• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
aceface said:
Drogo's death seems to be the one thing that none of the non book readers see coming. I mean when you think about it, Ned's death is telegraphed miles away but Drogo's death comes out of nowhere. The reactions will be awesome.

I don't think people are expecting the death of Dany's son either. The Dragons will balance that though, at least until the next 2 seasons where Dany does nothing relevant to the rest of the story. I wonder how the audience will react, they seem to think Dany is coming to Westeros soon and the Others will invade now.

yacobod

Banned
ya but i still think that most ppl think Sean Bean's character is going to be killed off, especially since he was featured in all of the show's promotion.

i personally can't wait for Strong Belwas and Barristan the Bold action in ADWD. maybe Barristan will fill in Dany about her family's past, and maybe have some information regarding a certain bastard who could be her brother. that early book review hinted that there would be more revelation to jon's parentage in this book. i mean 3 kingsguard were at the Tower of Joy, it's pretty likely he would know something.

Jenga

Banned
man i just want to spit spoilers in the face of the tv watchers so bad

no cat, ned, robb, and drogo fucking die, and jaime becomes one of the coolest characters in the show

Pikelet

yacobod said:
the preview episode from episode 9 made it look like the drogo stuff was going to happen, they were talking about blood for blood, dany was covered in blood, so it looked like an abortion or something gone wrong, so who knows. i can see it happening in either episode.

also looks like they are going to include Jamie getting caught by Stark and Co.
Based on the preview it looks like episode 9 will have both the major battles of the season, two of the major character deaths of the season, as well as some more of Jon Snow's flight to moletown.

What does that leave for the finale other than the dragons?

So many people totally expecting the dothraki under drogo to be shipping over to westeros to fight the lannisters, I can't wait to read the other thread when drogo dies :D

Jenga

Banned
yacobod said:
ya but i still think that most ppl think Sean Bean's character is going to be killed off, especially since he was featured in all of the show's promotion.

i personally can't wait for Strong Belwas and Barristan the Bold action in ADWD. maybe Barristan will fill in Dany about her family's past, and maybe have some information regarding a certain bastard who could be her brother. that early book review hinted that there would be more revelation to jon's parentage in this book. i mean 3 kingsguard were at the Tower of Joy, it's pretty likely he would know something.
didn't crows mentioned something about a pirate targaryen bastard milling around who might stake a claim?

it's been years so i don't remember, but i did just finish SoS so ill get on that soon enough

Pikelet said:
Based on the preview it looks like episode 9 will have both the major battles of the season, two of the major character deaths of the season, as well as some more of Jon Snow's flight to moletown.

What does that leave for the finale other than the dragons?

King in the North. Tyrion talking with Tywin and leaving for King's Landing. Cat talking with captive Jaime. Some Arya and Sansa stuff.

ultron87

I hope Ep. 9 ends at the execution but without us seeing his head roll. That way we can get a week of non book people speculating just how Jon managed to sweep down into the city with a pack of wolves at his back to save Ned.

And then Ep 10 starts with Ned's head on a spike.

Jenga said:
didn't crows mentioned something about a pirate targaryen bastard milling around who might stake a claim?

it's been years so i don't remember, but i did just finish SoS so ill get on that soon enough
There are numerous people with valyrian blood and targ blood, but none that are mentioned or even merit a thought towards a claim to the throne.

elrechazao said:
So many people totally expecting the dothraki under drogo to be shipping over to westeros to fight the lannisters, I can't wait to read the other thread when drogo dies :D
It is going to be hilarious and awesome. I was just like them not too long ago, thinking that Drogo will fuck shit up. He's such an awesome character and Momoa plays him well

Jenga

Banned
im either expecting frey to die a underwhelming quiet/natural death before zombie cat can do anything or something spectacular like being crushed or some other weird supernatural shit

anyways the frey house is fucked

GRRM mentions their curse about a bajillion times after the red wedding

sharbhund

q_q said:
Why would Sam be the 1000th?

I think people just assume that there's a significance to Martin repeatedly mentioning that Jon Snow was the 998th, that the series will end with the 1000th. But it could just be a red herring.

I also don't really understand why the 3 Kingsguard would fight to the death with Ned at the Tower of Joy after Aerys and Rhaegar were killed. If they were there to protect Lyanna, did they think she was in danger from her own brother?

ultron87 said:
I hope Ep. 9 ends at the execution but without us seeing his head roll. That way we can get a week of non book people speculating just how Jon managed to sweep down into the city with a pack of wolves at his back to save Ned.

And then Ep 10 starts with Ned's head on a spike.

I'm think they'll show Arya's reaction but not the head coming off. Then we see Joffrey taunting Sansa with the head in episode 10.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Basileus777 said:
I don't think people are expecting the death of Dany's son either. The Dragons will balance that though, at least until the next 2 seasons where Dany does nothing relevant to the rest of the story. I wonder how the audience will react, they seem to thinj Dany is coming to Westeros soon and the Others will invade now.

Well there will be some cool HD scenery........... the slave thing was pretty cool but an anti climax when all is said and done.

BanGy.nz said:
...Don't even joke about that

You know you want fuglies rooting everything and everyone and each other as the main story just as much as everyone else.

Jenga

Banned
sharbhund said:
I think people just assume that there's a significance to Martin repeatedly mentioning that Jon Snow was the 998th, that the series will end with the 1000th. But it could just be a red herring.

I also don't really understand why the 3 Kingsguard would fight to the death with Ned at the Tower of Joy after Aerys and Rhaegar were killed. If they were there to protect Lyanna, did they think she was in danger from her own brother?
protecting jon maybe?

sharbhund said:

Sam finds evidence that there have been far fewer than that in the library during AFFC, so I wouldn't put too much stock on the numbers.

Good point on the kingsguard - gives credence to the theory that lyanna was rhaegar's second wife at that point, otherwise the kingsguard would have no real motivation to do what they did there.
yacobod said:
wonder if Davos was really executed in AFFC. the onion knight needs to come back.
adwd spoiler
there are davos pov chapters - so even if he dies we at least see how

Jenga

Banned
yacobod said:
wonder if Davos was really executed in AFFC.
i doubt it personally

one of the dream prophecies mentioned a hero being reborn at sea

i always assumed it was davos

and if it was davos, what hero?

$5 davos is the real azor azhai

elrechazao said:
Good point on the kingsguard - gives credence to the theory that lyanna was rhaegar's second wife at that point, otherwise the kingsguard would have no real motivation to do what they did there.

Or maybe they're are just following Rhaegar's orders to protect his mistress and his son. Maybe they kept following them instead of abandoning a pregnant woman to follow Viserys to Dragonstone. I think it could work either way.

bengraven

I'm still fairly certain that Brienne and Davos are still alive.

Basileus777 said:
Or maybe they're are just following Rhaegar's orders to protect his mistress and his son. Maybe they kept following them instead of abandoning a pregnant woman to follow Viserys to Dragonstone. I think it could work either way.

Well this was also the last truly honorable group of Kingsguard. If it wasn't a Prince's son there I don't think they would have stayed as they would have never left Rhaegar's side.

bengraven said:
I'm still fairly certain that Brienne and Davos are still alive.

Brienne better be alive. Those chapters of hers need some purpose in the end right? If it was all so we could hear Maribald's speech, I will be pissed.

Can someone collect the ADWD Spoiler chapters? I've got
________Tyrions_______
but I do not have the others.

Oh O modded that spoiler so that you couldn't tell what it was from the size of it.

Basileus777 said:
Brienne better be alive. Those chapters of hers need some purpose in the end right?

Those chapters were all about introducing nimble dick. He's totally azor ahai reborn and will rise from the grave to destroy the others.

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
Brienne better be alive. Those chapters of hers need some purpose in the end right? If it was all so we could hear Maribald's speech, I will be pissed.

GRRM has hinted that he's written at least one Brienne chapter.

Unless the entire chapter is her going "gurgle gurgle gurgle" I think we can suspect she's alive. :)

I've asked all my friends who are watching for the first time for predictions. Here are most of them:

- Season ends with Drogo and Dany either getting on ships or landing in Westeros.
- One guy thinks that the Starks will win by the end of the season, Ed takes the throne.
- My other friend thinks that Arya will save Ed since she knows the castle layout (interesting thought.) She also thinks that Arya will show off some mad skill when fighting to find her dad.
- Everyone is correctly thinking that the White Walkers threat doesn't start becoming a huge thing until next season ( well at least they're right in that it isn't addressed THIS season.) One guy thinks Jon abandons the Wall, another thinks he stays.
- Only one of my friends of like 6 thinks that Ed is going to die.
- Nobody has brought up dragons. :)

It's really cool to see the reactions. I actually WANT to watch the next ep with everyone to see the "oh shit" moment of Joffrey setting up Ned just to punk his head off. Oh yeah, plus Robb kicks ass and according to the preview, at least Dany's unborn kid dies too.

BanGy.nz

Banned
rhfb said:
heh

Would be fucking glorious to see Old Man Frey die in the throne room just steps away from the throne :p
Sure he can die in the throne room only if he's killed in the same manner that Eddards father Rickard did.

sharbhund

Basileus777 said:

I could understand them fighting if it was Robert that showed up at the Tower of Joy, but I would think that Ned would have been able to resolve it peacefully. Did they think that Ned would kill his sister or nephew, when kinslaying is the worst possible crime in Westeros?

I remember being shocked when reading the books that drogo died and the baby as well. So much cool buildup, I had never seen an author do what he did there, and of course that continued on with red wedding and other such things in the books.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Basileus777 said:

The whole situation confuses me cause when Ned had that flashback/hallucination after his leg was broken and he keeps telling the Whent, Dayne and Hightower he thought theyd be at the Battle of the Trident or the sacking of Kings Landing or the Siege of Storms End and finally run off to Dragonstone they kept saying they werent there and everyone was lucky they werent and all this weird shit.

It just seems highly odd that 3 of the Kingsguard, 2 of which were undoubtedly their very best, were just sitting in a tower watching a pregnant 16 year old girl while the entire kingdom was coming undone. I mean why leave only the rookie with the King and just a single Kingsguard, even if it was Barristan, with the crown prince. Its just plain weird.

sharbhund said:
I could understand them fighting if it was Robert that showed up at the Tower of Joy, but I would think that Ned would have been able to resolve it peacefully. Did they think that Ned would kill his sister or nephew, when kinslaying is the worst possible crime in Westeros?

All of Rhaegar's children had been brutally killed during the sack of King's Landing. If Jon is Rhaegar's son, maybe they didn't trust Ned to protect and hide him?

Enduin said:
It just seems highly odd that 3 of the Kingsguard, 2 of which were undoubtedly their very best, were just sitting in a tower watching a pregnant 16 year old girl while the entire kingdom was coming undone. I mean why leave only the rookie with the King and just a single Kingsguard, even if it was Barristan, with the crown prince. Its just plain weird.

Well Jaime was being kept as a hostage against Tywin and maybe the others just followed Rhaegar to the Tower, where he ordered them to stay. It is odd though.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
yacobod said:
it's kind of disappointing that there will be no Sansa/Littlefinger action in the Eyrie in ADwD.

It will give people time to clense themselves of her "stupid little bitch" feelings towards her and make her a stronger character when she starts playing "the game".

bengraven

Enduin said:
The whole situation confuses me cause when Ned had that flashback/hallucination after his leg was broken and he keeps telling the Whent, Dayne and Hightower he thought theyd be at the Battle of the Trident or the sacking of Kings Landing or the Siege of Storms End and finally run off to Dragonstone they kept saying they werent there and everyone was lucky they werent and all this weird shit.

GRRM has said Ned's dream of the Tower of Joy can't be taken literally.

Which is why it has this dream-like, poetic feeling to it. It's the gist of what happened, but the dialogue, which is somewhat fairy tale like, was likely the drugs.

sharbhund

Basileus777 said:
I don't think people are expecting the death of Dany's son either. The Dragons will balance that though, at least until the next 2 seasons where Dany does nothing relevant to the rest of the story. I wonder how the audience will react, they seem to think Dany is coming to Westeros soon and the Others will invade now.

Dany's storyline is going to be incredibly boring on the show next season. At least in SOS she has the slave rebellion and doesn't just wander aimlessly in the desert for half the book.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Basileus777 said:
Well Jaime was being kept as a hostage against Tywin and maybe the others just followed Rhaegar to the Tower, where he ordered them to stay. It is odd though.

Jaime being there I understand, and originally there were 2 kingsguard their since Ser Darry was there for a time until he fled with Visarys and his mother to Dragonstone, but even then they are the Kingsguard not the Princeguard so why they would follow the prince's orders and leave basically half of their forces in a place that would never be under threat until after everyone else was dead is beyond me.

They had to know there was something really special or important about Lyanna and the baby she was almost definitely carrying. They had to know something greater was at stake to leave both their King and crown prince so poorly defended.

bengrave said:
GRRM has said Ned's dream of the Tower of Joy can't be taken literally.

Which is why it has this dream-like, poetic feeling to it. It's the gist of what happened, but the dialogue, which is somewhat fairy tale like, was likely the drugs.

Fair enough I always took into account that it wasnt word for word recreation but a drug induced memory, but it still doesnt change the facts of the situation, three Kingsguard were sitting around doing nothing but watch a sick 16 year old girl hundreds of leagues from any real danger, while the rest of the kingdom was fully engulfed in civil war and both their King and prince were severely undefended.

Pikelet

sharbhund said:
Dany's storyline is going to be incredibly boring on the show next season. At least in SOS she has the slave rebellion and doesn't just wander aimlessly in the desert for half the book.
Honestly i think they should just cut it down to the essentials.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FStop7 said:
Catelyn: Robb, I have a bad feeling about this. Walder Frey is vengeful and treacherous.

Robb: SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY BOSS ANY MORE

Grey Wind growls and snarls at every Frey

Robb: SHUT UP DOG WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME HERE

can you lock your dog in the shed

sure

aceface

Basileus777 said:
All of Rhaegar's children had been brutally killed during the sack of King's Landing. If Jon is Rhaegar's son, maybe they didn't trust Ned to protect and hide him?

Rhaegar was big into prophecies. I think he knew it was very important that Jon live.

Obviously Robert would have killed Jon, that's why Rhaegar left the kingsguard.

But instead Ned showed up. The kingsguard thought that he would have done what Robert wanted and killed the bastard regardless of blood ties. Hence the fight. That's how I see it anyways. Maybe Ned would have killed Jon if not for Lyanna's pleading with him not to. For someone honorable like Ned it's a tough choice., King vs. sister.

Question:

When Dany visits that house in Clash of Kings, the one that her dragon burns down and she flips out in, she sees all of those visions... One is of Rhaegar (?) playing the harp, or something. I remember the chapter but probaby just didn't read it carefully enough because I wanted more action in the existing story, not flash back stuff..

Can somebody explain this drug induced / hallucination for Dany when she's there?

aceface said:
Rhaegar was big into prophecies. I think he knew it was very important that Jon live.

Obviously Robert would have killed Jon, that's why Rhaegar left the kingsguard.

But instead Ned showed up. The kingsguard thought that he would have done what Robert wanted and killed the bastard regardless of blood ties. Hence the fight. That's how I see it anyways. Maybe Ned would have killed Jon if not for Lyanna's pleading with him not to. For someone honorable like Ned it's a tough choice., King vs. sister.

Well, Robert wasn't king yet... amirite?

The Albatross said:
Question:

When Dany visits that house in Clash of Kings, the one that her dragon burns down and she flips out in, she sees all of those visions... One is of Rhaegar (?) playing the harp, or something. I remember the chapter but probaby just didn't read it carefully enough because I wanted more action in the existing story, not flash back stuff..

Can somebody explain this drug induced / hallucination for Dany when she's there?
This is the best prophecy explanation roundup I've read:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/prophecies.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom