• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 40% of US adults are obese, government survey finds

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My weight has got out of control. I’ve been doing cardio on my treadmill, but only about 30 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but it’s more exercise than I’m used to getting. I want to increase the time gradually. Any weight loss tips? I drink a lot of soda, but I can’t seem to kick the sugary drinks for some reason. I think that’s my primary source of weight gain.
I'm not someone to give health tips, as I love pop too.

If you must drink it, maybe try diet pop, any zero calorie stuff like Fresca, or bottles of water with that flavouring powder or squirty shit. Those flavour things are only about 10 calories per use.

I've bought club soda and squirted in Mio, and then very gently mix it so you don't wear out the carbonation. Tastes like a pop to me.

I know, I've read articles saying diet pop isn't really any better for scientific reason 1-2-3, but the raw calorie spec is 0 calories. At least it's a start.

My weight has got out of control. I’ve been doing cardio on my treadmill, but only about 30 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but it’s more exercise than I’m used to getting. I want to increase the time gradually. Any weight loss tips? I drink a lot of soda, but I can’t seem to kick the sugary drinks for some reason. I think that’s my primary source of weight gain.
definitely kick it or severely reduce the intake. Also, I really recommend going for a jog in a local park. It is much more fun and relaxing. I advise against treadmills as much as you can because there so many nice places you can just walk. Also if you go to the gym for a workout (not just treadmill) I advise staying no more than an hour. Personally I only go for 30mins for an intense workout for all major parts of my body. My theory is that if you spend less time there initially it makes it easier to motivate yourself to go back and leaves you more time for your work day.

cosmic wizard

Neo Member
Eat a more pure diet - raw fruit and veg - mix the colours.

Ditch the sugars!!!

Ditch the sweetener. Tricking your body is never a good idea.

Avoid all soft drinks (sugar or no sugar) - Drink more water instead.

Substitute wheat for oats whenever possible. Wheat is an opiate - not because it makes you high - it makes you hungry. Research.

Keep fried food to a minimum - avoid vegetable oils - a lot of these places the vegetable oil quickly becomes rancid + unstable at high temperatures. Research good fats.

Be aware of citric acid used in food additives. (Dental health)

Research the gut - brain connection.

mr.dilya

Banned
Who gives a shit. I certainly don't care about a bunch of people I don't know nor will I ever know. If they are happy how they are then what does it matter to me? We will be dead one day so in the end what's it matter if someone is fat or skinny?

Also the idea fat equals unhealthy is wholey incorrect. A obese person who exercises moderately is in general better health than a skinny person who does not. And skinny people are not immune to health problems controllable and uncontrollable.

People are allowed to eat and drink anything they want. It's a freedom of choice we all get to use whether you choose to eater sugar all day or kale you get to decide. I like shit that's bad for you and one day I'll be dead so who gives a fuck. Just like all the people who eat organic vegan diets and so on will be dead also.

The bolded is what I really get pissed off about. No my guy, you are NOT healthier than a skinny person, not on this planet anyway. If you excercised AT ALL and ate better you wouldn't be fat.

Last edited:

Nester99

I lost 50 lbs last year.
20 years of joy snaking, office job and gaming hobby. 6'3 280

The key was reduction of sugary drinks. Coke, Redbull, Apple Juice and the surprise Milk.

You will not reach your goals unless you cut out the sugar drinks. Its not possible to exercise those calories away.

A can of coke is 180 calories. one a day works out to 18 lbs a year.
Milk was the shocker for me, i drank like 3 large glasses a day, 500 calories in fucking milk....

I got a caloric counter (myfitnesspal) and it changed the way i think about food. I now think about it like my household budget, i got 2200 calories to spend a day, lets make sure i dont waste 800 of them on a starbucks frap with extra whip.
Seeing exactly what you do to yourself on paper or the app can change the way you think about eating and drinking. It did for me. I started to value health over that 2nd helping, drink/pop. then i got motivated by that thinking to do better, went from cutting down on crap to cutting most of it out.

Get a Water cooler with those 5 gallon jugs, get a few back up jugs. You can afford it with the money your going to save not buying all that soda and juice.
I Guarantee you that if you replace pop, juice, milk with ice cold fresh pure water, after about 2 weeks you will no longer crave the sugar.
Don't eat anything after 8pm get some sleep and keep rocking your treadmill. It will happen but you have to be patient and just grind it out.

the hardest part for me was being patient. even if its 2 lbs a month. thats 24 lbs a year....how cool would that be in 2 or 3 years?
Grind it out like a RPG.

Good Luck. PM me anytime.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
If you must drink it, maybe try diet pop,
I know, I've read articles saying diet pop isn't really any better for scientific reason 1-2-3, but the raw calorie spec is 0 calories. At least it's a start.
Diet sodas taste like crap and nothing like the original.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesseract

Banned
If you have one glass every 2 or 3 days, if not that shit is full of sugar. Marketing did a great job at convincing people orange juice is super healthy.

it's full of natural sugar, the gloop in soda is what kills

not that i care, i don't drink that shit

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
It's still a shitload of calories contained in a glass of orange juice, your body doesn't give a shit if it's natural, it still turns to fat.

of course your body cares that it's natural sugar ...

it's still bad tho, sugar is bad, it is the enemy, but the vitamins and minerals are good and the free sugars aren't as dangerous as rapidly refined / processed shit in beverages and snacks

('m not trying to be a stick in the mud)

*edit* cleaned up post, apologies for poor syntax, tired

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
tenor.gif

squallheart

Eat a more pure diet - raw fruit and veg - mix the colours.

Ditch the sugars!!!

Ditch the sweetener. Tricking your body is never a good idea.

Avoid all soft drinks (sugar or no sugar) - Drink more water instead.

Substitute wheat for oats whenever possible. Wheat is an opiate - not because it makes you high - it makes you hungry. Research.

Keep fried food to a minimum - avoid vegetable oils - a lot of these places the vegetable oil quickly becomes rancid + unstable at high temperatures. Research good fats.

Be aware of citric acid used in food additives. (Dental health)

Research the gut - brain connection.

This. I had to change my whole diet and went down 15 pounds but now I really need to motivate myself to go back to the gym. If you can't get rid of sugar, then use lankanto to get yourself off of sugar. Healthier alternative. Dont wait too long and end up being diagnosed with gerd like I was. That was a wake up call.

A mile on a treadmill burns about 100 calories, more if you are overweight or run it really quickly. Exercise is helpful but one cheeseburger, piece of cake, or even a large snack or salad is the equivalent to how many calories you will burn.

Get myfitness pal app on your phone, and the pacer app. Start logging your activity and the food you are eating. If you don't log your food in a scientific way you do not know how much you are eating. This can be frustrating sometimes, as there are a few foods that it's hard to get an accurate measure on.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
You've clearly never had Sweet Baby Ray's.

I just made a batch of fried wings where I cooked some Hot and Spicy Ray's sauce onto them in the oven to carmelize the sugars in it. I probably ate damn near 1600 calories in one sitting.

Life is short and I don't care if I'm shortening my late 80s.

cormack12

Gold Member
I set up 5 people in my office with myfitnesspal last year. All of them wanted to lose weight and all were at least 50-75lbs overweight. There was no exercise plan, just a calorie counter and some very base guidelines. No calories from drinks, no fast food and no more than 100g of carbs. Not one of them stuck to it for more than a week. I heard stuff like 'I still like my toast in the morning, I have a glass of wine on Fridays (or two).' and so on.

Losing weight is probably up there with smoking as the hardest thing to do for people. But let's stop with the excuses, if you really want to lose weight, you can. For around £10 you can get mince, tomatoes, onion, stock cubes and pasta and have bolognese for one for 4 days or a family meal for four. Takes about 40 minutes to prepare. Or you can buy ready meals, takeout, micro chips etc. Eating cheap(er) is a factor but it's not the gulf that people would have you believe. You can get 1kg of carrots or celery for like 50p and a dip for £2, that's a light lunch for a few days. Home made soup is the cost of two squashes and an onion (£3.50) and makes a vat of the stuff.

It's hard, and it's more convenient to pick multipacks of crisps, twirls and bags of frozen foods off the shelf. Because you just throw them to the kids or stick them in the oven and forget about them, whereas making a meal takes effort. It's not like most people try and fail here, they don't try at all which is where the problem is. And yes, if you generally have a balanced diet, you can get away with the odd pizza, fried chicken takeaway. Just not 3 times a week.

It is easier to not consume the calories then exercise them off.

Azurro

Banned
of course your body cares that it's natural sugar ...

it's still bad tho, sugar is bad, it is the enemy, but the vitamins and minerals are good and the free sugars aren't as dangerous as rapidly refined / processed shit in beverages and snacks

('m not trying to be a stick in the mud)

*edit* cleaned up post, apologies for poor syntax, tired

No, not really, sugar is sugar, both gets processed and turned into fat. The thing about "natural" sugars is that you consume less of it if the source is a fruit, since you also consume a lot of fiber and is just less efficient. Drinking a 100% natural glass of orange juice has a LOT of oranges squeezed in there, it's about the same or more calories than a glass of coke.

Tesseract

Banned
No, not really, sugar is sugar, both gets processed and turned into fat. The thing about "natural" sugars is that you consume less of it if the source is a fruit, since you also consume a lot of fiber and is just less efficient. Drinking a 100% natural glass of orange juice has a LOT of oranges squeezed in there, it's about the same or more calories than a glass of coke.

nope, the biochem is different

fructose, glucose, so on, the process is different

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
On a related note, it always pisses me off when some good BBQ joint in my area closes down because no one has good taste in food and just wanna stuff their faces with McDonald’s and Burger King every fucking day. Have some fucking self respect and treat yourself to food that’s actually good, will ya? Or at least refine your damn palette.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I was about 380 lbs and only did about 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week on an elliptical and ate a turkey mustard wrap pretty much every meal but breakfast which was plain scrambled eggs and fruit (kill me) and lost 150 lbs .. I plateaued and gained a little back because I don’t go to the gym as often anymore.

I found out in soda I really only like the carbonation so every once in a while I treated myself to a half carbonated water and apple juice for the flavor.

I’m trying to get back into it.

cryptoadam

Banned
I was about 380 lbs and only did about 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week on an elliptical and ate a turkey mustard wrap pretty much every meal but breakfast which was plain scrambled eggs and fruit (kill me) and lost 150 lbs .. I plateaued and gained a little back because I don’t go to the gym as often anymore.

I found out in soda I really only like the carbonation so every once in a while I treated myself to a half carbonated water and apple juice for the flavor.

I’m trying to get back into it.

Holy shit dude 150 lbs! Thats like more than an entire me.

I bow down to your commitment and hard work.

Durask

Well, soda. Soda is liquid candy. If you absolutely cannot stop soda try soda with stevia.

What always works for me is to get rid of carbs
-bread
-pasta
-rice
-anything with added sugar

Also avoid very sweet fruit like bananas or mango or grapes.

Durask

Sugar is sugar.

Also fructose leads to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. A lot of modern fruit are essentially genetically engineered bags of water and fructose (grapes especially).

LMJ

Considering the Government's system to determine this is the BMI (body mass index) I will choose to take this news with a HUGE grain of salt...

The BMI is inherently broken as it entirely ignores things like, sex, body type (endo,exo,meta) age, nationality, and most importantly muscle density...

By the BMI standards over half of our star athletes are overweight or obese...

cryptoadam

Banned
She gotta have that power thrusting to take a GAF dong, we know they are all 12 inches minimum and 15 lbs at least.

jadedm17

Theyre all in Florida if youre wondering why it seems high.

I dont like to judge but youd be surprised how many times i got asked at my first serving job "Does your boss only hire fat people?"

It was once but i thought the same when i was hired so it was funny hearing it out loud.

Tesseract

Banned
Theyre all in Florida if youre wondering why it seems high.

I dont like to judge but youd be surprised how many times i got asked at my first serving job "Does your boss only hire fat people?"

It was once but i thought the same when i was hired so it was funny hearing it out loud.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
All these pro dieting tips. Eat less, eat more healthy! Wow who knew!?

While we are all freaking out over corona, we barely talk about something much more deadly. Billions of marketing dollars spent on making everyone fat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom