• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Closes Budcat; Bizarre Closing On Friday, February 18th

element

MS isn't going to buy Bizarre, they've put their focus on Kinect and Forza and there's plenty of developers looking for work who could do a PGR5 for cheap with some Turn10 or MGS folks overseeing the process.
The more likely situation would have MS partner with a new company of ex-Bizzare staffers, similar to what happened with Realtime Worlds and Ruffian. This new company would make PGR5 or something.

Still doubtful though.

Vinci

Danish
jred250 said:
Even if you are a "enthusiast", how many games do you need?

Yup. And meanwhile, these stupid people want to crunch down on Gamestop - which, honestly, is likely the reason folks are able to afford even a decent amount of all this content being flooded onto them.

NewFresh

Wow. Why did activision even bother having them make bloodstone if it was sent to die anyway?

Blur was a good game and Geometry Wars was a great game

Hope those 200 people land on their feet

McLovin

Sucks they where a good team, I thought Blur was an awesome game but it just came out at the wrong time. Really unfortunate. I feel like crap for not buying it... ironically the main reason I didn't get it was because it was from Activision :/

Raide

Shiggy said:
Another UK studio bites the dust :/

This.

The UK Development list is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Sad to see Bizarre go, loved the MSR and PGR series. Best of luck to all those that lost their jobs.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Your crybaby hyperbole certainly makes for great discussions. Nobody made Bizarre sell to Activision. They knew the risks going in, but also knew thr risks of trying to be an independent studio had they chosen that route. But by all means keep on believing Bobby Kotick is the great Satan and activision only shuts down studios for their own amusement. That has to be the only logical reason for something like this to happen in such great economic times where every other type of business is thriving.

:lol

Activision's handling of Bizarre has been poor at best. Sure they may have known risks going into Activision, but they have so much money it's insane. I'm sure they offered Bizarre a crazy amount, because why not?

Yes Bobby kotick is a fucking dick, and Activision shuts down studio's too easy. They make them churn out mediocre games and release them in dumbass period's and then shut them down. Yeah sure I'm being a real crybaby here *rolls eyes*.

If they'd have make them a game similar to PGR, put it out in a quiet period ( when there are no games like Modnation Racer, Split Second and Red Dead Redemption in the same month ) they could have actually made a big profit. But nooooooo, why don't you make this lame ass James Bond title? Or do you actually think Bizarre wanted to do that game? :lol

Superfrog

DaBuddaDa said:
Vinci said:
Wait, Blur was that game? Oh god, that's not the big marketing push, is it? That was an awful ad.

Yeah, really bad ad. Not only is it kind of poorly made, they're bashing a game that is incomprehensibly popular with the casuals and the hardcore too. It basically only targets immature, self-conscious 15 year olds, which isn't a very great demographic to be selling to.
I thought the ad was brilliant and pretty funny. You shouldn't see at as an insult or bash to Mario Kart, it was just a funny take on it to clearly point out the similar gameplay concept.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
or the budget for mid tier games will adjust allowing for them to be sold at 30 or 40 bucks and make a profit.

This, or move to $10-$20 downloads. It will mean a drop in budgets and studio size, obviously, but it's that or disappear.

KingJ2002

Ninja Scooter said:
Your crybaby hyperbole certainly makes for great discussions. Nobody made Bizarre sell to Activision. They knew the risks going in, but also knew thr risks of trying to be an independent studio had they chosen that route. But by all means keep on believing Bobby Kotick is the great Satan and activision only shuts down studios for their own amusement. That has to be the only logical reason for something like this to happen in such great economic times where every other type of business is thriving.

^^ this.

at the end of the day bizarre sold themselves to Activision.

if they would have sold to EA... they could have been one of the first devs apart of their EAP program

if they sold to Microsoft they could have kept creating the games they loved but they just wasn't feeling the corporate structure and arrogance of Microsoft being number 1.

if they would have stayed independent... they could have went belly up.. after all PGR wasn't Halo level in terms of sales... it was more complimentary to the Xbox lineup.

all in all... they are still a great team and no one knows that better than MGS considering the level of success they had. so i hope Microsoft rebuilds the bizarre creations or just buys them outright.

Pooya

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ev_Bizarre_Creations_Puts_Staff_On_Notice.php
it's not rumor, official response
Activision confirmed to Gamasutra on Tuesday that it is considering selling off Bizarre Creations, the UK-based developer that the megapublisher acquired in 2007.

"Over the past three years since our purchase of Bizarre Creations, the fundamentals of the racing genre have changed significantly," an Activision rep said in a statement. "Although we made a substantial investment in creating a new IP, Blur, it did not find a commercial audience."

The statement continued, "Bizarre is a very talented team of developers, however, because of the broader economic factors impacting the market, we are exploring our options regarding the future of the studio, including a potential sale of the business."

The statement from Activision comes as rumors hit the web that 200 workers were let go from the Liverpool, England-based studio.

But the rep told Gamasutra that all Bizarre staff thus far have only received a 90-day notice that some type of restructuring or closure could take place, in accordance with UK labor laws.

It's possible that parent Activision could sell off Bizarre as a whole, shut it down, reduce the headcount or sell off its assets, among numerous other possibilities. Activision has yet to make public any firm decision.

Just wondering, but did the PS2/Gamecube/XBox generation have as many studio closures as this gen? I'm willing to bet the PS1/N64/Saturn had the lowest amount.

Sean

Banned
This sucks. I knew Bizarre's relationship with Activision would end up this way. The best case scenario is ex-Bizarre employees forming a new studio and partnering with Microsoft on PGR5. I can't see any publisher interested in buying the entire studio.

It seems like the racing genre has pretty much collapsed these last few years. Split Second, Blur, Pure, pretty much everything has flopped. Need for Speed franchise went into a big sales decline IIRC. The only successful racers seem to be Forza and Gran Turismo, both heavily-promoted/bundled first party games.

When they arrived at work this morning they found security guards outside their office building and “too cheerful” consultants brought in to tell them they’re all being let go. Similar reports are coming out of UK developer Bizarre Creations, who made Blur for Activision just this year.

Stay classy, Acti. Stay classy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well The future of gaming looks like this:

(I am talking about consoles and PC's)
AAA Games FPS, TPS, ACTION ADVENTURE, MMORPG, SPORTS GAMES FIFA MADDEN. games with bloated budgets and masses of hype that if they fail to sell will take down devs, but if they make a profit hope you like seeing them run into the ground...

Nintendo Games (yes is a bit catch all but you get my drift)

Indie Games
Downloadable games from XBLA, PSN, Steam, WiiWare, lower risk meaning lower budget, you may get the Odd SHMUP or Port of a fighting game.

Then there is shovel ware just flooding the market with cheap crap.

Games that are going the way of point and click (not aas relevant as they used to be)

SHMUPS,FIGHTING,Racing, Experimental games that cannot turn a profit (brutal legend etc)
and Platformers (I dont think they will be as relevant as they once were, except for Nintendo Games)

Handhelds will suffer sales hits due to Android/App store low prices and shovelware apps, see GTA CTW for example hopefully Nintendo will be the exception, but again it is usally Nintendo Developed games that seem to sell better than thrid party games

Well the games industry was fun while it lasted :(

Mooreberg

Unfortunately this is just the invisible hand of the market at work. I only say this because I believe the market that these companies are catering to (us) simply do not need all the games they are trying to sell to us.

Release date timing was part of it. As I said before, May was a bloodbath before you even considered the other racing games coming out at the same exact time.

But you have to remember it is not like Activision needs low sales as a reason to fuck with a studio. IW delivered a monster and still got screwed for the most part. This is a bit less surprising because racing game sales seem to have been taking a dive along with music game sales. I'm guessing GT5 will be able avoid the trend (though I'm not sure heavily hyping a release date for months and randomly delaying it to later in the month helps much) and we'll see if Hot Pursuit fares better. Between all the games EA and Codemasters put out every year, the genre is getting saturated.

Superfrog

I don't know about the mistakes that have been made at BC, but Activision did so many things wrong with both Blur and Bond that it seems unfair of them to solely blame BC by closing or selling them.

1. The Blur concept itself was just not very appealing to many consumers. I mean, who wants to mix Mario Kart and licensed cars in a realistic setting? People had been used to either cartoony fun racers or post-apocalyptic battle racers like Twisted Metal when thinking of cars and weapons. I remember that even BC fans were extremely underwhelmed by the game during the development phase. It eventually got a little better towards the release when it became clear that BC put some extra effort and polish into Blur. I don't want to know what the quality of the game would have been if Activision hadn't given BC more development time and delayed the game. So at least the latter seems to speak for Activision, though.

2. The release date of Blur was fucked up. The decision to release almost simultanously with the only other high-profile arcade racing game at that time (Split/Second) was extremely unfortunate by both Activision and Disney.

3. The release date of Blood Stone was fucked up. To release in the same week as Black Ops is absolutely inexplicable. No matter what the actual game quality or the budget is, you don't roll out ANY of your own releases simultanously to Call of Duty. The only possible explanation I can think of is that Activision had already written off the game, made the decision to part company with BC and simply wanted to piss off BC. Nevertheless, it was a terrible decision business-wise.

hydragonwarrior said:
Just wondering, but did the PS2/Gamecube/XBox generation have as many studio closures as this gen? I'm willing to bet the PS1/N64/Saturn had the lowest amount.
not sure, but it was to be expected. as costs of development rise, the ability of developers to handle even one failed project shrinks. especially when coupled with the tough economic climate.

this was predicted before this generation got started, as reports of developers having to hire scores of additional artists and programmers to make assets and content for this generation of consoles surfaced. more people = more money being spent. more money being spent = more eggs in one basket.

you can follow the rest of the logic from there. next generation will see even more closures and mergers if the next wave of consoles are no easier to program for...for all of the same reasons.

Zomba13

I kinda feel guilty now =/
Reason I didn't buy Blur even though the demo was awesome was beacause of Activision (don't worry, I don't buy CoD either, CoD4 was my first and last).

My thoughts.

Sony take it over and strip out 1/2 the studio.

Roll into Sony Liverpool/Evolution

WIPEOUT PS3 PROPER!

WINRAR.

Or Sony win the Euromillions, use that to buy the MSR IP off Sega, then make MSR2. Then I make sex mess everywhere.

Denzar

So which wholly owned, notable devs are left under Activisions murderous wings?

A bit of Neversoft, a bit of Infinity Ward, a bit of Raven, Treyarch and Sledgehammer?

Sean

Banned
Technosteve said:
Why did they even buy this studio? Did they really think Blur will be the next mario kart?

Activision had huge (unrealistic) hopes for Blur:

"Additionally, we expect to release our highly anticipated racing game Blur from Bizarre Creations. From a business perspective, we are targeting Blur to do for racing what Call of Duty did for shooters, and that was the goal when we originally acquired Bizarre Creations to make this game." - Michael Griffith, Activision

Rich!

Deepack said:

A bit of Neversoft, a bit of Infinity Ward, a bit of Raven, Treyarch and Sledgehammer?

bungie_logo_halo_post.png

Activision don't own Bungie (thank goodness).

Anyways, good to hear they're considering selling Bizarre. Hope someone out there wants to buy them...

edbrat

Deepack said:

theres some outfit called Blizzard kicking around as well :)

Denzar

StopMakingSense said:
He meant wholly-owned by Activision.
Indeed. Bungie is independant and has a 10 year contract...

EDIT: Shit, how could I forget about Blizzard. It's just so bizarre (no pun intended) that it's part of the same company.

123rl

Bizarre are my favourite UK developers. They made PGR/2/3/4 and GeoWars. They are brilliant...fuck you, Activision.

MS need to hire them or sign them exclusively (ala Bungie)

Superfrog said:
I don't know about the mistakes that have been made at BC, but Activision did so many things wrong with both Blur and Bond that it seems unfair of them to solely blame BC by closing or selling them.

1. The Blur concept itself was just not very appealing to many consumers. I mean, who wants to mix Mario Kart and licensed cars in a realistic setting? People had been used to either cartoony fun racers or post-apocalyptic battle racers like Twisted Metal when thinking of cars and weapons. I remember that even BC fans were extremely underwhelmed by the game during the development phase. It eventually got a little better towards the release when it became clear that BC put some extra effort and polish into Blur. I don't want to know what the quality of the game would have been if Activision hadn't given BC more development time and delayed the game. So at least the latter seems to speak for Activision, though.

2. The release date of Blur was fucked up. The decision to release almost simultanously with the only other high-profile arcade racing game at that time (Split/Second) was extremely unfortunate by both Activision and Disney.

3. The release date of Blood Stone was fucked up. To release in the same week as Black Ops is absolutely inexplicable. No matter what the actual game quality or the budget is, you don't roll out ANY of your own releases simultanously to Call of Duty. The only possible explanation I can think of is that Activision had already written off the game, made the decision to part company with BC and simply wanted to piss off BC. Nevertheless, it was a terrible decision business-wise.
Really? The only logical explanation you can think of is that they wanted to "piss off" Bizarre? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that when Activision got the Bond license and put BC to work on the game they were banking on a major motion picture release this holiday to coincide with the game and help create some built in hype and audience that would lessen the actual marketing costs to promote the game themselves.

You can't sell a dev if you fire everyone there. In the absence of Intellectual Property, Companies buy developers for people, pipelines, and tech but mostly people. Without people pipelines and tech isn't worth anything.

Really sad news, Bizarre is very talented. I do think Blur was a bit of a misstep, just a strange direction to go in that had very limited appeal. But hopefully they will all eventually land on their feet and get to work on some more great stuff.

FoneBone

Ninja Scooter said:
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that when Activision got the Bond license and put BC to work on the game they were banking on a major motion picture release this holiday to coincide with the game and help create some built in hype and audience that would lessen the actual marketing costs to promote the game themselves.
The "pissing Bizarre off" explanation is nonsense, but no, it really couldn't. Even before MGM's current financial woes, the next Bond movie wasn't planned to be out until fall 2011.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
And this is why Bobby Kotick is a shit businessman. His success is all about luck. Buy studios and franchises and try to make things stick. To hear people talk about Kotick you think they were talking about William Randolf Hearst or Richard Branson or Bill Gates or Andrew Carnegie or something. Kotick and Activision gambled on some kind of magic success with Blur and lost. The reason for this is they do not understand entertainment industries. All of their successes have happened without (and despite) their influence.

Owzers

Epcott said:
:lol Oh reaaaally now? They fired the wrong people, with expectations like that

As long as you aren't the one who has to live up to those expectations you might as well shoot for the sky.

Rhindle

Part of what's going on here is that the UK govt phased out tax subsidies for game development this year. Without the subsidies, the UK becomes a much less attractive market to operate in. The UK development community is getting decimated.

The other thing is that the sales potential for racing games declines later in the hardware generation. You can launch a new racing franchise early in a gen; thereafter the window closes. Activision's statement essentially confirms that they've reached that conclusion. Because it now looks like this hardware gen is going to drag on for several more years, there is little value in a racing game studio without an established franchise.

LCfiner

TacticalFox88 said:
WTF?! Activision has more than enough money to keep them up financially. Pieces of shit.

this is not how businesses work. it sucks but unprofitable sections of companies are not perpetually kept afloat by other segments all the time.

the only exceptions are strategic initiatives like MS with the search division currently - or their xbox division in years past

Man, my hearts go out to the Budcat people. They are really helpful and anyone would benefit from having them on their team. They did a lot of ports which is not an easy thing to do.

[Nintex]

LCfiner said:
this is not how businesses work. it sucks but unprofitable sections of companies are not perpetually kept afloat by other segments all the time.

the only exceptions are strategic initiatives like MS with the search division currently - or their xbox division in years past
I believe the exception is 99% of the gaming industry. Since companies like Sega, Namco, EA etc. would've been bankrupt already if they operated in any other industry. We've come to a point that companies like EA are celebrating 'less losses' instead of 'profit'. :lol

eso76 said:
that would be their only hope if they want to fight GT.
What a crock of shit, I played GT5 at the beginning of October- Forza 3 has nothing to worry about in terms of car handling and feel. And I hardly think Bizarre are masters of that realm anyway, they make fun cars to drive not simulations. Lots of people who played PGR4 felt it was a confused game.

ymmv

Banned
Rhindle said:
Part of what's going on here is that the UK govt phased out tax subsidies for game development this year. Without the subsidies, the UK becomes a much less attractive market to operate in. The UK development community is getting decimated.

The other thing is that the sales potential for racing games declines later in the hardware generation. You can launch a new racing franchise early in a gen; thereafter the window closes. Activision's statement essentially confirms that they've reached that conclusion. Because it now looks like this hardware gen is going to drag on for several more years, there is little value in a racing game studio without an established franchise.

Even established franchises are doing badly. PGR4 sold less than PGR3, Motorstorm 2 sold a less than the first game and I suspect Motorstorm 3 will do less than that. Every new console generation needs a few racing games but when that consumer demand has been met there's no need for more of the same - till the next console generation comes along. The problem is that this console generation will be far longer than usual - 6 or 7 years instead of the usual 5. The irony is that publishers and developers can't afford the higher development costs of the Xbox 720 and PS4, but diminishing consumer interest, diminishing sales and many, many bombas are even worse.

TwiztidElf

Screw Activitision. I'm done. Activision ban for me (that includes Blizzard dammit). I was close to getting DJ Hero 2 aswell.

I think back to the F1 licence going to Codemasters to stink it up instead of Activision picking it up and giving it to BC to do.....and shake my head in bewilderment.

LCfiner

[Nintex] said:
I believe the exception is 99% of the gaming industry. Since companies like Sega, Namco, EA etc. would've been bankrupt already if they operated in any other industry. We've come to a point that companies like EA are celebrating 'less losses' instead of 'profit'. :lol

you have a point that it happens too often, but it’s not sustainable.

Top Bottom