• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Yale college dean placed on leave for using phrase "white trash" in Yelp review

The Adder

Banned
This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

Alright, allow me to translate, because you clearly had a soap box you wanted to stand on today and are now too high up to read:

Folks be feeling themselves in Yelp reviews, is it that serious?

"People seem to develop for themselves both a sense of invulnerability and an overconfidence in themselves when posting reviews on Yelp. Is the activity of Yelp reviewing really so important to them?"

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

You misunderstood him. Read again, and reprocess.

Dead Man

Claims that being "Asian" makes her an expert on mochi (a strictly Japanese thing)... and then complains about Japanese restaurant employees being Chinese.

How the fuck
Yeah that jumped out. No internal consistency with her douchebaggery at all.

Slayven

when some one makes a big deal about something u dont even care about

I wasn't saying "is it that serious?" that she said what she said. I was saying "Is it that serious?" meaning she went on yelp to be ass at all

.JayZii

Banned
I think it's impressive that Asian people are inherently experts in all things Asian. It's some real Bene Gesserit Other Memory shit.

Madness

I wasn't saying "is it that serious?" that she said what she said. I was saying "Is it that serious?" meaning she went on yelp to be ass at all

My mistake Slay. I misread. Others just want to join in on the usual dogpiling and one-upping and it wasn't what I intended in quoting your post or being on a soapbox or indignant. When you wrote is it that serious, I meant is just her shitty opinion on the Yelp review that serious. And not really. But her stupidity rightly called out. Was more making my own observation alongside your post.

wandering

Banned
My mistake Slay. I misread. Others just want to join in on the usual dogpiling and one-upping and it wasn't what I intended in quoting your post or being on a soapbox or indignant. When you wrote is it that serious, I meant is just her shitty opinion on the Yelp review that serious. And not really. But her stupidity rightly called out. Was more making my own observation alongside your post.

Dunno, "People like to shift the goal posts of what racism or prejudice entails" seemed pretty soap-boxy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm judging her writing ability, empathy and racial tolerance in delicious bite sized packages. Still, at least she didn't one star them because she couldn't find parking or because the BBQ place didn't have many vegetarian options.

Was expecting it to be overblown "Hooters is a great place to eat white trash food and watch drunk executives leer..." but she took it five or six levels deeper.

I did not anticipate Dune references in this thread.

Anticipation?!! Anticipation's a thing for cattle and loveplay!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So who's gonna apply for her position and include copies of your previous Yelp reviews along with your CV?

Sidenote: Staff at Chuck-E-Cheese are human and not rats.

Chu had assured him and other Yale administrators that she had only posted two “troubling” reviews. After discovering “multiple reprehensible” posts...

So even after being caught, she went with "It was only these 2" when there were actually multiple other ones out there?...

Cocaloch

This post needs to explain what a dean of a residential college is at Yale. It's not a very big deal. She's basically just in charge of a dorm.

Qvoth

being asian (surname is chu so she's chinese) has no correlation with knowledge of mochi though, mochi is a japanese creation afaik
seems like she's just pissed the place isn't "authentic" enough or some shit, like so what if the place hires chinese instead of japanese? if the food's good should the race of the employees even matter?

rpmurphy

being asian (surname is chu so she's chinese) has no correlation with knowledge of mochi though, mochi is a japanese creation afaik
seems like she's just pissed the place isn't "authentic" enough or some shit, like so what if the place hires chinese instead of japanese? if the food's good should the race of the employees even matter?
My fav local sushi chef is Hmong (also surnamed Chu, coincidentally) and lol of course it doesn't matter, cooking is a learned skill. You still gotta learn it from someone who knows their stuff, but other than that, authenticity is just a matter of perspective.

Fuchsdh

Man, I thought this was going to be over the acceptability of "white trash" and whether it is essentially racist (either against white people, or by implying white people are "naturally superior" than everyone else.)

But no, it's way simpler than that.

I wasn't aware Mochi was such serious business.

Losing a position of respect and admiration in academia over Mochi.

Goddamn.

pa22word

It never ceases to amuse me that individuals in positions of authority, especially academia as prestigious as Yale wants to broadcast their ill-founded views to the world.

With academia it's easy: they're used to interacting with students so much that it warps their perspective on what's acceptable to other people and what's not. E.g. The students laughed at your joke because they don't wanna piss you off, not because you're actually funny.

Man, I thought this was going to be over the acceptability of "white trash" and whether it is essentially racist (either against white people, or by implying white people are "naturally superior" than everyone else.)

But no, it's way simpler than that.
It's more classist than anything.

Yoda

“I have learned a lot this semester about the power of words and about the accountability that we owe one another,” Chu wrote. “My remarks were wrong. There are no two ways about it. Not only were they insensitive in matters related to class and race; they demean the values to which I hold myself and which I offer as a member of this community.”

^ Her apology... to Yale students... not the people she offended by her remarks. Talk about being fucking tone-deaf.

pa22word

It's more classist than anything.
White trash has always had racial undertones towards African Americans, though afaik. Pretty sure it originated in the antebellum south referring to people who were "as close to being as worthless as a nword but still white." Hence, whitetrash.

What makes this even more special is that Chu has a PhD in social psychology.

She obviously did not learn anything while in graduate school in her respective field.

dejay

Banned
Too edgy. Might have worked for a stand up comedian, not a dean. Really though, if she used a little more code wording, she would have been fine.

"White trash" - bad. "Delusional Trump supporters" - ok.

She's probably right about me, but I'm very basic in my tastes.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

The way this shit went down is amazing. 😂😂

"I'm Asian. I know mochi."

"Employees are Chinese, not Japanese"

June Chu

Uh huh...

Claims that being "Asian" makes her an expert on mochi (a strictly Japanese thing)... and then complains about Japanese restaurant employees being Chinese.

How the fuck

Mochi isn't strictly a Japanese thing. It's eaten all across Asia, with many local variants as well.

She's still an idiot, but just wanted to correct that point.

Top Bottom