• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny 2 PC version will launch late, still determining exact date

Eh, that's fine with me. Last thing I was trying to do was buy another Destiny game at launch without knowing how it's really going to turn out.

Paertan

Eh Destiny was so much better after a few patches so was gonna wait this time anyway so PC version a bit later will be perfect.

Calm Mind

I doubt Sony has anything to do with this. Did Sony stop wb from releasing injustice 2 on pc?rockstar from Gta 5 and Red Dead? Ubisoft delayed watch dogs 2 for a few weeks? These are huge publishers that Sony can't stop them from releasing a certain version. They are already getting exclusive stuff anyways so they are not paying extra to delay pc version.

This is funny because you believe this.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The wonderlust and exploring of these games is half the fun so this is very unfortunate:(

Still sounds like the best version so I'll wait...
not sure my friends will but I'll wait :'(

Welp, that delay's gonna be months and not weeks, I guarantee it.

Gonna be fantastic waiting months for patches to fix issues already taken care of on consoles, and to get content the rest of the world has already cleared fifteen times.

Yeah, if it's months, that is going to be majorly disappointing. I was going to wait for reviews to buy anyways though, so at least I will have plenty of time to consider buying or not.

I refuse to buy a console version just because the PC version is being intentionally delayed. I don't believe for one second that this is being done for anything other than greed.

jmartoine

Doesn't really matter to me that much. I was going to pick it up on PS4 anyway to play with the same people from Destiny 1, might pick up the PC version somewhere down the line.

Nokterian

I am holding off despite it coming to PC watching the raw gameplay from levelcap, i am not impressed on how it even improves on the first one to be honest.

Trace

Banned
I don't really get why they would do this. PC release day and date + cross save would get people to double dip and not piss them off at the same time.

Goldenhen

Is it safe to assume PC version is outsourcing to other third party developer since Bungie can focus simply console version?

Vuze

I refuse to buy a console version just because the PC version is being intentionally delayed. I don't believe for one second that this is being done for anything other than greed.
Oh come on, it's obvious they are doing it to give the PC version the love it deserves! good guy Acti-Blizz would never deliberately delay a game version just to get some double-dip money.
Wonder how far out they'll delay it. 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? But no cross-saves could have a negative impact on double dipping appeal.

That's a big mistake imo, I'll get the PS4 Pro version then, unless it launch very close to the console launch.

"That's a big mistake, I'll give you $60 for it."

Doesn't seem like a mistake for them lol. As for me I can wait 3 months for better controls, graphics, framerate.

They know people will double dip.

I don't think people would double dip for this kind of game. Trading all progress after the crazy amount of time you've spent over the past couple months to get your character as it is today for better visual and framerates on PC is totally not worth it. At least for me.

I'm calling that this is 100% a deliberate move to make sure PC sales don't take a bite out of console sales. I don't believe for a second that the game needs more time in the oven compared to PS/Xbox versions, especially when all of the networking/social features are using pre-existing Blizzard systems. Everyone who played the PC version at today's event said it was smooth as fuck and felt great.

Seems like a really boneheaded move, especially with how many PC gamers are frothing at the mouth to finally play Destiny. This could potentially kill a lot of the momentum it has on the platform.

Tecnniqe

Banned
"That's a big mistake, I'll give you $60 for it."

Doesn't seem like a mistake for them lol. As for me I can wait 3 months for better controls, graphics, framerate.
lol that's pretty much it. If they delay it for these monetary reasons then they succeeded because nobody can wait so might as well give them $120 and season passes and online fees.

But you made a mistake Acti, YOU HEAR ME!?

erawsd

I don't think people would double dip for this kind of game. Trading all progress after the crazy amount of time you've spent over the past couple months to get your character as it is today for better visual and framerates on PC is totally not worth it. At least for me.

I agree, I cant imagine there is many people who would make that move. That would be a much stronger argument if the game was platform agnostic.

Instead, my guess is that launching in the fall on console is important to them, and they are shoving the PC version aside to accomplish that.

Shinjica

I'm calling that this is 100% a deliberate move to make sure PC sales don't take a bite out of console sales. I don't believe for a second that the game needs more time in the oven compared to PS/Xbox versions, especially when all of the networking/social features are using pre-existing Blizzard systems. Everyone who played the PC version at today's event said it was smooth as fuck and felt great.

Seems like a really boneheaded move, especially with how many PC gamers are frothing at the mouth to finally play Destiny. This could potentially kill a lot of the momentum it has on the platform.

My opinion as well

Water

Not really. No one wants to join a fresh community at launch with people importing saves with the game completed.

Eh, that's exactly the experience the majority of players gets since they don't buy the game on launch day. If it was actually a problem, fresh and old characters could easily be segregated for a bit of time around launch.

Cross play would be best, but in its absence, I don't understand why they wouldn't do cross saves. This way you are guaranteed to be separated from friends who happen to start playing on another platform, without even the option to double dip.

I don't suppose this will have splitscreen MP either. I understand Destiny 1 didn't have it because the devs wanted every player to have freedom to go to whatever area while grouped, but PCs have the power to run even two completely independent game instances side by side so it shouldn't be a problem.

PC being delayed won't effect me too much. Considering I'm just not going to buy the game if they can't learn how to use dedicated servers. Not going to play "How long can my opponent kill me after I have already killed him" mode anymore.

Two Words

But they make more money from each pc copy sold than console. On pc, they own the distribution platform.

Top Bottom