• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Patch 4 is now rolling out

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
htFMkfr.png

lol just realized.
tumblr_nf3zijRK671rblqwco7_500.gif

Well at least on X1, it def smoothens out certain areas. Like the FPS is noticeably better. But as I said in the other thread, the problem is there is certain areas in the city that trigger that pre-patch performance. Where things dip substantially and jutter.

The problem is, this is an open world game, where you will traverse large distances. So you are bound to eventually hit these pockets of areas that make your FPS dip and jutter. So you are almost guaranteed to still experience the shoddy performance.

But when you do get to areas where it's 30 FPS stable, it's a big difference.

I still think walking on the ground, has improved overall though. It's just the traversing and Parkour that is still a mess when you get to certain parts of the city. When I first booted up the game post-patch, the first 10 min were really smooth. And I was like okay, this is the real deal. But as soon as I hit certain areas in the city, things were back to normal. :( The good thing is, that smooth locked 30 is still there when you are in certain areas. So it's def an improvement in that sense.

At least, for X1.

Aye the framerate improvement is nice, but I wish they would fix the fan bug.
It concerns me that the fan kicks in that fast when going to any menu.

Jhotun

Neo Member
The graphics... aghh. I keep drooling at those graphics. As an artist myself I am in love with the lighting of this game. It is so easy to sell this game by screenshots... but then you play it and...popping. Everywhere you look there is popping. And random characters doing random things, and flying weapons, and suddenly a woman enters a house running and everyone panics because why not, and in a mission I have to protect a woman but she ends up protecting me because suddenly I can't attack... and then I simply quit the game and go back to the screenshots.

so do PS4 and xbox one play the same framerate now? does xbox one still have a framerate advantage in terms of gameplay (not cut scenes, which used to run better on PS4 bizarrely)

MY GOD!

That pop-in!

Its horrendous. Its actually worse than the framerate drops. I would take a lower FPS over that. Completely distracts from the gameplay.

Well damn. I don't have that issue on X1. At least not on mine. But that really sucks. :(

Yup, its so annoying as I really dont want to rush in a menu but at the same time, I dont want to leave my PS4 on 100% fan usage.

People who have contacted Ubisoft have been told to contact Sony and / or they will send it up to the development people.

I really don't believe its that hard to correct something like this.

Is it possible the Dead Kings DLC has (partly) been included in this update? Due to it's size... 6-7GB sounds like more than bugfixing.

Crossing Eden

Vire

So... I played a bit of the updated game last night and I'm still pretty annoyed that the framerate chugs in certain areas still. For whatever reason, the north-eastern part of the map is just as bad as it was before and it really kills the my enjoyment of the game.

Combine it with the fact that the load times are absurdly long and I'm just not feeling this game at all. The game constantly takes you out of the experience with uninteresting cutscenes and lengthy load times that consistently break up the action. Why is everyone so angry in this game? Ever since the beginning of Sequence 4, Arno has magically transformed into a one-dimensional character who seeks little more than vengeance. There is little, if any levity at all anywhere to be seen... it's like no fun allowed zone.

I feel like I'm forcing myself to play it since I paid for it, but this game is just really tedious.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This game is like this year's Battlefield 4.

Not really, Battlefield was a good broken game.

It is quite a pretty game. Prettiest open world game yet.

Infamous is much nicer imo, the fact that it's running about 20fps higher in full 1080p doesn't hurt either. I did really like the scale of objects in ACU though, it's something I'd like to see more of.

Mononoke

Banned
This game is like this year's Battlefield 4.

As much as this game has problems, I think Halo MCC is this year's Battlefield. It has a lot more problems, and doesn't seem like there is an end in sight. I guess Halo MCC has single player campaign that works for some of the games (although people were having save issues, and lost data).

But the MP is a major component to that series, and so many people are left with something that doesn't work. It's a goddamn mess. Unity is crap, no doubt. But if you really wanted to play, you could play it and beat it. It wouldn't be a great experience, but it still functions.

EDIT: Well Ubisoft's behavior was unacceptable. Them not allowing people to review the game until 9 hours after release was a joke. So I guess Ubisoft should get more flak. They KNEW this shit was broken, and still released it anyways. And actually took steps to trick customers. That is really fuckin scummy.

It is quite a pretty game. Prettiest open world game yet.

Yeah it really is a stunning looking world, best busy (pedestrian wise) open world city IMO. GTA V pedestrian wise looks quite sparse in comparison after unity - though thats an unfair comparison since GTA is a port of a prior gen game and supports all kinds of other aspects like vehicles, flying, open countryside, water/underwater etc

GTA V was delayed and I think if Unity could have had a similar amount of time delayed to polish and finish the game and its engine, it could have been a huge success.Given the free DLC / game deal I imagine Ubisoft had no idea it would blow up into such a big PR disaster. I'm also concerned this affects the next AC set in london given it uses the same engine. From impressions here it doesnt sound like they really improved things dramatically since launch.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah it really is a stunning looking world, best busy (pedestrian wise) open world city IMO. GTA V pedestrian wise looks quite sparse in comparison after unity - though thats an unfair comparison since GTA is a port of a prior gen game and supports all kinds of other aspects like vehicles, flying, open countryside, water/underwater etc

GTA V was delayed and I think if Unity could have had a similar amount of time delayed to polish and finish the game and its engine, it could have been a huge success.Given the free DLC / game deal I imagine Ubisoft had no idea it would blow up into such a big PR disaster. I'm also concerned this affects the next AC set in london given it uses the same engine. From impressions here it doesnt sound like they really improved things dramatically since launch.

My issue though is that, the NPC's look really ugly. Like texture wise it's night and day difference from main character models. And like okay, you can't expect background NPCs to have the same attention to detail. But it's a HUGE difference.

And when you pair that with NPC's looking stiff and wooden, and often not knowing what to do. Also the pop in/glitches. It kind of takes me out of the immersion. So GTA V on PS4 might not have as many NPCs. But the NPCs are a lot better looking, they actually have more immersive behavior. So I kind of fail to see the point of having X amount of NPCs, no matter how impressive on paper, it's not really worth it. I would have preferred far less crowds with better textures, tighter behavior patterns, and less of a hit on FPS.

Crossing Eden

Fuccckk. Really? Why don't they just give us an option for locked/unlocked
Drops would be even more more noticeable probably. Kinda like when using the neon special move in Infamous SS with a lot of objects around.

Not really, Battlefield was a good broken game.

Infamous is much nicer imo, the fact that it's running about 20fps higher in full 1080p doesn't hurt either. I did really like the scale of objects in ACU though, it's something I'd like to see more of.
So is this game, the gameplay is really good a step in the right direction for the series after the whole America thing. There were moments when my roommate would think I was watching a tv show while I was playing AC:Unity, particularly whenever Elise was on screen, that never happened when I played Infamous. The IQ in Infamous looks nice but I don't think it matches Unity from a pure graphical standpoint. At least not when it comes to character models.

Mononoke

Banned
Might be worth to make a new thread about this, with a "rumor" tag. Maybe it'll catch DF's attention and they'll revisit this for further analysis.

Yeah this is the first time I've heard about this. WTF

if it turns out that they purposely limited the PS4 performance with the Day 1 patch, and so the shitty FPS is a result of parity, that would be insane. We already knew they were doing that with the resolution. But this would be HUGE.

Crossing Eden

Yeah this is the first time I've heard about this. WTF

if it turns out that they purposely limited the PS4 performance with the Day 1 patch, and so the shitty FPS is a result of parity, that would be insane. We already knew they were doing that with the resolution. But this would be HUGE.
It's noted by the poster of that video that hitting the higher fps only happens when climbing towers while the game doesn't perform well while running on the ground.

Mononoke

Banned
It's noted by the poster of that video that hitting the higher fps only happens when climbing towers while the game doesn't perform well while running on the ground.

Ah okay. So without the patch it could hit up to 60 FPS but it wasn't the norm. Basically the FPS ublocked just went all over the place before the patch. Nmmm.

Crossing Eden

Ah okay. So without the patch it could hit up to 60 FPS but it wasn't the norm. Basically the FPS ublocked just went all over the place before the patch. Nmmm.
Yes, basically like what happened during the e3 demo. The last thing we need is another misunderstanding. >.>

chadskin

He did say the game in general runs smoother without the day 1 patch than with, that's also something I haven't heard before.

And that's because DF did their analysis WITH the day 1 patch:

we can confirm that both performance analysis tests on this page were carried out with the day one patch installed but with both consoles running offline.

I'd still be interested in a comparison with and without the day 1 patch.

Mononoke

Banned
He did say the game in general runs smoother without the day 1 patch than with, that's also something I haven't heard before.

And that's because DF did their analysis WITH the day 1 patch:

I'd still be interested in a comparison with and without the day 1 patch.

If it's true that the game runs smoother overall without the patch, what a fuckin mess. That said, no way to test that out? Console owners can't play without the patch or roll back patches :/

jackdoe

If it was pretty much framerate unlocked before the day 1 patch, then it sounds like the PS4 version was extremely low on their priority list. Hell, if they went gold with the game in that state, it really sounds like they just didn't give a damn. Which would definitely explain why the game was such a freaking mess compared to the Xbox One version after that day one patch. The version was so far behind the Xbox One version that they needed more crunch time to bring it back up to snuff. Like say, at least one month.

Vire

Wait, she's an in game character?

Holy shit. If only the game wasn't such a technical disaster. If only.

Sigh.

If only the game was actually fun to play and had a enjoyable story. If only.

It really isn't just the technical limitations that are holding this game back.

Cuyejo

If it was pretty much framerate unlocked before the day 1 patch, then it sounds like the PS4 version was extremely low on their priority list. Hell, if they went gold with the game in that state, it really sounds like they just didn't give a damn. Which would definitely explain why the game was such a freaking mess compared to the Xbox One version after that day one patch. The version was so far behind the Xbox One version that they needed more crunch time to bring it back up to snuff. Like say, at least one month.

Yeah, there's no doubt the Xbone was the lead console in the development of this game.

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah that's why I got it on X1 over ps4. But it never made sense to me how X1 had better performance. Some said the Creed engine is CPU intensive and X1s overclocked CPU made the difference.

But If this was a case of them putting priority over the other and making one worse than it should have...fuck that so much. I already regret buying this after the shit they pulled with review embargoes and rushing this out at the expense of customers. But I would feel sick supporting the X1 version if this was true.

Sigh.

chadskin

If it's true that the game runs smoother overall without the patch, what a fuckin mess. That said, no way to test that out? Console owners can't play without the patch or roll back patches :/

Well, you can certainly delete all the ACU content from the HDD, unplug it from the internet and just reinstall the game from disc. That should definitely work.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, you can certainly delete all the ACU content from the HDD, unplug it from the internet and just reinstall the game from disc. That should definitely work.

Oh yeah? Interesting. I have the digital version or I would do this. Some gamer needs to do this ASAP and chronicle it. If it does run better without the patch overall, ubisoft needs to be put on blast for this.

martino

it's easy to go 60 fps (looking the ground, face a corner) in situation where there is pretty much nothing or nothing happen (more or less)
basicaly what he said....it's irrelevant thougth cause far from vast majority of gameplay situation (expecially in this game)

Vire

Is it really that unfun? I thought most complaints were technical and heard they improved the parkouring stuff

I explained why I really wasn't having much fun in the game here, but I'll elaborate a bit.

The stop and start pacing and rushed character development certainly don't help the game's flow, but it goes beyond that. Not only is the actual story paper thin in terms of plot, but in past (and the best) Assassin's Creed games, they weren't afraid to have a little levity along the way. This game starts out well enough... with the first three acts or so having a similar tone and style to Assassin's Creed 2, but after a key moment in the game - Arno turns into an insufferable ultra self serious character with little emotion and feelings beyond "THEY MUST DIE".

While the general feeling of parkour I think has been improved (the controlled descent being a nice addition for sure), animations tend to be incredibly hitchy in ways that were not present in past Assassin's games. Similarly, Paris while beautiful, after a while also tends to feel very monotonous. I think the orange burnt sunlight that so frequently appears in the game just tends to make everything else look the same.

I also don't particularly like the progression of gear compared to previous entries. For most of the first half of the game, it shows you all the incredible gear you can't have and tries to tempt you to use micro transactions to get them.

But if I had to really pinpoint the thing that bothers me most about the game, I really think the story is incredibly uninteresting and the host of technical issues definitely detract greatly from the experience.

Mononoke

Banned
it's easy to go 60 fps (looking the ground, face a corner) in situation where there is pretty much nothing or nothing happen (more or less)
basicaly what he said....it's irrelevant thougth cause far from vast majority of gameplay situation (expecially in this game)

Yeah. But if it's true that the game overall runs smoother without the patch (even if it doesn't hit 60)...that's really fucked. I have no idea if that is true. But if it is.

Someone with the disc version should test this out.

I also don't particularly like the progression of gear compared to previous entries. For most of the first half of the game, it shows you all the incredible gear you can't have and tries to tempt you to use micro transactions to get them.

But if I had to really pinpoint the thing that bothers me most about the game, I really think the story is incredibly uninteresting and the host of technical issues definitely detract greatly from the experience.

Man those last 2 paragraphs just killed it for me.

Microtransactions? Really? The only ones I can remember for Black Flag were ship supplies, which I never felt were needed as I racked up quite a bit by just playing the game. My ship is already almost maxed

Wait, she's an in game character?

Holy shit. If only the game wasn't such a technical disaster. If only.

Sigh.

If they were given the time to finish and polish the engine/game, it would be my GOTY I think. Its the best AC by far IMO (though I didnt consider any of the prior game sequels exceptional, ACIV I liked best but it was shallow though pretty) and it looks fantastic. I would give DAI my GOTY most likely with SO close second BTW.

the fact that PS4 version launched at same resolution as xbox one but ran significantly worse is very suspicious to me give the how hard Microsoft pushed the xbox one AC bundle and pricing at all major retailers due BF week, the target deal being $329 with free $50 gift card + 2 games being ridiculously good price - count the $50 card and thats even cheaper than a Wii U AND gives you 2 games.

They could have at least done what DAI did which is higher res on PS4, but runs better on xbox one at lower (900p I think),

I tend to think of the issues simply that they underestimated their times and management wouldnt given them extra time due to wanting hit the holiday season (and also not push back upcoming AC's given they are yearly), but yeah its quite suspcious to me given the ridiculous deals for the bundle

Crossing Eden

Um what? The game never shows you microtransactions, you have to click a button within one of the menus to access them. And you can buy a ton of the top level gear after one four or five star heist mission. And a shit ton of the locked gear is locked behind co-op missions, (that can be played solo for those reading.), not microtransactions.

Man those last 2 paragraphs just killed it for me.

Microtransactions? Really? The only ones I can remember for Black Flag were ship supplies, which I never felt were needed as I racked up quite a bit by just playing the game. My ship is already almost maxed
That part about microtransactions is bull, the game gives you more than enough in-game money to buy everything naturally, or you can just play the heist mission for the painting and get 68K to give yourself a huge advantage. Or upgrade the cafe theater to get 40K of income every twenty minutes. It's easier to upgrade Arno than it is to upgrade the jackdaw.

martino

Yeah. But if it's true that the game overall runs smoother without the patch (even if it doesn't hit 60)...that's really fucked. I have no idea if that is true. But if it is.

Someone with the disc version should test this out.

he also put console offline.
This probably make a difference at launch (maybe less now)

Vire

Um what? The game never shows you microtransactions, you have to click a button within one of the menus to access them. And you can buy a ton of the top level gear after one four or five star heist mission. And a shit ton of the locked gear is locked behind co-op missions, (that can be played solo for those reading.), not microtransactions.

That part about microtransactions is bull, the game gives you more than enough in-game money to buy everything naturally, or you can just play the heist mission for the painting and get 68K to give yourself a huge advantage.

How does it not show you micro transactions? When you highlight over any equipment piece in the game it very clearly says "HACK" right underneath the purchasing options to pay for micro transactions.

I found myself frequently frustrated that I couldn't look like the character I wanted to be because the game would either lock it behind some late game mission progression, a co-op mission or some absolutely ridiculous in game currency price point. But don't worry Vire, you can pay the cool price of 2.99 to get that masquerade mask you wanted with the feather cap.

I just think it's a poor design decision to show you all the best gear in the game from the moment you turn it on, because you are constantly thinking in your head while running around town. "I wish I looked like this or could get that". It's the equivalent of a JRPG showing you the best and coolest gear in the game in the menu screen from the moment you start playing and saying, well you can use that now if you just pay.

In past Assassin's Creed games, the best options and gear where hidden from you and when you got them - you got them. There wasn't a constant feeling of pressure to upgrade since you didn't know what you were missing out on.

Mononoke

Banned
he also put console offline.
This probably make a difference at launch (maybe less now)

I heard the PS4 had issues with the online Uplay mucking things up. I guess that was true for X1 as well? Sigh.

I was just standing still and noticed NPCs running like crazy in circles and then randomly NPCs were floating and moving across the screen at super speeds. Was like 40 of them. What the fuck. This game lol

Top Bottom