in-a-lifetime in the way that it involves the player into the entire metafiction of the game.

Completely agreed!

Well, I have given RyougaSaotome the mission to grab it and play all the way to the true ending so he can find out.

Praise Ryouga.

All praise Ryouga! ^_^

GSR

...Wait a sec, totally missed this in the OP - it has higher quality music as well? Is that just higher bitrate, or actual rearrangements?

I could see them messing up sooo badly on this (for reasons stated), but on the other hand it is not impossible to pull off. I'm interested to see how it transfers over.
If the port manages to capture the feeling of the original and bring it to a wider audience, I'll be a happy camper. (Plus, seeing more of Junpei doesn't hurt.)

The confusing part is, they really can just emulate the ds with splitting the screen of the ipad.

Capcom did that with phoenix wright (or at least gives you the option of that).

randomkid

Man, whoever shouted out Deviantart is on the money, and I never even remotely liked the designs to begin with! What is it about pixels that makes even mediocre junk look better?

Also, the evocative puzzle room portions were the only thing I liked about 999 other than the music (which deserves to be in a better game!) so this is definitely a complete downgrade on all fronts for me haha.

I agree though that people are overstating the uniqueness of the DS format, the trick can be simulated just fine, this game is not a super special snowflake.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm really puzzled with people bringing this up about 999 on other platforms. It's not rocket science.

Obviously, they'd normally split one screen up into two screens, but they're not doing that here. Also the twist doesn't really work as well if they're taking out the escape room sequences.

Really, this is just extremely lame. I hope it's not an indication of ZE3 going to iOS or something...

Lusankya

But the escape stuff are what had a lot of background info and whatnot.
So you're not even getting the story.
The escape sections had the funniest and most interesting dialogue. I'm going to miss Funyarinpa :(
Based on the screenshots we'll of course still see the dialogue of the escape parts.

It looks like bad DeviantArtist trying to ape Nishimura's art style.
Nishimiura didn't do the ingame art.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? No more puzzle solving? Intelligence am cry.

Saibastian

Neo Member
That's good and all, but man why would anyone remove the part of what makes this a game? The puzzles added even more to the story.

So... the game, but none of the game. That's... really really lame, actually. :/

Why couldn't they have just ported the puzzle rooms too?

Elija2

But the twist works best when the two screens are separated throughout the entire game. The puzzles themselves are important as well because when you find out that Akane was solving them up until the final one which Junpei must solve himself, it's a really powerful moment.

Top Bottom