• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
AHHHHHHHH

Jon burnt his hand on the lamp when he threw it at the Other or zombie........ fire cant hurt a true Targaryen.

Awhhhh yeah.

Oh shit!!

But fire hurt Viserys. I think cause Danys is the prince that was promised she gets special anti-fire powers. Or something.

bengraven

aceface said:
Oh shit!!

But fire hurt Viserys. I think cause Danys is the prince that was promised she gets special anti-fire powers. Or something.

You are right. Look at the Targ who was killed by drinking wildfire. I think only the uber special Targs are allowed to survive heat.

Or only if they know who they are and that they can survive it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Viserys was a weak ass bitch though, Jons a ballin ass MAYNG. I think he's more likely to be a Bartheon bastard than a Dragon..... or just a Stark bastard (borrring), hoping Benjin's still kickin around somewhere.

bengraven

I had a theory about that I posted somewhere else.

Maybe Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love, but it was Robert who raped her and empregnated her. Rhaegar kidnaps her to keep her from him.

Probably drawing at straws, but it was a theory.

Pollux

bengraven said:

Maybe Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love, but it was Robert who raped her and empregnated her. Rhaegar kidnaps her to keep her from him.

boom.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I really wouldn't be surprised if, one way or another, Lyanna's kidnapping wasn't as un-consented as it's made out to be.

bengraven said:
I think only the uber special Targs are allowed to survive heat.
Martin has commented on this. Dany's immunity to fire was a one time special event. The show may have changed this a bit, but even Dany isn't like that normally.

bengraven said:

There's no reason to hide it from Robert if that were true. He'll, he'd probably want to make Jon his heir if that were the case.

Pollux

Basileus777 said:
Martin has commented on this. Dany's immunity to fire one a one time special event. The show may have changed this a bit, but even Dany isn't like that normally.

I don't like the fire thing they did in the show, I liked how in the book IT WAS A ONE TIME THING. Made it more shocking when it happened.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Theres bound to be some significant twist about Jons mother if his father is Ned, or a HUGE twist if its something all together different...... but who would know about it?, Ned seemed to be the only one in the know about Jon and since he's crow shit now along with anyone else who would have know.... Vary's would probably be a bit of a stretch.

q_q

Theres bound to be some significant twist about Jons mother if his father is Ned, or a HUGE twist if its something all together different...... but who would know about it?, Ned seemed to be the only one in the know about Jon and since he's crow shit now along with anyone else who would have know.... Vary's would probably be a bit of a stretch.
Howland Reed.

Howland Reed knows. He went south with Ned during the war, and was the only other survivor of the fight with the Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy.

q_q

Basileus777 said:
There's no reason to hide it from Robert if that were true. He'll, he'd probably want to make Jon his heir if that were the case.
Plus the timeline doesn't add up. A wiki of ice and fire has Lyanna being kidnapped a full two years before she died and Jon was born. R+L=J is the only theory that makes sense. And that includes Ned as his father.

Pikelet

bengraven said:
I was actually thinking it would be cool if he married Sansa. He has a thing for redheads you know, or at least they find they can't resist him. You never hear either of them remark on the other, except maybe a moment when Sansa says "oh a bastard like my brother Jon Snow". I could see them being forced into a marriage somehow and actually finding peace, after they find out they're cousins, not siblings.
That would still be super-weird though

Pollux

q_q said:
Howland Reed.
AKA the most Badass man in Westeros. I don't think we should ever see him, b/c when we do it will be terribly disappointing.

Martin has managed to create one of the biggest badasses in fantasy without even showing him to us lol.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
bengraven said:
Having read the preview chapters/summaries and the review (which had a spoiler), the only major things that we can spoil right now are:

****SPOILERS FOR DANCE****

***I'M ACTUALLY SERIOUS***

Tyrion gets captured by slavers
Theon is still alive and captured by Ramsey, who's broken him
Melisandre and Stannis burn Mance Rayder ---
---Jon mercy kills him with bow and arrow
Janos Slynt starts to plot against Jon so he has him hung

Which is my favorite part from the spoilers so far and what I mentioned above as "sogood". Fuck Slynt.

No, there's a 95% chance he's still alive.

Whether he will take up a sword again or not is in doubt. He really stops caring about being a swordsman even in the middle of Storm. He's kind of done.

Jon turning into a merciless hardass makes me happy.

zmoney said:
AKA the most Badass man in Westeros. I don't think we should ever see him, b/c when we do it will be terribly disappointing.

Martin has managed to create one of the biggest badasses in fantasy without even showing him to us lol.

A badass who got picked on by a bunch of squires and probably had to have a 14 year old girl stick up for him?

Pikelet said:
What do we actually know about him though? I can't think of much from memory, except that he was a good friend of Ned. The Song of Ice and Fire wiki doesn't have much on him either...

He's the Crannogman in the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree that Jojen tells Bran. Nnd Howland Reed saved Ned from Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy.

Pikelet

zmoney said:

What do we actually know about him though? I can't think of much from memory, except that he was a good friend of Ned. The Song of Ice and Fire wiki doesn't have much on him either...

q_q

zmoney said:

Really? I was under the impression he was a Sam-like character. More kind of clumsy but honorable and loyal type. I never thought he was like say, Barristan Fucking Selmy level of badass. Just a loyal friend.

Pollux

q_q said:
Really? I was under the impression he was a Sam-like character. More kind of clumsy but honorable and loyal type. I never thought he was like say, Barristan Fucking Selmy level of badass. Just a loyal friend.
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that his kids are so badass...thus their father must be pretty badass as well....just saying.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

-Howland Reed was one of the six companions of Eddard Stark that went with him to the Tower of Joy, and the only one that survived the fight against the three members of Aerys II's Kingsguard. Eddard said that he would not have survived the battle if it were not for Howland Reed.
-Howland Reed is said to have remained at Greywater's Watch since the end of the war.
-Although the crannongmen did not join Robb Stark's army, they were instructed to protect the Neck if the Lannisters tried to come up to the North.
-Howland Reed sent his children Meera and Jojen to Winterfell to represent the family in the harvest feast and renew the oath to the Starks.
-Meera and Jojen played a significant part in the Starks escape during the fall of Winterfell, and accompanied Bran in his travel to meet the three-eyed crow.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Reed

What was that story about the the swamp knight or something at a tourney one of the kids was telling, was that meant to be Howland?

sharbhund

Jon is the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. There's a lot of speculation that Sam will be the 1000th. Could Jorah be the 999th? His father told Sam that his dying wish was to have his son join the Night's Watch. I was expecting Sam and Jorah to meet up in Braavos in AFFC, but now I'm not sure how they could meet.

q_q

sharbhund said:
Jon is the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. There's a lot of speculation that Sam will be the 1000th. Could Jorah be the 999th? His father told Sam that his dying wish was to have his son join the Night's Watch. I was expecting Sam and Jorah to meet up in Braavos in AFFC, but now I'm not sure how they could meet.
Why would Sam be the 1000th?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Basileus777 said:
IIRC, the implication is pretty clear. And most fan theories say that Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Yeah from what i remember that was the impression i got as well. The Wiki is saying he went to the Isle of Faces with a ton of Weirwood tree's seems to imply something "magical".

The Knight of the Laughing Tree was a mystery knight who fought at the Tourney at Harrenhal. He was small of stature and wore ill-fitting armor made up of bits and pieces. The blazon on his shield was a smiling heart tree, hence the name Knight of the Laughing Tree.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree defeated all his opponents until he was one of the last three champions. When his fallen foes offered him ransom, he said only "Teach your squire honor, that shall be ransom enough". The king, Aerys II, ordered that the knight be unmasked at once, but the next day the knight was nowhere to be found.

Aerys II was furious and sent his son, Rhaegar Targaryen, looking for Knight of the Laughing Tree, but all they found was his shield hanging from a tree.

zmoney said:
Also when the hell do we see Nymeria again? We know she's alive b/c Arya had a wolf dream...

I got the feeling she would somehow hook up with Catelyn and reek some bloody vengeance on the Freys, mass wolf pack sorta shit. Might be wishful thinking though.

So are the other stark kids wargs as well? We've seen arya and john have wolf dreams. Sansa not because she has no wolf, no ideas on rickon, but I bet he does as well. Are they the same "third eye" level as bran? Or only with their specific wolves, whereas bran has more unlimited powers?

ultron87

zmoney said:
Also when the hell do we see Nymeria again? We know she's alive b/c Arya had a wolf dream...

When Arya comes back to Westeros as a brain washed assassin. Nymeria kicks her out of and back to her old self.

Pollux

elrechazao said:
So are the other stark kids wargs as well? We've seen arya and john have wolf dreams. Sansa not because she has no wolf, no ideas on rickon, but I bet he does as well. Are they the same "third eye" level as bran? Or only with their specific wolves, whereas bran has more unlimited powers?
I think Bran is on a whole different level, at the very least he's unlocked that level and the rest of his siblings don't yet have the cheat code

q_q

elrechazao said:
I would say something about Bran's fall gave him some extra powers. Kind of like how they say blind people have better hearing and such. Just speculation on my part.

suzu

I would assume they all have wolfy powers, just varying degrees of power. I think the Old Gods sent them to ~protect the kids~.

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
Martin has commented on this. Dany's immunity to fire was a one time special event. The show may have changed this a bit, but even Dany isn't like that normally.

Maybe she didn't want Robert to raise him and preferred Ned?

Promise me, Ned.

Spire said:
Jon turning into a merciless hardass makes me happy.

Yeah, as much as I thought maybe it was ridiculous that Jon became Lord Commander at that early of an age, but he's really showing his Starkness.

Basileus777 said:
A badass who got picked on by a bunch of squires and probably had to have a 14 year old girl stick up for him?

He's the Crannogman in the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree that Jojen tells Bran. Nnd Howland Reed saved Ned from Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy.

I think you underestimate him. He was really young when that happened and at the time crannogmen had little contact with the outside world.

Which goes along with my theory that either the crannogs consort with the Children or they ARE the children.

q_q

I got the feeling she would somehow hook up with Catelyn and reek some bloody vengeance on the Freys, mass wolf pack sorta shit. Might be wishful thinking though.
The Freys being ripped apart by a pack of wolves? Don't get my dick hard sweetheart.

Pikelet

I'm interested to see where Rickon's story will take us. I got a feeling he could end up being a villain. From the beginning he was kind of a wild child, then he lost both of his parents and is now travelling the country with a wildling woman from north of the wall. I don't see how he could not turn into someone who is all kinds of fucked up.

bengraven

elrechazao said:

Jon - sees through Ghosts eyes while dreaming
Arya - same, wolf takes on his personality as well
Bran - warg
Rickon - his dog takes on his personality, also has prophetic and wolf dreams
Robb - admits to one wolf dream I believe, maybe more, wolf takes on his personality
Sansa - only one who doesn't talk about wolf dreams I believe.

Also would like to see some discussion of the isle of faces....it seems clear there are children of the forest there. Yet nobody talks about them, the maesters all say there are no children anymore, yet at other times everyone seems to accept that there are children on the island. It's not like they're in some super inaccessible place, like beyond the wall or something, so why have they been ignored this long by westeros in general? What gives? Someone's got to go hit up the isle of faces at some point in this story, right?

yacobod

Banned
i can't wait for my brother to call me after episode 9 on sunday and be like WTF Ned and Drogo are dead.

and i'd love to find out at some point in this series what the hell happened at the tower of joy. i guess bran is with the howland reed's kids, so it is possible that they all can meet with howland reed later and get the 411.

how did ned and reed take on 3 kingsguard including arthur dayne the sword of the morning?

bengraven

I don't expect any of the children to meet back up with each other until the last book, if ever.

I liked the two scenes where Bran and Jon nearly met up or talked: when Bran is the tree and talking to Jon in the dream (which Jon thinks is just another dream, but Bran later says "I talked to Jon...it was nice") and then the scene where Summer/Bran helps Jon escape the Wildlings.

I kept wanting them to say or do something and just be like "hey bro..."

Pikelet said:
I'm interested to see where Rickon's story will take us. I got a feeling he could end up being a villain. From the beginning he was kind of a wild child, then he lost both of his parents and is now travelling the country with a wildling woman from north of the wall. I don't see how he could not turn into someone who is all kinds of fucked up.

I'm still convinced Rickon will the be Stark in Winterfell at the end.

Arya is an assassin, Bran is some kind of warg shaman, Sansa is playing the Game of Thrones, Jon is doing who knows what.

yacobod said:
i can't wait for my brother to call me after episode 9 on sunday and be like WTF Ned and Drogo are dead.

We know Ned is going to die, but I wonder if they'll save Drogo for ep 10. Ep 9 will just be his falling from his horse and getting his "treatment".

Realistically we only have 4 important scenes for Dany left, likely two each episode: Drogo falls, Maz does her magic, Dany strangles a lifeless Drogo, dragons.

BanGy.nz

Banned
If every single Frey that had a hand in that bloody (heh) wedding isn't dead by the end of this series I will lose my shit.

Pollux

bengraven said:
I don't expect any of the children to meet back up with each other until the last book, if ever.

I liked the two scenes where Bran and Jon nearly met up or talked: when Bran is the tree and talking to Jon in the dream (which Jon thinks is just another dream, but Bran later says "I talked to Jon...it was nice") and then the scene where Summer/Bran helps Jon escape the Wildlings.

I kept wanting them to say or do something and just be like "hey bro..."

I'm still convinced Rickon will the be Stark in Winterfell at the end.

Arya is an assassin, Bran is some kind of warg shaman, Sansa is playing the Game of Thrones, Jon is doing who knows what.

We know Ned is going to die, but I wonder if they'll save Drogo for ep 10. Ep 9 will just be his falling from his horse and getting his "treatment".

Realistically we only have 4 important scenes for Dany left, likely two each episode: Drogo falls, Maz does her magic, Dany strangles a lifeless Drogo, dragons.

I fucking hate all the close calls. Jesus just let them run into each other for a second lol. It's not just them, its every other damn character

q_q

BanGy.nz said:
If every single Frey that had a hand in that bloody (heh) wedding isn't dead by the end of this series I will lose my shit.
I see what you did there.

BanGy.nz said:

The series will end with Gatehouse Ami on the Iron Throne.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

BanGy.nz said:

Shit for all we know the Freys will be on the throne by the end of the series.

zmoney said:
I fucking hate all the close calls. Jesus just let them run into each other for a second lol. It's not just them, its every other damn character

You want it to happen but you know if it does it will be the end of one story arc, Bran cant very well go "well im off, catch ya later Jon."

yacobod

Banned
bengraven said:

the preview episode from episode 9 made it look like the drogo stuff was going to happen, they were talking about blood for blood, dany was covered in blood, so it looked like an abortion or something gone wrong, so who knows. i can see it happening in either episode.

also looks like they are going to include Jamie getting caught by Stark and Co.

aceface

yacobod said:

and i'd love to find out at some point in this series what the hell happened at the tower of joy. i guess bran is with the howland reed's kids, so it is possible that they all can meet with howland reed later and get the 411.

how did ned and reed take on 3 kingsguard including arthur dayne the sword of the morning?

Drogo's death seems to be the one thing that none of the non book readers see coming. I mean when you think about it, Ned's death is telegraphed miles away but Drogo's death comes out of nowhere. The reactions will be awesome.

aceface

yacobod said:
the preview episode from episode 9 made it look like the drogo stuff was going to happen, they were talking about blood for blood, dany was covered in blood, so it looked like an abortion or something gone wrong, so who knows. i can see it happening in either episode.

also looks like they are going to include Jamie getting caught by Stark and Co.

Remember that Mirri Maz Dur's spell actually does bring Drogo back to life...later on Dany smothers him. I expect the smothering to be in ep 10 with the Mirri Maz Dur stuff in ep 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom