• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at the Original "Real" Power Rangers: Super Sentai

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAmCHUBtBqs
Pretty interesting and crazy how they basically cut up the Japanese series and pasted it from everywhere for just 1 American episode.

What the...the scenes where the zords rise from their hiding places weren't all at once in the original show? But it was so hype! Like, seriously. Whenever the guitars started and the rangers said "We need Dino Zord power!" And called on the zords I would jump up and down as a kid. No containing the hype.

To Saban's credit, Lord Zedd is a fantastic villain and has an A+ design

Pretty amazing to think that an American company would design such a hardcore villain for a kids' show. They might have softened his demeanor later but he's still a walking meatbag with an iron skeleton.

Answer me this, they obviously dubbed scenes for the OG series but to thru still do that till this day? Are current day power rangers still dubbed with only the human scenes being 'new'

As time went on they started using a lot more American fight footage. To this day they still splice in dubbed Sentai footage but outside of zord fights it's less prevalent and noticeable than MMPR. They've also done things like use original villains and rangers which eventually leads to original fight scenes as well.

Kickz

It's not a bad season. But imo it's not nearly as good as Dairanger:
img_0040.png

Or Jetman:
7c557dd1ae390091bb1a44ce71e74624.jpg

Other than white ranger, all those other uniforms look atrocious..

FyreWulff

Whoa wait, Zedd is an original villain?? So they spliced footage of him and the other monsters together? Are there any good comparison videos? Although I guess I could just watch the Shout Factory eps.

Also, is there a way to legally watch the 70s and 80s(or hell, any of series) aside from the Zyuranger? I really love how so many of the early Sentai villains are called Fuhrer. I mean, one is called Hell Fuhrer. That sounds imposing as fuck.

It also seems like a lot of the early series where more dark and had a 'seriousness' vibe to it. Is the something all the Sentais have had or did they cut it out as America got involved?

they had the costumes shipped over for the other monsters, and had their own American Rita as well, they even came up with an in-universe reason for why her face changed. They also had to do this since the Zyuranger costumed rangers never fought some of the later monsters so they -had- to film their own non-Zord fight scenes with them.

It also seems like a lot of the early series where more dark and had a 'seriousness' vibe to it. Is the something all the Sentais have had or did they cut it out as America got involved?
Both PR and Sentai vary in seriousness from series to series, and they don't always match up. RPM is probably the darkest Power Rangers, but its Sentai was a wacky comedy.

Me and my gf were watching early episodes of MMPR last night and I casually mentioned that it basically borrowed/stole footage from Japanese series and that Rita was dubbed in english. Considering she hadn't watched the show for 20 years and didn't know this, it utterly blew her mind.

evanmisha

Best theme of anything Sentai related.

Topped only a year later. GO OVER TIME AND SPAAACE

For all you Sentai fans, what do you think are the best fights across all of the series?

Off the top of my head, recently, Blue Buster vs Escape was HYPE. One of the better out of suit fights the franchise has ever seen.

The three-way fight with ShinkenRed, the motw, and Juzo was also hype af. Shinkenger Act 11 iirc

Deepwater

There's a tumblr or a blog out there somewhere with commentary on the production of Power Rangers through the early seasons.

An interesting story is when they got to Denji Sentai Megaranger, the sentai that was the basis for In Space. The PR production team, back then, would get clips from the latest PR, but I there wasn't much communication between Bandai/Toei, and Saban when it came to "hey this is what the series is about". They literally just got the clips and eventually footage.

So when it came time to develop In Space, one of the producers, who I think was Jonathan Tzachor, saw one of the Zord vehicles, which happened to be a Space Shuttle. Combined with the other very spacey looking zords/vehicles, they just assumed it was a series based in space.

So when the production starts full swing, they finally got the rest of the footage from MegaRanger, and realized that, it was in fact, not based in space. I think (and I've never watched MegaRanger), I don't even think they go into space. Megaranger is based off technology and shit, not space. So now they've done all this work on setting "In Space" in space, but they don't have any footage they can use of them in space. I think this is part of the reason why they culminated the MMPR saga with 'In Space', and also why In Space had so much original footage that was shot.

Funny story, one of the quotes from the blog was "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DON'T GO INTO SPACE". Wish I could find it again.

they had the costumes shipped over for the other monsters, and had their own American Rita as well, they even came up with an in-universe reason for why her face changed. They also had to do this since the Zyuranger costumed rangers never fought some of the later monsters so they -had- to film their own non-Zord fight scenes with them.

OMG that was why that happened?? Haha I remember that episode.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There's a tumblr or a blog out there somewhere with commentary on the production of Power Rangers through the early seasons.

An interesting story is when they got to Denji Sentai Megaranger, the sentai that was the basis for In Space. The PR production team, back then, would get clips from the latest PR, but I there wasn't much communication between Bandai/Toei, and Saban when it came to "hey this is what the series is about". They literally just got the clips and eventually footage.

So when it came time to develop In Space, one of the producers, who I think was Jonathan Tzachor, saw one of the Zord vehicles, which happened to be a Space Shuttle. Combined with the other very spacey looking zords/vehicles, they just assumed it was a series based in space.

So when the production starts full swing, they finally got the rest of the footage from MegaRanger, and realized that, it was in fact, not based in space. I think (and I've never watched MegaRanger), I don't even think they go into space. Megaranger is based off technology and shit, not space. So now they've done all this work on setting "In Space" in space, but they don't have any footage they can use of them in space. I think this is part of the reason why they culminated the MMPR saga with 'In Space', and also why In Space had so much original footage that was shot.

Funny story, one of the quotes from the blog was "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DON'T GO INTO SPACE". Wish I could find it again.

It's this.
deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html

Given how it's written by a guy who actually believed Power Rangers was "more creative" than Sentai, I'd doubt legitimacy of some things in this piece.

DieH@rd

Banned
IMO, Garo S1 was the peak of the tokusatsu genre for me [which I did not follow closely, but Garo really blew me away].

This thread is so interesting to follow as someone who was really into this stuff as a kid but completely fell off the tokusatsu train after a while. Since I'll never have enough time to watch all the seasons I missed, are the movies any good? I enjoy kaiju films but I've never watched a single Ultraman / Super Sentai / Kamen Rider film. Which ones are the best?

WillyFive

This thread is so interesting to follow as someone who was really into this stuff as a kid but completely fell off the tokusatsu train after a while. Since I'll never have enough time to watch all the seasons I missed, are the movies any good? I enjoy kaiju films but I've never watched a single Ultraman / Super Sentai / Kamen Rider film. Which ones are the best?

Dang? One movie to rule them all?

I...um....uh....Gokaiger vs Gavan.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Splicing together footage from different episodes, even entirely different series, was a common practice before MMPR. See Voltron, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc.

SaviourMK2

Thats interesting, I never knew about the Bioman concept for Power Rangers.

To throw in my 2 cents, I think Maskman have the better Pre-Zyuranger suits, I like them a lot more than Bioman.

latest

I'm also fond of Liveman's costumes.
latest

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Thats interesting, I never knew about the Bioman concept for Power Rangers.

To throw in my 2 cents, I think Maskman have the better Pre-Zyuranger suits, I like them a lot more than Bioman.

latest

I'm also fond of Liveman's costumes.
latest

I've always been of the opinion that Maskman's suits would still hold up today.

ZoddGutts

But Gokaiger

And Sentai is best when it embraces the camp. If you want overly serious melodrama, then watch Kamen Rider.

Kamen Rider Fourze has great camp with a great cast too, worth watching if anyone is into MMPR. Even has the director who worked on the later seasons of MMPR as stunt coordinator and eventually directed some episodes of Power Rangers.

WillyFive

Kamen Rider Fourze has great camp with a great cast too, worth watching if anyone is into MMPR. Even has the director who worked on the later seasons of MMPR as stunt coordinator and eventually directed some episodes of Power Rangers.

And also wrote the finale of Power Rangers In Space, to the surprise of many in the Twitch stream.

Nairume

Banned
I'm going back and sampling some of the sentai shows I never checked out before. After checking out an episode or two of each

Battle Fever J is neat
Jetman is fucking great and has a wonderfully catchy theme song.
Dairanger is okay
Ohranger is as great as I hoped it'd be after being a big fan of Zeo.

Defuser

Isn't the general consensus about Zyuranger that Burai is the best part of the show?
It was either you have to watch Zyurangers tackle monster of the week and kid of the week ...

Or you can watch this one man called Burai who wants revenge and the road to redemption.

Of course people will pick Burai lol.

Did the pink ranger actually fly the Zord in the original?
In Power Rangers I can't recall the pterodactyl ever on its own and she is always in the Megazord before her zord even attaches.

In the Power Rangers comic she does thankfully.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
In Power Rangers I can't recall the pterodactyl ever on its own and she is always in the Megazord before her zord even attaches.

Nah. Individual robots simply not often get much action.

I watched the first episode of Zyuranger and am legit shook at the footage of the Rangers riding them motorcycles with the buggies on the side. I don't think they ever brought those bike footage to the American show?

Also, all the Zyurangers are homely af middle aged people goddamn.

Aside from the fact that this is clearly shot from a digital camera in 1080p, I love how you can tell from this random frame that this is the Gokai Pirates. The suit actors did a great job conveying the personalities and idiosyncrasies of the cast with their body language​.

SaviourMK2

Seeing Jason in person last year was crazy for seeing just how tiny he is.

im naturally a tall person, and i was surprised how short he was. Not that i have any less respect for him. I guess its just surreal because as a kid I imagined he was bigger than anyone else, now im the goliath.

im naturally a tall person, and i was surprised how short he was. Not that i have any less respect for him. I guess its just surreal because as a kid I imagined her was bigger than anyone else, now im the goliath.

He didn't even look that short in the show either. Was he wearing platform shoes all the time?

Link1110

I never got in the Sentai what the rangers role in the mecha battle was. Aren't the mecha sentient? The Megazord is a god

Sorry double post. My bad. Brain fart for me

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Some of the design choices with In Space make more sense when you have the context of the original Sentai being technology based. Ecliptor and the bad guy's base look like wireframe models from a video game. It's not something that completely clashes with the space theme...but it makes sooooo much more sense when you realize where it came from.

Nerokis

I really didn't know this shit was based off a Japanese series til a two years ago.

I knew Super Sentai was a thing, but had no idea so much of MMPR was directly lifted from the Japanese show until I checked out the Twitch stream around a week ago. Considering how much I loved MMPR as a kid, this was a big revelation.

Zyuranger,Dairanger(season 2),Kakuranger(Alien ranger) and Ohranger(Zeo) were written by 1 person whose name escape me for a moment.

Imo among them Zyuranger is the weakest because almost episode have some new kid of the week being shoved down viewers throats heck even the final villain was a kid. But the highlights of the show were Goushi and the teenage girl and Burai the green DragonRanger.

He was a man obsessed with revenge and hatred against his half brother Geki the Red Ranger. From there he became remorseful and helped out time to time due to the fact he can't stay outside for long or else he will die.But in the end he sacrificed his life for the kid and died peacefully. Tommy ain't got jack shit on Burai.

Didn't Ohranger do so bad the series almost got cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom