• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

Sweeper17

Neo Member
I still a old school TV that uses component input for best picture. No matter what anybody says Xbox360 still looks 100x better than PS2 on a shit TV

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sweeper17 said:
Well SONY I still own a SDTV and don't plan on upgrading I don't think XBOX would ever do this tho.

It's a shame that you won't be able to output in HD to your SDTV.

Raistlin

phosphor112 said:
The MPAA has it's moments of being good. Gotta protect IP holders, but this DRM is just stupid, especially since the AACS was already freaking cracked 2 years ago.
Well the DRM has been cracked in-so-far as copying/ripping BD movies. I believe this specif mandate is at the HW level on players.

Hell, in a couple years the next step actually gets activated. New players will simply not have analog at all.

Side note: We should probably me more specific when discussion the AACS (me included). Everyone's kind of using the term loosely to represent the founding companies, the physical DRM, and the actual DRM agreement. It's quite muddy.

DatBreh

Banned
IcyBlueStrawberry said:
Why buy a new PS3 to go with an old TV then?

It's not as if functionality is being nerfed for older models.

Wow, today i learned people buy new tvs to go with their gaming consoles. All these years i have been using the same tv for all these systems. I guess i better start saving up for a TV with the next gen of systems.

YoungFa

The clause is 2 years old know, and since then you'd knew that somewhen not later than 2011 analog hd support had to be removed from the console. And on the back of the box it reads:
PS3 packaging said:
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice
It still sucks for component hd users though.

Raistlin

Morn said:
Requiring HDMI isn't much of a problem.

The problem is not including HDMI in the box and requiring people to buy them because most stores will try to sell a $100 Monster HDMI cable to gullible purchasers.
The reality is you have the chicken/egg backwards here.

Stores pressure manufacturers to not include HDMI cables because it's one of the areas they make high margins.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
polyh3dron said:
aahahahahaha you so funny

$1.96 if you're willing to go with a 1.5 foot cable but the point isn't the cheapest cost of an HDMI cable, it's that the average customer is going to get fleeced and people who want to use component will be screwed over for no reason.

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
Why buy a new PS3 to go with an old TV then?

It's not as if functionality is being nerfed for older models.

oh my god really

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Doesn't sound like to major of a deal. It will effect some people, but many consumers don't even realize component can transmit HD. This will suck for people who need a new system and have an older HDTV though.

Plus, official playstation component cables cost $25.

Stumpokapow said:
$1.96 if you're willing to go with a 1.5 foot cable but the point isn't the cheapest cost of an HDMI cable, it's that the average customer is going to get fleeced and people who want to use component will be screwed over for no reason.

oh my god really
I don't mean it in a "buy a new TV for your new PS3" way.

I mean that if you need to fulfill certain requirements to use a product, why complain about it? If your TV has HDMI then great, use it to play HD games. If not, that sucks, but it's not as if you haven't had options.

McLovin

Drkirby said:
Doesn't sound like to major of a deal. It will effect some people, but most consumers don't even realize component can transmit HD.
Thats true, I mean I know people that have multiple hdmi ports and have their system hooked up through composite(rca) cables. Most people wont know, but a small percentage will be screwed.

jackdoe

Doesn't really seem to be a big deal to be frankly honest (hell, my old ass five year old HDTV has HDMI ports) but it doesn't make sense since Sony makes a killing on their proprietary component cables. Why take away HD game support?

YoungFa

Drkirby said:
Doesn't sound like to major of a deal. It will effect some people, but most consumers don't even realize component can transmit HD.

Plus, official playstation component cables cost $25.

Most users hook up their ps3 via composite/scart to their hdtv. Sad but true.

pestul

Billychu said:
He was exaggerating. It's more like $2 for one.

I might "upgrade" to a HD CRT with HDMI at some point then.
Actually he was probably laughing where most people still spend $39.99 for them when they can be had for $2. :S

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IcyBlueStrawberry said:
I don't mean it in a "buy a new TV for your new PS3" way.

I mean that if you need to fulfill certain requirements to use a product, why complain about it? If your TV has HDMI then great, use it to play HD games. If not, that sucks, but it's not as if you haven't had options.

You didn't mean that you should have to buy a new TV for a new PS3, you only meant that you should have to buy a new TV for a new PS3 to play it in HD! Now the argument makes much more sense!

Raistlin

The reality is Sony obviously needs to decouple its game output versus BD (unless they fucked up and there's no way to get around it with the licensing agreements).

Hopefully this is just a misinterpretation and it really isn't in reference to games - just movies. Obviously the history with HDCP makes me cautious, but that's a different scenario.

Let me put it this way, the next step (end of 2013) is that BD will not transfer over analog ... at all. Obviously I don't see Sony requiring HDMI for HD gaming for PS4 (and PS3 if it's still around). That would be a bit surprising ... but who knows, it's a ways away.

McLovin said:
Question: Will these work? HDMI to Component cable $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IUQB2W/?tag=neogaf0e-20
No mention of support for HDCP (and based on reviews, obviously it ain't there).

So no.

jackdoe

Stumpokapow said:
You didn't mean that you should have to buy a new TV for a new PS3, you only meant that you should have to buy a new TV for a new PS3 to play it in HD! Now the argument makes much more sense!
To be fair though, if you don't have an HDTV with an HDMI port, you are already gimping the current PS3 in terms of Blu-ray playback.

larvi

My gaming HDTV doesn't have HDMI. I have ps2/GC/xbox hooked up with component, 360 with VGA and a home theatre PC with DVI. I guess I won't be adding a PS3 to it now which I was eventually planning on.

Hazelhurst

VariantX said:
So, now I have to buy a brand new HDTV just to play PS3 games in HD since my HDTV is apparently too old now? Fantastic.
If I'm reading it right, this only affects the newest model PS3s.

alr1ght

larvi said:
My gaming HDTV doesn't have HDMI. I have ps2/GC/xbox hooked up with component, 360 with VGA and a home theatre PC with DVI. I guess I won't be adding a PS3 to it now which I was eventually planning on.

buy one now.

Emitan

Speevy said:
That's a pretty stupid move, but we're late enough in the generation that it doesn't really matter.
So it's not a dick move if they do it 5 years after the system comes out? I wasn't aware time makes bad things automatically OK.

TouchMyBox said:
Spend $1000 on new TV

Or

Pirate movies

Good move, movie industry.
Yeah... I only watch movies on Netflix so most movie studio DRM doesn't affect me but their business practices are...illogical at best.

The thing I just simply don't understand is why is a system this power too stupid to understand when a game or movie is being played? Why is movie DRM coming over to the game part?

BocoDragon said:
It will still run composite, S-video and component in standard definition.

Oh, I missed it as they were getting rid of the entire port. The one that does both HD and SD.

ymmv said:
Not the first. The PS2 lost a network/HD bay extension

Not true, as the original PS2 launch units didn't have an HDD bay then it was added, then it was taken away but the very first launch units lacked an HDD bay.

Snapshot King said:
Useless for new ones. They're not updating all existing PS3s to stop using component, just all newly manufactured ones.

Unless they remove the feature through firmware... which they have done in the past.
PortTwo said:
Guys, its a blu-ray sunset provision, so you can't blame a hardware manufacturer like Sony.

Instead, blame a movie studio, like Sony.

This reminds me of when Jack Tretton blamed the bloated movie prices of UMD's on the movie studios. Movie studios.... like Sony Pictures.

alr1ght

TouchMyBox said:
Good move, movie industry.

which is kind of strange, as AACS was cracked years ago.

Billychu said:
So it's not a dick move if they do it 5 years after the system comes out? I wasn't aware time makes bad things automatically OK.

They aren't gimping your present PS3, this only affects new models. All new models have to meet a specification to be sold as a blu-ray player, which the PS3 is. Why they're gimping the game output, I don't know.

Raistlin

Massa said:
Not at all.

Like it or not, reality is the new media formats simply wouldn't have existed without it. I don't like it any more than you, but I realize it had to happen.

Just look at the companies that founded AACS. They came together to create a bridge so the two opposing sides (CE's and content providers) could communicate. Basically they were the adults in the room during negotiations to make sure neither side was getting bent over too much.

alr1ghtstart said:
which is kind of strange, as AACS was cracked years ago.
different things

Back in my day, when they released newer electronics, they made them better instead of worse.

Also, relevant:
1zge0jo.jpg

Emitan

grap3fruitman said:
Back in my day, when they released newer electronics, they made them better instead of worse.

Also, relevant:
1zge0jo.jpg
When are my consoles going to support 16:10? I'm tired of black bars.

NateDrake

This sucks if you buy this new model, but the email states it doesn't have any affect on the other models available at retail just this new 'K' 160GB model.

Odd decision nonetheless.

Stumpokapow said:
-_-

Maybe I'm not communicating my point correctly.

Old PS3's will still exist, both new and used. It's not as if Sony is forcing you to buy a new model. If your (likely) aging TV doesn't support HDMI, then you can't get angry at Sony for phasing out something that is increasingly rare. If you already have an HDTV and use component cables with your PS3 then you're fine. If you don't have a newer TV and want to buy a new PS3 then you're going to have to accept SD output as your TV is becoming dated technology, like all tech eventually becomes.

Emitan

NateDrake said:
This sucks if you buy this new model, but the email states it doesn't have any affect on the other models available at retail just this new 'K' 160GB model.

Odd decision nonetheless.
As far as I know this only applies to electronics made now, but I'm still slightly wary of them pulling an Other OS and removing HD from all systems.

jackdoe

I have to say though, I am surprised at the rather large number of people who have HDTVs without an HDMI port. My old HDTV was a mid tier model, bought in 2007 (but released in 2006) and had two HDMI ports. I mean, I did my research at the time and made sure I bought an HDTV with HDMI since I figured that would be the new standard (and since I figured on Blu-ray playback for the future). For those with component only HDTVs, when did you buy your models?

Top Bottom