• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

I've continued to add GI Joe figures to my collection. I find myself going for "open but complete" versions of these guys. I'm an opener, anyway. Plus the open versions of the Pursuit of Cobra guys can be way cheaper than the MoC versions. Up first is probably my favorite of the bunch, Pursuit of Cobra Beach Head.

8uc70mZ.jpg

DqEtlD2.jpg

EbSTlT5.jpg

I've always loved this character. When I was deciding what figure to go with, I decided against one of the anniversary updates of his classic look. I still think it's awesome, but the Pursuit of Cobra update is just too awesome to deny. Just a bad ass update of a cool character. All the gear they gave him turned him into a one man army. Love it to death.

Up next is GI Joe Resolute Duke.

Ebv1Uw7.jpg

yDCe4ou.jpg

Even though the Pursuit of Cobra Duke is cool, it's a step too far from his classic look for my linking. I do like the more tactical look of the PoC figures, so I wanted that for Duke. I feel like Resolute is a nice middle ground for him. It's his classic colors, but given a Call of Duty style makeover for the modern world. Plus the Resolute Cartoon is really cool, so it's nice to have that represented on my growing GI Joe shelf.

Next is the Ultimate Cobra Commander.

jrm07n7.jpg

6oTZG5l.jpg

This was a hard one to settle on. There are just so many modern versions of Cobra Commander, and most of them are really well done. I opted for the Ultimate version that came out in the Retaliation wave simply because he comes with two heads. I can have my preferred look (the hooded CC) but switch out for the chrome mask version should I want some variety later on.

Last, but certainly not least, is the Pursuit of Cobra Firefly.

E3zAnDZ.jpg

wVGMtUf.jpg

Another personal favorite (easily in my top five Cobra characters) given a bad ass update in the PoC line. I love all the body armor he comes with. He feels like a legit demolitions expert now. Super intimidating, but still very much Firefly. Couldn't be happier to have went with this version over the 25th edition of the classic look.

There's still maybe another 10 - 12 figures I want, then I'll call it a day on Joe figures. At least, until Hasbro relaunches a Marvel Legends style line.

The 30th Anniversary and POC line were the pinnacle of GI Joe toys. Most of the line has shot up in value quite a bit. The follow ups around the 50th were disappointing in comparison, lot of reused assets instead of continual improvement the line was getting sinc ethe 25th anniversary.

Both are great figures!

Be careful with the web wings on Spidey, they fell off when we got him out of the packaging and we can't find one of them.
After seeing some pics, I think I'm gonna pose him without the wings because they look a little dinky. I wish it came with am alternate Peter head but I won't be surprised if that's in a later wave.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Goddamn... the Star Trek figures from the Play Arts Kai series are so ugly that I feel like I'm being trolled. Even Mattel could do way better.
They wanted $90 for that shit, too.

That Marvel Legends Tom Holland head is pretty good.

jackdoe

Even thought I have AOU Cap, I made sure to buy CW Cap because I knew I'd regret it - oddly enough I also regret not getting the CW Battle Version Cap. . .
CW Cap was never on my radar since the AOU Cap costume is the second best version of Cap right now (the best version of Cap is the Golden Age Cap costume which I own, but the HT figure for it is a bit disappointing).

Anth0ny

I also have a Cap on my "Hot Toys to buy" list but I can't decide which costume is my favorite.

I think I like his Avengers 1 costume the most but the Chris Evans likeness looks a bit off to me... maybe I'll wait and see how he looks in Infinity War.

Wolffen

FigureGAF: After helping my mother-in-law move and seeing all the stuff she has, I've gotten the purge bug and I'm re-evaluating pretty much every action figure I've got packed away from over the years. As I was going through my collection, I found a box with some figures still on card that I don't have any attachment to, but might be worth something (not much, but a little bit). I've got several McFarlane Spawn & Metal Gear Solid figures (although I might have to keep Snake), ToyBiz Resident Evil Figures, Kenner Aliens vs Marines, and ToyBiz Alpha Flight figures.

I was hoping you guys could suggest the best place to sell these at. Would the buy/sell/trade thread in the Gaming Community section be a good start?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Snaku

Banned

Damn, that was pretty cool. Loved figuring out the transformation, and it wasn't as complicated as I was expecting. Really impressed with the size and detail. Also need to pick up some batteries for it. Should be getting MPM-03 tomorrow.

Nice! Always wanted sky lynx. Got a third of the G1 figures I wanted,masterpiece kinda put the rest on the back burner lol. If it weren't for them I'd have a huge G1 collection,but I think nowadays I much prefer having the masterpiece line,it's everything transformers I could of asked for!
my encores came in today =)
uK5aWlRh.jpg

Does anyone make articulated figures of medieval armor?

Banpresto seems to be doing something kindof along these lines with the Dark Souls figures, but not sure how many sets we can expect.

NEO0MJ

Does anyone make articulated figures of medieval armor?

Banpresto seems to be doing something kindof along these lines with the Dark Souls figures, but not sure how many sets we can expect.

Because Diggeh isn't here I'll offer this recommendation instead. Might want to take a look at Four Horsemen's Mythical Legion line.

Looks pretty good.

If they don't fuck Spyro up with polystone shit, I'll probably have to buy it.

Is there a problem with polystone other than price and fragility?

Really loving the Mezco 1:12 Miles Morales. Not loving that it's an exclusive.

I've been dancing around jumping into the line, but I think this figure may be the one to push me over the edge. How does one outside of the US order this?

Nice man! Gotta get me a sky lynx some day,also a new Soundwave would be awesome,mines old from the 80's and has seen better days lol. As soon as we get settled into our new house I'll get some pics of my collection.
the box for sky lynx is bigger than i thought. i thought he would be the same size as soundwave/hotrod.
whenever you can, i'd love to see your old school G1's and MP's

encore mini bots came in the mail today to go along with metroplex.
dC52LBgl.jpg

i would alway look at his box and see the little cars on metroplex =P (i grabbed the TF collection minibots way back as well)

I wouldn't quit. I ball out when I have to. What is real life even. What is life without that Hulkbuster. Nothing.
LOL

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
encore mini bots came in the mail today to go along with metroplex.
dC52LBgl.jpg

i would alway look at his box and see the little cars on metroplex =P (i grabbed the TF collection minibots way back as well)

Gears was my first Transformer because Transformers were impossible to find at first and noone wanted him.
Why are the colors different? G2?

Gears was my first Transformer because Transformers were impossible to find at first and noone wanted him.
Why are the colors different? G2?
yeah i had gears as a kid too =)
these are characters in G1 lineup that appeared in the show. they are re-colors of the same toy like red alert/sideswipe and smoke screen/blue streak/prowl

TAJ

yeah i had gears as a kid too =)
these are characters in G1 lineup that appeared in the show. they are re-colors of the same toy like red alert/sideswipe and smoke screen/blue streak/prowl

Ah, I was way more into the comics. Same with G.I. Joe.

NEO0MJ

What's the over/under on Tekken figs happening? Has that series gotten any in the past?

Tekken figures are extremely rare and far between. Post Tekken Tag 1 the only action figures released were Play Arts Kai for Kazuya and Jun's TTT2 designs.
Plenty of 1/4 and 1/6 statues, though.

Top Bottom