• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 1-3 being re-released on 3DS in Japan

That doesn't make sense either. If that's the case, then a lot of animations would be missing those "key frames" you mentioned.

I think that the people who did the HD Trilogy were simply lazy. I mean, given the overall quality of the port, it's not a rash assumption to make.
I'm not making excuses for them, just trying to figure out how it could have happened.

Grief.exe

Just grab the DS versions then?

Well, shit.

fYDPmmO.png

Grief.exe

What is the best Ace Attorney game? Should I just start with the first one to see if I like it? Or is it ok to skip to the objectively best iteration?

ohlawd

What is the best Ace Attorney game? Should I just start with the first one to see if I like it? Or is it ok to skip to the objectively best iteration?

NO, NO, NO. It's not OK and it will never be.

You play them all. In order. If you like the first one, you'll like the rest. If you don't, humanity is doomed.

Grief.exe

The best one is commonly stated to be AA3. It would be the worst idea I could ever think of concerning this series to start with AA3.

NO, NO, NO. It's not OK and it will never be.

You play them all. In order. If you like the first one, you'll like the rest. If you don't, humanity is doomed.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll start out with AA1.

AA5 is rated M? That's crazy.

Crisium

Trials and Tribulations (3) is considered the best, but part of its plot is a prequel to the first game. You'd lose a lot of the charm skipping right to it. Plus the first game has Case 1-5, which is basically another game in itself (it's the longest case in the series by far, and has unique DS features from Apollo Justice).

So it'd be best to start from the beginning, I think.

AA5 is rated M? That's crazy.

Ha, I love how the GAF spoiler thread for the game is titled "Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies SPOILER thread | So THAT'S why it's rated M". Everyone who plays the game probably mutters that to themselves. Consider that incentive to play the whole series. ;)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Skipping titles is not an option. They build upon each other in significant ways.

Some people will say that you can skip to AA5. Don't listen to them. They're wrong.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Skipping titles is not an option. They build upon each other in significant ways.

Some people will say that you can skip to AA5. Don't listen to them. They're wrong.

I enjoyed some parts of AA5 a lot more primarily because it touches on some things from past games.

Timeless

I enjoyed some parts of AA5 a lot more primarily because it touches on some things from past games.
It makes me irrationally angry when people play games out of order. Objectively I think you'd get around
80%
of the possible enjoyment from AA5 if you started there. If you played only AA4 before AA5, that would go to
90%
. I love each game in the series and think it's a great idea to play them in order.

Even though I still have my DS copies, I might still get this if it were brought over. Been thinking of doing a replay anyway before I dive into Dual Destinies. (Of course I still have to finish AJ and AAI as well.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It makes me irrationally angry when people play games out of order. Objectively I think you'd get around
80%
of the possible enjoyment from AA5 if you started there. If you played only AA4 before AA5, that would go to
90%
. I love each game in the series and think it's a great idea to play them in order.

Not irrational at all, as far as I'm concerned. It's objectively a poor decision to play them out of order.

Sakujou

Banned
-miles edgeworth investigations 2
-ace attorney vs. layton
-ace attorney 5

why do you not release this games as cartridges in the west?

i feel so bad :(

zigg

When this news originally hit I kinda half-thought "this will be great because this will succeed and eventually I might get all the AA games on my 3DS, and maybe they'll even bring AAI2 as part of it!"

Now I'm just gonna go back to my DS cards for AA1-4 replays like I was thinking of a few days ago when I originally finished AA5.

It's bullshit for sure. The reason is that Capcom isn't publishing AA v. Layton, so their penny-pinching, market-testing lunacy isn't tainting its release.

And we can be thankful for that. Still, I think AA5 coming over first has really dampened my excitement for AA vs Layton.

I imagine Dual Destinies was successful enough for Capcom that we should be able to see a localization for $30 (especially when the real work is all finished).

Cody_D165

Banned
agh even knowing it's based off the iOS port I still kinda like the screenshots I'm seeing. I remain hopeful that the glaring issues from that port will be fixed in this one.

and even more hopeful that Capcom might release this over here >_>

DaBoss

The fact it has English in the Japanese version pretty much means that a western release is likely. But the trailer did not give me confidence in them fixing the issues in the iOS version. :(

Clipse

How do the Ace Attorney games look while being played on a 3DS XL in full screen mode? Is there a big difference in picture quality compared to playing it on a DSi XL?

Drago

I highly, highly doubt that the music issues won't be fixed. I would be downright amazed if they weren't. It was such a glaring issue (probably THE biggest issue) that I think it impossible to go unfixed, especially something as simple as changing the songs from GBA to DS. Then again, I guess this is Capcom. Who knows.

The game is only 85% complete, right? Hopefully the last 15% is putting the missing frames back in ;p

Why would they take out Pearl's theme in the first place? What an odd thing to omit. It'd be bizarre if that transferred over to this collection.

How do the Ace Attorney games look while being played on a 3DS XL in full screen mode? Is there a big difference in picture quality compared to playing it on a DSi XL?

I'm sure there'd be. Playing DS games using full screen mode is terrible.

I never had a DSi XL so I can't compare, but I just finished a playthrough of Trials and Tribulations on my 3DS XL in fullscreen and I thought it looked fine.

That said, I'm not as much of a stickler on these things as some people are.

Frolow

Banned
Some more screens a C-R member scrounged up; not full res, but still a better view (plus a look at investigation mode).
Looks significantly better than the iOS version for some reason. Maybe it's just because of the lower resolution of the 3DS.

I played through the whole series on an XL, with the original aspect ratio setting turned on, and it looked fine.

Timeless

I played through the whole series on an XL, with the original aspect ratio setting turned on, and it looked fine.
I usually play all games at their original size, with integer scaling. It's not the end of the world to play at original pixel size. (Although I haven't actually tried it on 3DS.)

Even if this port doesn't turn out to be the definitive version, I'm still definitely gonna pick it up to support the series. (Barring any huge issues.)

Even if this port doesn't turn out to be the definitive version, I'm still definitely gonna pick it up to support the series. (Barring any huge issues.)

Same here. I haven't played the original 3 in so long. This thread just pushed me to finally buy AA5. I'd been putting it off because I still haven't even beat Layton and the Miracle Mask, and my brother plays the Ace Attorney games too, so we were hoping for it to come out retail. I guess I'm just gonna have to use his 3DS for a week or so after I beat it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't read the whole thread, but what are the chances of this coming to the west? (eu)

zigg

slim i'm guessing. probably redundant with the iOS ports out
Don't see why that'd stop 'em.

I tried the iOS port because my daughter swiped my copy of AA. I can't bear the text speed. And did case 2 start with music during Mia and Maya's phone conversation?

Top Bottom