• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

If you decide to stream past 7/7 (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), you do so at the risk of being issued a content ID claim or worse, a channel strike/account suspension.
711QiIhJ.png

_Ryo_

So this game has been sitting pretty high on Twitch. I'm not watching, but what's the deal?

Is everyone ignoring Atlus or are they only streaming up until 7/7?

I doubt it's the latter.

The entire game is up on YT, in both English and Japanese so yeah people are ignoring it and Atlus hasn't removed them yet. Some have been up for months, others several days.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So this game has been sitting pretty high on Twitch. I'm not watching, but what's the deal?

I doubt it's the latter.

The viewer count doesn't look all that high. Most games at launch have way more than that:

http://twitchstats.net/game/Persona+5

Compare to:

http://twitchstats.net/game/Mass+Effect:+Andromeda
http://twitchstats.net/game/Nioh
http://twitchstats.net/game/Horizon+Zero+Dawn
http://twitchstats.net/game/The+Legend+of+Zelda:+Breath+of+the+Wild

So yeah, a bunch of folks are likely ignoring. Hell, some may not even be aware of the Atlus statement. But there are considerably less streamers than one would expect at this point in time after launch.

Eolz

The viewer count doesn't look all that high. Most games at launch have way more than that:

http://twitchstats.net/game/Persona+5

Compare to:

http://twitchstats.net/game/Mass+Effect:+Andromeda
http://twitchstats.net/game/Nioh
http://twitchstats.net/game/Horizon+Zero+Dawn
http://twitchstats.net/game/The+Legend+of+Zelda:+Breath+of+the+Wild

So yeah, a bunch of folks are likely ignoring. Hell, some may not even be aware of the Atlus statement. But there are considerably less streamers than one would expect at this point in time after launch.

Damn. Doesn't sound like it's just due to Sega's statement yeah.

SephiZack

Today I'm going to stream beyond July in-game. I stream for like 2 people who I met the first day of livestream. They have already bought the game and waiting to play it for different reasons, so it's not like watching my livestream made them decide not to buy the game.

Even if it's just 2 people, playing the game while interacting with viewers and meeting people that enjoy my same games has been an amazing experience. They can't see all the livestream because of timezone differences so most of the time I'm just playing by myself, but doing something like this really helped me personally as a person. I'm an introvert person, very self-conscious about myself and don't usually conversate with other people. When I started making livestreams it was really awkward, but slowly I became more and more confident and now I can just conversate without too many issues. I still have a lot of room for improvement, but I already think that doing it was one of my best decisions in recent times.

Yesterday, I finished before the "in-game limit" of 7th July. But those 2 viewers expect me to continue doing it. I also want to do it. I love the game and I want to share my experience with others.
I'm a bit scared because I can get a copyright strike which will prevent me from doing livestreams and videos longer than 10 minutes on youtube for the next 6 months. But I honestly think this is an unfair decision from Atlus.

Are they really scared that someone might get spoilers from watching my livestream? My title clearly tells where I am in the game, so people clicking it knows what they are going into.

Are they scared that someone might watch my livestream instead of buying the game? There are 2 people watching my livestream. Both of them are going to play the game anyway. I'm not some huge youtuber/twitch streamers with thousands of followers. My videos/livestream suck and nobody is going to watch them, so the fact that I am streaming the game doesn't take any money from Atlus.

Another important point. My livestreamings automatically become UNLISTED after I finish, so they can't be found on my channel and can't be found by searching on youtube.
Nobody can search for Persona 5 videos and find spoilers due to my livestreams or experience the whole game without buying it.

Well let's see what happens.

KyleCross

I doubt it's the latter.

Plenty are streaming past 7/7. Atlus isn't doing anything so far. I haven't heard of any instances of bannings yet.

xuchu

Playing with fire Zack. They don't care about people being spoiled. They care about loss of revenue full stop. A person or algorithm taking down channels is not going to stop and check if your viewers have bought the game. Hope nothing happens to your channel dude.

kewlmyc

The worst thing about it for me is the constant SCREENSHOTS ARE NOW BLOCKED, YOU CANNOT RECORD DURING THIS SCENE alerts that keep popping up randomly. I'm not even touching the share button.

Eolz

The worst thing about it for me is the constant SCREENSHOTS ARE NOW BLOCKED, YOU CANNOT RECORD DURING THIS SCENE alerts that keep popping up randomly. I'm not even touching the share button.

You can deactivate that in the share menu I think

Nonentity

I'm a pretty casual streamer, but it was a super bummer going from streaming the entirety of Mass Effect Andromeda directly into day of release finding out "whoops, just kidding, go fuck yourself"

That being said, I'm positively crawling through this game, so I'm sort of secretly hoping they drop this dumb policy before I reach 7/7.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm watching a guy with 5k viewers stream on 7/31 lol

Looking over things he seems to be fairly popular. Did something change?

https://www.twitch.tv/bikeman

Either the people who were gonna monitor stuff are on a break at the moment, or the main intention of the announcement was to discourage and greatly lower the number of streamers and LPers from streaming/posting videos.

According to twitchstats, P5 still only has a peak of only 22k viewers and an average of 20 channels streaming. Those numbers should be much higher during the first week of a release for a high profile game, which is usually when you see the strongest numbers.

To compare:

BOTW had a peak of 148k viewers and an average of over 250 average channels
Nioh had a peak of 92k viewers and averaged 150 channels
ME:A had a peak of 71k viewers and an average of 245 channels
Yakuza 0 had a peak of 37k viewers and an average of 17 channels
Nier Automata had a peak of 22k viewers and averaged 59 channels

fvng

I was angry about their Persona 5 policy until I remembered how many massive plot points in Nier Automata and Bloodborne were spoiled in YouTube's recommendations sidebar because dickhead youtubers would give away huge plot points in thumbnails and titles.

I understand that on paper this policy seems anti-gamer, but honestly nothing is more disrespectful to video game storytelling than giving away key plot points in thumbnails and titles as clickbait. I'd rather direct my anger at them..

I have no control of what I see in the recommended videos sidebar so you are at the mercy of others hopefully being considerate.

For Atlus it's damned if you do damned if you don't. Try to protect the end users enjoyment of the game and you get seen as an "out of touch" game publisher. I honestly see this move as a company respecting the art and wanting to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the game.

It seems like spoilers aren't taken seriously by gamers, which undermines any argument to claim video games are an artistic medium with important stories to tell.

This shit wouldn't fly if people were posting Star Wars episode 8 spoilers in thumbnails and titles, I don't understand why it's accepted in this medium.

I wish Square Enix had YouTube spoiler police for Nier Automata and took down videos that spoiled key plot points in thumbnails and titles.

Again, I would rather direct my hate at spoiler happy YouTubers than a company trying to prevent their work from being ruined.

Warning Nier Spoiler Screenshot - A great example of the type of shit visible in plain sight when using youtube.

This is the type of shit I had to deal with before even finishing Automata.

I'm really glad Atlus is sticking to their guns and not losing sight of their goal to preserve P5's experience for gamers.

I'm looking forward to enjoying Persona 5 spoiler free.

I was angry about their Persona 5 policy until I remembered how many massive plot points in Nier Automata and Bloodborne were spoiled in YouTube's recommendations sidebar because dickhead youtubers would give away huge plot points in thumbnails and titles.

I understand that on paper this policy seems anti-gamer, but honestly nothing is more disrespectful to video game storytelling than giving away key plot points in thumbnails and titles as clickbait.

I have no control of what I see in the recommended videos sidebar so you are at the mercy of others hopefully being considerate. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Try to protect the end users enjoyment of the game and you get seen as an "out of touch" game publisher. I honestly see this move as a company respecting the art and wanting to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the game.

It seems like spoilers aren't taken seriously by gamers, which undermines any argument to claim video games are an artistic medium with important stories to tell.

This shit wouldn't fly if people were posting Star Wars episode 8 spoilers in thumbnails and titles, I don't understand why it's accepted in this medium.

I wish Square Enix had YouTube spoiler police for Nier Automata and took down videos that spoiled key plot points in thumbnails and titles. I would rather direct my hate at spoiler happy YouTubers than a company trying to prevent their work from being ruined.

This doesn't follow logically. You'd first have to show that spoilers are taken more seriously by film, television, or book enthusiasts, and I don't think that's the case at all. And shit, spoilers aren't taken seriously by gamers? Have you seen how many dumb fucking arguments we have about spoiler policy in some game discussions?

And that made you so angry that you lost all ability to critically think, since these things have nothing to do with each other and the idea that this policy is about "spoilers" is 100% bullshit?

fvng

This doesn't follow logically. You'd first have to show that spoilers are taken more seriously by film, television, or book enthusiasts, and I don't think that's the case at all. And shit, spoilers aren't taken seriously by gamers? Have you seen how many dumb fucking arguments we have about spoiler policy in some game discussions?

You like zoned in on the least significant part of my post

And that made you so angry that you lost all ability to critically think, since these things have nothing to do with each other and the idea that this policy is about "spoilers" is 100% bullshit?

yeah I'm thinking critically and I appreciate their hardline stance on spoilers. The net impact of their decision regardless of the actual intent is I don't have to see irresponsible assholes post spoilers in their thumbnails and titles. As a fan I'm satisfied.

Famassu

You like zoned in on the least significant part of my post

yeah I'm thinking critically and I appreciate their hardline stance on spoilers. The net impact of their decision regardless of the actual intent is I don't have to see irresponsible assholes post spoilers in their thumbnails and titles. As a fan I'm satisfied.
You're not because then you'd understand that this prevents nothing. Capture cards exist and are fairly common in this age of Twitching.

fvng

You're not because then you'd understand that this prevents nothing. Capture cards exist and are fairly common in this age of Twitching.

Yeah no shit we all know about capture cards.. from my understanding they will still pursue takedowns of videos that circumvent the blocking of uploading key scenes. If they don't do that I'll concede, but by merely disabling native steaming on PS4, it will do a lot to mitigate and bottleneck the amount of spoilers on YouTube. My hope is they enforce this policy on spoilers captured on capture cards and issue video takedowns.

Fancolors

I understand that on paper this policy seems anti-gamer, but honestly nothing is more disrespectful to video game storytelling than giving away key plot points in thumbnails and titles as clickbait. I'd rather direct my anger at them..

I have no control of what I see in the recommended videos sidebar so you are at the mercy of others hopefully being considerate.

For Atlus it's damned if you do damned if you don't. Try to protect the end users enjoyment of the game and you get seen as an "out of touch" game publisher. I honestly see this move as a company respecting the art and wanting to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the game.

I wish Square Enix had YouTube spoiler police for Nier Automata and took down videos that spoiled key plot points in thumbnails and titles.

Again, I would rather direct my hate at spoiler happy YouTubers than a company trying to prevent their work from being ruined.

Warning Nier Spoiler Screenshot - A great example of the type of shit visible in plain sight when using youtube.

This is the type of shit I had to deal with before even finishing Automata.

I'm really glad Atlus is sticking to their guns and not losing sight of their goal to preserve P5's experience for gamers.

It doesn't change a thing as far as spoilers are concerned. Notice that the screenshot you provided barely have any views on the videos. Those channels are too small to care and will keep uploading spoilers with or without Atlus's consent in this matter. They have no way of stopping this kind of shit.

Blocking share functions also do nothing because capture cards exist and smartphones can take pictures of any relevant information. All it manages to do is impede people who want to stream to a small amount of friends. Any asshole who is maliciously spoiling the game will do so by other means.

fvng

It doesn't change a thing as far as spoilers are concerned. Notice that the screenshot you provided barely have any views on the videos. Those channels are too small to care and will keep uploading spoilers with or without Atlus's consent in this matter. They have no way of stopping this kind of shit.

Blocking share functions also do nothing because capture cards exist and smartphones can take pictures of any relevant information. All it manages to do is impede people who want to stream to a small amount of friends. Any asshole who is maliciously spoiling the game will do so by other means.

The number of views on those videos are irrelevant. The issue at hand is someone will see those spoiler videos recommended on the right side of their YouTube interface whether they want to or not.

I understand there is no 100% perfect way to prevent spoilers on YouTube but what they've done is bottleneck uploaded streams to anyone who owns a capture card where as before 100% of PS4 uses could theoretically upload spoiler footage.

I'm not angry at Altus, their policy does not adversely impact me in any way. What DOES impact me more are lame YouTube creators desperate to get clicks so they drop massive spoilers in their videos which hits my line of sight whether I want it to or not.

The point would be cute if Atlus didn't release spoilers in their statement.

Atlus gives no fucks if you are spoiled. They, per the norm for an out of touch Japanese company, believe that LPs and Streams equal lost purchases.

Fancolors

The number of views on those videos are irrelevant. The issue at hand is someone will see those spoiler videos recommended on the right side of their YouTube interface whether they want to or not.

I understand there is no 100% perfect way to prevent spoilers on YouTube but what they've done is bottleneck uploaded streams to anyone who owns a capture card where as before 100% of PS4 uses could theoretically upload spoiler footage.

I'm not angry at Altus, their policy does not adversely impact me in any way. What DOES impact me more are lame YouTube creators desperate to get clicks so they drop massive spoilers in their videos which hits my line of sight whether I want it to or not.
It's not the views I'm talking about. I'm pointing out at the fact that what Atlus is doing won't stop the existence of those videos because those uploaders don't care. Atlus's actions aren't stopping them, it is only giving trolls more reasons to act maliciously. They will be in your line of sight regardless. Hell, a twitterbot was made with this purpose.

And while it may not affect you. This still potentially impacts sales negatively and a lot of people were expecting to get into it through streamers. This is just a shitty way of engaging with potential customers.

BigDes

So what is to stop me having a video of something random but titling it like Persona 5: Darth Vader is Harry's Dad.

Like the content of the video is largely irrelevant if I wanted to use the title to be a spoilery dick.

I don't see how this policy will have any effect in negating spoilers in anyway. Especially since the game had been out in Japan for months now. The floodgates have been opened for a while, the lake bed is already dry.

Either the people who were gonna monitor stuff are on a break at the moment, or the main intention of the announcement was to discourage and greatly lower the number of streamers and LPers from streaming/posting videos.

According to twitchstats, P5 still only has a peak of only 22k viewers and an average of 20 channels streaming. Those numbers should be much higher during the first week of a release for a high profile game, which is usually when you see the strongest numbers.

To compare:

BOTW had a peak of 148k viewers and an average of over 250 average channels
Nioh had a peak of 92k viewers and averaged 150 channels
ME:A had a peak of 71k viewers and an average of 245 channels
Yakuza 0 had a peak of 37k viewers and an average of 17 channels
Nier Automata had a peak of 22k viewers and averaged 59 channels
Especially since the higher profile guys who did streams of P4 aren't even touching it anymore.

Shit it was sitting barely lower when it released in Japan.

You have to be pretty dense to think Atlus is doing this because of "spoilers". They simply want brand control and don't want to ease off of fair use because they want to limit over share to throttle a few more sales from the game they think might be lost from streaming.

It has never and will never be because of "spoilers".

Orfeas

If you're so concerned about spoilers in thumbnails go install Distraction Free Youtube. Solves all your problems without having to blanket an entire game with copyright strikes.

fvng

It's not the views I'm talking about. I'm pointing out at the fact that what Atlus is doing won't stop the existence of those videos because those uploaders don't care. Atlus's actions aren't stopping them, it is only giving trolls more reasons to act maliciously. They will be in your line of sight regardless. Hell, a twitterbot was made with this purpose.

And while it may not affect you. This still potentially impacts sales negatively and a lot of people were expecting to get into it through streamers. This is just a shitty way of engaging with potential customers.

How does their policy impact you? What is the downside to their policy?

If you're so concerned about spoilers in thumbnails go install Distraction Free Youtube. Solves all your problems without having to blanket an entire game with copyright strikes.

Installing a chrome extension because assholes post huge game spoilers does not get to the root of the problem. Many of these spoiler videos will pop up on top of your feed on the mobile YouTube app, which is even more in your face than a sidebar recommendation. I shouldn't have to work around people being assholes

So what is to stop me having a video of something random but titling it like Persona 5: Darth Vader is Harry's Dad.

Like the content of the video is largely irrelevant if I wanted to use the title to be a spoilery dick.

I don't see how this policy will have any effect in negating spoilers in anyway. Especially since the game had been out in Japan for months now. The floodgates have been opened for a while, the lake bed is already dry.

It's not intended to be a cure all. Why is it all or nothing with gamers? Who cares? This policy negatively negatively impacts NOONE which is why all the complaints have been focused on the effectiveness on the policy as opposed to it hurting their experience.

I mean... I would've liked to take screenshots and have the trophies that unlock get screenshots. That would've been nice.

It's not intended to be a cure all. Why is it all or nothing with gamers? Who cares? This policy negatively negatively impacts NOONE which is why all the complaints have been focused on the effectiveness on the policy as opposed to it hurting their experience.

Really? I don't really agree, personally.

Ray Down

Banned

I really doubt that's why they are doing it.

They care about streamers hurting their sales and having control, nothing more. Streamers have to put up with it and suffer because their stupid polices.

But because you aren't affect by this, your like: "Fuck you guys I got mine. Go Atlus, respecting games and art." (which isn't what they are doing).

Kthulhu

I have tried telling my friends why they should buy P5. They ask what kind of game it is, get confused, and I have no video to make it easier to understand.

GG Atlus. You are actively making it harder for me to shill for you.

This does nothing about spoilers .

Spoilers on the internet since September 2016.
Spoilers are on youtube since that same date.

If someone is scared of being spoilered , then just adapt your browsing patterns to avoid such spoilers.

Completely ignoring that differents consuming habits exist and blunty saying that you don't care about those affected is just silly.
it doesn't matter if this doesn't affect you, this affect tons of people .This create a dangerous precedent.
Even if this doesn't affect you , one should be able to change his viewpoint to see the problem middle and long term.

Why have some people stopped thinking ? This is so annoying

As opposed to those impacted because they can't take screenshots , use system wide feature to show the game to their friends am i rite ?
Why are you saying that this policy has no impact on own experience when people have already posted that it does ?

yeah I'm thinking critically and I appreciate their hardline stance on spoilers.

If you think Atlus has a "stance on spoilers" here then you are not thinking critically about the situation that obtains, no. Taking corporate statements that don't pass even trivial smell tests as accurate and truthful descriptions of the goals and intent behind an action is the height of ingenuousness.

Sami+

Installing a chrome extension because assholes post huge game spoilers does not get to the root of the problem. Many of these spoiler videos will pop up on top of your feed on the mobile YouTube app, which is even more in your face than a sidebar recommendation. I shouldn't have to work around people being assholes

The policy negatively impacts anyone that wants to take screenshots, stream, or record videos on their console for themselves or for their viewers or friends. It negatively impacts popular YouTube and twitch personalities and negatively impacts the people that enjoy watching them.

Many on this forum got into Persona because of Giant Bomb back in the day. You're being a whiner baby who wants to take the ball and go home when there are perfectly viable solutions for your self-made problems (like the chrome extensions people have recommended you), and if you seriously don't see why anyone would be upset by this then you're thinking extremely selfishly.

Top Bottom