• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at the Original "Real" Power Rangers: Super Sentai

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSYGN

I lived in Japan as a kid in the 90's and I remember being confused when visiting bookstores and not seeing the same characters even though they had the same outfit.

thefro

My heart's always going to be with the first couple Dynaman Night Flight parody episodes. Future "Kids in the Hall" members doing the writing/voices + rocking pirated 80s music soundtrack. Blew my mind seeing that as a little kid.

Is there a reason why the american Power Rangers series started with Zyuranger and not an earlier or later series?

I think the dinosaur zords were a big part of it. Dinos were big and it was a safe bet that Jurassic Park was going to be huge in 1993 whenever they gave Power Rangers the green light.

Nairume

Banned
I think the dinosaur zords were a big part of it. Dinos were big and it was a safe bet that Jurassic Park was going to be huge in 1993 whenever they gave Power Rangers the green light.
It also helped that Zyuranger being in production at the time meant it'd be easier to get support from Toei than it would if they had stuck with Jetman as originally planned.

Also it sounds like they decided that Zyuranger footage would need less work being adapted to what eventually became MMPR than Jetman would have. The Vyram alone would have probably required more reworking than Bandora did, if not them needing to replace them entirely.

Super Sentai is the series, not a genre (the genre is typically called Tokusatsu). Zyuranger and Jetman are different seasons of the series.

Like how in the US we have Power Rangers (aka Super Sentai). But often the different seasons have their own unique names and Power Rangers. Zyuranger, Jetman, Dairanger, etc is like how we have Power Rangers Neo, Turbo, In Space...etc.

Basically Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a combination of Zyuranger and Dairanger. Alien Rangers is from Kakuranger. Power Rangers Neo is from Ohranger. Power Ranger Turbo is from Carranger.
Ah, thanks. Never really was a fan of MMPR, but watched it and the original film here and there. I used to always hold a grudge against it because I had my own spandex/motorcycle helmet wearing superhero group and felt like it "copied" me. I've since learned the true origins and how far back it goes but still never got into it.

By the way, my team were called Elemental Force! (I was Lightning)

Jacce

Banned
Ah, thanks. Never really was a fan of MMPR, but watched it and the original film here and there. I used to always hold a grudge against it because I had my own spandex/motorcycle helmet wearing superhero group and felt like it "copied" me. I've since learned the true origins and how far back it goes but still never got into it.

By the way, my team were called Elemental Force! (I was Lightning)

The origins of Super Sentai/Power Rangers can be traced back to the 1957 film The Mysterians:
edfmysterians1.jpg

mogera.jpg

Had the colorful spandex costumes and big mech.

SOLDIER

Anyone got any Sentai recommendations? I've seen Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Boukenger and (some of) Zyuranger so far.

Is the newest series (Kyuranger) worth watching so far?

Pluto

Anyone got any Sentai recommendations? I've seen Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Boukenger and (some of) Zyuranger so far.

Is the newest series (Kyuranger) worth watching so far?

Sun Vulcan
Bioman
Changeman
Flashman
Maskman
Liveman
Jetman
Carranger
Megaranger
Gingaman
GoGo V
Timeranger
Abaranger
Dekaranger
Magiranger
Gekiranger
Go-Onger
ToQger
Kyuranger

If I jad to edit it down to five:
Changeman
Jetman
Megaranger
Abaranger
Gekiranger

SOLDIER

Jetman, Jetman, Jetman.

Does it still hold up? Was hoping for a recent (HD) release.

I would like something that's a bit darker/more serious in tone. On the Kamen Rider side of things, I've only seen Gaim, and well...no one can really top Urobuchi, so my KR experience kind of begins and ends there.

Jacce

Banned

I would like something that's a bit darker/more serious in tone. On the Kamen Rider side of things, I've only seen Gaim, and well...no one can really top Urobuchi, so my KR experience kind of begins and ends there.

Jetman absolutely holds up. It's better than any Sentai series of the past 15 years. Jetman fits your definition of a more serious Sentai series pretty well too.

Jetto Jetto Jettoman

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Jetman is pretty serious throughout... Well, thematically anyways, it's still Sentai, and most of its time is occupied by tongue-in-cheek melodrama.

HD re-releases have only just started very recently and not every series has an upgrade it deserves. Furthermore, Toei is notoriously bad with their film stock.

Yeah, it's better than DVDs, but holy DNR Batman

Outrider

Unconfirmed Member
I've never watched the second season of Akibaranger. The ending of the first was perfect for the series. Should I give it a try? How does it compare to the first season?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've never watched the second season of Akibaranger. The ending of the first was perfect for the series. Should I give it a try? How does it compare to the first season?

To me it felt like it ran out of energy after the firs couple of episodes but people seem to like it all the same.

Only thing about S2 was it really felt like it needed a 3rd season, which it didn't get.
Still loved it
Though
I didn't like the 2nd AkibaBlue
(not a spoiler if you finished S1)

Super Sentai (Tokusatsu as a whole) was a big thing in Brazil in late 80's and early to mid 90's.

The Sentai series broadcasted around here:

Dengeki Sentai Changeman (Lightning Squad Changeman)

changeman-e-eu-2.jpg

I don't remember anything of the plot or characters, but the theme song stood the test of time for me <3

Hikari Sentai Maskman (Light Defenders Maskman)

latest

Oh wow, I need to look this up, I remember the portuguese title for this!

"Defensores da Luz! Maskman!"

evanmisha

Is Jetman also available to watch free and subbed?

Or will I have to download it off a sub group?

It is not. GUIS did finish fansubbing it, however.

As for your earlier question, the fandom has pretty much settled on Jetman, Timeranger, Dairanger, Gokaiger, and Maskman being the best Super Sentai has to offer. I would say specifically that Shinkenger and Gokaiger are the best of modern Super Sentai, so if you're planning on picking something modern up, know that it's all downhill from there.

As for Kamen Rider, if you are again looking for something modern, OOO and Fourze were both fantastic.

LordAlu

I can't find any example videos of it, but am I right in remembering that Sentai shows would end and the next would start almost immediately after? I seem to remember Boukenger ending and then just a scene of Bouken Red and Geki Red walking towards each other, high-fiving, and then Geki Red walking towards the camera before Gekiranger started.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I can't find any example videos of it, but am I right in remembering that Sentai shows would end and the next would start almost immediately after? I seem to remember Boukenger ending and then just a scene of Bouken Red and Geki Red walking towards each other, high-fiving, and then Geki Red walking towards the camera before Gekiranger started.
Yep. It's&#8203; a weekly television series. Only takes breaks for some holidays/special events/disasters

mantidor

Living in Japan in the mid 80's I had a super sentai outfit. Don't remember what color, but I'm sure there's a picture of me somewhere.
By the time it got big in the US, I was like 12 or so an I remember having my first condescending pretentious "I used to like this before you all liked it" tantrum in response.

I was the same, but I'm from Colombia.

Latinamerica, specifically Peru and any country that got it's channels, was heavy on Japanese entertainment, my afternoon after school was watching Liveman and Candy Candy. Ours 80s and 90s were awesome.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

That's the red ranger hand off they started after dekaranger you're talking about, and yeah, the new series traditionally follow the next week

shandy706

Hmmm, I've been looking through all the seasons of Super Sentai (and MMPR and spinoffs) and I think I've come to a conclusion on what order my favorite 10 suit designs are....(we'll ignore quality of seasons). This is just what I find visually appealing, haha.

Did they ever give a reason why once they started making original footage they didn't just "fix" the Green Ranger's powers instead of Tommy becoming the White Ranger?
Especially with that being from a completely different series where they couldn't use Japanese footage of them all together anyway.

Caj814

Did they ever give a reason why once they started making original footage they didn't just "fix" the Green Ranger's powers instead of Tommy becoming the White Ranger?
Especially with that being from a completely different series where they couldn't use Japanese footage of them all together anyway.

To sell new TIGER POWER toys and other merchandise to profit off the new color.

To sell new TIGER POWER toys and other merchandise to profit off the new color.
Thats true however Saban was so worried about changing the other's costumes it just kinda stands out how they were okay ditching the most popular ranger's suit if they didn't completely need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom