• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

That's not what he said though. Someone said they were getting the impression he was hating it, and he replied with "I wouldn't if I were you." He did say he wasn't going to go soft on the issues he felt were there though.

I know people are out for blood but come on.

My mistake then. I do hope he likes it

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
giphy.gif

Didn't see this breakdancing corpse before.

Goro Majima is in this game???

Lime

how long do you guys think it will be patched? I have a pc preorder, thinking about cancelling and getting it in 2 months.

There'll be a patch for the character creator to expand on it, along with some extra content as far as I'm aware. I'd wait for it personally, especially if it means a more polished product without dead eyes.

Ryzaki009

There'll be a patch for the character creator to expand on it, along with some extra content as far as I'm aware. I'd wait for it personally, especially if it means a more polished product without dead eyes.

Yep the only reason to really get the game immediately is if you absolutely can't wait and want to avoid spoilers.

Jumeira

Banned
Ah thank you. BioWare games were insta buys. Quite sad I have to wait on reviews, this level of incompetency from story, writing and animation is new, a real shame. Hoping for the best but I don't have much hope based on the glaring issues raised.

simtmb

Despite liking the original trilogy quite a bit, this thread just recently, was the first time I've actually seen footage etc of this game.

Not what i expected, it looks incredible for all the wrong reasons. Day 1.

CGwizz

I am going from this :

C7VJh_OXkAAJjzC.jpg:large

To derpina rider :

mass-effect-andromeda-female-ryder-facial-animation-700x365.jpg

I will survived i guess, dragon age 2 had such a great backlash and i loved the game, hope this is another situation like that.

joecanada

I dunno, they don't sound that bad to me. It seems like people are looking to see bad things in this game and it's affecting the way they're perceiving things.

Not really , sorry. I have no previous experience with ME and I was pretty stoked on the sounds of what this game could be. The key is watching the full uncut scenes without the cherry picked gifs.... Even then the facial expressions are derpy and the animations are jank as fuck. I know fans want to say these gifs are a collection of the worst of - but honestly there's a lot of bad examples in here for just a preview.... I wouldn't hold out hope that there's only a few more in the full game ....

R0ckman

Was gonna steer clear of the discussion while lurking and enjoying the gifs, but I feel there's something to be said about the overall setting and writing in the ME:A story. Of course, the game isn't out yet and I've only really seen several playthroughs of what's available online, but that material I think at least paints the broad strokes of what kind of tone and approach to writing is present in ME:A.

What I find most jarring in all of this is that the writers use a lot of contemporary slang, anachronisms and character behavioral patterns that feel closer to contemporary teen/young adult writing in TV shows on networks like the CW and the like, and it feels like it's intentional.

The whole teen drama and awkwardness in that romance scene aside, the Salarian expressing his discomfort by saying "Kill. Me. Now." is extremely jarring to me, because it's such a contemporary way of talking, and it's so ingrained in western, especially American culture right now that it feels anachronistic, out of place and seriously out of character for even a human from the far future, let alone a member of a whole different alien race. People are laughing at this whole thing even now, but imagine looking back at ME:A in a couple of decades and still thinking the writing has even a speck of a timeless quality to it.

There are also other examples of this terrible trend, like Ryder constantly saying "we got this!", "we can do this!" over and over, characters repeatedly referring to the fact that they've slept for 600 years and that they feel 600 years older, expositions where characters bring you up to speed on the situation by informing you how they've given special cool names to all of the important races, events and dangers ("we call it - the Scourge!", "oooh, it's the Pathfinder!") etc.

And then there's the story of young adults being thrown into a role of immense responsibility (without really elaborating on why the hierarchy is so rigid and illogical) by becoming the Pathfinder yet not really showing the psychological stress and trauma of what's going on (at least from the story bits we've seen, maybe it gets better, I'm being cautiously optimistic but not getting my hopes up). It feels like the overall setting should feel closer to Ender's Game (or CW's The 100 for a better young adult story example of what seems to be happening with ME:A), in the sense that the fate of this offshoot of mankind and other races has fallen on the shoulders of these young folks for a very specific reason (only they can do it!), so they're thrown into the fire and struggle to survive. Except, at least in the beginning, it doesn't feel as if the stakes are that high, and the reasons for choosing this somewhat inexperienced young'n to save them all don't feel all that clear.

So, not really digging the writing from what I've seen so far, it feels like they were targeting a certain population of younger gamers, or aiming for a certain style, but in my opinion I think they might've made some bad choices and didn't really hit the mark.

I get this to an extent, but really, how can you make a "timeless" form of dailogue? You are either parydoying older romanticized versions of dailogue or using very basic vocabulary.

I am going from this :

C7VJh_OXkAAJjzC.jpg:large

To derpina rider :

mass-effect-andromeda-female-ryder-facial-animation-700x365.jpg

I will survived i guess, dragon age 2 had such a great backlash and i loved the game, hope this is another situation like that.
That's a good mentality right there. I also enjoyed DS2 even with the criticism it received. At least the environments and gameplay are making the game for me.

Ellite25

Not really , sorry. I have no previous experience with ME and I was pretty stoked on the sounds of what this game could be. The key is watching the full uncut scenes without the cherry picked gifs.... Even then the facial expressions are derpy and the animations are jank as fuck. I know fans want to say these gifs are a collection of the worst of - but honestly there's a lot of bad examples in here for just a preview.... I wouldn't hold out hope that there's only a few more in the full game ....
Well, I was more referring to the comment about the voice acting in that scene being bad. The bugs in the game, the animations, and the faces are subpar for sure.

R0ckman

I don't mean to offend but I need to get this off my chest. I freaking HATE it when a game is presented as a (INSTERT STUDIO NAME HERE) game, but its in actuality a side studio in the umbrella and you don't find out unless you actually look into it or you see the reseult. Drives me off the wall. Feels like I'm getting ripped off.

Yeah our paint company did your job, but we had our custodian team work on your project!

nillapuddin

It's not just the animations the actual VA is really bad. The voices don't fit the alien characters at all.

yeah, unfortunately I agree 100%

Ive never played ME before, so this was gunna be my first entry, and I started getting SUUUPER hyped up like a month ago

I played the trial this weekend, and I cant believe how bad alot of these interactions are. The VA, faces and animations (facial/combat/interactive/movement) are just flat out bad.

Its not like I have an incredibly high bar, I just came off playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and this is a considerable drop in quality.

Pixieking

Banned
I get this to an extent, but really, how can you make a "timeless" form of dailogue? You are either parydoying older romanticized versions of dailogue or using very basic vocabulary.

It takes a lot of skill. And I don't mean that as a slight towards ME:A's writer, but as an actual argument - you have to specifically set-out to write something that is outside of the time-period it's written. The writers of Frasier said that they wanted as few references to contemporary events as possible, so that it didn't date - and if you watch the whole series (11 seasons/240 odd episodes), you'll note there's maybe a dozen times where the script feels dated, and it's almost always a phrase or word.

So it's definitely possible without parody, and with interesting dialogue. But it's also something that has to be actively sought, and that requires a good editor to "sweep" the script and pick-out the parts that will date. And ME:A fairly obviously did not have a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom