• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Confirms CoD, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and Spider-Man Games Due in 2010

TehSw1tch

Banned
123qgpu.gif

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
SolidSnakex said:
It sold 100k+ the first month. I don't think anything was said about it afterwards. Still, the board itself is broken. Building a game around it is just going to end the same every time.

I think it is over 300k in the U.S. alone now, with the Wii version selling the most.

Lijik

bernardobri said:
It's missing the sub-title "Friend or Foe" from Spiderman, dude. :lol

I had it made up back before my account was activated when there was a thread titled "What do you expect Call of Duty 7 to be about". I'll update it with "Friend or Foe" when I get the chance :lol

GWX

ActiBlizz could release a HD remake of all the 4 Pro Skater games, but NO, they will make one more failure using that crappy peripheral that will never work no matter how good the software using it is.

:/

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Uh what happened to DJ Hero 2, the one game I actually care about from them?

J-Rzez

Strider2K99 said:
For most people, CoD has already ran into the ground.

It needs a form of massive invigoration. I mean, set in Nam wouldn't be a bad thing, calling in Napalm strikes and such would be amusing for a little, while the weaponry isn't as dated, some of it is still used, while for the majority fresh from the WWII stuff at least.

The only thing that can revive the CoD series now is a proper MMO version. They'd need to get some massive help from an experienced Blizzard team to handle itemization (as sad as that sounds lol). Maybe that's IW's next project though, as speculated. Subscription fee and all. Considering the poor SP of MW2, there really is no reason to make a MW3 at this point, and I believe IW themselves even knows this.

Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero are beyond savior though. I can't see any way to revive them at this point, and would probably be better off letting them fade into the abyss totally.

The Blizzard stuff, of course, is pure win though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VibratingDonkey said:
Where's Bond? Didn't they renew the license?
Apparently it's coming:

bfqkqp.png

Vinci said:
When was the last time that happened?
StarCraft (1998)
StarCraft: Brood War (1998)

They also had two in 1996 with Diablo and Warcraft II: Beyond The Dark Portal.

Sadist

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...k-using-ride-board-planned-for-this-year.aspx

Activision community guy Dan Amrich tweeted some details of the investor call earlier today, saying that the board itself took a long time to develop, so this year will be devoted to improving the game itself. Amrich then had some commentary to offer to critics:

"You can all just keep the TH board jokes. There's only 2 things to do: make it better or make you feel like you wasted $. I vote better."

Shapingo

Singularity wasn't canceled? Wasn't this game supposed to come out last year? I hope True Crime is good, really liked the trailer.

Ten-Song

The continued existence of Tony Hawk games only further breaks my heart each time a new one is released. If Activision REALLY has to keep pumping them out, can I at least get a port of Tony Hawk 3 on XBLA/PSN so that I can go back to remembering the days when the franchise wasn't complete and total shit?

Seeing the series as it exists now is just really fucking depressing.

I can see a Treyarch developed Vietnam CoD game actually being pretty good.

But then, I thought WaW was better than MW (campaign-wise, anyway).

Dead Man

J-Rzez said:
It needs a form of massive invigoration. I mean, set in Nam wouldn't be a bad thing, calling in Napalm strikes and such would be amusing for a little, while the weaponry isn't as dated, some of it is still used, while for the majority fresh from the WWII stuff at least.

The only thing that can revive the CoD series now is a proper MMO version. They'd need to get some massive help from an experienced Blizzard team to handle itemization (as sad as that sounds lol). Maybe that's IW's next project though, as speculated. Subscription fee and all. Considering the poor SP of MW2, there really is no reason to make a MW3 at this point, and I believe IW themselves even knows this.

Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero are beyond savior though. I can't see any way to revive them at this point, and would probably be better off letting them fade into the abyss totally.

The Blizzard stuff, of course, is pure win though.
Or they could... you know... make a good single player experience to go with the multi player. I know they won't, but it is an option, crazy as it sounds.

Nirolak said:
Apparently it's coming:

http://i50.tinypic.com/bfqkqp.png
[/QUOTE]
The world now makes sense again. But what are those two new IP's doing there?

Despite the high amount of predictable dreariness of this financial report or whatever, there's one game in that lineup I'm somewhat interested in; the True Crime reboot. Trailer looked alright.

jcm

J-Rzez said:

I know it's just video games, but I find that sentence so disturbing. I think it's because I can't think of napalm without seeing Kim Phuc in my mind.

Sorry for the downer. More Kotick and Activision bashing will cheer me up for sure.

I still find it so shocking to how fast they crashed Guitar Hero.

I always wondered what it would have been like to see the Street Fighter series go from being the biggest multiplayer game of all-time to way niche. Solely due to constantly releasing games over and over. To see one of the biggest franchises in gaming implode on itself.

And man I don't think I have to wonder anymore.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
So I recently broke 700 games across all systems.

My entire Activision collection:
Time Commando (1996) -- bought used
Zork Nemesis (1996) -- bought used
Spycraft (1996) -- bought used
Colony Wars: Vengeance (1998) -- bought used
Doom 3 Steam (2004)
The Movies (2005)
Guitar Hero 2 Bundle with Guitar (2006)
Doom XBLA (2006)

My girlfriend also owns the Kung Fu Panda Xbox 360 game, which was bought used.

*shakes head*

Stumpy, where is Bloodlines?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stumpokapow said:
So I recently broke 700 games across all systems.

My entire Activision collection:
Time Commando (1996) -- bought used
Zork Nemesis (1996) -- bought used
Spycraft (1996) -- bought used
Colony Wars: Vengeance (1998) -- bought used
Doom 3 Steam (2004)
The Movies (2005)
Guitar Hero 2 Bundle with Guitar (2006)
Doom XBLA (2006)

My girlfriend also owns the Kung Fu Panda Xbox 360 game, which was bought used.

*shakes head*

Got ya beat! I got about 300 games and the only Activision game I own is a COD4 copy given to me for free by a generous GAFfer on the dev team. Though I do wanna pick up Guardian's Crusade one of these days.

Bizzyb

Banned
I hate games that get annual releases. Don't they realize this usually diminishes the quality of the games??

Darklord

Banned
If CoD is actually in Vietnam like it has been rumoured I might be slightly interested and even then it's treyarch, might not have dedicated servers and will be the same tried gameplay as before. Other wise I couldn't give a shit about any of it.

Bizzyb

Banned
Vinci said:
Yeah, I think you're missing the point of doing it.

To run a game into the ground so freaking deep you can no longer make profits off of it due to diminishing returns?

Vinci

Danish
Bizzyb said:
To run a game into the ground so freaking deep you can no longer make profits off of it due to diminishing returns?

Are you noticing diminishing returns yet with Call of Duty? It seems to sell enormously well whether it's IW or Treyarch developed. [Hell, many on GAF swear by Treyarch.] The point is, they might as well keep doing it until it starts to actually bite them in the ass. They're not whoring it on the same level as Guitar Hero, so what's the problem?

Lijik

Segata Sanshiro said:
I wonder who's developing the Spider-Man title this year? Idiots threw away a great developer when they closed Shaba.
All signs point to Radical last I checked.

Struct09

Dupy said:
Uh what happened to DJ Hero 2, the one game I actually care about from them?

http://kotaku.com/5469007/activision-narrows-music-focus-to-guitar-and-dj-hero

Having released 25 different rhythm game SKUs in 2009, Activision narrows the focus in 2010, with only a new Guitar Hero and DJ Hero 2 slated for release in 2010.

During Activision's 2009 financial results conference call, Activision's Mike Griffith explained that while 2009 saw Activision increasing its share in the rhythm genre to 51%, the company anticipates a decline in the music game business in 2010. That having been said, the company is serious cutting back on music game releases. Activision plans only two large releases in the segment this year - DJ Hero 2, and a new Guitar Hero game - both scheduled for release towards the end of the year.

Top Bottom