• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A personal message.

Mohonky

Ailynn can barely handle any.

Calling complete bullshit on this.

She has way more tolerance than I do when it comes to the shit some people post in threads about transgender issues, and give a reasonable buffer on ignorance.

If someone makes a comment that is derogatory I let it slide of I can see its ignorance or a general lack of understanding; but some of the posts are straight bullshit

Papa

Banned
pretty tasteless to be honest be more creative without persona attacks
Christ. This is the sort of the shit that makes this place look terrible. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but this kind of shit ain't right.
Alright dude, tone it down a notch. It's okay to have an opinion about a certain subject and it's okay to communicate it accordingly. This ain't cool.

Oh for fucks sake, grow a pair. The cartoon is light-hearted and funny. The butt of the joke is (deservedly) NI and Ailynn even liked the post. Get off your damn high horses and lighten the fuck up ya bunch of soft cocks.

Shifty

am i the fat smiling guy?
evDp0B8.png

Papa

Banned
Discussion is good. People aren't always going to agree, and that is fine. The "comic" above is repulsive and should not be allowed. Personal attacks are inappropriate. While over-moderation is a serious concern, this is a pretty basic line that should not be crossed. Ailynn seems like a valuable member of this community and should be able to come here without personal attacks (as we all should be able to.)

Repulsive? Take your fainting couch theatrics to Resetera.

I_D

Antoon Antoon your punctuation and capitalization need SIGNIFICANT work. I'm offended by your lack of proficiency in what is likely your native-language.

This is the proper response to your posts. I'm totally cool with this.

You have to admit, though, that this is a fairly new addition to the forum: the idea of posting memes directed at specific users. I can absolutely see why somebody would be offended by this, because it's not the norm. I don't think your intention was to insult anybody, but I do think it'll be a while before people are able to handle being directly called-out in meme-form. I wouldn't be surprised if some people get really angry at you for this. Combined with all of your drive-by threads, I can absolutely see why this wouldn't go over well, except in the exactly-proper situation.

Again, I don't really have an issue with it, provided people realize it's just a joke, but I'd put up my flame-shields if I was in your place.

Your grammar skills, however... you should be ashamed. Capital letters in the middle of a sentence? C'mon, son.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

@Nobody_Important was obviously talking about value for the discussion and climate here in this forum. Not as a human being wholesale. In terms of importance for a community or a certain function the importance of individuals can vary greatly.

Well, I dispute that the value for the discussion of any given opinion is dependnat not on the opinion itself but on who's presenting it. That's just awful epistemology but seems to be an undercurrent gaining some traction.

Cosmogony

(…)
Antoon has led a constant campaign against the trans community and @Ailynn has engaged him in a mature and respectful manner in many of those threads to no avail. Look at his thread history.

You are entitled to disliking his posting habits and welcome to not taking part in any of his threads. You seem unable to resist the temptation, though. But it really shows a nerve beyond the pale to accuse others of not wanting to debate in good faith. You constantly post baseless claim after baseless claim and when confronted with the facts you disappear in thin air.

But, hey, do whatever it takes to insulate your irrational beliefs.

No one made anyone leave. The person in question decided to leave. I would like such person to stay, among other reasons, because there are questions I'd like answered and think would make for an interesting conversation. But, ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide. If the opinions of others bother you to the point of not wanting to frequent an entire section, maybe a controversial section is not the right place for you, which is fine and understandable. It doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea.

Its not that one thread. It the culmination everything that he and others have brought to the section when it comes to the trans community and that sections opinion of it.

Absurd comment.

There's no such thing as the section's opinion. Individual members do have opinions. Nothing is brought upon the section except debate when members express their opinions. You seem to be struggling with the concept.
Deal with it.

Improve your own opinions, for starters, and, believe me, there's lots of room for improvement.

Get this through your head: it is entirely possible to be compassionate and show genuine empathy towards individual trans people and still disagree with a Trans person's opinion or the agenda that seems to be currently driving the Trans rights movement.

Yet this simple truth seems so difficult for you to digest.

She has every right to step away after the amount of shit that section has posted.

The right was always there and at no point was it relinquished.
No one needs to justify themselves when leaving. They can leave and come back at any point.

I sure lament Ailynn's decision to leave and hope Ailynn will reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, I dispute that the value for the discussion of any given opinion is dependnat not on the opinion itself but on who's presenting it. That's just awful epistemology but seems to be an undercurrent gaining some traction.
You may notice that I did not say anything about the value of the opinion, but the value of the discussion participant to the discussion. Which is not equal the value of his opinion, because the way someone presents his opinion and how he engages others on a topic play into the value of the discussion participant. I would argue more even than the opinion itself.

gela94

I'm not exactly sure what is going on, it's hard to follow a thread if its based on other threads and posting history of members. But a big thing that alot of people always forget is that it is very easy to misunderstand the written word, because we don't see the face and don't hear the tone of voice to help us how exactly it was meant and for this reason emojis got invented :messenger_beaming: What I like in this thread is the spontaneous outbreak of creativity, that was something I always liked here on NeoGaf. So communication in the written form can be pretty hard, I for example would post much more often if my english writing skills wouldn't be so fxxx :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tesseract

Banned
You may notice that I did not say anything about the value of the opinion, but the value of the discussion participant to the discussion. Which is not equal the value of his opinion, because the way someone presents his opinion and how he engages others on a topic play into the value of the discussion participant. I would argue more even than the opinion itself.

wait what are you saying here, can you rephrase this

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
wait what are you saying here, can you rephrase this
- I did not talk about the value of opinions for a discussion
- I did talk about the value of discussion participants for a discussion
- These two are distinct
- Properties of the participant that do not hinge on the specific position include: form of engagement, presentation of arguments
- In many cases these properties are even more important towards judging the value of a discussion participant to the discussion than the opinion he stands for itself

EDIT: For some strange reason my posting contained an @ for Ailynn. If you got a notification for that, sorry about that :(.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
It doesn't matter what other people say, you can't take it personally and be so sensitive about it. The world does not exist at your pleasure. It exists to spite you. There is nothing you think or believe that won't be challenged - repeatedly and rudely - by people online, and you can either accept that challenge and take it on, or you can succumb to it.

Ailynn can barely handle any. Wherever a reasonable person would find the line, it would still be two steps too far for her. And wherever the line is, it will be crossed with extreme prejudice at any time. I've had the entire internet calling for my blood before, and if you think a reasonably polite discussion about transgenderism is bad, trying getting phone calls at home and a thousand pieces of hate mail a day, some with actual death threats and illustrations of people performing sex acts to your skull. And you can never predict when something like that will happen to you or for what reason. One day, you just wake up and the witch hunt is on your doorstep.

You can't wait for someone else to come and save you. You have to step it up and be ready or you will go into a depression you may not ever come out of. Having thick skin won't protect you completely, but it will absolutely save you in your times of greatest need.

Having thick skin can also prove useful if you try to help people in need instead of letting them get bullied to toughen up old school style.
I had a discussion with my cousins who are members of a local communist party and one is even active in the rap scene and he supported this view.
Unfortunately even in left leaning working class people the anti-lbgt prejudice is strong.

Top Bottom