• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at the Original "Real" Power Rangers: Super Sentai

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the, someone explain this shit

Gokaiger had the gimmick that the rangers could use the powers of every previous Sentai.
The villain fused together the Red and Silver Rangers.
In this scene, the fused ranger uses the power of every Red Ranger in a row.

The reason why everyone is going "Oh you poor thing" and such is because there was a Power Rangers adaptation of Gokaiger, Power Rangers Super Megaforce, but it was a huge disappointment.

Exodust

Banned
kakuranger6rxd7.jpg

While MMPR is my favorite suit design due to obvious reasons(growing up in the 90's), I always held a special fondness for the ninja suits.

Inspired by this thread I've watched a YT vid of all the Super Sentai OP's and man, Goranger is the grooviest thing I've ever seen.

David___

Banned
what the, someone explain this shit

The main team of the season were literally pirates who found the powers of the previous sentai teams after they sacrificed their powers to protect Earth from a huge invasion.

Flashy scenes like this were the norm where they would incorporate the different suits into the fights, while still holding their own when they were using their original suits.

The season was adopted into Power Rangers Super Mega Force where the pirate motif was completely dropped and the suits were reduced down to an alternate form for the MegaForce suits.

Twitch chat would've gone insane for this. :(
The season would've been up there with Time Force, In Space and RPM if they didn't fuck it up. It was literally a perfect love letter and they took a steaming shit on it and wrapped it in a box

The main team of the season were literally pirates who found the powers of the previous sentai teams after they sacrificed their powers to protect Earth from a huge invasion.

Flashy scenes like this were the norm where they would incorporate the different suits into the fights, while still holding their own when they were using their original suits.
Do you remember the amazing reactions when Gokaiger first came out? I remember we'd all just randomly post some gif with the Zyu/MMPR suits playing shenanigans, and Gaffers would lose their minds at what they were seeing.

God I miss Gokaiger. :'(

David___

Banned
Do you remember the amazing reactions when Gokaiger first came out? I remember we'd all just randomly post some gif with the Zyu/MMPR suits playing shenanigans, and Gaffers would lose their minds at what they were seeing.

God I miss Gokaiger. :'(
I actually wasn't on Gaf when Gokaiger debuted lol. I only recently saw it like 2 years ago.

Against my better judgement, I decided to watch one episode of Zyuranger everyday.

I'm kind of blown away of how much Power Rangers used for footage but ignored for this series.

What I learned in 5 episodes:

1. Power Rangers skipped the build up to the Mega Zord bring assembled for the first time. I also think they ever used footage of the Dinozords (the 5 note that combine) fighting by themselves and using their own weapons. They are very cool mechs.

2. Red zyuranger is the typical serious leader guy like Jason, Black is the tall cool-headed guy instead of the cool guy who breakdances, Blue is a lovable thirsty dope instead of a nerd, Pink is a dainty princess type instead of a vain valley girl, and Yellow is a guy who name is literally Boi instead of a girl.

3. Series put emphasis on the designated weapons the team uses. Even had a two-parter trying to get them. I think Saban always wanted to focus on the martial art aspect of the footage more when they can and when they started making original footage too.

4. I said this before but they get around using motorcycles! Ones with little sidecars. I guess Saban felt it wouldn't make sense to have transition scenes of the teens driving around Tokyo in silly looking bikes if Zordon can teleport them around at will.

5. Bandora (ie Rita Repulsa) hates kids and fucks with them in every episode also these kids all suck.

6. Mei's eyebrows are huge and I love them.

massoluk

Banned
2. Red zyuranger is the typical serious leader guy like Jason, Black is the tall cool-headed guy instead of the cool guy who breakdances, Blue is a lovable thirsty dope instead of a nerd, Pink is a dainty princess type instead of a vain valley girl, and Yellow is a guy who name is literally Boi instead of a girl.

Super Sentai businesses usually used to be for professionals. They were special forces, experienced veteran:(

Now they are all in their teens.

maruchan

I have a question some one can answer about the meaning of colors in Japanese shows. Why is red considered the leader in sentai shows?

But Blue is the color MC uses in mecha shows?

i dont get it..

i have googled this question and nothing shows up.. maybe someone has an answer.

massoluk

Banned
I have a question some one can answer about the meaning of colors in Japanese shows. Why is red considered the leader in sentai shows?

i dont get it..

i have googled this question and nothing shows up.. maybe someone has an answer.
News to me... Samples?

NaviLink

I don't remember how I discovered AkibaRanger, it was probably on this very forum. I can't recommend it enough, it's super funny and meta.

tearsofash

I just remembered that I had watched some Gokairanger back when it was airing but it was with friends and kind of intermittently. It looked cool though.

I'm definitely going to check out akibaranger.

Also, it's really strange how this all started because they wanted to make a Japanese Avengers.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

i dont get it..

No particular reason. It's just that it was decided early one that number one would be red and then it stuck as a tradition. Battle Fever's Battle Japan probably helped to cement it.

massoluk

Banned
almost every gundam mc uses blue from amuro to kira, to setsuna, etc.
Shinji from Evangelion. look at main pilots of almost all mecha shows they all wear blue.

hell saiyan blue
Blue is a Gundam tradition,

Other mech shows have diversity Macross is yellow, red, black, pink, green, etc...

hirokazu

4. I said this before but they get around using motorcycles! Ones with little sidecars. I guess Saban felt it wouldn't make sense to have transition scenes of the teens driving around Tokyo in silly looking bikes if Zordon can teleport them around at will.
Probably the other way round. Saban probably implemented teleportation so they wouldn't need to use the motorbike footage that was obviously Japan. And they'd be able to splice footage easier. No need to explain how the Rangers end up from one bit of Sentai footage to another becauss teleportation answers everything.

I missed that but Akibaranger's Powerful Rangers were a great time in threads

All Saban needs to do is adapt Akibaranger and throw it on adult swim. Writers can be free to make it PG-13 and the older crowd would tune in because it would be a love letter to nostalgia. Also Dragon Ball exists on there as well so they are already tuning in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom