• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Patch 4 is now rolling out

woen

Is getting money easy?

Microtransactions are a problem when the game is designed around it. So in this case if I. Money in side quests is hard to get. II. The price of items is ridiculously high.

Is that the case here? Do side missions give you enough money, and are items priced to high it takes forever?

If the answer is yes, then microtransactions are surely a problem. Even IF they re-vamped the system to fix past problems. Not saying it is. I'm only 30% into the game, and tbh haven't been focusing on buying things. So I'm not sure what the side mission for money + the prices really are (especially together).

It's not as easy as before because they changed the economic system. You can earn money pretty quickly if you pull the right triggers : the right sidequests (Paris stories, some give you 5 to 25k), the investment in cafés so you earn money each 20 minutes, the heists missions that are challenging but really funny. You have to get used to how the economy works so it takes time. However I won't say that is difficult, it's king more of challenging.
You can't buy everything with a normal playthrough but it's because you get specialized throughout the story and I think this is game design choice from them.

I don't think they designed the game around microtransactions. It's hard to tell, I think it needs a proper analysis from someone who knows how these economic systems work, but imho the microtransactions don't affect the game. Or if they affect it, it's marginal ; or it brought a more challenging economic system, so it's for the better.

ZeroX03

Banned
You're speaking as though I didn't experience any issues or notice the differences - I certainly did. After a couple of fumbles early on I got the hang of the new timings and I really, really enjoyed the challenge the game added. Like I said, it's not nearly perfect, and needs significant work. But I think it's on the right track. The harsher timings and more responsive enemies (much more eager to attack in waves and simultaneously), plus additional enemy types make it my favorite game of the series in terms of combat, even despite the short comings.

The story and voice cast are both unexpectedly good, but unfortunately it's a buggy game in general. Reallll buggy. I ran into several major issues, even in the Mr Freeze DLC that came out months later. Those are what kept it from being my unambiguous favorite.

I guess we just differ: the issues made the game unbearably bad for me. Making variations basically obsolete really makes it feel monotonous and while I'd like the combat sped up I would prefer all animations improved to match and just being balanced by Rocksteady like they did their past two games.

The stealth was less outright bad but man did it suffer from glitches. The Deadshot room took me hours because of all sorts of oddities.

rBose

Banned
First thoughts from people who tested it are :

-The new NVidia driver improved the FPS, the patch did not, performance is exactly the same, still stutters as it did before the patch

-LOD Pop-In issue seems to have been slightly tweaked

-A steam friend said that the fps is even worse

This was the majestic Performance patch ? lol

comrade

First thoughts from people who tested it are :

-The new NVidia driver improved the FPS, the patch did not, performance is exactly the same, still stutters as it did before the patch

-LOD Pop-In issue seems to have been slightly tweaked

-A steam friend said that the fps is even worse

This was the majestic Performance patch ? lol

Ugh makes me not even want to download it.

rBose

Banned
From the steam discussions :

"Patch 4 fixes nothing......
So once again Ubisoft fails to hold up their end and fix this game...

As an SLI user I'm still experiencing stuttering every couple seconds, but now it appears to be much, much worse.

Instead of a brief pause every 2 seconds with good framerates inbetween, it's a full on FPS drop. The game was unplayable before, now its completely and utterly trashed."

comrade

From the steam discussions :

"Patch 4 fixes nothing......
So once again Ubisoft fails to hold up their end and fix this game...

As an SLI user I'm still experiencing stuttering every couple seconds, but now it appears to be much, much worse.

Instead of a brief pause every 2 seconds with good framerates inbetween, it's a full on FPS drop. The game was unplayable before, now its completely and utterly trashed."

I don't think I should download this patch considering I'm actually getting a stable 60fps on my 970 with the beta drivers.

rBose

Banned
It doesn't mention if whether is the installed size or the raw package size

We're talking about Ubisoft, everything is possible.

Also :

Platforms: Steam available 12/18/14 and on Uplay 12/19/14

lol

Yasae

Banned
It's never been great but in this game it's an exercise in frustration. As soon as you see more than three guards you need to run, but good luck making it, because they'll probably just all start shooting you instead.
Three? Meh. I would've believed you at six or seven.

The most I've taken on is four five-star guards with relatively good gear. The game forces you to parry better with more difficult enemies because their strikes are rather furious.

comrade

It doesn't mention if whether is the installed size or the raw package size

We're talking about Ubisoft, everything is possible.

Also :

Platforms: Steam available 12/18/14 and on Uplay 12/19/14

lol

It's like even Ubisoft doesn't want you to use uPlay.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
Is the framerate improvement significant or not? I know there are still moments were the game dips, but are these moments limited compared to pre patch? Does the game run most of the time at 30ish frames per sec?

Kinda? The game does look smoother with the 1.04 patch and the extremely choppy sections definitely appear less frequently now.

But I say "kinda" because the game just doesn't look smooth due to so many of the animations looking clunky and unrefined. Even when the game appears to be hitting the 30fps range, it's still not what I would call a "smooth game" at this point.

What bothers me is that this is reportedly the last patch. The game is now "good enough" in Ubisoft's eyes despite the fact that it still needs significant optimization. If I knew that another optimization patch is coming, I'd probably have a lot more positive things to say about 1.04.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Installed the 1.4 patch.
Booted up the game.
The massive SLI stuttering is still there.
Quit the game.
Tried resetting the NCP settings.
Booted up the game.
My PC crashed.
Rebooted.
Uninstalled the game.

I couldn't even make it past the intro section. Since launch. Never again, Ubisoft. Never again.

MacBosse

Is the X1 patch down to good size yet?

Damn I didn't know Ubi wrecked their PC customers this hard. Hmmmm ... if anything I won't be buying the next Creed until I know it is a good product.

Is the X1 patch down to good size yet?

Damn I didn't know Ubi wrecked their PC customers this hard. Hmmmm ... if anything I won't be buying the next Creed until I know it is a good product.

Far Cry 4 on pc is still a stuttering mess for some people, after several patches.

The Kiev branch of Ubisoft ported Unity and FC4. They had a lackluster reputation for pc ports before, and they're only solidifying with these two. It's like Ubisoft is trolling the pc community.

I'm calling it now: Assassin's Creed Victory on PC will be delayed past the console versions, citing optimization and claiming to not want to repeat the issues of Unity. PC version will be poorly optimized anyways. Guaranteed.

hohoXD123

Tried to get the free game, but it says I'm not eligible even though I'm logged into the account with both the season pass and unity. They can't even do this without somehow messing up.

You're speaking as though I didn't experience any issues or notice the differences - I certainly did. After a couple of fumbles early on I got the hang of the new timings and I really, really enjoyed the challenge the game added. Like I said, it's not nearly perfect, and needs significant work. But I think it's on the right track. The harsher timings and more responsive enemies (much more eager to attack in waves and simultaneously), plus additional enemy types make it my favorite game of the series in terms of combat, even despite the short comings.

The story and voice cast are both unexpectedly good, but unfortunately it's a buggy game in general. Reallll buggy. I ran into several major issues, even in the Mr Freeze DLC that came out months later. Those are what kept it from being my unambiguous favorite.

The flow of the combat felt off because of how they sped it up so much (especially on the hard difficulty). It ended up reducing the variety of moves that I felt like I could perform effectively and encouraged me to either dodge roll or counter all the time. Shadow of Mordor had the same problem because it asked you to take on so many enemies at a time that you couldn't do many of the moves and instead were forced to cheesy-peesy the combat all the time.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Three? Meh. I would've believed you at six or seven.

The most I've taken on is four five-star guards with relatively good gear. The game forces you to parry better with more difficult enemies because their strikes are rather furious.

The more than one attack in a row thing isn't new, it's also in ACIV. The issue with Unity is enemies with guns. They simply aren't fun to fight against, and now every enemy in the game has one. It means that you get trapped into combat that you can't win, and if you run away there's a good chance you'll die to bullet wounds. Simply frustrating.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is it really that unfun? I thought most complaints were technical and heard they improved the parkouring stuff

The actual assassination missions are good, but there are only 5 of them, maybe 6? Outside of those I think I can recall maybe two memorable missions, everything else is just filler. What was really disappointing was how short the story was, has to be the shortest story mode in the series.

The more than one attack in a row thing isn't new, it's also in ACIV. The issue with Unity is enemies with guns. They simply aren't fun to fight against, and now every enemy in the game has one. It means that you get trapped into combat that you can't win, and if you run away there's a good chance you'll die to bullet wounds. Simply frustrating.

Yea this really got on my nerves, it tells you that it can be avoided by rolling but either that doesn't work or your already in the middle of another animation. The framerate doesn't help, it's hard to believe that the combat is actually getting worse in the series. By the end of the game I was just dropping smoke/stun bombs and mashing attack, which would let you kill maybe 2 guards, rinse/repeat.

Gibbo

Holy shit- after the 1.4 Patch the game now runs at a near 60fps on ultra settings (using SSAO and FXAA) on my 290X. I updated to the omega drivers. Was really skeptical after AC3's poor performance was never fixed, so I'm quite surprised with the outcome. It is still unacceptable that I had to wait close for a month since launch to get the game in this state.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wasn't this supposed to be that PERFORMANCE DEDICATED patch ?

Unlike most of GAF, I'm not able to instantly detect the exact framerate of a game after playing it for three seconds, but with that I want to say the game does seem somewhat smoother to me (PS4 version).

Anybody expecting the game to suddenly hit 30fps all the time was simply deluding themselves.

hmm so they fixed performance, but unfortunately the game still looks kinda goofy because of all the popin and crowd models constantly popping different looking clothing/faces etc which really removes any element of realism of the scene, which is a shame because technically its stunning how many people can be visible

as a tech demo its amazing. as a final game, it just doesnt compete with the polish and quality of GTA V or DAI. Which is a shame, because they went for a more ambitious target (HUGE crowds) but they simply couldnt deliver it given the limitation of the hardware (eg streaming or performance reasons for constantly changing NPC models)

Loakum

Banned
It looks worse. the matrix like pop ins and the sudden silent hil like mist or fog in the background is horrible. Screw this game! Back to gamestop you go!

glaurung

same here. I'm so through with this.
I'm in the same boat. Says I'm not eligible even though I bought the ACU season pass on the 20th of November.

Submitted a ticket to the support site. But knowing those Ubi fuckers, I don't expect any of them to sober up before January.

Chabbles

hmm so they fixed performance, but unfortunately the game still looks kinda goofy because of all the popin and crowd models constantly popping different looking clothing/faces etc which really removes any element of realism of the scene, which is a shame because technically its stunning how many people can be visible

as a tech demo its amazing. as a final game, it just doesnt compete with the polish and quality of GTA V or DAI. Which is a shame, because they went for a more ambitious target (HUGE crowds) but they simply couldnt deliver it given the limitation of the hardware (eg streaming or performance reasons for constantly changing NPC models)

Imagine all the potential zombies ?. I never bought a piece of dlc for an AC game, but i'd buy some goofy zombie shit, like how they done Blood Dragon for FC3.

It looks worse. the matrix like pop ins and the sudden silent hil like mist or fog in the background is horrible. Screw this game! Back to gamestop you go!

I think we are seeing the downside of having 10 teams make a game.

"Oh sorry I did my job crowds can support X numbers which was my target" try and save memory/CPU from another component done by another team

Imagine all the potential zombies ?. I never bought a piece of dlc for an AC game, but i'd buy some goofy zombie shit, like how they done Blood Dragon for FC3.

yeah dead rising 3 showed that you can have a ridiculous amount of NPC on screen AND make them unique AND without the weird popping and LOD issues that we see in play with unity.

will they fix this for next years AC? the yearly grinder is churning out 2015's AC as we speak

and so no one forgets :

Yasae

Banned
I agree mostly. I feel the argument is more about how they made it difficult, not that they made it difficult. You could still slaughter small armies in AC3 and 4 despite them removing the guard button; player movesets were still very overpowered. Making everyone a crack shot, however, is not the smartest way of upping difficulty.

Chaplain

I recorded this yesterday from my XB1 after the patch.

Flags appear and disappear. People appear out of thin air. Hats and clothes also pop out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmrrVvF3fYM&list=UUgJYnV5rUsGvwVwOEUazarA

PS4 version has this as well.

I assume this is how they increased the framerate. By not loading all objects on screen at the same time. On the PS4 version, it is easy to see this is the case by standing in a crowd and panning the camera back and forth. The same characters will pop in and out repeatedly by not moving and panning the camera back and forth. I would rather have this trade off then the low frame rate. I might be one of the few that views it this way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS4 version has this as well.

I assume this is how they increased the framerate. By not loading all objects on screen at the same time. On the PS4 version, it is easy to see this is the case by standing in a crowd and panning the camera back and forth. The same characters will pop in and out repeatedly by not moving and panning the camera back and forth. I would rather have this trade off then the low frame rate. I might be one of the few that views it this way.
I'm 99.9% sure this kind of thing was happening before this patch as well, and it wasn't any less pronounced. In fact, to me the pop in now seems reduced, and mostly happens at the sides of the screens. In earlier videos I've seen, people used to constantly morph right around you as you walk by them (I'm sure that also still happens, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as much)

Wasn't this supposed to be that PERFORMANCE DEDICATED patch ?
Yeah - but I was always under the impression that if you read between the lines, this was mainly a PS4 performance patch, because they spent minimal effort on that version before the release - something they'd obviously never want to admit, but was kind of obvious from various clues.

I'm 99.9% sure this kind of thing was happening before this patch as well, and it wasn't any less pronounced. In fact, to me the pop in now seems reduced, and mostly happens at the sides of the screens. In earlier videos I've seen, people used to constantly morph right around you as you walk by them (I'm sure that also still happens, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as much)

Yeah - but I was always under the impression that if you read between the lines, this was mainly a PS4 performance patch, because they spent minimal effort on that version before the release - something they'd obviously never want to admit, but was kind of obvious from various clues.

yeah the pop in happened before.

Main difference with patch is they dramatically improved the framerate in areas where it really made no sense to be slow, like that very initial intro where environment was simple & there were no crowds just a few soldiers but framerate used to be terrible on PS4 (is fixed now).

They also seem to have eliminated the bizarre difference in performance between PS4 and xbox one.

unfortunately there are still other issues like the crowd detail/LOD system which can pop different elements (clothing, face etc) constantly EVEN IF YOU OR THE CROWD DONT MOVE. This tends to be a problem only when seeing a large number of people versus 90% of the game being set with only modest amount of crowds.

b0bbyJ03

Did the new beta drivers for NVidia cards improve performance on this game? I saw it was made for metal gear so I didn't download yet since I didn't buy GZ.

Did the new beta drivers for NVidia cards improve performance on this game? I saw it was made for metal gear so I didn't download yet since I didn't buy GZ.

Didn't do anything for me and my GTX 680. It improved my Dragon Age Inquisition performance, though

However, I've read some claiming that the beta driver has helped them with Unity. Couldn't hurt to try, I guess.

Top Bottom