• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Patch 4 is now rolling out

_machine

so it the xbone patch issue a ubisoft issue or ms one? i recall mcc having a similar issue for preloads?
Probably something really, really weird on both ends. I'm actually not quite sure if developers get to test the final patch installation on retail/live service which is why these things can slip through the cracks. You have to remember that the patch did pass through MS TRC/QA and was released by them.

I like the NPC walking up high, and insta-drops down onto the street.

Why aren't you saying the same thing in the Dragon Age Inquisition thread? NPC's float in the air, go through walls and your party even vanishes for a few seconds before they reappear again while traversing the world.

This shit happens in these kind of games. Some of you guys are just shitting on Ubisoft because you want to be part of this whole GAF bash train. All of a sudden you are not 'cool' if you believe the glitches are something you just have to deal with.

Performance, on the other hand, needs to be fixed. That is the #1 priority for every game.

Mononoke

Banned
Why aren't you saying the same thing in the Dragon Age Inquisition thread? NPC's float in the air, go through walls and your party even vanishes for a few seconds before they reappear again while traversing the world.

This shit happens in these kind of games. Some of you guys are just shitting on Ubisoft because you want to be part of this whole GAF bash train. All of a sudden you are not 'cool' if you believe the glitches are something you just have to deal with.

Performance, on the other hand, needs to be fixed. That is the #1 priority for every game.

Well, Inquisition doesn't have the NPCs flooding the levels to excess. Also they put so much focus on the NPCs in AC, and the NPCs generally don't do anything, and don't know what they are doing.

Plus, you can't compare the games 1:1. In AC, a big part of the gameplay is blending in with the crowds. So NPCs matter a lot more. Whereas in other games like Inquisition, I guess they are just background. I get where you are coming from, but I still think NPCs are botched in this game. And I don't really think they should get a free pass just because other titles have glitches with NPCs. I just think, with all the boasting about NPCs (and the possible hit they take on performance), the NPCs are not worth it in this game. They look hideous (their texture), they walk around in odd patterns and don't know what they are doing. They look very stiff.

It's supposed to be for immersion. But they actually look so stiff, it takes me out of the game TBH. And just the sheer amount of NPC's, it makes the glitches even more distracting. I wouldn't be as arsed about it, if so much of AC didn't require you to blend in with the crowds etc. It becomes more of a problem here IMO.

Mononoke

Banned
Does it run any better on xbox?

I'm really tired, and only played briefly. But IMO the game has less FPS drops and jutters. Maybe someone else can confirm?

I know the PS4 patch supposedly smoothed it out a bit. So since its the same patch, I think it's fair to say it probably did. But yeah, walking around crowds and running from building to building had less drops for me. At launch when I ran from roof to roof, and would pan my camera around, it would slow down and fps dips. But I'm not getting that right now. It does feel generally 30 FPS.

EDIT: Hmm...as soon as I hit this once place in the city, it feels like fps dips again running on ceilings. Maybe I spoke too soon?

Protome

On PS4, framerate seems improved but still drops frequently. People still pop in a lot but it no longer seems as prominent when you stare at large crowds (before, watching a large crowd was horrible because you saw people constantly flashing in and out of existence.)

Wow Ubi, not even its a buggy patch for buggy game but also a buggy patching process.
To be fair, the patching process isn't their fault. Haven't some Xbox One games had this problem before?

Mononoke

Banned
Okay XB1.

The Framerate is better in spots. More smooth and stays closer to 30 FPS. But it still has frequent dips and stuttering. Usually it's triggered by large crowds or a body of water. Basically, certain areas in the city seem to trigger this. So you will hit areas in the city that feel a lot better than before. But there will still be areas that feel like pre-patch with dips. I think overall, walking on the ground feels better. It's the traversing from parkour/roof to roof scaling that really has dips in specific areas.

It's a frustrating patch, because it does improves things slightly. But it's still not this massive patch that improves things greatly (at least IMO). Better than before, I guess. I'll play more tomorrow. But that's just my initial impressions.

So to sum it up. Yes there is improvement. In some areas, it's 30 FPS stable. You will notice it. But then as you play the game, you will hit pockets of areas where things fall back to what they were. *shrugs*

Edit: basically there are specific areas that feel more stable and smooth. But you will then hit areas in the city that triggers the pre-patch feeling of dips and stutter. And sadly it doesn't go away. So this patch makes improvements, but not for the entire city.

camac002

Hmm...as soon as I hit this once place in the city, it feels like fps dips again running on ceilings. Maybe I spoke too soon?

Yeah, after trying this for an hour or two, as you move out of the central area (Palais, Dame etc.), performance can be pretty similar to pre-patch which is disappointing. I originally thought they might have got everywhere to be in the 25-30 zone but that's simply not the case. At least the frame rate doesn't absolutely crap itself like it did before anyway.

Well I guess that's it. It's going to be very interesting to see how Victory holds up next year.

Okay XB1.

The Framerate is better in spots. More smooth and stays closer to 30 FPS. But it still has frequent dips and stuttering. Usually it's triggered by large crowds or a body of water. Basically, certain areas in the city seem to trigger this. So you will hit areas in the city that feel a lot better than before. But there will still be areas that feel like before. I think overall, walking on the ground feels better. It's the traversing from the parkour/roof to roof scaling that really has dips in specific areas.

It's a frustrating patch, because it does improves things slightly. But it's still not this massive patch that improves things greatly (at least IMO). Better than before, I guess. I'll play more tomorrow. But that's just my initial impressions.

So to sum it up. Yes there is improvement. In some areas, it's 30 FPS stable. You will notice it. But then as you play the game, you will hit pockets of areas where things fall back to what they were. *shrugs*

Good to know things have at least improved. I got a download code from a friend who bought the bundle, and I've held off for the most part until the thing was serviceable.

Damn at 40 gigs though.

Edit: Thanks for the impressions btw.

Putty

What a farce, my good god! Rather happy I didn't pick this up. I will at some point but it seems many more patches are needed to get this up to scratch.

Mononoke

Banned
Good to know things have at least improved. I got a download code from a friend who bought the bundle, and I've held off for the most part until the thing was serviceable.

Damn at 40 gigs though.

Edit: Thanks for the impressions btw.

No problem. Personally, I don't think i would recommend this yet to someone that is waiting to buy it. In some spots it's improved. But it still has dips frequently enough that I find it distracting. Maybe it's at a place where someone would find it tolerable. I guess I just don't feel comfortable recommending it given that the patch wasn't a complete overhaul or fix.

Basically some spots feel more smooth. Other spots feel like pre-patch. And since you travel around the city, you will hit those patches and areas that will trigger the dips.

Shouldn't they be able to use the additional GPU power on the PS4 for offloading the CPU with GPGPU tasks ? - I mean, that's what the functionality is there for.

Regardless, I'm waiting till I'm sure the game runs fluidly before I'll consider getting it. Other than the fluctuating frame rate, I was really interested in it when they showed it off in the summer.

stryke

Shouldn't they be able to use the additional GPU power on the PS4 for offloading the CPU with GPGPU tasks ? - I mean, that's what the functionality is there for.

Regardless, I'm waiting till I'm sure the game runs fluidly before I'll consider getting it. Other than the fluctuating frame rate, I was really interested in it when they showed it off in the summer.

Because you can't just port anything over to the gpu.

valkyre

Not enough reports in regards to the framerate situation yet. Some people say it is small improvement, others say it is more significant. Really confused here, hope DF makes a video soon.

Heres a webm of the pop in after the patch
http://a.pomf.se/iqfuzc.webm

ignor_by_chabbles-d8a3ukh.gif

omg that is awesome, so the pop in is now a feature of animus - also that guy walking 6ft off an arch all "no cur" style is badass

So it seems that the patch did improve the framerate somewhat, but I still experience some heavy drops now and then. I'm pleased if it weren't for the fact that my game froze up and crashed like 2 minutes ago..

Well, my 40gb X1 patch downloaded. Took hours. My god. X1 downloads are crazy slow. PS4 DL/Updates are always infinitely faster. =/

Anyways, as others have pointed out, the 40gb was us just re-downloading the entire game. So it wasn't more space being taken up. But it's still ridiculous.

The actual act of downloading is fast, installing the files is what is so slow. My Xbox maxes out my connection but WTF is it doing while copying files?

Because you can't just port anything over to the gpu.
True. But the whole point of gpgpu is to lighten the load on the CPU by moving certain tasks over to the gpu (such as physics). Based on how similar the two versions are, there should be potential for a lot of gpgpu stuff. I'd imagine the reason they aren't doing it, is opportunity cost.

Mononoke

Banned
The actual act of downloading is fast, installing the files is what is so slow. My Xbox maxes out my connection but WTF is it doing while copying files?

Hmm I guess I need to pay closer attention. I just know it takes me much longer to DL + Install (I mean overall combined), then ps4. Odd enough my X1 is OPEN NAT and I have great internet. So yeah maybe it's the install time and not DL.

I assumed it was download for me with this. Yesterday I went to update this game and the update was 40gb. It was a glitch and you were reinstalling the entire game on top of installing the patch. So that is prob why I thought it was download. But you are right, I think you only needed to download 6gb it was the installation of the entire game that made it slow.

I spent 5 minutes in game post 40GB patch on Xbox One and found the frame rate difference to be...minimal. Sequence 6 Memory 1 cutscene was a mix of smooth and choppy depending on the camera and characters on screen in the cutscene. Running around is the same thing, yes it's slightly smoother in some spots, it feels the same in others.

I'm willing chalk it up to new engine and tight deadlines but I hope they're next release is better technically

Mononoke

Banned
I spent 5 minutes in game post 40GB patch on Xbox One and found the frame rate difference to be...minimal. Sequence 6 Memory 1 cutscene was a mix of smooth and choppy depending on the camera and characters on screen in the cutscene. Running around is the same thing, yes it's slightly smoother in some spots, it feels the same in others.

I'm willing chalk it up to new engine and tight deadlines but I hope they're next release is better technically

Well, tight deadlines isn't an excuse to push that on to the customer. If the game isn't ready, it isn't ready. =/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I doubt this patch would do anything for cutscenes. They've focused on optimizing gameplay portions, which were the weaker spots on PS4. Cutscenes are seemingly GPU bottlenecked on both versions, and thus always ran smoother on PS4. I doubt they could do much about that without downgrading them.

Mononoke

Banned
So, as confirmed earlier, this patch doesnt resolve the PS4 100% fan usage in menus bug then.

Still, the frame rate is a lot better.

Well at least on X1, it def smoothens out certain areas. Like the FPS is noticeably better. But as I said in the other thread, the problem is there is certain areas in the city that trigger that pre-patch performance. Where things dip substantially and jutter.

The problem is, this is an open world game, where you will traverse large distances. So you are bound to eventually hit these pockets of areas that make your FPS dip and jutter. So you are almost guaranteed to still experience the shoddy performance.

But when you do get to areas where it's 30 FPS stable, it's a big difference.

I still think walking on the ground, has improved overall though. It's just the traversing and Parkour that is still a mess when you get to certain parts of the city. When I first booted up the game post-patch, the first 10 min were really smooth. And I was like okay, this is the real deal. But as soon as I hit certain areas in the city, things were back to normal. :( The good thing is, that smooth locked 30 is still there when you are in certain areas. So it's def an improvement in that sense.

At least, for X1.

Mononoke

Banned
Ohh lawd. Not sure how people can defend this game...even if the story pans out for them subjectively.

You really can't defend this game. It was rushed, shipped out when it wasn't ready. Even the most ardent Creed fans that love the story and love the mission types, this is NOT the experience they deserve, or the experience you've come to expect.

You're clearly less jolly dammit.

lol if he gives me the PSD for that exact same Santa hat, I'll put it on my avatar for lols

I'm really hoping that they take this as a lesson and not push Victory out next year. It will probably push another 2 or 3 AC games back in their timeline, but they really need to take the proper time to finish and polish these games.

Image quality is the same on PS4 after the patch right, same 900p as xbox (as at launch)

Yes. They never said they were adjusting the resolution.

Top Bottom