• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer plans to join the console market

ethelred

Stop It said:
Only backed by a real company, interesting, wont work, but its nice to see a serious company try.

I wish I could go and edit all of your posts to insert the periods they so desperately need.

SpacLock

People were saying the same things when Microsoft was entering the console market. I'm not ruling it as garbage just yet. Wait until they reveal more.

medrew

krypt0nian said:
ACER shareholders beware.

Why? It's not like it's going to be expensive to build since it will use existing parts, and I highly doubt that Acer expects this thing to be hugely successful.

I won't judge until I see their plans. Being an open system will win it some praise from some quarters I think, even if it doesn't take off.

If it worked though, what would happen? Would you have VIA, Intel, and people like that jumping on board the console / consumer electronics bandwagon?

I always thought Microsoft should have done something like this. Make it an open system, and license it out to consumer electronics manufacturers -- I mean: I always thought it was their software they wanted in the living room more than anything. When people heard the words Windows CE (which Dreamcast was capable of running), some people thought CE meant Consumer Electronics -- although thats not what it means... in any case, thats what I thought it was all about. Getting MS Windows in the position to take over the living room. They could have done that through reaching out to Sony and Nintendo. Live really would have been Live Anywhere.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This fabled EA console has a much better chance of getting mainstream support than anything that could come from acer. What was the last AAA game to come from Acer's development team?

Firewire

Banned
Wait is this an actual console or a line of PC's for gaming?

And doesn't Acer have a kind of crappy reputation in regards to cheap ass products?

found an english article about this:
Acer eyes future desktop systems, including game machine
By Jacqueline Emigh, BetaNews
March 13, 2008, 10:14 AM

Over the next year, Taiwan-based notebook PC maker Acer will start to produce desktop units under the Acer brand...and a senior Acer official told BetaNews yesterday that a PC-based game machine is one of the ideas being bandied about.

NEW YORK CITY (BetaNews) - Right now, the Acer brand name is still equated with PC notebooks only, despite Acer's acquisition of Gateway. But in an interview with BetaNews at its press event on Wednesday, Acer's senior vice president, James T. Wong, said that his company has a game machine in mind, and that it will be based on "open standards."

"If you look at most of the other game machines that are out there right now -- Nintendo's, the Xbox -- they are 'closed' and proprietary systems," he told BetaNews.

Wong said that, beyond "openness," all of the Acer-branded systems being eyed right now, including the game machine, are envisioned as offering new and innovative form factors and applications.

In addition to its future Acer-branded desktop PCs, however, Acer will also provide desktop systems under the Gateway name, as well as under the eMachines and Packard Bell brands inherited through the Gateway buyout, according to the senior VP. The Acer, Gateway, eMachines, and Packard Bell desktop systems will each incorporate two separate line-ups, one for consumers and the other for SMBs (small to medium-sized businesses), he said.

During a press conference attended by BetaNews earlier on Wednesday, which focused mainly on Acer's notebook PC products and strategy, officials cited Gateway's expertise in desktop systems as a big reason for buying that company.

But Wong told BetaNews that Acer had already been making desktop PCs for other vendors, anyway, with desktop systems constituting some 30 percent of Acer's huge OEM business.

Acer, though, will not be offering either desktop or notebook PCs geared to enterprise use, at least for now, according to the executive.

"You need different kinds of resources for [enterprise systems], and we don't have those kinds of resources right now," he told BetaNews.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Acer_eyes_future_desktop_systems_including_game_machine/1205406937

JeremyR

While an open console from them might not be terribly successful, if it's truly open, like the GP handhelds, then it might be worth owning. Look at the topics about custom PSP firmware, DS flash cards, hacking the Wii, PS3 linux, and how great "homebrew" really is. Well, this console will likely have nothing but "homebrew".

Flavius

Agent X said:
It sounds more like what the developers of DISCover were originally attempting to do--create a "video game console" which was essentially a simplified gaming PC that would hook up to the TV and use standard Windows PC games. The point was to make it feel like a traditional video game console by offering an easy-to-use interface and automating certain PC-centric tasks, such as game installation and driver updates. Apex and Alienware licensed the technology (the Apex machine never made it to market). DISCover quickly abandoned that concept, and refocused their technology towards traditional desktop PCs instead.

If Acer (or anyone else) can figure out how to build such a box and sell it at an affordable price, then it would certainly be a good thing.

Exactly what I was thinking.

In fact, were it not for the date on the article, I would have sworn this was another instance of someone mistakenly taking a quote made a couple of years and turning it into "new" news.

sprocket

Banned
i will buy it! i love the off the wall out of no where consoles! I was getting sad that we havent had any for a while.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
solid2snake said:
you can put it next to your CRT TV from the last century.
I don't get it.
Digital-Hero said:
Call me when old people are playing games like WiiFit on PC.

Oh wait, thats never going to happen.
100 years from now I'm gonna remember you said this.

-Rogue5-

It sounds to me like Acer is just making a pc with it's own (simple) OS, and then calling it a "games console" to build interest. Meanwhile the only thing it'll play are PC games... We'll see, but I have a hard time seeing this as a viable option (Acer doesn't have the same money that a company like MS does.)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
-Rogue5- said:
It sounds to me like Acer is just making a pc with it's own (simple) OS, and then calling it a "games console" to build interest. Meanwhile the only thing it'll play are PC games... We'll see, but I have a hard time seeing this as a viable option (Acer doesn't have the same money that a company like MS does.)
To be fair. Who does?

Pimpbaa

An open system with fixed set of hardware is what I have wanted ever since commodore and the like died. Allows developers to get he most out of the hardware. Although if this uses windows and is upgradeable, then it's incredibly pointless.

shaft said:
No, it's a little different. This will be #4 on the console market, and normally i buy all 3.

well, at the Xbox launch we had also 4 consoles

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

GHG

Joining the current gen would be suicide, so surely they would join once the 720, PS4, wii 2 etc join the market.

Seriously though, this is getting stupid with all of these companies wanting to join. If Acer and Apple join as well we could see a market crash :| . Now thats a megaton I'd like to see on GAF. The amount of meltdowns :lol .

kbear

Agent X said:
It sounds more like what the developers of DISCover were originally attempting to do--create a "video game console" which was essentially a simplified gaming PC that would hook up to the TV and use standard Windows PC games. The point was to make it feel like a traditional video game console by offering an easy-to-use interface and automating certain PC-centric tasks, such as game installation and driver updates. Apex and Alienware licensed the technology (the Apex machine never made it to market). DISCover quickly abandoned that concept, and refocused their technology towards traditional desktop PCs instead.

If Acer (or anyone else) can figure out how to build such a box and sell it at an affordable price, then it would certainly be a good thing.
^ If it's like Agent X describes, then it can only be a good thing. It would help the PC gaming market grow. What's there to hate?

-Rogue5-

Staccat0 said:
To be fair. Who does?

HA. True, but that's not what I meant. I just meant that, for the long haul and for this to be more than a glorified PC that plays PC games on an open platform, Acer would need a shit ton of money. Look at MS's attempt at breaking into the console industry as a perfect example for what Acer would have to face... it just seems unlikely (since they, nor anyone else, has that kind of money).

NOW, if they released in a MMO-addicted country and marketed it as an MMO-based console (maybe a monthly-fee-free MMO console?), they may be able to pull some decent sales numbers and then pull in devs to start developing for it. Other than that, you gotta have mad cash (like a Sony or an MS...or a Google) to get into the console business and sustain the rough weather for the first few generations.

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

1)It was no longer called Dolphin, as GameCube had been announced as the name long before
2)The Dreamcast was officially discontinued it January 2001. So there were 3 consoles when the Xbox launch (2 in North America, GameCube had launched in September in Japan, and came out 2 days after Xbox in North America).

Pimpbaa

DKnight said:
Going by this thread, they may as well cancel the project right now...

If the industry went by gaf, we would be probably playing nothing. 360 always breaks, psp/ps3 has no games, wii and ds only has non-games.

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

1)It was no longer called Dolphin, as GameCube had been announced as the name long before
2)The Dreamcast was officially discontinued it January 2001. So there were 3 consoles when the Xbox launch (2 in North America, GameCube had launched in September in Japan, and came out 2 days after Xbox in North America).

Dina

solid2snake said:
i heard the iGame by Apple is "Boom", well, that's what Steve Jobs said.

You know better.

As for this Acer thing, personally I would have liked seeing them jump into the manufacturers seat, but for parts of consoles, not entire consoles.

zoku88

Wow, maybe we'll get a console that breaks even more so than the 360 does, given the quality of Acer's current laptops :lol

EDIT: Maaan, that made my feel like a troll... Don't ban me please T_T Acer really does have sucky quality...

sprocket

Banned
GHG said:
Joining the current gen would be suicide, so surely they would join once the 720, PS4, wii 2 etc join the market.

Seriously though, this is getting stupid with all of these companies wanting to join. If Acer and Apple join as well we could see a market crash :| . Now thats a megaton I'd like to see on GAF. The amount of meltdowns :lol .

First
no now would be the best time to join .. they know what everyone else has out there.. they could put out a more powerful machine out.

second this wouldn't cause a market a market crash .. at the least .. it would give us a neat niche console that last a few years.

I am all for it!

Exclusive first pic revealed!

11mdbbm.jpg

dude

dude
kbear said:
^ If it's like Agent X describes, then it can only be a good thing. It would help the PC gaming market grow. What's there to hate?
It could be awesome, but it's Acer... They're not that great.

zoku88

GenericPseudonym said:
So a company smaller than Nintendo is determined to run in a market controlled by two juggernauts and a phenomenon? Are they stupid?
Are you talking about Acer? When you say "smaller than Nintendo", what do you mean by that? You do know that Acer is pretty big right?

I believe they are ranked #2 (or something close) in worldwide PC shipments (now that they own Gateway and some other companies.)

sprocket said:
BS Acer makes damn fine pcs.. they were also one of the first to put 3d hardware into their retail pcs.

Their laptops, at least, are horrible. They have horrid build quality and stuff. And since consoles are compact, I would use the laptops as a closer indication to what quality their console would be (unless they make their console really huge.)

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

sprocket

Banned
whats funny is all the people who are against this ... .yet... we have threads all the time talking about the amiga ,C64, msx , x6800, pc engine ehh you get the point.

Top Bottom