• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Achievements for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas appear on Xbox 360

stn

I still have the original disc for XBox but I'd still get this. Here's hoping they change up the controls so that drive-bys are easier, they were ridiculously annoying to control.

Or let it be a game you can play at your home or at arcade cabinets strewn across the map in GTA 5!

just like you had a video game console you could play in CJ's house in san andreas, let you play a console in mikes house, franklins house or trevors place that loads up san andreas!

Was there anything like this in 4? ... I always thought it strange they didn't let you play on the arcades in the Life Invader offices or the console in Jimmy's room in GTAV ...

Cragvis

Was there anything like this in 4? ... I always thought it strange they didn't let you play on the arcades in the Life Invader offices or the console in Jimmy's room in GTAV ...

There were arcade machines in 4, at least one game I know of, quebed or something, a tetris clone.

I THOUGHT there was an arcade machine in 5, but maybe im wrong there.

Best GTA.

I think this would make it a ... sextuple dip for me? I've bought SA:

- PS2
- PC (Twice, retail and then during a Steam sale)
- Xbox 360 (Xbox original)
- Android

And I'll probably buy it a 6th time on Xbox 360 if it's remastered. I also own the Xbox Original so I wonder if it'd keep the music or not. Hell, I own this game 5 times over, so I should get to keep the music.

If it were packed up and released as an add-on to GTAV, with slightly touched up graphics and optimized controls, I'd buy it all over again.

Oemenia

Banned
Been holding my breath for years over this. Lets hope the lighting from the PS2 version stays, the other versions never felt the same despite the significant IQ improvement.

Also any chance for those of us who own it digitally on PS3/360 to get an upgrade?

Nethaniah

Been holding my breath for years over this. Lets hope the lighting from the PS2 version stays, the other versions never felt the same despite the significant IQ improvement.

Also any chance for those of us who own it digitally on PS3/360 to get an upgrade?

The lighting went away for a reason, it was most likely because the ps2 wasn't capable of technically better lighting, there's a mod for it on PC to get it back, i personally have no good feelings towards the ps2 version of this game.

Asgaro

Not gamebreaking sure, but there are issues :p, having played the console version recently it became pretty obvious that the engine isn't meant to go above that framelimiter.

Also love how R* is finally fixing the steam version despite a support page on their site having been up for 3 years now with the complaint of no widescreen support, despite the retail versions having it (with a patch.)

Edit: https://support.rockstargames.com/h...ck-of-widescreen-support-for-San-Andreas-v3-0 there it is.

"This is under investigation and we would recommend subscribing to this article, which we will update as soon as we have new information. " i'll bet, have that page bookmarked for over 3 years now.

Wtf?
Is that a widespread issue with the Steam version?
You would expect to be notified of this on the store page.

Last year I purchased GTA Vice City on Steam again, even though I have a disk version.
I haven't done the same yet for San Andreas but I would be annoyed if it turns out the Steam version can't run widescreen.

--

About a possible San Andreas remaster: I would definitely buy it, but only if there are meaningful changes graphics wise.
So only adding modern controller support wouldn't do it for me.

Nethaniah

Wtf?
Is that a widespread issue with the Steam version?
You would expect to be notified of this on the store page.

Last year I purchased GTA Vice City on Steam again, even though I have a disk version.
I haven't done the same yet for San Andreas but I would be annoyed if it turns out the Steam version can't run widescreen.

--

About a possible San Andreas remaster: I would definitely buy it, but only if there are meaningful changes graphics wise.
So only adding modern controller support wouldn't do it for me.

Sure, it's a widespread issue because that version of the game just does not support anything higher than 1680x1050, unless i'm mistaken everyone owning the steam version has that issue.

And yes i do know most down-patch that version of the game to 1.01 or something, but to have to go through that however simple it is? Fuck you R*, the retail version had widescreen, why not this supposed upgraded version (according to the number attached.)

So for those who own the original on PC do we need to rebut or will it be upgraded to?

I will never buy another R* game again if they make me rebuy the steam version, i don't expect them to be as stupid as that though.

Oemenia

Banned
The lighting went away for a reason, it was most likely because the ps2 wasn't capable of technically better lighting, there's a mod for it on PC to get it back, i personally have no good feelings towards the ps2 version of this game.
Each version has it's benefits.

PS2 - Best lighting but poor IQ and framerate. Worst controls, loading and pop-up issues (though these improve a lot with a hard-drive i.e playing on a PS3).

XBOX - Improved somewhat graphically (better than the DP in some ways but overall worse, especially the IQ) and controlled great (especially on the 360). My go-to version but very disappointing port.

PC - Could look way better (but had terrible controls).

Still can you enlighten me on why they removed, the other versions just look sterile without it.

Izuna

Banned
I thought this was just the Windows 8.1 and Phone release.

They have achievements, being a port of the iOS ver.

Nethaniah

Still can you enlighten me on why they removed, the other versions just look sterile without it.

That's the thing, i always assumed that it was purely technical, some gamers got so attached to those orange skies, kind of amuses me.

I will say, do not expect R* to bring this back, this "remaster" or simply new version of the game will most likely be based of the mobile version (which i have) and it's nothing spectacular, also manages to run like shit on a desktop pc.

Man I would love for it to appear on vita.
It won't happen.

so much this. The psp games are hard to go back to, a spin off from 5 Is 100% not happening, so a rejigged version of SA with improved controls and graphics would be a lovely compromise. a man can dream a futile dream...

hell I'd settle for a straight port. It's on every fucker else.

Man, that would be incredible. It'd be a day one for me.

San Andreas was great. Vice City would've been my preferred remaster, though. I used to spend hours jumping out of planes in San Andreas, then parachuting to the strip, so that'll be fun to do again.

For some reason I thought it was already available for it?

Regardless, I'd definitely be down to buy it. I never got the chance to play much of it and I've been wanting to for a while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For some reason I thought it was already available for it?

Regardless, I'd definitely be down to buy it. I never got the chance to play much of it and I've been wanting to for a while.

You can buy it as an Xbox Original, but that's not the same as a 360 downloadable. The 360 ui stuff doesn't work, it's native resolution, no achievements, some weird emulation issues, etc.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Same.... I wanted this sooo bad:

original2-232x300.jpg

Hopefully, it is true and launches right after 5.
Uh....you can already play LCS and VCS on Vita. Chances are that re-releases wouldn't have improved them in a substantial way anyway. It's 3, VC and SA that Vita needs.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I'm happy they are finally giving one of their best games a little TLC. The PC version is legit awful now adays with lack of xinput support and widescreen being wacky. I'll buy it again the second it's updated.

"All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

Fucking Big Smoke. I played about 10 hours of San Andreas when it came to Amazon's Fire TV. It plays fine but didn't remember all the Grove St. dudes being so annoying!

San Andreas is still the best game in the series.
I never understood why people had so much trouble with that mission. It wasn't very difficult if you understood that Big Smoke had to be far enough away to shoot the guys.

AlexBasch

The PC version of GTA SA has been getting some pretty regular testing with new beta depots spotted. Not sure what is happening there. One of the early betas was briefly not password protected and a gaffer found it to have xinput and proper widescreen support. Also some music licencing issues are being dealt with, as had occured with Vice City. Seems old owners may get to keep the old music, but new users won't.

Will be interesting to see what is happening on 360.
I bought SA a couple of months ago and hace yet to play it because of the controls. If they add xinput? Damn, that will be one less game from my backlog.

Most excellent if true. Since it's the tenth anniversary this year, would they announce it now and release later sometime next year or just say screw it and release it with GTAV looming in the distance?

The PC version of GTA SA has been getting some pretty regular testing with new beta depots spotted. Not sure what is happening there. One of the early betas was briefly not password protected and a gaffer found it to have xinput and proper widescreen support. Also some music licencing issues are being dealt with, as had occured with Vice City. Seems old owners may get to keep the old music, but new users won't.

Will be interesting to see what is happening on 360.
How have I gone this long without hearing about this? This is exciting news! Hopefully it releases soon, so I've got something from them to hold me off until the PC version of GTA V, but I doubt it.

When was that beta that wasn't password protected release?

Ataxia

Eh. Once Halo comes out I want to leave last gen in the past. It was dragged on long enough

Unless this comes on Xbone / PS4 then I'm not really interested.

Cornbread78

Uh....you can already play LCS and VCS on Vita. Chances are that re-releases wouldn't have improved them in a substantial way anyway. It's 3, VC and SA that Vita needs.

I'd take them all remastered with trophies included for VITA...... Day 1 for sure...

I do most of my gaming on that nowadays...

I never understood why people had so much trouble with that mission. It wasn't very difficult if you understood that Big Smoke had to be far enough away to shoot the guys.

It's a significant difficulty spike with no explanation of what you're actually supposed to do... "All you had to do was follow the train, CJ." Well, not really. You had to stay in front of the train to the right for 50% of it, and then keep a sizeable distance to the left for the final 2 guys, and you had to hope that Smoke made the logical decision in who to shoot... and he regularly did not.

The PS2 version of this mission and Zero's flight mission were significantly harder than subsequent releases on PC and Xbox, where they made those missions easier. After a hundred tries I beat Zero's RC plane mission on PS2... after painstakingly outlining the best possible path to take and then taking 10 or 20 tries to actually execute on it. And then replaying it on PC, I did it in one try; same with Xbox Original/360.

It's a significant difficulty spike with no explanation of what you're actually supposed to do... "All you had to do was follow the train, CJ." Well, not really. You had to stay in front of the train to the right for 50% of it, and then keep a sizeable distance to the left for the final 2 guys, and you had to hope that Smoke made the logical decision in who to shoot... and he regularly did not.

The PS2 version of this mission and Zero's flight mission were significantly harder than subsequent releases on PC and Xbox, where they made those missions easier. After a hundred tries I beat Zero's RC plane mission on PS2... after painstakingly outlining the best possible path to take and then taking 10 or 20 tries to actually execute on it. And then replaying it on PC, I did it in one try; same with Xbox Original/360.

Launch the Red Baron!

Yeah, that Zero mission was a killer on the PS2.

I wonder what happens if you've already bought the original from 360/PSN. I don't see this getting much upgrades if any at all. They'll probably make you pay again but I don't think it's worth it if there's nothing new besides achievements/trophies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd take them all remastered with trophies included for VITA...... Day 1 for sure...

I do most of my gaming on that nowadays...
As do I. Greatest handheld of all time. I'd kill for GTA on it. But I don't expect. At this point honestly I'd just be satisfied with remote playing the GTA3 trilogy. As for the Stories games I wouldn't mind if native Vita versions happened but I'm ok with the PSP versions I already have on Vita.

Top Bottom