• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5 Confirmed for the West

So when does this game take place? because I thought
that Phoenix Wright wasn't a lawyer anymore. I never did play Apollo Justice, but I thought there was some reason he wasn't one anymore in that game...

you should check that out. Or read up a wiki (don't)

Snakeyes

I guess this hasn't been posted yet?

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...t-leads-discuss-story-elements-new-characters

Phoenix Wright may have officially quit the lawyering business in the Ace Attorney game, but by the end of the game, there were certainly more than a few hints that he was coming back.

"I think players are wondering what happened to Phoenix afterward," said Capcom's Takeshi Yamazaki to Famitsu magazine, "and I think it's important that we depict what happened after Apollo Justice.

"The Phoenix you saw in that game was 33 years old, and this game takes place a year afterward — he's back as a lawyer, and he brings a much more mature facade to his work. His design in the game tries to reflect this growth; he's got a vest on, he's unbuttoned his jacket, and overall he looks like he's a lot more comfortable up there."

Yamazaki is the story director on the new Ace Attorney 3DS game, the first details of which were announced in this week's Famitsu. He takes the place of Shu Takumi, chief writer for the series up to now. As producer Motohide Eshiro explained, Takumi is too busy right now leading up the Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton project.

Among the things Yamazaki and Eshiro discussed in their interview with Famitsu this week:

Phoenix's first case in the new Ace Attorney involves defending a sweet-looking little girl against accusations she set off a bomb that destroyed the courtroom where previous games have taken place. His first opposing prosecutor, the younger brother of Winston Payne: the punching bag that players have fought (and usually beaten soundly) in the first chapter of previous titles.

"He's a little bit more villainous than his brother," Yamazaki said, "the sort of guy who isn't afraid of using dirty tactics. Sort of a 'dark Payne,' in other words. The theme of this story overall is 'dark days in law'. Phoenix was talking about this in Apollo Justice a bit, along the lines of 'Dark days are coming for law, and we have to do something to fix it.' Partly because of that, this game begins with a courtroom bombing, to sort of symbolize that."

Instead of airheaded New Age channeler Maya Fey, Phoenix is assisted in this game by a new girl, clad in yellow, that hasn't been named publicly yet. What happened to Maya?

"Well, he she might be back at her home village for more training," Yamazaki laughed. "This new girl is certainly a key part of the story, but designing her was a pretty rough process. She looked almost alien-like at first, which was partly due to the fact that her background was a lot different than it is today. Yellow was always her theme color, though — she really has a drive to win, so in that respect she's a fair bit different than Maya."

Any other characters from previous games set to appear? "Well, the world setting is the same as the other Ace Attorney games," Eshiro noted, "so without going into detail on whether anyone appears or doesn't appear, I will say that the story is set in a world where they all exist."

Perhaps the largest shift from previous Ace Attorney games is that this title features full 3D graphics, allowing for the courtroom to be portrayed from any camera angle. The characters are fully 3D, too, although Yamazaki took pains to state that they will retain their 2D "touch."

"Part of the visual appeal of Ace Attorney stems from the fact that it's in 2D, after all," he explained. "We were limited in how many animation frames we could put in the first few games, so at first there were maybe only one or two variations on the 'Objection!' word balloon. That wound up giving the game this sense of speed and sharpness that we couldn't have gotten otherwise. To recreate that feel in 3D, we're deliberately messing with the pace, inserting pauses and skipping over other things. With 2D we played around with perspectives — drawing Phoenix's hand larger than usual when he's pointing at someone — and we're taking measures to recreate that sort of thing in 3D."

More details on the game, including Phoenix's assistant and a new gameplay system that gives him the ability to gauge witness's emotions in new ways, will be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show in a couple weeks.

"The overall plot is pretty much set in stone," Eshiro said, "and it looks like it'll be about as long as previous games. It's not too long, and it's not too short, I don't think. We're going to have a demo version at TGS that should pretty well encapsulate all of the fun new stuff we're trying out — it runs about 15 minutes, and I think it's really well put together."

PK Gaming

ok.

So Phoenix is back, check. Now we just need Edgeworth to come back as his rival for 2-3 cases. I am so not Edgeworth fanboy, but for a game that's entire premise is 'Phoenix is BACK' his old rival needs to appear too. Not via cameo, but a real honest to god appearance.

1-ani-edgeworth-sup-wit-dat.gif

I NEED TO SEE THIS IN 3D!!!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't see why people say to skip the second game. 2-2 and 2-4 are both very important cases. Yes I know the circus case sucks, but that's not enough of a reason to skip it.

Hmm, so it does take place after Apollo Justice. I guess they aren't retconning him out then. Perhaps a chance for character development? ... Doubtful.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The way they did these 3D models, they may actually be harder to make than the sprites.

Also what does this say?:
img_system_pict02p.jpg

The new way to gauge witness emotions? Maybe it ties to the new girl's necklace and glove?

Here the necklace is clear/white:
POSVZ.jpg

While here it's blue:
N4rCF.jpg

I could see AAI2 iPad coming if this does really well.

Which, honestly, might be the only way we get it. And I'd be okay with that.

I like the series on the DS family. It feels familiar to me and I like familiarity. But if iPhone/iPad is the option that gets AAI2 here, then bring it on.

I could see AAI2 iPad coming if this does really well.

Which, honestly, might be the only way we get it. And I'd be okay with that.

I like the series on the DS family. It feels familiar to me and I like familiarity. But if iPhone/iPad is the option that gets AAI2 here, then bring it on.
I agree. While I'd still love to get AAI2 on the DS/3DS, I'll take it any way I can get it.

A Capcom rep did say at PAX that they'd like to get the whole series on iOS since it transitions so well.

Jawmuncher

I'm playing through the entire series now and this comes as great news.
However I was wondering how would I be able to play Investigations 2?
I know that wasn't brought to the US, i'm assuming there might be a fan translation or does the games Asian version or something have english in it?

(I ask becuase I imported PWAC3 since it had the english in it, and was cheaper than a regular english copy)

LiK

I know that wasn't brought to the US, i'm assuming there might be a fan translation or does the games Asian version or something have english in it?

(I ask becuase I imported PWAC3 since it had the english in it, and was cheaper than a regular english copy)

There is an AAI2 fan translation in progress but not the same IMO. Doubt it'll have the wit and puns that Capcom's localization team has done. Havent check it out yet but it's probably straight translations.

There is an AAI2 fan translation in progress but not the same IMO. Doubt it'll have the wit and puns that Capcom's localization team has done. Haven't checked it out but it's probably straight translations.

Nah, I've been periodically checking in on it, and it seems that they have people working on it that have played the previous games in the series and may be able to replicate some of the wit. It probably won't be on the same level as the official Capcom translation, but I think it'll be close.

LiK

Nah, I've been periodically checking in on it, and it seems that they have people working on it that have played the previous games in the series and may be able to replicate some of the wit. It probably won't be on the same level as the official Capcom translation, but I think it'll be close.

I hope so but at this point I'll take anything just to finish the story.

No English on the Japanese version of AAI2 unfortunately.

Capcom is still trying to get AAI2 over to the US though, at least certain members are. Hopefully the excitement around AA5 will reignite the sentiments for AAI2 too.

Jawmuncher

There is an AAI2 fan translation in progress but not the same IMO. Doubt it'll have the wit and puns that Capcom's localization team has done. Havent check it out yet but it's probably straight translations.

Well at least that's something.
Still makes no sense to me as to why capcom said no to bringing it over.

Fuck yes. Phoenix is back, he's older, more mature, and even more awesome, and we get to see his triumphant return after AA 4's ridiculous events... I am so ready for this. This can't come out soon enough, and I'm absolutely thrilled that it's already been confirmed for the US!

I just hope that Maya still plays a large role in the story. I'm not down with the idea of anyone other than Maya being Phoenix's assistant. Even having Ema for one case didn't feel right. :/

Thoraxes

Siliconera says that the new girl's name is Shinobu.

EDIT: Maybe they are mistaking the girl in yellow's name for the girl that Phoenix is defending (with the pigtails and hat).

The screens from Famitsu have her name on them as シノブ which is Shinobu. It's the girl on the stand in the image (In the text she is stating her name). The new mysterious woman in yellow had the customary ???? as her name in shots with her text.

Hix confirmed for the 3DS purchase. Now confirm AAI2 and I can die happy.

I just hope that Maya still plays a large role in the story. I'm not down with the idea of anyone other than Maya being Phoenix's assistant. Even having Ema for one case didn't feel right. :/

Echoing this, but throw in Edgeworth, Gumshoe and Franziska as well.

PfWyp.jpg

He may be all grown up, and a 3D model instead of a sprite, but it's still the Nick we all know!
This doesn't really work anymore. Post disbarment very little managed to phase Phoenix, he wouldn't react like this when he's thrown a curve-ball.

But whatever, this seems like a sort of soft-reboot for the series.

nickcv

d56BA.gif

capcom redeemed
only if the localize investigation 2 as well

not digging too much phoenix 3D model, but i think they did a great job with the yellow girl, doesn't look lifeless..

Top Bottom