• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Reputable Leaker Claims that Square Enix is Working on a Remake to the Beloved PlayStation 2 Game Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy has always been about innovation and change, and Dragon Quest has always been about tradition and fighting the same monsters designed in the same way with the same interface listening to the same music for 30 years straight.

That is a partially snarky response, but genuinely Final Fantasy doesn't get enough credit for how much they change core mechanics, setting, themes, etc between games. That is pretty ballsy for a prestige franchise. Like, looking back it is insane to me that they followed up Final Fantasy VII, the game that was the first exposure for millions to JRPGs in the first place and had a clever but fairly straightforward leveling and materia system, with the fucking junction system and level scaling enemies.

They changed elements for sure but it was always turn-based.

They had Seiken Densetsu as their primary action rpg series and then Kingdom Hearts... there was really no reason to do this with Final Fantasy.

And as a result they haven't been able to push the visuals as hard as they used to.

Why not ff6 or the ff 4 i think with cecil!!!
What do they have against 5 and 6?
Those games would take a decade to make. FFX is a linear experience with selectable map points. The original sold well and was received well. It will also look graphically amazing remade because of this. It's a win/win/win/win.

But I thought it was gonna be 9?
Both can exist.

Or they made a typo and meant FFIX.

Calverz

Bro they just remastered it a few years ago lol
It was actually nearly 10 years ago….
Aging Matt Damon GIF

They aint unlikeable but Squal, Tidus, Van and Noctis aint the best proag tho. Wouldn't say lightning is worse like at all.
LOL really Lighting is a way more unlikable protag, those protags you mentioned are just generic. Lighting reminds me of a screeching feminazi harpy more than anything. That whole cast is terrible but she was by far the worst. Really was the start of the decline of Final Fantasy for me.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Square Enix just living in the edge with those FF remakes..
It seems their creativity for new good IP is roasted..

The way square enix are going, I really wouldn’t be surprised if they are remaking 9 and 10. They are getting desperate and must be looking over at capcom with envy.

Exactly. Capcom is killing it with remakes and have really created a model for everyone else.

There are two ways to do a remake correctly the RE2 way and the Demon's Souls way.

Square Enix tried to go the RE2 way but they really screwed it up.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I mean…can I just play the 13 trilogy on my ps5 please? Don’t even need a remake, just release it. It’s not my favorite in the series by a long shot, but all these other games have been released multiple times over.

Fabieter

LOL really Lighting is a way more unlikable protag, those protags you mentioned are just generic. Lighting reminds me of a screeching feminazi harpy more than anything. That whole cast is terrible but she was by far the worst. Really was the start of the decline of Final Fantasy for me.

Well yea it had its flaws but lighting wasn't so bad but I also played the whole XIII trilogy maybe that changed my mind about her.

Well yea the cast in 10 was better but like half of the cast saved the game. Yuna, Rikku, lulu and Auron. The rest wasnt very good imo.

Fbh

Would much rather have a remake of IV, V or VI instead of a game that was already remastered and still holds up fairly well.
Or just make new games. I'd much rather hear they are advancing on FFXVII and FFXVIII instead of remakes.

The generation of remakes , why? Because older games were better. Need Sony to cough up those God of war 1&2 remakes.

Nah it's because people LOVE nostalgia and selling them on a remake of something they already know and love is way easier than selling them something new.
You think Spiderman No way Home made almost $2 billion at the box office because it has incredible writing and acting?

Would much rather have a remake of IV, V or VI instead of a game that was already remastered and still holds up fairly well.
Or just make new games. I'd much rather hear they are advancing on FFXVII and FFXVIII instead of remakes.

Nah it's because people LOVE nostalgia and selling them on a remake of something they already know and love is way easier than selling them something new.
You think Spiderman No way Home made almost $2 billion at the box office because it has incredible writing and acting?

I was just saying how much I hate that movie due to that in another thread

That's how I feel about SquareEnix nowadays

It's all Remake, Remake, Remake nowadays

They changed elements for sure but it was always turn-based.

They had Seiken Densetsu as their primary action rpg series and then Kingdom Hearts... there was really no reason to do this with Final Fantasy.

And as a result they haven't been able to push the visuals as hard as they used to.
Yeah I get that, I honestly don't think or even want EVERY remake to be action either. I liked the 7 Remake and thought it had a really good battle system, but I am very interested to see what type of modern take on turn based there can be. Like a Dragon was super engaging and fun to play despite having the most basic JRPG combat, so something more advanced could be a blast.

Go_Ly_Dow

Capcom live in easy mode. All they have to do is remake is very linear, very short games (6-10hours), few characters, quite basic cutscenes and a lot of asset reuse in environments. Gameplay remaining the same from start to finish.

Compare whats in your typical RE Remake to what they're having to do for FF7 and it looks like a big difference in terms of undertaking, budget, resources and ideas in general.

Last edited:
Those games would take a decade to make. FFX is a linear experience with selectable map points. The original sold well and was received well. It will also look graphically amazing remade because of this. It's a win/win/win/win.

Both can exist.

Or they made a typo and meant FFIX.
I suppose, but is this SE M-O?
Just remaster all FF games and every
7-8 years they release a new mainline exclusively on one console??

I kinda feel sorry for them as an entity. Everyone sitting at the top has their head shoved up their ass. No new creative IPs, let’s just keep making FF remakes and in 10 years we just remake them again and again and again…..

Exede

So one leaker says 9, the other 10 how about 8? They could fix it. Do we have a leaker for 8? /s

FFX was when the dark ages really spear headed for videogames. It killed final fantasy about as much as mgs2 killed metal gear at the time. Wind waker killed Zelda. It was just a plethora of disappointment for years to come even with suikoden 3, xenosaga and star ocean 3 being just as bad compared to what we had before. It truly was the time to abandon consoles after the Dreamcast died for handhelds like gameboy advance and move onto indie games like cavestory, within a deep forest, mount and blade, Spelunky. And mmorpgs.

Videogames recovered for a short time afterwards but I can never look at that period of FFX, KH, FFX-2, FFTA with anything other than it being the 9/11 of videogames.

Last edited:
I suppose, but is this SE M-O?
Just remaster all FF games and every
7-8 years they release a new mainline exclusively on one console??

I kinda feel sorry for them as an entity. Everyone sitting at the top has their head shoved up their ass. No new creative IPs, let’s just keep making FF remakes and in 10 years we just remake them again and again and again…..
That seems to be a viable plan for FF at the time. They have the cushion of remakes while working on a new one with one of their teams.

I will disagree about the 'no new creative IPs'. Here is a list of releases from this gen and last gen:

Diofield Chronicle
Various Daylife
Star Ocean: Divine Force
Harvestella
Octopath Traveller 2
Forspoken
Babylon's Fall
Balan Wonderworld
The Quiet Man
Paranormasight
Valkyrie Elysium
Triangle Strategy
Dungeon Encounters
Stranger of Paradise
Bravely Default 2
Oninaki
Left Alive
DQ Builders 1 and 2
Lost Sphear
World of FF
I am Setsuna
Nier: Automata

I think the actual argument isn't that they don't have new IPs(and aren't spending money on them), it's that the quality of these IPs is like a roller coaster.

Square Enix should be seen like Bandai Namco, but everyone still views them with Squaresoft-tinted goggles.

Fbh

I was just saying how much I hate that movie due to that in another thread

That's how I feel about SquareEnix nowadays

It's all Remake, Remake, Remake nowadays

Yup that movie is really terrible. And I hate it even more because it's the living proof to all entertainment executives that quality is irrelevant as long as the nostalgia is strong enough.

To be fair to Square though it's not just them. It's the entire industry:
We got TLOU1 Remake, Dead Space Remake, RE4Remake, Demon Souls Remake, Advance Wars remake, etc and looking at the future there's Silent Hill 2 remake, MGS3 remake, May Payne 1-2 remake, Kotor remake, etc

Top Bottom