• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Yale college dean placed on leave for using phrase "white trash" in Yelp review

Kinyou

I dunno, the first review is pretty bad too.

What if it said:

"I guess if you were a black person who has no clue what mochi is, this would be fine for you."

Sounds pretty bad to me. Why is she even mentioning a race? Should just say "if you're someone who doesn't know what mochi is."
Her focus on race is just odd
She even precludes the whole thing with "I'm Asian, I know mochi" as if being Asian meant automatically that she has been eating mochi her entire life. She could have easily said "I've been eating mochi since my childhood" but instead had to invoke some weird racial credentials.

233964-south-park-south-park.gif

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This reminds me of every person I know from Quebec that shits on any poutine that isn't from Quebec.

KonradLaw

Her focus on race is just odd
She even precludes the whole thing with "I'm Asian, I know mochi" as if being Asian meant automatically that she has been eating mochi her entire life. She could have easily said "I've been eating mochi since my childhood" but instead had to invoke some weird racial credentials.

I wonder if she's even japanese, or just "asian" as in asian ethnicity, because if the later then lmao :D As japanese she could at least pretend she's somehow trying to protect her cultural heritage.

wandering

Banned
I do think the negative perception of these foods though is partly the fault of the fact that your average chain or easily available Tex Mex or American Chinese restaurant aren't exactly the best examples of foods.

Yeah, one of the reasons some Asian Americans might get defensive about Asian food is that a lot of what is popularly thought about Asian cuisines in the West can be pretty skewed, bordering on racist. Either it's all cheap, greasy, unhealthy schlock (note that the MSG scare had some of its roots in anti-Asian racism) or it's weird, gross, and they all eat dogs and cats, don't you know!

Like, it wasn't too uncommon a short while ago for Asian kids to be made fun of for the lunches they brought to school, so when all of a sudden certain Asian cuisines are seen as hip and trendy (and when it's perceived that the food is "legitimized" by the patronage of white people) people can become resentful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, one of the reasons some Asian Americans might get defensive about Asian food is that a lot of what is popularly thought about Asian cuisines in the West can be pretty skewed, bordering on racist. Either it's all cheap, greasy, unhealthy schlock (note that the MSG scare had some of its roots in anti-Asian racism) or it's weird, gross, and they all eat dogs and cats, don't you know!

Like, it wasn't too uncommon a short while ago for Asian kids to be made fun of for the lunches they brought to school, so when all of a sudden certain Asian cuisines are seen as hip and trendy (and when it's perceived that the food is "legitimized" by the patronage of white people) people can become resentful.

Or when everyone started using chopsticks all of a sudden. lol

Top Bottom