• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Closes Budcat; Bizarre Closing On Friday, February 18th

TacticalFox88 said:
WTF?! Activision has more than enough money to keep them up financially. Pieces of shit.
The new Activision is run by people from food and disposable goods industries. If a drink doesn't sell well? We stop selling it. Simple as that, there's no value in terms of portfolio or prestige to these people. It is all bottom line, and that is why creatives should steer clear of Activision.

And I even read the Edge interview with Kotick a month ago which painted him to be a golden child.
TwiztidElf said:
Screw Activitision. I'm done. Activision ban for me (that includes Blizzard dammit). I was close to getting DJ Hero 2 aswell.
What took you so long? Welcome to the club, Activision are the McDonalds of this industry.

Selling isn't so bad. Here's hoping someone else steps up to buy them.

Geometry Wars, BLUR, PGR... all great games.

As a celebration of Bizarre, tonight I'm going to try and break 1 billion on Pacifism mode in Geom Wars 2.

kamspy

It sucks but I kinda saw it happening once Acti bought them. I never understood the purchase considering the business model and the niche that Bizarre creates games in. It was never a good match.

Hope everyone finds a job soon. At least all the resumes should look great.

see5harp

Visualante said:
What a crock of shit, I played GT5 at the beginning of October- Forza 3 has nothing to worry about in terms of car handling and feel. And I hardly think Bizarre are masters of that realm anyway, they make fun cars to drive not simulations. Lots of people who played PGR4 felt it was a confused game.

Agreed 100%. When PGR2 came out for XBOX it was just the most fun out there aside from Rallysport Challenge. In PGR series every car really feels different without inundating casual racing with all of the tuning options that really make simulations like Forza and GT really difficult. Figuring out corners for cone gate races is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my entire life.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
see5harp said:
Agreed 100%. When PGR2 came out for XBOX it was just the most fun out there aside from Rallysport Challenge. In PGR series every car really feels different without inundating casual racing with all of the tuning options that really make simulations like Forza and GT really difficult. Figuring out corners for cone gate races is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my entire life.

Mother fucking truth.

You had to learn every inch of a fucking track to master it (dips and jumps included) and learn how to handle a specific vehicles quirks.

PGR 2 was GLORIOUS. Online it was a rabid dog fight to out drive everyone. One of the few racing games EVER where skill and finesse mattered.

Iknos

Visualante said:
What a crock of shit, I played GT5 at the beginning of October- Forza 3 has nothing to worry about in terms of car handling and feel. And I hardly think Bizarre are masters of that realm anyway, they make fun cars to drive not simulations. Lots of people who played PGR4 felt it was a confused game.

True but Bizarre are probably the only dev that come close to PD's artistic talents. T10 could use the artists that created the backgrounds for PGR3 and 4.

Very depressing news but I have to blame myself because I skipped out on Blur and I'm part of the problem so to speak. Blur was just bad timing coming out at the same time as Split Second.

kamspy said:
It sucks but I kinda saw it happening once Acti bought them.

Pretty much.

szaromir

Banned
I hope MS buys them now and turns them into PGR house and some experimental action games developer as well, would be cool to enjoy PGR5 in all the series glory done by its right creators.

Visualante said:
The new Activision is run by people from food and disposable goods industries. If a drink doesn't sell well? We stop selling it. Simple as that, there's no value in terms of portfolio or prestige to these people. It is all bottom line, and that is why creatives should steer clear of Activision.

And I even read the Edge interview with Kotick a month ago which painted him to be a golden child.

What took you so long? Welcome to the club, Activision are the McDonalds of this industry.

Companies have share holders. It absolutely sucks that Bizarre are in trouble, as I have great affection for the titles they've made over the years, but your owner isn't a charity. If your titles underperform, it becomes more and more difficult to justify investing in future games. This isn't a "fuck you, Activision!" thing specifically, it's a problem across lots of companies in lots of industries nowadays. You can't just dismiss it as "the publisher is scum".

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
butter_stick said:
Companies have share holders. It absolutely sucks that Bizarre are in trouble, as I have great affection for the titles they've made over the years, but your owner isn't a charity. If your titles underperform, it becomes more and more difficult to justify investing in future games. This isn't a "fuck you, Activision!" thing specifically, it's a problem across lots of companies in lots of industries nowadays. You can't just dismiss it as "the publisher is scum".
The problem is that its an entertainment company run by widget salespeople. There is a reason Proctor and Gamble people dont run Hollywood. When you make Ivory soap you have two things that an entertainment industry doesnt.. 1) you have a product people will buy over and over again because it eventually runs out (Tide detergent for example) and 2) a recipe for a product that needs only the manufacturing process and not the inventor (once the guys that made Clorox 2 bleach were done with formula and testing, they are pretty much done).

All entertainment, performance or creative industries are the opposite of this. The book publishing business cant just dump Stephen King after Carrie and resell Carrie a hundred different ways. They need to cultivate that talent and build on it. Doesnt matter if its books or movies or games or sports teams, businesses that are powered by talent, creation and performance cannot be run the same as widget companies with long term success.

Superfrog

Ninja Scooter said:
Really? The only logical explanation you can think of is that they wanted to "piss off" Bizarre? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that when Activision got the Bond license and put BC to work on the game they were banking on a major motion picture release this holiday to coincide with the game and help create some built in hype and audience that would lessen the actual marketing costs to promote the game themselves.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that the next Bond movie was EVER supposed to be released this holiday (despite all MGM troubles). Whatever, all that still doesn't justify to release the game stealthily and massively overshadowed by Black Ops.

I wasn't serious with my "pissing off BC" thought, by the way. That release date just seems unexplainable to me.

Instro

I read the thread title as Blizzard not Bizarre. :lol Needless to say this is pretty shitty, I hate the way Activision closes studios so often.

Slayer-33 said:
Mother fucking truth.

You had to learn every inch of a fucking track to master it (dips and jumps included) and learn how to handle a specific vehicles quirks.

PGR 2 was GLORIOUS. Online it was a rabid dog fight to out drive everyone. One of the few racing games EVER where skill and finesse mattered.

For sure. They got the balance between simulation and arcade absolutely spot on with PGR2. The cars felt so controllable and you can take them to the limit with confidence. I always thought PGR3 and 4 were classic cases of missing the point. They started to take away the slower cars (Renault Spiders around Sydney or Edinburgh were legendary in '2) and they got more realistic too; cars didn't feel as confident at speed as in PGR2 and online it was far too easy to spin people out, you simply couldn't have close races anymore and I know that it really put people off playing it.

There was a group of us who played most nights and we were so excited about launch day of 360 and PGR3, and we were a little disappointed about how the game played online. Oh well.

The Porsche 911 GT1 around in 'Ring in PGR2 was brilliant and we always finished our sessions with this setup. So much fun and thousands of hours of gaming. Historic.

see5harp

Slayer-33 said:
Mother fucking truth.

/fist bump
/we cry together

EDIT: we all cry together. people who spent the time to learn PGR2 know whats up. Even simple time trials where you are linking those perfect turns where you don't hear a peep from your tires and the vibration is an orgasmic HUMMMMMM.....I even remember playing the game with friends at launch and hating how difficult it was....hundreds of hours later we were still playing the same game.

watership

richisawesome said:
bungie_logo_halo_post.png

If Activision screws with bungie there will be BLOOD.

Superfrog

KennyLinder said:
Fuck me, getting Platinum's on those Cone Challenges was super hard :) Brilliant.
Yeah, it was incredibly challenging but also incredibly rewarding. A little bit like Trials HD - really hard but entirely up to your skills. PGR2's gameplay was flawless, a rare gem in gaming.

RayStorm

KennyLinder said:
For sure. They got the balance between simulation and arcade absolutely spot on with PGR2. The cars felt so controllable and you can take them to the limit with confidence. I always thought PGR3 and 4 were classic cases of missing the point.

The Porsche 911 GT1 around in 'Ring in PGR2 was brilliant and we always finished our sessions with this setup. So much fun and thousands of hours of gaming. Historic.

So very true. While 3 and 4 were good racers, they kind of messed a bit too much with what made PGR2 THE best online racing game. If only PGR3 had been PGR2 in prettier with additional tracks and maybe a different way of sorting cars...
I still stand by my lonesome love for Chicago at night and rain in Stingrays.

But one other great thing that got lost, not from PGR2 to PGR3 but from MSR to PGR: The lighting conditions on the track matching the actual time of the day (at the location of the race track). This, along with the radio station was just the pinnacle of single player immersion for me. Considering what could have been done with the online capabilities and including dynamic weather, streaming radio from the cities you drive in as it happens in reality... *sigh*

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Blame Bizarre, they sold the company no? besides what would have happened to them had they not been bought by Activision?

you guys are so busy hating Kotick that you ignore the Bizarre execs who probably chose to sell out. Im sure it was in the contract that this could be a possible outcome from selling the company to Activision.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I could see Microsoft creating or "partnering" with a team made up of former Bizarre guys to create XBLA games as well as the occasional PGR/racing type game. 2nd party type of arrangement.

Sean

Banned
Poimandres said:
Selling isn't so bad. Here's hoping someone else steps up to buy them.

Not trying to troll but who would even want to buy Bizarre? They aren't in control of the IP they're famous for (PGR) and all their past games (The Club, Blur, Blood Stone) have been flops.

One other strong memory I have of PGR2 is that I was working at Codemasters at the time, and we were just finishing up Colin McRae Rally 04 and Microsoft sent us a copy of PGR2 a good month before it came out. They sent it to lots of developers to show them "how to make a good online game" because obviously back then it was all new for consoles.

I remember playing it online at night along with reviewers and also some guys from the PGR2 team. I got chatting to them through the forum and they were all a really great bunch of guys who just wanted to make good video games, it was brilliant. They used to chat to us from the other side about Colin McRae Rally too and how they played it in their studio when it came out and had time trial competitions and stuff.

:(

butter_stick said:
While EA is around and doing a fine job, I can say what I want about other publishers' developer relations.

[Nintex]

open_mouth_ said:
I could see Microsoft creating or "partnering" with a team made up of former Bizarre guys to create XBLA games as well as the occasional PGR/racing type game. 2nd party type of arrangement.
I don't know why some of you think that, MS seems to want to work with new people instead.

yurinka

It sucks.

ichinisan said:
My thoughts.

Sony take it over and strip out 1/2 the studio.

Roll into Sony Liverpool/Evolution

WIPEOUT PS3 PROPER!

WINRAR.

Or Sony win the Euromillions, use that to buy the MSR IP off Sega, then make MSR2. Then I make sex mess everywhere.
Sounds good

Busty

Banned
I honestly can't get my head round the business sense in this whole sordid transaction.

Activision buy Bizarre, they then fund the studio to make two games.

Neither games sells very well. Activision loses money.

Activision then close the studio, fire all the staff and effectively erase Bizarre from existence.

So Activision are, for this whole affair, in the red for buying Activision, funding the two games, and then shuttering the studio.

Are there some prize assets (such as IP) that Activision get from nuking Bizarre that I'm not seeing.

Because all I'm seeing is another British studio turned to dust and scattered on a sea of red ink.

Red ink that is mopped up by the massive income generated by WOW that is.

Mush

Fuck you, Bobby. Blur was one of the best games to come out this year. I honestly feel sick.

Hope everyone lands on their feet. Best of luck to everyone affected. Maybe the BC guys could be picked up by Microsoft again?

Jin34

So many ppl making stupid Bungie comments, smh. What's next? EA is going to shut down Valve if they don't sell :lol

Banned
Visualante said:

Bizaare made 2 games for Activision, one which was heavily pushed and they both failed. You don't need to be a creative genius to know what is and isn't dead weight.

watership said:
If Activision screws with bungie there will be BLOOD.
Good thing they can't. Even Activision should fear the might of the Seventh Column.

On-topic: Man, this sucks. Losing your job's rough enough these days: I hope these guys get back on their feet soon. Can't say I'm surprised, though. Whenever I read "Activision" in the title of a newspost, I immediately expect something like this.

Shaneus

Damn sad to hear this. I bet when I get home the PGR4 online community will be HUGE.

Count me as one of the people praying for a PGR revival but doubtful it will ever happen. PGR4 = still the most stylish racing game ever with the best ever driving model ever.

Bizarre/PGR4Ever.

PS. Does this mean the online leaderboards for GW on iPhone will never get fixed?

FUCK YOU.

zugzug

confused said:
Please, please, please don't be true. I love BC and think they are the world's best developers when it comes to arcade racing.

Sadly I'm part of the problem as I didn't buy BLUR.

Fuck Activision

heh I bought BLUR on night before release and haven't played more than 4 hours of it. I was happy to suppot this game dev but I never got hooked into BLUR On PC missing mouse control urked me.

water_wendi said:
The problem is that its an entertainment company run by widget salespeople. There is a reason Proctor and Gamble people dont run Hollywood. When you make Ivory soap you have two things that an entertainment industry doesnt.. 1) you have a product people will buy over and over again because it eventually runs out (Tide detergent for example) and 2) a recipe for a product that needs only the manufacturing process and not the inventor (once the guys that made Clorox 2 bleach were done with formula and testing, they are pretty much done).

All entertainment, performance or creative industries are the opposite of this. The book publishing business cant just dump Stephen King after Carrie and resell Carrie a hundred different ways. They need to cultivate that talent and build on it. Doesnt matter if its books or movies or games or sports teams, businesses that are powered by talent, creation and performance cannot be run the same as widget companies with long term success.

The economy at the minute, and the massive costs associated with current gen game development, make it difficult to say "let's just keep at it till we score a hit". I understand your point, but the fact is you can't just say it's not a big deal to lose money and some guy is an asshole for deciding it's not worth the risk anymore.

Honestly, I just hope they sell Bizarre. They'll have another hit soon, and they deserve to be given that opportunity.

Bizaare made 2 games for Activision, one which was heavily pushed and they both failed. You don't need to be a creative genius to know what is and isn't dead weight.
Two people have misinterpreted my post now. I'm not trying to say Activision should have kept Bizarre, I'm simply saying they don't care about the developer as an asset to the company, they're simply producing product for them.
Josh7289 said:
Why in the world did Bungie ever join these people?
I'm guessing they saw it as a mutually beneficial relationship. Activison knew that their shooters sell, Bungie know that Activision won't directly fuck with the development of their product. To my understanding Activision are hands off, they don't say "this needs to ship now" they simply say "if it doesn't ship now, you lose your bonuses".

Vinci said:
Hmm. I only heard about it on GAF. There was a big marketing push? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly just didn't know.
i hardly watch TV, but i saw commercials when walking by other people watching TV. now, the commercial may have sucked, but it was out there.

Josh7289 said:

Because Activision have a great history releasing big, huge first person multiplayer shooters.

Activision don't own Bungie. They have nothing to lose from signing a deal with them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess my question is - why buy companies and close them when you can probably start up your own studio for much cheaper with much less risk?

I can understand buying and closing that DJ Hero clone developer, because they wanted to kill that project and not have it compete with DJ Hero... but Bizarre?

Also, I guess Code Masters doesn't have to worry about them stealing the F1 license from them. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Josh7289 said:

Honestly, I think it could have been to secure a contract for a decade of funding on a project that's not more Halo.

Microsoft's problem is that Halo is /their/ "widget". They just want more Halo Product to stock the shelves. pennyarcadebungiecarcrashcomic.jpg

So Bungie might have said to themselves "we can't stay with MS, they won't fund anything significant besides Halo."

Meanwhile, Activision is, unfortunately, big, loaded, and has a powerful marketing and distribution capability. A deal with the devil scenario, basically.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Josh7289 said:

Some combination of opportunity to go multiplatform, extend brand and IP into new markets, the expectation of stability, the possibility of working on new IP/genres, and benefiting financially through an exit.

Edit: whoops. Misread as Bizarre. Nevermind.

butter_stick said:
Because Activision have a great history releasing big, huge first person multiplayer shooters.

Activision don't own Bungie. They have nothing to lose from signing a deal with them.

I seriously doubt Activision has much financial gain in the entire relationship either. If Bungie is self funding it and retaining ownership of the IP then they are just using Activision as a publisher in the strictest sense. It is Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox.

Sean said:
Not trying to troll but who would even want to buy Bizarre? They aren't in control of the IP they're famous for (PGR) and all their past games (The Club, Blur, Blood Stone) have been flops.

Someone who recognizes they can pick up a team of talented developers presumably for a nice price?

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I guess my question is - why buy companies and close them when you can probably start up your own studio for much cheaper with much less risk?

I can understand buying and closing that DJ Hero clone developer, because they wanted to kill that project and not have it compete with DJ Hero... but Bizarre?

Also, I guess Code Masters doesn't have to worry about them stealing the F1 license from them. :p
Because making new studios is just as costly, takes longer and it's easier to sell "that game from the PGR guys" than no name franchise from brand new developer.

Top Bottom