• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A couple devs claim Switch patch sizes can be sometimes limited & other hurdles occur

As far as third party support, again revisionist history. Third party has never suffered because of any particular policy Nintendo instituted.

Okay, I'm only really discussing this issue the way it works on Earth and not whatever planet this is from. Even the most generous possible fact-based narrative on Nintendo's history with third parties is gonna recognize the role of their own policies and choices in producing the current status quo.

But Nintendo is allowing patches (and tons of them), making exceptions for companies when needed about file size etc, and according to this post:

Yes, the actual Nintendo policies here are actually more friendly than the positions staked out by some people in the discussions. I'm not really talking about Nintendo themselves here (who by indications are working to get away from dev-hostile policies as much as they can) so much as the way that people frame their decisions.

This is absolutely not true over cellular, which is how most of that content is distributed on mobile

Mobile really has two different categories of content here. There's stuff that aims to be as small as possible so you can try, buy, and update it over 4G, and then there's stuff that aims to be "top end" (oriented towards more dedicated gamers, maybe overlapping onto PC or other devices) which might download a large volume of content with some frequency. The engines and tools people use to target mobile cross-platform titles aren't really built to optimize on this unless devs go out of their way.

Lol. How would a Switch magically connect to the internet if you didn't have wifi? It would either need to tether to a mobile, or the hardware would need to have its own SIM card. Either way, it would use mobile data.

Pretty much everyone in the world has a mobile phone these days. Not just in the West, but every market the Switch is sold in.

Really late reply because I forgot about this.

My wifi is absolutely terrible on my side of the house. I have to run my Switch through a usb network adapter. That means I'm either going to have to use my phone data or get a wifi card for my pc and setup a hotspot, while voip just works on my other wired consoles. Definitely not dropping a dime fixing a situation that is only a situation because of how idiotic Nintendo does things. Just makes me not even want to bother with the Switch for multiplayer honestly. Stupid decision regardless.

Top Bottom