• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Azrael said:
I really hope GRRM is trolling us and when the Great Other enters the picture, all the characters he's been bringing back from the dead become his thralls.
I hope that doesn't happen.

That's like, Naruto-esque bullshit.

I know this will make me sound like a smug nerd, but the person conducting the EW interview is clearly an idiot.

EW: OMG JON DIEDED 4 REAL?! :eek:

GRUM: IT IS A MYSTERY ~_~

John's death/reincarnation in one form or another is pretty obvious. It would be the ultimate troll if he stayed dead, but GRUM has books to sell. He'll be back, but it might take three more books and lots of soap opera-esque cliffhangers to get to that point.

Clipjoint

q_q said:
People keep saying this but I didn't get that. The only thing was one sentence I saw that vaguely referred to something that maybe could have been his dick. Plus Ramsay asks if Jeyne makes Theon's dick hard. I suppose that could be him taunting Theon but it doesn't seem to imply in and of itself that he castrated him. I feel like Martin would have made it more explicit if it had happened. Unless he did and I missed it, which is a possibility.
I think there are a few lines that point to him either being castrated or gelded. He says something to the effect of (paraphrasing here) he took my fingers and toes and the other little thing - possibly being his penis - and then when Ramsay tells him to get her ready on the wedding night, he says "I have no..." before Ramsay interrupts him and tells him to use his mouth.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Azrael said:
I really hope GRRM is trolling us and when the Great Other enters the picture, all the characters he's been bringing back from the dead become his thralls. Because if there isn't some sort of subversion going on here he's undermining one of the qualities that made this series great. It doesn't affect me in the least anymore when a character dies because I either assume it's a trick or they'll be brought back from the dead.

I don't understand how this is a legitimate criticism. It's not like GRRM has brought back Ned, Robert, Robb, or anyone of real significance. Cat is back but is pretty much destroyed. Jon might (probably) be back but nobody really thinks he's dead in the first place.

bluemax

Banned
Cornballer said:
- EW.com interview: George R.R. Martin on 'Dance With Dragons' shocking twist (Spoilers)

Lots of very interesting answers in here about events towards the end of ADwD. GRRM hints at a number of things that people have been assuming.

Gurm said:
Yeah, it’s the “kind of bring ‘em together but don’t give them the confirmation.” In some ways it’s not so different than the sexual tension in TV shows — are Catherine and Vincent [on Beauty and the Beast] finally going to kiss? Same philosophy. This is the kind of stuff I wrestle with. I could have ended the next chapter: Tyrion gets off the boat and there’s Dany. But the journey itself has its own interest.

See he's totally pulling from his experience writing for shitty Telenovelas. Anyone expecting this shit to get resolved is just fooling themselves, he's gonna drag it out until he's dead.

Generic said:
There was a fourth one somewhere and presumably even more than that. The nights watch seemed intent on doing it's job properly.

I don't dispute the likely fact that Jon died, with all the foreshadowing though we all know he won't stay that way.

bluemax said:
See he's totally pulling from his experience writing for shitty Telenovelas. Anyone expecting this shit to get resolved is just fooling themselves, he's gonna drag it out until he's dead.

The funny thing is if the HBO show continues to be successful it might be our saving grace. Even if Martin never completes the book series we still have the show to fall back on to get the resolution we need.

Eteric Rice

Just wanted to note.

George R. R. Martin should write a "Cooking in Westeros" book. Some of the shit the man mentions sounds delicious.

Of course we'd have to substitute Frey with Pork, but fuck, why not?

Levi

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Just wanted to note.

George R. R. Martin should write a "Cooking in Westeros" book. Some of the shit the man mentions sounds delicious.

Of course we'd have to substitute Frey with Pork, but fuck, why not?

Via Suvudu.com "After the Q & A, a kindly representative on behalf of the ladies at the Inn at the Crossroads presented George with a fortifying basket of meat pies to help him through the signing, and George took the opportunity to announce that I just recently completed a deal with Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer, the amazing women behind the site, and will be publishing an Ice and Fire cookbook soon. More howls of approval met the news."

Here's the site the cookbook will be based on: Inn at the Crossroads. They've been recreating food from the books for a while now. Some of it looks really, really good.

iammeiam

If we're making random silly predictions:

- Mirri's prophecy means Dany will die in childbirth. Drogo's return will be his spirit returning to take her to go ride in the sky when she bleeds out after having a baby.
- Varys is actually warging into the various background animals throughout the series. His 'little birds' are both children and literal animals for maximum spying.
- Arya will be sent to kill Alayne for some reason, but will instead recognize her and bail on the Faceless Men.

bluemax

Banned
The only other author I remember spending as much time in each book describing food was Brian Jacques. I wonder what percentage of Redwall was dedicated to food.

Also the food stuff in ASoIaF annoys me somewhat. These people gorge themselves all the fucking time on feasts despite the fact they know at some point they're gonna have years and years of winter sometime soon.

It just seems silly to me.

yacobod

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
The funny thing is if the HBO show continues to be successful it might be our saving grace. Even if Martin never completes the book series we still have the show to fall back on to get the resolution we need.

You think GURM cares about his fans? He rather sit around the house eating nachos and watching the NY Jets & Giants while blogging on his Not a Blog, attend fan conventions around the globe all year round, and edit and fuck about with Wildcards.

Tacitus_

bluemax said:
The only other author I remember spending as much time in each book describing food was Brian Jacques. I wonder what percentage of Redwall was dedicated to food.

Also the food stuff in ASoIaF annoys me somewhat. These people gorge themselves all the fucking time on feasts despite the fact they know at some point they're gonna have years and years of winter sometime soon.

It just seems silly to me.

They're nobles. It's the smallfolk who'll starve.

bluemax said:

He's talking about a common literary device. Jesus christ dude. The stupid reactions to ADWD have pissed me off to the point I half hope the next book is all Dany and Brienne chapters

PhoenixDark said:
He's talking about a common literary device. Jesus christ dude. The stupid reactions to ADWD have pissed me off to the point I half hope the next book is all Dany and Brienne chapters

Wow...

I never thought I would've seen someone defend the "Will They or Won't They" dynamic.

The validity of that device has been successfully disproved in recent years.

Sirpopopop said:
Wow...

I never thought I would've seen someone defend the "Will They or Won't They" dynamic.

The validity of that device has been successfully disproved in recent years.

I'm not defending it, I'm pointing out it's not some new creation unique to Martin that he learned from his days writing a romance show.

PhoenixDark said:
Would be totally fine with this.

Dresden

PhoenixDark said:
brb burning gurm's effigy

Eteric Rice

VsRobot said:
Via Suvudu.com "After the Q & A, a kindly representative on behalf of the ladies at the Inn at the Crossroads presented George with a fortifying basket of meat pies to help him through the signing, and George took the opportunity to announce that I just recently completed a deal with Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer, the amazing women behind the site, and will be publishing an Ice and Fire cookbook soon. More howls of approval met the news."

Here's the site the cookbook will be based on: Inn at the Crossroads. They've been recreating food from the books for a while now. Some of it looks really, really good.

Wow, I actually kind of joking.

Daaaamn.

bluemax

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

You can't deny the declining quality of the series and that it is becoming increasingly more like a soap opera than a tightly written high fantasy novel set in a dark and gritty world.

Dresden

bluemax said:
You can't deny the declining quality of the series and that it is becoming increasingly more like a soap opera than a tightly written high fantasy novel set in a dark and gritty world.
Asides from Dany wanting to get boned by Fabio Daario, DwD was pretty damn gritty, bro.

yacobod

Banned
ezrarh said:
We're going to have to burn 7 beautiful maidens then throw them into the sea while they're burning to satisfy the gods.

i like how its a tri-sacrifice, to the Rhollor, the Drowned god, and to the 7. Victarion is the man, or actually i think they really improved his character just by making him a viking stereotype.

yacobod said:
i like how its a tri-sacrifice, to the Rhollor, the Drowned god, and to the 7. Victarion is the man, or actually i think they really improved his character just by making him a viking stereotype.

The Iron Islanders are Vikings, it's been that way since the beginning.

yacobod

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
The Iron Islanders are Vikings, it's been that way since the beginning.

ya but now he's throwing perfumed lady boys overboard, making salt wives of whores, and general plunder and trouble.

in AFFC he was like the Ned Stark of the Iron-born.

bluemax said:
I'm definitely sure we can deny that any of this is a sign of declining quality. It's actually become an even darker, grittier world over the course of the series.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Finally finished, was very good overall but it did feel like one big troll with lots of big lead ups that crumble away.......... Was raging hard at the last Jon Snow chapter with a big "fuck this cunt" to GRRM but yeah, agree he isnt dead with Mel being around to do some voodoo.

So 3 more years............................. fuck.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Finally finished, was very good overall but it did feel like one big troll with lots of big lead ups that crumble away.......... Was raging hard at the last Jon Snow chapter with a big "fuck this cunt" to GRRM but yeah, agree he isnt dead with Mel being around to do some voodoo.

So 3 more years............................. fuck.

LOL MORE LIKE 15 YEARS IF EVER

(Let's just get that reply out of the way now)

CrunchyB

Clipjoint said:
I think there are a few lines that point to [Theon] either being castrated or gelded. He says something to the effect of (paraphrasing here) he took my fingers and toes and the other little thing - possibly being his penis - and then when Ramsay tells him to get her ready on the wedding night, he says "I have no..." before Ramsay interrupts him and tells him to use his mouth.

Exactly. I was shocked at first, but then I was confused, because it wasn't mentioned explicitly. But it makes sense, because Theon is completely broken, so he doesn't worry about it anymore.

bluemax

Banned
Dresden said:
Let's just ignore all the shit that went down in the North, not to mention the death and misery in Essos.

I am saddened by the lack of food supplies the Night's Watch has on hand but I didn't need a full inventory of it.

Ikael

I love how everyon thinks Jon is dead for good yet forgets that a fire priest is just some metres away, you know, the guys that can take people back from the dead, Catelyn - style. Remember, he is suppoused to be Azor Azai reborn.

Timbuktu

I can't think of one big popular story where a variation of this death and rebirth thing doesn't happen as part of the hero's journey.

Piecake

bluemax said:
I am saddened by the lack of food supplies the Night's Watch has on hand but I didn't need a full inventory of it.

That is one of their biggest concerns. What food they have, where can they get more food, how will they acquire that food. You don't think the Lord Commander and his steward would spend some serious time discussing that considering that, besides the Others and the Wildings, that is definitely the most important thing. Hell, its probably more important than the wildings.

If they didnt discuss it, I would be wondering why the hell not. No real farmers are on the gift anymore, the North is in shambles, and if it wasnt mentioned, I would be wondering how the hell do they expect to survive the winter. By food magic?

Pokielhl

Neo Member
Gonaria said:
That is one of their biggest concerns. What food they have, where can they get more food, how will they acquire that food. You don't think the Lord Commander and his steward would spend some serious time discussing that considering that, besides the Others and the Wildings, that is definitely the most important thing. Hell, its probably more important than the wildings.

If they didnt discuss it, I would be wondering why the hell not. No real farmers are on the gift anymore, the North is in shambles, and if it wasnt mentioned, I would be wondering how the hell do they expect to survive the winter. By food magic?

Jon secured a loan from the Iron Bank of Bravos in order to by food.

Piecake

Pokielhl said:
Jon secured a loan from the Iron Bank of Bravos in order to by food.

I know, I said I would have had a problem with it if Jon, Bowen, and the rest of the Night Watch didnt discuss and try to solve the food issue

I think about the book at least once a day, and "The North remembers." has got to be the most chilling, gripping line of the whole series. God damn.

Piecake

ZephyrFate said:
I think about the book at least once a day, and "The North remembers." has got to be the most chilling, gripping line of the whole series. God damn.

I still think Doran Martell has the most chilling words, "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood"

ZephyrFate said:

That entire chapter blew me away, and confirmed what I had been hoping for years. The north is certainly battered, but if Stannis prevails at Winterfell I feel the entire region could awaken like a giant.

Really interested to see how the Vale/Littlefinger will react if Rickon makes it back to the North alive.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Quick Q

Was the Bravosi banker around when they found out the Karstarks would betray Stannis and/or did they get the message at the mote/fort (where the remaining Ironmen where being held prisoner/ransomed) before the banker hired them and left to find Stannis?

I was expecting something to happen but that chapter ended quickly and there was no further follow up chapter in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom