• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Yale college dean placed on leave for using phrase "white trash" in Yelp review

Forkball

Mochi isn't strictly a Japanese thing. It's eaten all across Asia, with many local variants as well.

She's still an idiot, but just wanted to correct that point.

I'm aware of this, I was pointing out the irony of her saying that Chinese people couldn't make quality mochi, when in fact she is Chinese and supposedly an expert.

Velcro Fly

People who rage and then lash out on the internet without even giving it a second thought amaze me.

I have a pretty short temper but it has been about 10 years since I've let it get the best of me online

riotous

Banned
I'm aware of this, I was pointing out the irony of her saying that Chinese people couldn't make quality mochi, when in fact she is Chinese and supposedly an expert.

The review where she mentioned they are Chinese was for a restaurant called "Koto Japanese Restaurant." That review doesn't mention mochi.

Kite

I know lots of rich asshole Asians like this, several unfortunately are family. They can switch between playing the oppressed minority card to being a stuck-up rich prick in the blink of an eye, whatever lets them be a bully and talk down to people.

jrcbandit

So does it matter in the end if the food is good if a Japanese restaurant is staffed/cooked by Chinese or vice versa? I know it can matter to GAF if it is white people opening an ethnic restaurant in a minority neighborhood, or is that more of a gentrification issue?

Kite

So does it matter in the end if the food is good if a Japanese restaurant is staffed/cooked by Chinese or vice versa? I know it can matter to GAF if it is white people opening an ethnic restaurant in a minority neighborhood, or is that more of a gentrification issue?
lol if the prof ever comes to the Chinatowns in Texas she might die of a heart attack cus most of the cooks in the back cooking those delicious authentic dishes are.. dun dun dun Mexican~ A buddy who works in the China and Korea towns in San Fran says the same happens there, his Spanish is better than his English cus he works with them all day long.

People don't have cultural ownership on some dishes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Should do this as a story arc in s2 of dear white people.

Elite is actually scrub tier—just above regular users. From there, you can get Gold (stay Elite for 5 years), and then Black (stay Gold for some number of years), and then they will probably add some more levels later, when too many users get to Black.

Those all sound like the same tier to me lol

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
since when does "being Asian" make you an expert on mochi?

just like anyone with anime avatars who seem to know japanese culture...bwahahaha!
anyways..glad she got placed on leave...no one needs a condescending asshole as a dean

Dingens

just like anyone with anime avatars who seem to know japanese culture...bwahahaha!
anyways..glad she got placed on leave...no one needs a condescending asshole as a dean

I think there is no reason to bring that up as everyone with a brain knows that an anime avatar is like a drivers licence for japanese culture proficiency.

btw: why is it that people assume that only "Asian" people (and lets face it, they were all born in the US, there is nothing asian about them) can cook authentic "Asian" food? When you take other enthnic foods like pizza or pasta, hardly anyone cares who made it. Like at least half of all pizza-related chefs around here are from the middle east

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I really hate "authenticity" masturbation. Like, it's one thing if the restaurant is masquerading or hiding behind a false banner of authenticity, but it is another if it is taking in local tastes and a sense of amalgamation.

I don't view with disdain Tex-Mex,or "fake Mexican" food, because I do enjoy it. As I also understand fast food adoption vs a local hole-in-the-wall. You aren't going to get authentic carnitas from Del Taco.

Like, I love the Strictly Dumplings channel on YouTube, but it irks me every time he says like, "a true Chinese person would never eat this, so don't eat this." I get the education standpoint, but overwhelmingly so, it's a put-down.

Joni

It never ceases to amuse me that individuals in positions of authority, especially academia as prestigious as Yale wants to broadcast their ill-founded views to the world.
Experts sometimes forget they aren't experts in everything. It happens to the smartest of us.

Kayhan

Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

LMAO a dean sending out an email to students that she reach Yelp Elite status......whyyyyyyyyy? Nobody cares!

I would laugh so hard.

Like, I love the Strictly Dumplings channel on YouTube, but it irks me every time he says like, "a true Chinese person would never eat this, so don't eat this." I get the education standpoint, but overwhelmingly so, it's a put-down.

This is BS of the highest grade and while I personally think that "Chinese western food" is different than "authentic chinese food", my wife, Chinese, still enjoys the "fake" food sometimes. Chinese people also somehow love spaghetti that dont even taste like the ones we get in Europe.

Also on a sidenote, White Trash is btw. used quite widely in China to describe foreigners living for years in China while not speaking any Chinese and usually have an english teaching job while having no experience in teaching at all.

This craving for "authenticity" is quite something. Most of the reviews on Yelp also seem to be geared towards either that or to nitpicking the colours of the table cloths.

Zoe

White trash has always had racial undertones towards African Americans, though afaik. Pretty sure it originated in the antebellum south referring to people who were "as close to being as worthless as a nword but still white." Hence, whitetrash.
Growing up, white trash always meant people like the (self-proclaimed) family in Roseanne and run down trailer parks to me.

I really hate "authenticity" masturbation. Like, it's one thing if the restaurant is masquerading or hiding behind a false banner of authenticity, but it is another if it is taking in local tastes and a sense of amalgamation.

I don't view with disdain Tex-Mex,or "fake Mexican" food, because I do enjoy it. As I also understand fast food adoption vs a local hole-in-the-wall. You aren't going to get authentic carnitas from Del Taco.

Is that Jackie Chan!? JK I love Mikey Chen so Yay another strictly dumplings viewer on Neogaf that being said well he does point out if authenticity a lot I don't remember/ can't imagine him ever saying not to eat something unless it happened back when he was working for Off the Great Wall and I'm just not remembering.

Faynwulf

Food elitism and gatekeeping in that regard is one of the most pathetic things that exist. I've used to watch strictlydumpling too. But I can listen to that kind of bullshit for some time before I have to stop.

Mesousa

Banned
Food elitism and gatekeeping in that regard is one of the most pathetic things that exist. I've used to watch strictlydumpling too. But I can listen to that kind of bullshit for some time before I have to stop.

Mike isnt elitist though. He always mentions this as a way to educate, as well as entertain, with his food reviews.

Llyranor

As a general rule, I think something being called ________ JAPANESE RESTAURANT is probably not authentic. Not more so than you would expect a high-end French or Italian restaurant to be called ________ FRENCH RESTAURANT or _______ ITALIAN RESTAURANT.

Growing up, white trash always meant people like the (self-proclaimed) family in Roseanne and run down trailer parks to me.

I guess my definition of white trash while growing up is a little different. White trash couldn't afford to lives in homes, hence white trash morphed into trailer trash.

Kite

I

hmm you got any specific examples? I can recall a dozen times where he points out Americanized-Chinese food but I don't remember him telling people to not eat it. He is more about encouraging people to try the authentic stuff and stating the shocking fact that people in Asia don't know what fortune cookies and crab rangoons are. IIRC his family ran a Chinese buffet so this is all personal experience for him.

I dunno, is someone gonna get butthurt if another youtuber points out that Taco Bell isn't authentic and that you should try some authentic street tacos?

8 "Chinese" Dishes Chinese People Don't Eat
10 Ways to Spot a Fake Chinese Restaurant
I don't think he is being a dick in videos like these, nothing like this Yale lady.

It always amazes me how some people are totally fine leaving their idiotic views online, where it will simmer and sit forever. I mean, neogaf/reddit/etc are one thing where there is a minor level of anonymity, which is EASILY cracked by anyone who really wants to, but facebook/yelp/twitter with your real name... just so stupid.

Yes, its an issue that she has such views but honestly I'd guess a LOT of people have such views, just most of them are never exposed because they don't fucking post about it on yelp.

1)

Why do people continue to use their real name when posting shit online?

2)

Just cause you are educated doesn't mean you have common sense.

A lot of the hate of Tex Mex or American Chinese for not being authentic are just people who don't realize that both of them are fusion foods that have developed pretty separately from Mexican and Chinese foods. Hell, Tex Mex itself is actually heavily influenced by Moroccan food as the major component for most dishes (chili) is not spiced by traditional Mexican spices.

I do think the negative perception of these foods though is partly the fault of the fact that your average chain or easily available Tex Mex or American Chinese restaurant aren't exactly the best examples of foods.

depths20XX

That first review was fine and felt punishment was overblown. And then I read the second one.

I dunno, the first review is pretty bad too.

What if it said:

"I guess if you were a black person who has no clue what mochi is, this would be fine for you."

Sounds pretty bad to me. Why is she even mentioning a race? Should just say "if you're someone who doesn't know what mochi is."

Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

What an idiot

Never give your students or your employer a view into your personal life or opinions. It can't help and can only hurt.

Top Bottom