• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Patch 4 is now rolling out

dcx4610

Grabbed the $29.99 deal.

Gorgeous game so far. Some of the best lighting I've ever seen in a game and definitely the best hair.

I'm not huge on the French setting but it definitely feels like a throwback to Assassin's Creed II with the huge buildings to scale and trying to find a way to do it which is definite plus.

I wish they would tone down the Spider-man climbing but it's still fun.

good lord that pop-in on the previous page looks absolutely ridiculous, even last gen i didn't see pop-in that bad. hell, that wasn't common even in the PS1 days, characters popping RIGHT in front of you as you run.. just wow.

i'm confused, how did that pass QA? the previous games didn't have pop-in nearly that bad. wtf Ubi? the solution is so simple too.. just cut down on the number of NPCs a little bit.

Anth0ny

You can see when the npc's pop-in in that gif, how ubi programmed some little visual effect as they materialize, like they anticipated the pop in, and tried to make it look cool.

ibuukpeukuth7ns0seu.gif

how long until they come out and say "It's not pop in, that's a part of the game!"

malfcn

I like the NPC walking up high, and insta-drops down onto the street.

You can see when the npc's pop-in in that gif, how ubi programmed some little visual effect as they materialize, like they anticipated the pop in, and tried to make it look cool.
how long until they come out and say "It's not pop in, that's a part of the game!"[/QUOTE]

Blame Abstergo Entertainment and the Animus technology.

What pisses me the most is that someone at Ubisoft thought that to download that ridiculous 40gb update I need to insert that useless piece of plastic on my console and start the game.
Why it doesn't update automatically?!

Already finished Unity, wish i could get a refund although I got it for free.

First game I decided to pre order digitally, and greatly regret. I tried to get a refund when I saw other people successful, but I was told I played too much of the game(around 5-6 hours) :(

Cidd

First game I decided to pre order digitally, and greatly regret. I tried to get a refund when I saw other people successful, but I was told I played too much of the game(around 5-6 hours) :(

Well that sucks, The only reason I even played it is because I got the Xbox One AC: Unity bundle. Don't think I'll ever play another Assassin's Creed again.

Zophar

This is the way the XBox One handles patching. You're downloading large packet files that had modifications done to them which in this case is pretty much everything. The PS4 just downloads the data that has been changed.

The XB1 not having delta patching is the most baffling oversight.

The XB1 not having delta patching is the most baffling oversight.

Xbox One usually does have delta patching from what I've seen. The problem might be with the update that Ubi submitted.

Updates for other games have never been as large as the actual game. At least not for the games I've purchased.

sdornan

So I just bought the Xbone Unity bundle. Does this mean I'm going to have to download both the full version 1.0 game and then the 40GB patch?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Came here looking for answers for the fucking rediculous 40GB x1 Unity patch. I'm guessing we have none? Is it the wrong patch? Does it actually fix anything (to those on X1's who have it installed)?

RedSwirl

What pisses me the most is that someone at Ubisoft thought that to download that ridiculous 40gb update I need to insert that useless piece of plastic on my console and start the game.
Why it doesn't update automatically?!

Is this final proof the retail model for some console games is collapsing?

So I just bought the Xbone Unity bundle. Does this mean I'm going to have to download both the full version 1.0 game and then the 40GB patch?

I doubt it. If its true that this game doesn't do delta patching on Xbox One, you'll likely download the game with Patch 4 included.

Zophar

Xbox One usually does have delta patching from what I've seen. The problem might be with the update that Ubi submitted.

Updates for other games have never been as large as the actual game. At least not for the games I've purchased.

Delta patching would mean they only have to change the lines of code altered instead of the entire files. If the XB1 has to replace entire files and if this is an extensive patch it would explain why it has 40GB patches.

Delta patching would mean they only have to change the lines of code altered instead of the entire files. If the XB1 has to replace entire files and if this is an extensive patch it would explain why it has 40GB patches.

Hmm, I see what you're getting at.

Halo MCC's patches have never been this big, but they could just be updating small chunks of the data at a time.

If this 40GB patch isn't a mistake, Ubi must have reworked almost the entire game with this one.

Larogue

I've had dozens of game updates on Xbox One, never ever had an update that's as large as the game itself. Something must be wrong here.

Is it just the clouds going across the sun or did they add dynamic day/night cycle? I went into a building tracking down a chest and came back out and it seems like it got darker.

EDIT: It was the clouds.

Hahahahaha! I literally had one mission left until I beat the game and now the patch is 40GB (Xbox One version)? That is nearly the size of the full game!

I have slow internet but unlimited downloads, but damn this will take several days to download.

Oh well I can play through MGS: Ground Zeroes for a bit while I wait.

Elios83

So are the PS4 and XB1 versions about on par with each other now or does XB1 still run better?

Too early to tell at this point, we don't even have reports about the effects of the patch on the Xbox One version because of the 40GB download :D

ctfg23

Too early to tell at this point, we don't even have reports about the effects of the patch on the Xbox One version because of the 40GB download :D

Damn, didn't even think about how most people's downloads probably aren't even close to done. Hopefully DF has a comparison within a few days.

Ubisoft has running their own brand with such business practices. They really need to take a note from Nintendo. Stop releasing your game in the Alphas stages Ubisoft!

malfcn

About an hour in for me and I have 3.5GB done. It's going to be a long night. Hope it continues when I switch to another disc game.

TKM

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-188856-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Update 12/16, 5:15pm PST:

We have received and confirmed reports that some Xbox One players who have previously applied Patch 3 are seeing a 40GB download instead of the expected 6.7GB download. Unfortunately, an issue with the patch downloading process is replacing the entire game instead of just the parts affected by the patch. This is obviously not the expected behavior, and we apologize that many of you will have to wait longer than expected to complete this download. This issue isn’t causing any other problems and once the download is completed players will have the most-up-to-date and fully patched version of Assassin’s Creed Unity.

We are working with Microsoft on a solution to reduce the total download to the intended size so that you can get back into the game faster, but as of now we have no ETA on when this will be resolved.

Not supposed to be 40GB. Wonder what went wrong.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Aces&Eights

Ugh, still got ridiculous pop in. Why can't they just swallow their darn pride and have a plague wipe out a third of the population? I would take 33% less people in the world for a solid 30fps. Running down the street and seeing not only avatars pop in but their clothes change like 3 times.

I have been a faithful AC buyer since the first one. However, it seems that pride really does come before the fall. Rather than make an smooth running game with minimal hitches and bugs, they put out a "look at all the people we can draw!" game and sacrifice gameplay for spectacle. This is not next gen. This is Power Point 2.0

Mononoke

Banned
Well, my 40gb X1 patch downloaded. Took hours. My god. X1 downloads are crazy slow. PS4 DL/Updates are always infinitely faster. =/

Anyways, as others have pointed out, the 40gb was us just re-downloading the entire game. So it wasn't more space being taken up. But it's still ridiculous.

Top Bottom