• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer plans to join the console market

zoku88 said:
Are you talking about Acer? When you say "smaller than Nintendo", what do you mean by that? You do know that Acer is pretty big right?

I believe they are ranked #2 (or something close) in worldwide PC shipments (now that they own Gateway and some other companies.)

Acer is ranked 1,314 on the Forbes Global 2000, where as Nintendo is ranked 532.

Haunted

Odysseus said:
at least it isn't sega
Low blow, man, low blow.

sprocket said:
whats funny is all the people who are against this ... .yet... we have threads all the time talking about the amiga ,C64, msx , x6800, pc engine ehh you get the point.
Try to imagine that there are people with different opinions on GAF. Did I just blow your mind? :p

NolbertoS

VIDEOMARKET CRASH CONFIRMED. Seriously, too many players in the market is going to create panic among consumers, who don't know which to pick, meaning if they buy a console, it could be dead in the water with game and their SOL, but if they buy a console with a brand recognition, means they'll get good games, but miss out on the exclusives. Becoming a multi-console owner will be more expensive. I'm sure EA, Sega and others are probably interested in the news, as Acer might provide a joint venture for either of those companies.

Pimpbaa

sprocket said:
whats funny is all the people who are against this ... .yet... we have threads all the time talking about the amiga ,C64, msx , x6800, pc engine ehh you get the point.

I know, and that's what I want. Would be so awesome to have an open platform with a standard set of hardware again.

GHG

sprocket said:
First
no now would be the best time to join .. they know what everyone else has out there.. they could put out a more powerful machine out.

second this wouldn't cause a market a market crash .. at the least .. it would give us a neat niche console that last a few years.

I am all for it!

Despite them being able to put a more powerful console out it would be overlooked. We already have an established base of consoles for this gen and seriously, how would they get any dev support for this thing so late in the game? Who is going to take them seriously? Unless they secretly have prototypes already out there in the hands of developers they have no chance.

Also, we already have a niche console, its called the Wii. I don't see where this would fit in. The 360 and PS3 are already similar enough as it is in terms of what types of games they provide. Adding another console to the market which provides PC crossover games is pointless in the current climate. For a business to enter a new product into an existing market there needs to be a gap that they can fulfil and as far as I can see, there is no gap. The PS3, 360 and Wii have all bases covered, even including one that wasn't there previously, casuals. If there is a gap I'm certianly not seeing it. All that bringing something like this would cause is an oversaturated market IMO.

Yes more competition is a good thing, but not in the current market. There is nothing wrong with the current market, its healthy, it doesn't need more products considering all companies are already on their toes and keeping prices as low as possible as it is.

Haunted

Odysseus said:
the other option was "they should just step in and take over for microsoft"
We'll tally the hardware at the end of the generation and the one in last place needs to concede. Sounds good to me!

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:
well, at the Xbox launch we had also 4 consoles

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

1)It was no longer called Dolphin, as GameCube had been announced as the name long before
2)The Dreamcast was officially discontinued it January 2001. So there were 3 consoles when the Xbox launch (2 in North America, GameCube had launched in September in Japan, and came out 2 days after Xbox in North America).

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

1)It was no longer called Dolphin, as GameCube had been announced as the name long before
2)The Dreamcast was officially discontinued it January 2001. So there were 3 consoles when the Xbox launch (2 in North America, GameCube had launched in September in Japan, and came out 2 days after Xbox in North America).

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Ah man I've always wanted to buy a console from the same company that owns the prestigious Gateway and eMachine labels.

Odysseus

Banned
Odysseus said:
tj spyke is on the most awesomely spaced quintuple post of all time

can it continue?

and it does.

see, kids, this is a demonstration of relativistic travel. you might remember it from the ender series.

tj spyke right now is on a vessel approaching the speed of light. his six posts in a row here have happened in over an hour of our time. yet, to him, only a few seconds have passed. if he stays in there for, say, an hour of his time, we'll all be long dead when he slows down.

good news is that he'll get back when ps12 is hitting its stride and wii2 adds hd output.

gtj1092

TJ Spyke said:

So do you happen to know how many consoles were available when xbox released?:D

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

camineet

Banned
It's really a shame that Matsushita did not release the 3DO-designed, Matsushita-upgraded M2 as a game console.

It is also a shame that Samsung did not release the 3DO/CagEnt designed MX (hugely upgraded M2) as a console. Nintendo almost used it as the basis for a quick replacement for the struggling N64 in 1999, before they went ahead with ArtX & IBM on the Dolphin/Gamecube. The MX and CagEnt who designed it went to Microsoft.

I do hope that a strong new competitor emerges in the coming generation, with a real, serious, proprietary console to challenge Microsoft-Nintendo-Sony.

Sega has been gone from the market for 6-7 years now.

Is it gonna be Apple? They seem to be the biggest possibility, but ultimately they don't have what it takes.

Is it gonna be ACER ? Heh, no way.

Matsushita/Panasonic/JVC, NEC, Fujitsu, Hitachi and Samsung. The traditional Japanese and Asian players.

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

NolbertoS

TJ Spyke said:

You really want to get banned from NeoGAF that badly huh..keep it up Junior.

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

TJ Spyke

solid2snake said:

- Dreamcast
- PS2
- Xbox
- Dolphine (Gamecube)

neight

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
crazy.gif

My cheapass Acer laptop is still going after 5 years of hard use and abuse, though I've just recently replaced it with a Macbook. I like Acer, so I'm going to say this:

DON'T DO IT GUYS

THIS IS A BAD BUSINESS TO BE IN

Slavik81

Odysseus said:
and it does.

see, kids, this is a demonstration of relativistic travel. you might remember it from the ender series.

tj spyke right now is on a vessel approaching the speed of light. his six posts in a row here have happened in over an hour of our time. yet, to him, only a few seconds have passed. if he stays in there for, say, an hour of his time, we'll all be long dead when he slows down.

good news is that he'll get back when ps12 is hitting its stride and wii2 adds hd output.
This post is too brilliant for words.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
TJ Spyke said:

Well, at least it was a unique way to go out.

Slavik81

This might not be a bad thing if it's a fully functional media-center PC. I'm sure there's a budding market for that these days.

_leech_ said:
Acer: "We're going to enter the console market... with a PC."
It's been done before with reasonable success. Most of the advantages evaporated after the market became more competitive, but some are still there.

Top Bottom