• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer plans to join the console market

Innotech

Banned
I have an ACER desktop and its honestly not bad. Havent had a single issue with it. I think maybe their bad quality stops at laptops.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Innotech said:
I have an ACER desktop and its honestly not bad. Havent had a single issue with it. I think maybe their bad quality stops at laptops.

Their laptops are extremely budget-end for the U.S. market, in the middle eastern and asian markets they have some mid range stuff to compete with Toshiba and Panasonic and their quality i much better, but they are priced a bit higher.

zoku88

Innotech said:
Well, laptops are really hard to build. Lots of problems. Desktops are easy. I mean, how do you mess up a desktop?

surazal

If Acer does this with off the shelf components, what's to stop the other PC manufacterers making a slightly better and compatible system? And then we are back to the problem of nonstandard and rolling specs that have plagued PCs for a long time.

AmMortal

Banned
I can't believe some of the replies in this thread, c'mon what the hell do we lose?

IMO, its always nice to see new companies try.

They might succeed, btw my Acer laptop never broke in the 3-4 years I have it.

aeolist

Banned
zoku88 said:
Well, laptops are really hard to build. Lots of problems. Desktops are easy. I mean, how do you mess up a desktop?
Shitty motherboard and power supply. With all of the other parts (except the case which isn't important) there are only a few major manufacturers and reliability is more normalized across the board. A shitty mobo and PSU, though, is the best way for an OEM to skimp on costs and the parts that tend to fail most often in desktops.

adama-rama

Neo Member
Acer competing with the Big Three in the home console wars...

On the bright side, it might develop a decent homebrew scene before it crashes spectacularly.

On a semi-related note, after buying a (brand new) dodgy Chimei 22" monitor, then trading it in for a dodgy Samsung from the store, then 2 other models, I finally got an Acer model and it works fine.

Chrange

Banned
Yeesh - six months ago we got four, maybe five, new Acer laptops for the office. Now we have none, all abandoned and replaced with Dell laptops instead. Constant problems with the hardware, and a range of problems - not just one or two issues repeating.

nofi

Acer plans to join the console market

33o4ay9.jpg

Top Bottom