• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 40% of US adults are obese, government survey finds

Theyre all in Florida if youre wondering why it seems high.

I dont like to judge but youd be surprised how many times i got asked at my first serving job "Does your boss only hire fat people?"

It was once but i thought the same when i was hired so it was funny hearing it out loud.
Nothing tells you how out of shape average America is more than going to any of the Florida theme parks and sprinting to the new rides when the park opens. People just die 10 seconds in

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My weight has got out of control. I’ve been doing cardio on my treadmill, but only about 30 minutes a day. I know that’s not a lot, but it’s more exercise than I’m used to getting. I want to increase the time gradually. Any weight loss tips? I drink a lot of soda, but I can’t seem to kick the sugary drinks for some reason. I think that’s my primary source of weight gain.
Calories in vs. Calories out.

Eat a light breakfast, like 200 calories. Oatmeal and peanut butter. Hard boiled egg and yogurt. Protein bar. Something small.

Lunch, eat a salad with meat and light dressing, or a meal consisting of primarily vegetables. 400 calories tops.

Supper, eat a normal meal, with a large portion of protein. 700-800 calories. Salmon is best.

When you do cardio, go hard and keep challenging yourself to improve over time. Also lift weights. Low calories protein drinks after a workout have 30 g protein and only 160 calories now.

You'll be hitting 1500 calories a day or less, with heavy activity. You'll lose weight pretty quick. 6 months and you'll really notice it.

Have small snacks around, like apples, or freeze dried fruit. Have low calories dessert options for when you need a hint of sugar. Mints are like 20 calories. Small portions of ice cream are 100.

Allow a cheat day where you have at least one meal with anything you want once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Don't drink your calories. Drink water, coffee, diet soda, low calories fruit juice, tea.

Airola

I'm fat because the world is too easy and I like having things easy and I like those quick bursts of extremely tasty edible and drinkable things. I'm a lazy bastard with a thing for hedonism and zero backbone to go through painful ordeals. That's all there is to it.

I'm fat because the world is too easy and I like having things easy and I like those quick bursts of extremely tasty edible and drinkable things. I'm a lazy bastard with a thing for hedonism and zero backbone to go through painful ordeals. That's all there is to it.

Okay, but what's better in life, tasty drinkable things or a QT 3.14 mirin your abs?

Mistake

This is too much of a problem to keep ignoring and I wish the US would take it more seriously. To anyone here trying to lose weight, I sincerely wish you the best. Do it for yourself, first and foremost, but also do it for the people that care about you.

highrider

Banned
In America the urban centers tend to have your more fit type people, more social pressure there to look good. But the further out from the city you go, the bigger people get.

Chromata

Calories in vs. Calories out.

Eat a light breakfast, like 200 calories. Oatmeal and peanut butter. Hard boiled egg and yogurt. Protein bar. Something small.

Lunch, eat a salad with meat and light dressing, or a meal consisting of primarily vegetables. 400 calories tops.

Supper, eat a normal meal, with a large portion of protein. 700-800 calories. Salmon is best.

When you do cardio, go hard and keep challenging yourself to improve over time. Also lift weights. Low calories protein drinks after a workout have 30 g protein and only 160 calories now.

You'll be hitting 1500 calories a day or less, with heavy activity. You'll lose weight pretty quick. 6 months and you'll really notice it.

Have small snacks around, like apples, or freeze dried fruit. Have low calories dessert options for when you need a hint of sugar. Mints are like 20 calories. Small portions of ice cream are 100.

Allow a cheat day where you have at least one meal with anything you want once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Don't drink your calories. Drink water, coffee, diet soda, low calories fruit juice, tea.

I'd be careful hitting the gym hard on a 1500 calorie diet. You want to make sure you're recovering between workouts with proper nutrition and that you're minimizing the amount of muscle loss. Placing your body in that much of a deficit isn't healthy and it'll definitely cause a rebound effect over 6 months once you reintroduce a proper diet.

The faster you lose the weight, the less likely you're going to keep it off, and the more likely you're metabolizing muscle alongside fat.

I highly suggest looking into Athlean X on YouTube for anyone who wants to change their body composition. You'll find excellent exercise and nutrition advice from a personal trainer for free.

Chromata

Both make you fat, both are unhealthy.

Sugar doesn't make you fat and it's not unhealthy. Your brain's primary energy source is glucose and it's also the first macronutrient metabolized by muscles during exercise though glycogen stores.

Eating excess calories without exercising makes you fat. Eating refined sugars and overindulging in foods with a high glycemic index is unhealthy.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think BMI has largely been replaced with a more rounded method which is your waistline shouldn't be more than half your height.

There's a pdf floating round called the underround fat loss method too. If you do the first three days, it teaches you just how much water weight is in carried carbs as well (300 kcals per day)

Top Bottom