• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A well-made AAA Transformers would be huge

Tonky

Like Rocksteady with Batman and Insomniac with Spider-Man, Transformers just needs the right developer to really become something big (which it absolutely has the potential to be). High Moon's Cybertron series was good, but I never felt that the games achieved excellence. The game was clearly inspired by Gears-style TPS mechanics, but I don't think that's the right track for a Transformers game. Instead, I'd make it more like Platinum's Transformers game, with a greater emphasis on melee.

Another thing that Platinum got right was the art style, and holy shit did they nail that:

1.jpg

I actually prefer this to High Moon's more realistic and gritty art-style. I think that's because I'd like a game based on a cartoon series. The PS2 based on Transformers Armada had some great elements, and I feel that they nailed the vehicle aspect more than any other transformers game:

Honestly if we could just have that game remade with modern mechanics, and expanded story, more playable characters (i.e. Decepticons), and updated graphics, I'd be content. It would also need a Unicron level though.

So what are your thoughts on previous Transformers game, and do you think that a game franchise has potential?

Shaanyboi

Banned
War for Cybertron will forever be the highlight of Transformers games because of how fun that multiplayer was. The campaign was... eh, fine. But the multiplayer was really addictive.

Fall of Cybertron's online wasn't nearly as interesting, but the focus on single player helped vary things up a bit. The final mission just jumping between perspectives every 5 minutes was amazing.

The X of Cybertron games are probably the closest we'll get for a long time, and sadly that was utterly soiled by a co-opting for an Age of Extinction tie-in. Unless High Moon are secretly working on a sequel in the background, I expect small budget affairs for the near future.

the michael bay films are so awful, i find it hard to imagine something good about that franchise (other than graphics). Actually, i can imagine the transfomer combat to pretty cool in 60 fps, like meele with rockets (think titanfall 2)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Devastation looked amazing started feeling samey for me halfway through, but I loved both Cybertron games. Story mode definitely had some epic moments and I spent a lot of time in the MP mode of the first one.

Justinh

Devastation was really great, shame that it's not going to get a sequel.
Damn... All I wanted was some playable Decepticon DLC! edit: Although, every time I go back to it, I bounce off because the inventory management was such a gigantic pain in the ass once you got more than 200 items.
Time for M.A.S.K.

As long as they include the raddest intro somewhere.
Seriously though, customizable transforming weaponized vehicles? Dude? Dude seriously, why not?

Was fall of cybertron any good? I remember playing the first game and it being mediocre, but was somewhat interested in that one. Then I completely forgot it existed..

HM's games were p great in terms of competitive team shooters but I still hold the ps2 armada close to my heart.

Just the feeling of traversing the maps in vehicle mode, sniping camps from a distance. Might get some flack for saying this but I would love a modern open world transformers game.

Never played platinum's take, looks like a fun beat em up but I kinda like my robot games gritty :p

hobozero

It's the Licensed Game Paradox (tm):

Any licensed game which achieves high quality, no longer needs the license in order to sell. In fact, the license is a drag on profitability.

A game which can sell on its quality doesn't need a license. And a game which needs a license to sell does not have to be high quality.

Edit: I typed "license" so many times I no longer have any idea how it's spelled. Fuck it

HM's games were p great in terms of competitive team shooters but I still hold the ps2 armada close to my heart.

Just the feeling of traversing the maps in vehicle mode, sniping camps from a distance. Might get some flack for saying this but I would love a modern open world transformers game.

Never played platinum's take, looks like a fun beat em up but I kinda like my robot games gritty :p

It's great (platinums version) it uses the 1980s Transformers look and the combat is fun, it's a bit short though.

CookTrain

As long as they include the raddest intro somewhere.
Seriously though, customizable weaponized vehicles? Dude? Dude seriously, why not?

Yeah, people might read it flippantly... but I want M.A.S.K damnit! If the Transformers games got Stan Bush in them, that intro definitely gets play.

night814

Damn... All I wanted was some playable Decepticon DLC! edit: Although, every time I go back to it, I bounce off because the inventory management was such a gigantic pain in the ass once you got more than 200

Yeah the game could really go for a QoL overhaul and more playable characters, I'll never forget those times playing it at my buddies house passing the controller. Almost made me buy a PS4 then if I hadn't gotten my fill of the game.

Breakaway

Transformers Armada was one of my favorite games on the PS2. I generally loved the level design in that game and the boss fights. All it needed was a Decepticon campaign like the Cybertron games and some of the set-pieces from the show. But yeah, I'd be interested in another Transformers game. Haven't played the Platinum one, though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I mean, the entire premise of Transformers is stupid.

The last few games were actually pretty good too, despite that stupid premise. I don't think there's enough Transformer fans to make it worthwhile to really invest in an expensive game dev.

Define "huge". I think it would do well, but probably not much better than what they did during High Moon's height. Also as cool as Platinum's art style was, I'd argue High Moon's more realistic direction had/has more potential for a bigger audience (especially if we're talking about going for AAA). In the end, I think AA was the perfect target for the IP.

FStubbs

It's the Licensed Game Paradox (tm):

Any licensed game which achieves high quality, no longer needs the license in order to sell. In fact, the license is a drag on profitability.

A game which can sell on its quality doesn't need a license. And a game which needs a license to sell does not have to be high quality.

Edit: I typed "license" so many times I no longer have any idea how it's spelled. Fuck it

Right.

And the corollary of that last part is "because a low quality game is cheaper than a high quality game, and a licensed game sells because of the license and not because of the game, it is more profitable if the licensed game is a low quality game."

Could someone tell me what the Armada game was like?

My personal opinion has always been that a Transformers action game would never fully work because the dual emphasis of combat and turning into a high speed vehicle was counterintuitive. It was incredible hard to design encounters where transforming wasn't just a glorified sprint button

Given that Armada is well remembered, did it manage to make combat and transformation work harmoniously, or did it succeed on other merits?

jryeje29

War of cybertron was pretty awesome but I never played the second one, the thing is who could make it and we’ll enough thatd it’s be worth moving away from whatever franchise they’re already handling. It’d probably have to be a new studio which in itself isn’t something popping up often and even then would it be good? With things like Star Wars games from visceral being closed and moved who’d take on Transformers.

Menitta

I honestly thought the 2nd movie game was pretty good. Not AAA but it had some stuff. The DLC had a bunch of throwback costumes and even Sunstorm as playable.

I really gotta try the High Moon games.

I'm probably one of the few who liked Rise of the Dark Spark and HM's Dark of the Moon. Some of it has to do with l a majority of these games being set on earth vs. Cybertron.

Also really liked PS2 Transformers the Movie game. Traveller's Tales going non-LEGO there.

I've played some of Fall and War; they seem very good too but for whatever reason I prefer Dark Spark and DotM. Devastation is fun as well but I'm drawn to the Gears of War approach over Bayonetta.

Maybe these games aren't AAA but it seems TF games have been all in all okay.

Buffalo

Banned
though I loved the artstyle, the Platinum game was hot garbage IMO. the High Moon games were pretty great, lots of fun, but their story was lacking a lot.

maybe get those guys back for a third game and beef up their budget, that's the only way I can see us getting anything near as good.

A Transformers fighting game would be pretty cool. All those redecos give a lot of potential for skins, too.
also an excellent idea! I'm imagining how awesome it would be to have a G1-style fighting game with a perfect recreation of the style, kinda like how FighterZ is for DBZ. such great roster possibility as well.

That PS2 game rules

I like the first two Cybertron games and Devastation a lot. Transformers always seems like a franchise that could be better leveraged in video games while still having a number of really good games out there

I’d kill for a Devastation 2 but Activision seems to be out of that business

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Was fall of cybertron any good? I remember playing the first game and it being mediocre, but was somewhat interested in that one. Then I completely forgot it existed..

Fall is pretty great. Lots more variety than the first game across the various characters you play, some good setpieces, and the final level is batshit insane. Even some Epic folks were impressed with what High Moon got out of the Unreal engine in that game. Well worth playing, IMO.

Buffalo

Banned
Yea, I think I'd much rather have a good Kaiju game.

I get the feeling like many here are stating, that Transformers are kind of tainted/overused due to the films.

not so much in games but yeah, a new Kaiju game done right would be sweet, like a new War of the Monsters.

Taramoor

I want Platinum to make a Centurions game.

I cant think of any property better suited to Platinum’s style of game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devastation could've been that game if it had a budget and wasn't so aggressively repetitive and samey.

TBH it just had the right look and animations, pretty much everything else was half baked. I'm sure with more time and a bigger budget they could've made it into something worthwhile.

War for Cybertron will forever be the highlight of Transformers games because of how fun that multiplayer was. The campaign was... eh, fine. But the multiplayer was really addictive.

Fall of Cybertron's online wasn't nearly as interesting, but the focus on single player helped vary things up a bit. The final mission just jumping between perspectives every 5 minutes was amazing.

WFC multiplayer was among the best competitive online shooters last gen.

Using a scientist class to turn in to a jet, disguise myself as the enemy, fly behind them, land, shot gun blast in the back, turn back in to a jet, fly away, get a neutron canon, destroy the world.

So good.

Top Bottom