• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2017

NSESN

I believe Mario will have an even bigger impact than BotW. The first video has 22 million views and this one is keeping up with things like Spider-man that have both Sony and Marvel marketing.

Edit: Mario odyssey also has 130k views in Nintendo España.

Days Gone is going to be big.

Zombies are generally gold for sales. TLOU was a monster, Left 4 Dead, Walking Dead etc.

Anecdotally it actually seems to have a TON of hype. I constantly see it reposted on my Facebook feed and it's probably the only game I've ever seen being shared like that

Spider-Man will be even bigger. I can see all three of these chasing TLOU2 for best selling exclusive this gen for Sony (not including GT)

QJ6yWpS.png

Battlefront vs Mario views over time, using their official uploads.

Not sure if Mario will pass Battlefront or not.

I believe Mario will have an even bigger impact than BotW. The first video has 22 million views and this one is keeping up with things like Spider-man that have both Sony and Marvel marketing.

Edit: Mario odyssey also has 130k views in Nintendo España.

Well, Mario is much bigger than Zelda, so that should be a given.

FinalAres

I will say I wasn't expecting much from Spider man and it ended up being joint game of the show, with Mario. Seriously impressive looking game.

I think it might be the first truly blockbuster superhero game. And I know the arkham games were popular, I just mean classic level. Like Zelda, Final Fantasy and GTA. That level of game. Which is ridiculous hyperbole and I know I may well be wrong.

But I just think it might be very special.

Wait, the spidey PS4 trailer is close to 11 million views ALREADY??!

Holy fuck.

Yeah it's crazy, Spider-Man is just massive, it's raking in the views just like last year's God of War trailer (and then FF7R).

Its a cool trailer.

I feel like it has absolutely nothing I want from BGE2.

I want a sequel. I want to see those characters and move the story forward. Instead we get some character create a class, your make your own story, blah blah.

So I saw the trailer at Ubisoft, and honestly, thats enough for me.

Agreed, I loved the trailer itself but had it had the familiar characters and not had the dev basically confirm how early it is and that it will seemingly favor player-created created characters I think I would have watched it a lot more times. Like right now I don't even know whether to expect Dakini to play much of a role despite seemingly being the linking character due to not knowing how much narrative will be in there. The characters/narrative/world is why I was so looking forward to this returning since the old Jade & Pey'j trailer and leaked Jade test gameplay.

I was thinking the same thing. Play the shit out of commercials during the Walking Dead premiere's and word of mouth will do the rest.

Also theaters too.

I know many gaffers complained about it but insomniac showing that set piece was the smartest thing they could have ever done. The casual audience will see this set piece and be blown away. And having it be played with QTEs you can have cinematic camera angles and insane action that even the movies don't achieve. If this just showed more basic gameplay I wonder if its views would still be as huge as they are. No doubt it would still be one of the most viewed trailers but that presentation was so great.

Gurish

GOW is also going to be a monster, don't forget that unlike n.1, 2 and 3 this is the second trailer of the game after the first one was a lengthy gameplay demonstration.

For Spiderman this was the first time we saw a "real" unedited gameplay, for AC it was the first reveal + gameplay of this game, SW also had its first showing.

GOW's first gameplay has more than 16m views and it would have been n.1 this E3, n.4 for a second trailer against new entries that we've seen for the first time or had their first real showing is pretty incredible.

prag16

Banned
Haven't read the topic beyond the first several posts, but I'm sure many have said this already based on other topics..

But how in the ever living FUCK is Days Gone so high on that compilation of views graphic? People are actually actively hyped for this? After what they've shown thus far? I don't get it?

It may be the most uninspired, derivative looking game I've seen in years (based on what they've shown so far). Maybe it'll have the ingredients of a good game, but what reason does it have to exist?

Are people REALLY still this into zombies? And the game play shown looks like a half assed amalgamation of a few different games that we've all played before. Horizon, The Last of Us, and Assassin's Creed all thrown into a blender, but not as good (again, based on what they've shown so far).

Maybe it'll be a good game that a lot of people will like, but to me it seems unfathomable that this is actually one of the most popular games at E3, ahead of things like Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein among others, which look VASTLY more interesting.

(My two runners up for "most uninspired uninteresting looking game at E3" are Far Cry 5 and... Spiderman... the reaction to this one makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills as well).

Majmun

Maybe it'll be a good game that a lot of people will like, but to me it seems unfathomable that this is actually one of the most popular games at E3, ahead of things like Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein among others, which look VASTLY more interesting.

You said it well: "to me"

I personally think Days Gone looke more interesting than Wolfenstein. And I'm sure millions of people aren't interested in colorful platformers and prefer a gritty zombie game over it as well.

If seeing Mario below Days Gone bothers you, you can keep calm now.

Mario trailer came out a day late. It already blew past Days Gone, and honestly, is probably on track to be equal or more than Spider-man.

Haven't read the topic beyond the first several posts, but I'm sure many have said this already based on other topics..

But how in the ever living FUCK is Days Gone so high on that compilation of views graphic? People are actually actively hyped for this? After what they've shown thus far? I don't get it?

It may be the most uninspired, derivative looking game I've seen in years (based on what they've shown so far). Maybe it'll have the ingredients of a good game, but what reason does it have to exist?

Are people REALLY still this into zombies? And the game play shown looks like a half assed amalgamation of a few different games that we've all played before. Horizon, The Last of Us, and Assassin's Creed all thrown into a blender, but not as good (again, based on what they've shown so far).

(My two runners up for "most uninspired uninteresting looking game at E3" are Far Cry 5 and... Spiderman... the reaction to this one makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills as well).

This has been answered a few times in this thread.

Edit - ^lol

This is so tired.

"How on Earth are people liking something that I don't like?!?!"

Just stop.

Rellik

Maybe you're just out of touch.

I will say I wasn't expecting much from Spider man and it ended up being joint game of the show, with Mario. Seriously impressive looking game.

I think it might be the first truly blockbuster superhero game. And I know the arkham games were popular, I just mean classic level. Like Zelda, Final Fantasy and GTA. That level of game. Which is ridiculous hyperbole and I know I may well be wrong.

But I just think it might be very special.

Spiderman 2 on 6th gen could arguably be considered the first "blockbuster" superhero game. And if not that, then definitely the Arkham games.

But yes, I hope you're right and this turns out to be a classic.

I know many gaffers complained about it but insomniac showing that set piece was the smartest thing they could have ever done. The casual audience will see this set piece and be blown away. And having it be played with QTEs you can have cinematic camera angles and insane action that even the movies don't achieve. If this just showed more basic gameplay I wonder if its views would still be as huge as they are. No doubt it would still be one of the most viewed trailers but that presentation was so great.

If they showed this particular mission for marketing purposes that's completely fine, but I really hope the whole game isn't like that. If all the main missions are as scripted as the demo, then I'll be very disappointed. That's not to say that it still can't be a fun game, but it would drop it down from "one of the best" to "a pretty good game" for me (assuming everything else is great).

And it is Insomniac we're talking about, so I have hope. They know how to do fun.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wasn't GAF way off when it came to Horizon? I feel like the main feeling on that game here was that it wouldn't be good nor sell well.
Depends. Was Best of E3 the year it was announced and runner's up the following year.

But yeah the threads a few months before launch were filled with concern trolls. Don't really have a feel if that's more than normal, as that's a general GAF thing.
It was mentioned a lot as the commercial and critical flop of 2017 but I haven't run the numbers.

mas8705

I can get the good chunk of games being viewed as much as they were, but how in the hell is Need For Speed 4th?!

The only thing I can guess was because EA went first, that was just an extra day for everyone to watch what EA had; which would be justified considering how Battlefront 2 is 2nd on the list (something that I can understand, but I hope those who were watching are being more cautious than when the first game came out)

QJ6yWpS.png

Battlefront vs Mario views over time, using their official uploads.

Not sure if Mario will pass Battlefront or not.

In fairness, if both games launched their trailers on the same day, it would be safe to say that Mario would have more views since we can see how after a few days, Mario did edge out Battlefront.

Lifeline

b. where there are mirrors of the same trailer with significant view count, I will combine the view count of up to 3 of the same trailers, max.

I think instead of this, all mirrors above 200,000 views should be counted. For example Origins has multiple trailer with over 1 million views because each region got a different language version. Then there's Spider-Man's views which are split over a ton of mirrors, a bunch of them with a lot of views.

I think instead of this, all mirrors above 200,000 views should be counted. For example Origins has multiple trailer with over 1 million views because each region got a different language version. Then there's Spider-Man's views which are split over a ton of mirrors, a bunch of them with a lot of views.

I've done that for the latest versions. I counted 5 Origins trailers instead of 3.

prag16

Banned
Maybe you're just out of touch.
No. It's the children who are wrong.

The children who inexplicably still love zombies despite extreme over saturation of that concept. Zombies had run their course for me after RE2. (Made an exception for TLoU.)

Depends. Was Best of E3 the year it was announced and runner's up the following year.

But yeah the threads a few months before launch were filled with concern trolls. Don't really have a feel if that's more than normal, as that's a general GAF thing.
It was mentioned a lot as the commercial and critical flop of 2017 but I haven't run the numbers.

I don't know how much of that was concern trolling, and how much was due to some of what appeared to be uninspired Ubisoft game design. There were legitimate concerns at the time. Fortunately the game proved those concerns to have been only marginally valid at best. The game turned out very well for the most part.

Permanently A

No. It's the children who are wrong.

The children who inexplicably still love zombies despite extreme over saturation of that concept. Zombies had run their course for me after RE2. (Made an exception for TLoU.)

To the average person, how are zombies extremely over saturated? Its just TWD and TLOU that are the big pieces of zombie media in the last few years.

prag16

Banned
To the average person, how are zombies extremely over saturated? Its just TWD and TLOU that are the big pieces of zombie media in the last few years.
You kidding? Just for games we have DayZ, Dead Island, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Evil Within, State of Decay, Dying Light, Left 4 Dead, Telltale TWD, zombie novelty content in CoD and RDR... and now Days Gone, with TLoU2 on the horizon along with undoubtedly more sequels in some of the aforementioned series.

That's just off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

That's a lot of fairly recent zombie games, many/most of them considered major or AAA. A lot.

Permanently A

You kidding? Just for games we have DayZ, Dead Island, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Evil Within, State of Decay, Dying Light, Left 4 Dead, Telltale TWD, zombie novelty content in CoD and RDR... and now Days Gone, with TLoU2 on the horizon along with undoubtedly more sequels in some of the aforementioned series.

That's a lot of fairly recent zombie games, many/most of them considered major or AAA. A lot.

I don't think the average person could even mention half of those games.

You're talking quantity. That person said "big". Even than, I don't think that is a lot of zombie games you mentioned.

I love how out of touch with reality GAF is regarding Days Gone. That game, God of War and Spiderman are going to be monsters.

Wasn't GAF way off when it came to Horizon? I feel like the main feeling on that game here was that it wouldn't be good nor sell well.
I remember a thread asking people what they though would be the biggest disappointment of 2017 and most people mentioned Horizon.

Do people actually play all of them, though? Like, I'm generally only interested in story-driven contents so half of those automatically is not appealing to me. And even limiting it to the confines of stories, there is a lot of difference between the kind zombie-involving plot that The Last of Us is going for compared to what Resident Evil has (does that franchise actually still have zombies, anyway?).

Most people don't automatically want a game only because it has zombies, regardless of everything else, and I think the opposite is true as well.

prag16

Banned
I don't think the average person could even mention half of those games.

You're talking quantity. That person said "big". Even than, I don't think that is a lot of zombie games you mentioned.

By that standard for an average random person, TLoU isn't "big" either then. If you don't think my incomplete list is "a lot" well then I guess you're in what seems to be the majority, who just love and can't get enough of zombies.

My original comment is that there are a shit load of fairly recent zombie games out there, a metric fuck ton, and Days Gone is another zombie game.

Nobody is debunking that statement; just expressing that they don't care or it doesn't matter to them, which is fine.

I guess I'll go sit by myself in my "tired of zombies" corner.

By that standard for an average random person, TLoU isn't "big" either then. If you don't think my incomplete list is "a lot" well then I guess you're in what seems to be the majority, who just love and can't get enough of zombies.
My dad, who hasn't played video games since PS2, knows about Last of Us. It was big

The zombie craze has mostly died down over the last few years. Like the most notable recent movies have been Train To Busan, World War Z, and maybe Girl With All The Gifts. Games would be Dying Light, Last of Us. and Telltale's Walking Dead. Zombies on TV is basically only Walking Dead and Z Nation as the faraway distant other zombie show

Across mediums, and especially major games, zombies are not even close to this huge super-saturated thing like you're saying, not anymore.

prag16

Banned
Across mediums, and especially major games, zombies are not even close to this huge super-saturated thing like you're saying, not anymore.
Agree to disagree. Our definitions of saturated must be different.

Back on topic, zombies aside Days Gone still looks bland and uninspired. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

My original comment is that there are a shit load of fairly recent zombie games out there, a metric fuck ton, and Days Gone is another zombie game.

Nobody is debunking that statement; just expressing that they don't care or it doesn't matter to them, which is fine.

I guess I'll go sit by myself in my "tired of zombies" corner.

Oh come on, your original comment is a mere "are people still REALLY into zombies" question, as if that's the only reason people will or won't play a game. You saying stuff like "zombies run its course after RE2" just came off as weird because it's not even in the same genre. Especially when you admitted you played The Last of Us, so there has to be something in there other than zombies that lured you in.

So kindly lay off the "I'm not of the majority who just can't get enough of zombies" nonsense.

I don't get how people can be so excited about another Mario game after 30 years of him and yet...

The zombie craze is still a ways off from dying. Zombie anything will continue to sell.

I just hope Days Gone has some depth to the story telling beyond the zombies. I loved The Last of Us because of the characters.

Top Bottom