• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

Lopson

Neo Member
brotkasten said:
I don't want to be rude, but can you explain why you chose a 1080p monitor without digital input? It doesn't make any sense to me.

At the time, it was the cheapest alternative. I really couldn't afford anything with DVI+HDCP.

BlueTsunami said:
Hey guys, just buy new HDTVs. I mean, no HDMI port? Time to upgraddde. This is living.

Sure, if I had the money for that, I would have done it ages ago.

Raistlin

phosphor112 said:
So, why does this AACS thing exist anyway? Who's idea was it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

It's what's known as a necessary evil. A standard was necessary to get content providers on board with modern formats.

That said, AACS shouldn't really be blamed for the analog sunset - that's pretty much like shooting the messenger. The MPAA and similar lobbyists are what got the agreements in place. Hell, they even convinced the FCC ... the analog sunset is a lot more than just BD players.

Regardless, AACS is simply the mechanism for enforcing the agreements. The companies involved in AACS aren't necessarily those involved in mandating all the DRM rules.

antonz said:
Sony is one of the founders of the AACS mandating the shift. They played a part in this decsion just as much as the other founders.
That's a pretty obtuse statement

ymmv

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.

Not the first. The PS2 lost a network/HD bay extension.

Besides that, the PS3 also gained support fot DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD. And let's not forget it gained a ton of new functionality thru software. Funny how no one sees that as far more important, because those are things we use all the time. How many new PS3 owners will be affected by the loss of component HD output by now when all HDTVS made in the past five years have either HDMI or at least DVI?

jmdajr said:
It's pretty cool how the ps2 component cables work with the ps3 as well. Guess they will be useless now.

Useless for new ones. They're not updating all existing PS3s to stop using component, just all newly manufactured ones.

McLovin

Leondexter said:
Sony's not allowed 1080p over component on movies since day 1, and on games for quite a while. That was shitty enough, but if they cut 720p as well, I'll never buy a cross-platform game on PS3 again.

The PS3's signal is HDCP locked through HDMI (yes, even games, God knows why), so I use component so that I can capture - every console I own is hooked up with dual output so I can capture if something funny happens.

If they have to comply with Blu-Ray standards for movies, so be it. I understand - capturing a movie is copying a movie, and that's piracy. Capturing footage of a game, though, is not. It's free advertising.
Aren't they trying to pass a law that you can't post game footage online. They where trying to make it so posting your gameplay on youtube would be copyright infringement or something like that. Maybe this has to do with that?
Also by "They" I mean some company "not sony", I heard a rumor about that. I haven't actually read up on it though.

jmdajr

Snapshot King said:
Useless for new ones. They're not updating all existing PS3s to stop using component, just all newly manufactured ones.

yeah yeah I hear ya.

but what about ps4? I'm guessing no component HD then...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My current TV is a Vizio 720p 38".

For some reason, HDMI looks like utter shit on it. It aliases the crap out of the image, and anything solid white looks incredibly pixelated (especially text).

No idea why this is. Component at 720p looks fantastic on it, however.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snapshot King said:
They'll still work for SD content... but I suppose on PS3 in a world of HDTVs, that's basically like making them useless.

jmdajr said:
yeah yeah I hear ya.

but what about ps4? I'm guessing no component HD then...

Yeah, I said that in a post earlier. That being said by then HDMI capture devices will most likely have made some progress merely by necessity.

pestul

Yeah, it doesn't effect current systems.. so why are all the component streamers getting their panties in a bunch?

Frankfurt

Banned
90% of the comments on Kotaku are from people that have non-HDMI HDTVs. I guess there IS a lot of people with those. There's also people with HDTVs with only 1 or 2 HDMIs...

mt1200

OldJadedGamer said:
I still think my old school non/HDMI and 1080i only 30inch HDTV has the best picture I've ever seen on a TV.

I need one of those old school HD CRT tvs, they look so good.

Except those samsung slimfit and their awful geometry problems

Lopson said:
OP should make it clear in the first post that only new PS3s will be afflicted by this disease.

It was a mistake to think that people would read the whole thing (or even actually look at the photo) before freaking out.

McLovin

jmdajr said:
that's all this is about. pushing new hardware sales and closing the analog loop hole.
Thats true, plus if someone actually wanted hd through component then they would be forced to buy an older model before they sold out. Kind of like when they where phasing out the 60gb ps2 bc model.

DatBreh

Banned
pestul said:
Yeah, it doesn't effect current systems.. so why are all the component streamers getting their panties in a bunch?

What if their current PS3 breaks? What if they currently dont have a PS3 but were planning on picking one up when they dropped in price substantially?

FlyinJ said:
My current TV is a Vizio 720p 38".

For some reason, HDMI looks like utter shit on it. It aliases the crap out of the image, and anything solid white looks incredibly pixelated (especially text).

No idea why this is. Component at 720p looks fantastic on it, however.

Try properly calibrating it. Sound like the sharpness is way too high.

Oppo

Guys, its a blu-ray sunset provision, so you can't blame a hardware manufacturer like Sony.

Instead, blame a movie studio, like Sony.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
DatBreh said:
What if their current PS3 breaks? What if they currently dont have a PS3 but were planning on picking one up when they dropped in price substantially?

Also just bad for consumers in general. Flexibility is a good thing and this is just Sony being Sony.

PortTwo said:
Guys, its a blu-ray sunset provision, so you can't blame a hardware manufacturer like Sony.

Instead, blame a movie studio, like Sony.

The evil Hydra that is Sony Corp.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Snapshot King said:
It was a mistake to think that people would read the whole thing (or even actually look at the photo) before freaking out.

lol indeed.

Easy fix for a mod tho. Just replace "PS3" with"New PS3 models" in the title.

McLovin

DatBreh said:
Don't wait... get one now?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DasRaven said:
It's a mandate from the AACS adopter forum that blu-ray players built after Dec. 2010 sunset HD over analog. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5854

This will prevent pirates doing what they love to do best: Record HD feeds in real time over analog cables onto analog media. That will show those fiends. There's no way to pirate anything digitally.

Frankfurt said:
90% of the comments on Kotaku are from people that have non-HDMI HDTVs. I guess there IS a lot of people with those. There's also people with HDTVs with only 1 or 2 HDMIs...

Just like 90% of people on Kotaku used PS3's OtherOS feature.

Now, I'm not implying lack of HDMI on some HD TV's isn't a problem, because I know it is, I think it's just Kotaku being Kotaku, and thinking "This is Sony's fault." So they just want to rave about like some baboons.

Raistlin

phosphor112 said:
Blame the MPAA, etc. not Sony. ALL bluray devices will be enforced to do this, not just the PS3, and not just Sony devices.
fixed for accuracy.

AACS isn't really to blame for the particulars here. It's just the mechanism for enforcing some of the regulations.

I got my original HDTV in December 05 for my 360 and it only had component which I was using up until March when I got a new 32" LG. My PS3 got YLOD back in January and now i've got a job im going to get a new one, guess i'll have to get one before the "K" model comes out because i'd like to have the option of playing it in HD on my old HDTV should I ever need to.

DatBreh

Banned
McLovin said:
Don't wait... get one now?

Seriously? A feature is being removed that will adversely affect a lot of potential customers and your solution is "get one now". Why not go all the way and suggest people just buy new tvs?

Megadragon15 said:
I won't believe this after what they said about OtherOS.
Sigh.... read a little bit people. Read at least the AACS clause in question. It's only devices made this year that have to be switched over to this new system.

Who uses component cables anyway? If you don't know that you can easily get HDMI cables for less than $10 you deserve to be stuck with SD cables.

Duxxy3 said:
The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.
It's sad because it's true.

I <3 my fatty ^_^

Raistlin said:
fixed for accuracy.

AACS isn't really to blame for the particulars here. It's just the mechanism for enforcing some of the regulations.

The MPAA has it's moments of being good. Gotta protect IP holders, but this DRM is just stupid, especially since the AACS was already freaking cracked 2 years ago.

Emitan

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
Who uses component cables anyway? If you don't know that you can easily get HDMI cables for less than $10 you deserve to be stuck with SD cables.
Find me an HD CRT with digital input and I'd gladly use it.

IcyBlueStrawberry said:

Only the thousands of folks with televisions that predate HDMI.

McLovin

DatBreh said:
Seriously? A feature is being removed that will adversely affect a lot of potential customers and your solution is "get one now".
Yeah, it personally doesn't affect me since I already have one. And buying a new HDTV without hdmi cables is pretty much impossible. I mean if you bought an hdtv within the last 5 years you most likely have hdmi. If you don't then your tv will probably need replacing soon since they usually last about 7 years if your lucky. Yeah some people are gonna get f*cked, but not enough to make a difference. And people with only one hdmi port can just get an hdmi switch.

Morn said:
Requiring HDMI isn't much of a problem.

The problem is not including HDMI in the box and requiring people to buy them because most stores will try to sell a $100 Monster HDMI cable to gullible purchasers.
This is very true, its a shame too because $100 cables give the same exact performance as $5 cables. The average consumer wont look online, or look in the right stores.

Morn

Banned
Requiring HDMI isn't much of a problem.

The problem is not including HDMI in the box and requiring people to buy them because most stores will try to sell a $100 Monster HDMI cable to gullible purchasers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IcyBlueStrawberry said:

all the people in the thread explaining why they don't use hdmi cables?

renitou said:
There has to be a cut-off for legacy ports at some point. Now is as good a time as any.

this doesn't cut off a legacy port. you'll still be able to plug in component cables.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
IcyBlueStrawberry said:

God some people cant comprehend the reasons, good lord, do some of you even read the OP?, or just look @ title base an ASSumption

I can't take it anymore:

npfcwm.gif

No one is bitching HDMI costing too much. No one is stating Sony had this going just "According to Keikaku” (Translator's Note: Keikaku means plan).

Most are upset that their OLD PS3's are running through a service that their TV offers. If it dies (YLOD anyone), a new PS3 = New HDTV...how hard is that to realize.

Top Bottom