• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A quick history and timeline of Derek Smart vs. Chris Roberts (Star Citizen)

Nohar

I'm honestly surprised Smart wasn't sued in the past for some of his actions (and that he isn't broke).

I have my doubts about Star Citizen, and I still wonder if some allegations are true (the truth is we don't know), but Smart has no credibility. His very presence in this mess will be anything but helpful: he is poisoning the well for possible legitimate worries. He is a smokescreen. He is just harmful: his actions won't help those who have concerns about Star Citizen, and will harm the project and the whole company (there are people's jobs at stake for Christ sake!). He has a personal vendetta against Chris Roberts and his company. It has come to the point that it doesn't matter if anything he may have said is remotely true: he has such a big "Ad Hominem" target (one which he is 100% responsible for) on his back that no one who is aware of what he did in the past will pay attention to him.

In any case, thank you very much for the write-up, it was a very interesting read.

Cleve

Smart's a mess, the guy always has been. My first exposure to him was the reviews surrounding BC3KAD being considered one of the most broken PC releases at the time it came out.

The guy's been an internet comic joke and a truly unpleasant presence in any discussion he's been involved in for the past 20 years. In a lot of ways I feel bad for him. He's pretty clearly ruled by his emotions (which mainly seem to be envy and jealousy) and can't deal well with others. The recent events are nothing new for the guy.

Spladam

I'm honestly surprised Smart wasn't sued in the past for some of his actions (and that he isn't broke).

I have my doubts about Star Citizen, and I still wonder if some allegations are true (the truth is we don't know), but Smart has no credibility. His very presence in this mess will be anything but helpful: he is poisoning the well for possible legitimate worries. He is a smokescreen. He is just harmful: his actions won't help those who have concerns about Star Citizen, and will harm the project and the whole company (there are people's jobs at stake for Christ sake!). He has a personal vendetta against Chris Roberts and his company. It has come to the point that it doesn't matter if anything he may have said is remotely true: he has such a big "Ad Hominem" target (one which he is 100% responsible for) on his back that no one who is aware of what he did in the past will pay attention to him.

In any case, thank you very much for the write-up, it was a very interesting read.

You know I see lots of folks saying this, and I'd like to agree, but do we think Lizzy Finnegan did not know about his past? Did she know about his history with Roberts? I wondered this often since the original "Eject" article. Did she not suspect an ulterior motive? Strange. Maybe she just gave him the benefit of the doubt, or maybe he charmed her, as he strangely seems to have some sort of charisma about him.... in a weird sort of way.
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

RK9039

You know I see lots of folks saying this, and I'd like to agree, but do we think Lizzy Finnegan did not know about his past? Did she know about his history with Roberts? I wondered this often since the original "Eject" article. Did she not suspect an ulterior motive? Strange. Maybe she just gave him the benefit of the doubt, or maybe he charmed her, as he strangely seems to have some sort of charisma about him.... in a weird sort of way.

Considering the stupidity surrounding the "company ID cards" I don't think the writer did any homework, mostly read Derek Smart's blog, which was admitted by the writer on their podcast, and ran with that.

Thanks for the timeline and write up. I've heard of the name 'Derek Smart' throughout the years, like a mythical creature that would pop up on message boards akin to the bogey man but never wanted to delve into the madness, it's good to see it in context.

I don't know why but I'd always envisaged him as some stooped over, greying and thinning, crotchety old man telling the youngsters to get off his porch whilst saying they don't know what they're talking about and it was so much better in his day. To look at pictures of him in actuality he looks like he could be a relatively sane and together person.

bj00rn_

Banned
My concern with a lot of this stuff is the 'shoot the messenger' aspect.

Someone says something negative about Star Citizen and suddenly a whole host of people pop up to attack the messenger. That's unhealthy, and leads to a lack of oversight.

CIG *should* be getting pressure for failing to deliver, and they're not.

If Derek Smart had suggested bad things about any other project, this would have blown over in a day... something is very, very wrong in how the fanbase of that title are reacting.

This is complete and utter bullshit. The evidence is for one DS's past well-documented infamy as a disgruntled loser/lunatic who doesn't know anything better than to try to tear down things he can't build. This started decades before SC, and thus what you write, trying to label a whole group of people who just genuinely are excited for a game, is extra fucking offensive.

Before he was just another pathetic internet troll with some extra weight as a "developer" behind him. But now he's coordinated, and have gullible press weight behind him (how the fuck did the Escapist go along with this, are they this desperate for clicks, I just can't fathom it... it's bizarre). So he's capable of doing a lot more damage now, and he will most likely be sued if he continues like this, of course.

DieH@rd

Banned
Another year, another Derek Smart hate-filled online screaming campaign. Shame Escapist fell for his ramblings.

edit-

"Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble." - Derek Smart, 2006

tuxfool

Banned
My concern with a lot of this stuff is the 'shoot the messenger' aspect.

Someone says something negative about Star Citizen and suddenly a whole host of people pop up to attack the messenger. That's unhealthy, and leads to a lack of oversight.

CIG *should* be getting pressure for failing to deliver, and they're not.

If Derek Smart had suggested bad things about any other project, this would have blown over in a day... something is very, very wrong in how the fanbase of that title are reacting.

Plenty of people have been critical of the project. Not many have been resorting to ad-hominems and personal attacks on the people working on the project. They don't get talked about because they don't have the history shown in the OP.

KDR_11k

Seems likely that she fell for it because of the affinity arising from both being Gamergaters. People falling for crap because it's being pushed by someone in the same political movement happens all the time. It's how a lot of shitty pundits keep their job despite being consistently wrong.

Bedlam

Nice, Derek's Line of Defense "game" is finally discussed in a Steam forum where he can't ban users and delete posts at will:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamscamreport/discussions/0/487870763304015059/#p1

edit: Of course Derek had to jump into this thread as well, immediately badmouthing SC when no one did even mention that game.

Let's be real, LOD is not a game. It's a couple of atrocious maps and terrible shooting mechanics, thrown together in state so buggy and sloppy it even makes most Unity-asset-abusing amateur-shooters out there look good. This is so not-a-game, not even Derek is able to provide a gameplay video when people demanded one (as no one has really seen what you can call "gameplay" of this ... thing).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Was the point to actually provide an objective timeline of the conflict or to just bash Derek Smart?

L Thammy

Was the point to actually provide an objective timeline of the conflict or to just bash Derek Smart?

Is it terrible that I can no longer read the word "objective" on video game forums as anything but "presenting both sides as equal whether or not they actually are"?

BlackRock

Seems likely that she fell for it because of the affinity arising from both being Gamergaters. People falling for crap because it's being pushed by someone in the same political movement happens all the time. It's how a lot of shitty pundits keep their job despite being consistently wrong.

That's a great point and you may be right. Ingroup bias is a real thing. We all tend to attribute better qualities and place more confidence in those we consider to be like us as opposed to others. It's entirely possible that the affinity of GG may have allowed Lizzy to less critically judge what Derek was alleging than other journalists (who rejected running the story). This is why it's important that journalists take care in following established rules of the profession, because we are all capable of these sorts of invisible bias that we don't even tend to see in ourselves unless we really pay attention critically.

Bedlam

Unlike this thread, here's a pretty unbiased view of someone's observations on the current Star Citizen drama: http://www.allenstroud.co.uk/2015/10/star-citizen-condition-red.html?m=1
It should be noted that the guy just thanked Derek Smart for the nice chat on twitter. Make of that what you will.

To me it looks like someone with no knowledge of Smart's antics is falling for his BS. The description of him in Strout's blog post is pretty sugar-coated, to put it mildly. Naturally, Derek promptly advertised the blog post on his twitter, as with anything else that paints him in a good light and criticizes SC.

BlackRock

It should be noted that the guy just thanked Derek Smart for the nice chat on twitter. Make of that what you will.

To me it looks like someone with no knowledge of Smart's antics is falling for his BS. The description of him in Strout's blog post is pretty sugar-coated, to put it mildly. Naturally, Derek promptly advertised the blog post on his twitter, as with anything else that paints him in a good light and criticizes SC.

The author is also a major supporter/fan of Elite Dangerous - a direct competitor to SC. He fully discloses this, but it should also be kept in mind.

tuxfool

Banned
The author is also a major supporter/fan of Elite Dangerous - a direct competitor to SC. He fully discloses this, but it should also be kept in mind.

I don't think that pits one against another project. There are plenty of people interested in both.

BlackRock

I don't think that pits one against another project. There are plenty of people interested in both.

True, and I'm not saying he's got it in for SC or doing anything underhanded. I don't mean to make that insinuation and I correct myself if I have. He did make it clear, however, that SC isn't his thing while Elite is. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it makes someone an unbiased source as the original link poster suggests.

The worst part about the Smart + Escapist shitshow against Star Citizen is that it doesn't even have to be true. Bombard people with the lies and concern trolling and people will eventually start to be skeptical themselves, and then at that point the narrative shifts to the onus being on CIG to prove that the allegations are false.

Is that you Derek?

Things don't have to appear equal to be objective. WB has some terrible practices when it comes to publishing. That's objective even if WB would rather it not be said.

tuxfool

Banned
Is that you Derek?

Things don't have to appear equal to be objective. WB has some terrible practices when it comes to publishing. That's objective even if WB would rather it not be said.

I think it is the other way around.

To be objective things don't have to be equal.

e: I'm stupid and can't read. Ignore this. Though I will say that objectivity does rely on certain language and the avoidance of superlatives.

bede-x

Bombard people with the lies and concern trolling and people will eventually start to be skeptical themselves, and then at that point the narrative shifts to the onus being on CIG to prove that the allegations are false.

People have a right to be skeptical. Star Citizen dreams bigger than any game out there right now and while that in itself can be hugely exciting, it's almost impossible to deliever on a dream like that. I still expect it to be extremely janky, when it finally releases much later and smaller than originally envisioned.

Bedlam

People have a right to be skeptical. Star Citizen dreams bigger than any game out there right now and while that in itself can be hugely exciting, it's almost impossible to deliever on a dream like that. I still expect it to be extremely janky, when it finally releases much later and smaller than originally envisioned.
"Being skeptical" is a far cry from what Derek does.

bede-x

"Being skeptical" is a far cry from what Derek does.

I am in no way defending Derek, more the right to be skeptical when a game attempts as much as Star Citizen. And it's possible to be skeptical, while still finding the project fascinating and hoping it succeeds. Which I do (even if don't really believe the dream is possible).

BlackRock

I am in no way defending Derek, more the right to be skeptical when a game attempts as much as Star Citizen. And it's possible to be skeptical, while still finding the project fascinating and hoping it succeeds. Which I do (even if don't really believe the dream is possible).

I think many people are skeptical about whether or not SC can pull off everything CIG claims. I am. There's nothing wrong with that either. What is the real issue here are the allegations of crimes being committed. That's entirely different than saying CIG is not a fun place to work or that you are skeptical SC will meet it's goals or even be released.

Honestly, Derek Smart ranting away on Twitter and his blog making all sorts of wild accusations doesn't even really bother me that much. It's who Derek is and it's frankly expected. What really bothers me is The Escapist and their deplorable journalism in running with these accusations. It is not ok to accuse people of racial discrimination, fraud, and other crimes without sufficient proof. The collective word of several former, very possibly disgruntled, employees, also very possibly in collusion with each other and organized by Derek, is just not sufficient for such serious charges. Any reputable, professional journalist wouldn't accept that. Nor would they dare to publish without allowing the accused parties to respond. I think it's to the overall credit of the game media that other publications followed the established standard and refused to run the story.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is becoming way to much about Derek Smart, and not enough about what's actually happening at CGI.

I guess that how Chris Roberts wants it, though. Mission accomplished.

Spladam

That's a great point and you may be right. Ingroup bias is a real thing. We all tend to attribute better qualities and place more confidence in those we consider to be like us as opposed to others. It's entirely possible that the affinity of GG may have allowed Lizzy to less critically judge what Derek was alleging than other journalists (who rejected running the story). This is why it's important that journalists take care in following established rules of the profession, because we are all capable of these sorts of invisible bias that we don't even tend to see in ourselves unless we really pay attention critically.

I think KDR may be on to something, I kind of suspected the same, it's how I originally thought Lizzy got played and why I wanted to source their tweet conversations about GG before the "Eject" piece. I had suspicions that DS embroiled himself into that GG feud (let's be honest, he came out of left field) to collect some support, as he is aware of the physiological phenomenon that KDR describes, it might even be a subconscious play by him. Maybe I'm over speculating, but KDR is right, we do give more relevance and sympathy to the subjects brought by a person of an allied point of view.

Unlike this thread, here's a pretty unbiased view of someone's observations on the current Star Citizen drama: http://www.allenstroud.co.uk/2015/10/star-citizen-condition-red.html?m=1
Very interesting read, and the author makes some good points.

Do you have suggestions of how I could make it less bias? I tried to stick with the facts, and I did not defend CIG, as I DO believe there are problems there. What could I have said different.?

This is becoming way to much about Derek Smart, and not enough about what's actually happening at CGI.

I guess that how Chris Roberts wants it, though. Mission accomplished.

It has become too much about DS, but I don't think this is because of a maneuver by Chris Roberts, Derek Smart makes it about Derek Smart, just read his personnel blogs that started all of this. Chris Roberts just angrily responded to what he perceived as an attack on his family, but that is not to say there is no legitimacy to what the NDA bound ex-employees told to people anonymously.

-Edit: I realized in all fairness that I should have sourced links to Mr. Smart's personal blog articles in the history, so I just did that.

I would like to not come off "Anti-Derek", as I would like to have a real discourse about all of this, especially any real evidence for troubles Roberts and Company might be legitimately having, and a discussion for a solution. I really want to see Star Citizen succeed. Wouldn't it be ironic if Derek Smart ended up helping to save Star Citizen by getting Chris to relinquish some control to his brother Erin? We all know Erin can make a good game as well.

Do you realize that you are only giving Mr. "Not So Smart" more fuel, right?

To me he seems a person that is angry cause he failed, failed, failed (too many times) in what he dreams and see the other guy doing it with success.

It is like a random guy in Mid Ages that was angry at da Vinci cause, you know it, he had the idea to paint a portrait like Mona Lisa.

Spladam

Do you realize that you are only giving Mr. "Not So Smart" more fuel, right?

To me he seems a person that is angry cause he failed, failed, failed (too many times) in what he dreams and see the other guy doing it with success.

It is like a random guy in Mid Ages that was angry at da Vinci cause, you know it, he had the idea to paint a portrait like Mona Lisa.

I can assure you, Mr. Smart will never run out of fuel, regardless.

"Not So Smart"- I'm pretty sure that Mr. Smart is indeed pretty smart, possibly a bit insecure, but hey, most of us are, he's just more outspoken about it I think.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but I meant that he is doing the same things, with almost the same results, for more than 20 years. Sure all that energy wasted in his rants could have been used into something more productive, right? Why waste his time with CR?
↓ Ok, well said.

I can assure you, Mr. Smart will never run out of fuel, regardless.

"Not So Smart"- I'm pretty sure that Mr. Smart is indeed pretty smart, possibly a bit insecure, but hey, most of us are, he's just more outspoken about it I think.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but I meant that he is doing the same things, with almost the same results, for more than 20 years. Sure all that energy wasted in his rants could have been used into something more productive, right? Why waste his time with CR?

B4s5C

Great write up.

I'm just baffled that someone can let a grudge go on for so many years. At some point, I would think he would just say "Fuck it." and bow out or redirect those emotions elsewhere.

Armaros

No, because that's almost always what the poster means.

Derek Smart has decades of insane, malicious behavior, of bullying, taunting, and stealing labor from contract workers. But we still have to be "objective" like an informal discussion about this lunatic is in a courtroom where the judge just declared all his past actions inadmissable.

Remember all the threads about 'objective game reviews' that basiclly read as 'don't have any personal opinions while making a review'?

Until the Mods started to clamp down on that since it always derailed into 'X reviewer is a shill'

L Thammy

No, because that's almost always what the poster means.

Derek Smart has decades of insane, malicious behavior, of bullying, taunting, and stealing labor from contract workers. But we still have to be "objective" like an informal discussion about this lunatic is in a courtroom where the judge just declared all his past actions inadmissable.

This type of thinking goes beyond videogame discussions, by the way. It's the default mode of discourse for ignorant twenty-something dudes all over the internet.

Have you ever considered that maybe Chris Roberts wanted to be hounded by some never-was for twenty years? He could just be doing this for the publicity.

...I'm joking, but look at this very page.

Spladam

I've added some history of Derek's actions after the initial release of Battle Cruiser 3000 AD that I should not have left out, as it speaks to Mr. Smart's character, and is one of the reason I think of him as such a tragic character. He really does want to give us a cool space game, even if he goes about all the other stuff in a strange way.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've added some history of Derek's actions after the initial release of Battle Cruiser 3000 AD that I should not have left out, as it speaks to Mr. Smart's character, and is one of the reason I think of him as such a tragic character. He really does want to give us a cool space game, even if he goes about all the other stuff in a strange way.

I've been waiting 2 decades for a Derek Smart space game on PC just so I can mod in vending machines to replace enemy ships.

Sadly, the obstacle that prevents him from making his dream game is himself. A tragic character, indeed. He still is a jerk, though.

LordCiego

Great write-up OP.

And to think all of this could have not escalated this way if they just followed and old Internet advice: "Dont feed the troll".

True, and I'm not saying he's got it in for SC or doing anything underhanded. I don't mean to make that insinuation and I correct myself if I have. He did make it clear, however, that SC isn't his thing while Elite is. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure it makes someone an unbiased source as the original link poster suggests.

I'm just linking it as more of a third-party source who's not really involved in the game itself and the drama between SC and their backers and Derek Smart and their supporters.

Also, I'd add what happened during month of July, which basically started the whole refund drama (as well as a hilarious tweet of Smart linking SA goons members spreadsheet thinking it was a refund list).

http://gamerant.com/star-citizen-refund-controversy-930/

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/15/8971305/star-citizen-refunds-derek-smart

Top Bottom