• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Q2 FY12: MW2 = 22M/BLOPS = 25M; WoW Loses 300,000 Subs; 900,000 Lost Total

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
perfectnight said:
I'm just glad that they are losing people, at all. Maybe it will make them finally show us something about that new MMO :p
They intend to show it at the Blizzcon after this one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
perfectnight said:
I'm just glad that they are losing people, at all. Maybe it will make them finally show us something about that new MMO :p
Blizzcon this year.

Kalnos

Banned
This BlizzCon Blizzard is going to announce the Panda expansion that will signify WoW jumping the shark.
KuGsj.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Painraze said:
They aren't going to show Titan this year. This year will be all about Diablo 3, Heart of the Swarm and a new WoW expansion.
Already? They haven't even talked about 4.3 (Deathwing) yet... not happening bro.

World of Warcraft is likely losing users to League of Legends. Even still, it has a ridiculous number of subscribers. I just wish it never existed so we could have gotten a proper Warcraft 4.

Randomizer

Interesting, so the worst COD to date is the best selling and people were starting to think franchise fatigue was setting in lol.

subversus said:
I remember people were arguing that SMB can outsell MW and BLOPS. lol

Seriously! Almost 50 million between 2 games released a year apart. God damn, activision have really hit the lottery with this franchise.

Mr. Serious Business said:
World of Warcraft is likely losing users to League of Legends. Even still, it has a ridiculous number of subscribers. I just wish it never existed so we could have gotten a proper Warcraft 4.

I think that's a fair guess. The market is heavily moving towards the F2P model and WoW is an archaic MMO in more ways than one. They can only polish something so old, so much.

Alex

Nothing in the Cata beta would have shown off the issues with the expansion, the beta was mostly great. The primary concern with Cataclysm is that the huge revamp of Azeroth, which had very limited use for a seven year old MMO, took gigantic swaths of development time away from more meaningful types of content.

New Azeroth is really nice and all, but it was so much work and so much content just to redo the initial levels of an older game. So much of the landscape redone, like 6 or 7 hours of music, probably well over a thousand quests. All of that, and most of it was probably not touched by a towering majority of the playerbase.

They're still struggling to keep up even now, it's a problem with their consume and dispose-of type game model, they need significantly more in the way of addons and patches than most competitors.

I think they'll pick themselves back up a bit with the next expansion, but I also think they could really stand to look into content models that are a little more player-sustained and reusable. It'd save them a lot of grey hairs.

bill0527

Holy fucking shit, I just got banned from the WoW forums for posting the following (and I only posted it once).

Origination:
Forums / Comments
Ban type: Spamming / Trolling
Expires: Saturday, August 6, 2011 2:20:58 PM PDT (in 2 days, 23 hours)
Ban Reason: 24 hour suspension from the World of Warcraft forums for spamming the forums.

By: Hartdor, L85 Troll Hunter, <Asoraya>, Area 52
Forum > General Discussion
Thread Title: 900,000 subs lost ActiBlizz conf. call
Reply #1
Timestamp:

Aug 3, 2011 2:10:38 PM
Down to 11.1 million, lol.I just saw their financial chart for their fiscal year that just ended.Total subscription revenue has skyrocketed, but its based on increases in PS3 and Xbox 360 subscription revenue.PC game revenue has pretty much flatlined only posting a 1% increase over the previous year. The kicker though is that WoW released an expansion this fiscal year. One would assume that PC subscription revenue would have a healthy increase over the previous fiscal year, yet that was not the case. There was very little, if any, Cataclysm bump.

Yoshichan

bill0527 said:
Holy fucking shit, I just got banned from the WoW forums for posting the following (and I only posted it once).
That's embarrassing.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
Already? They haven't even talked about 4.3 (Deathwing) yet... not happening bro.

Disagree. There will be concept art, info and possibly a name revealed at Blizzcon.

ElRenoRaven

So WOW continues to lose subscribers. Can't say that's surprising. We've without a doubt entered the decline phase it seems.

Home

Mr. Serious Business said:

I'm not so sure about that. Many of my friends who play LoL still play WoW quite often. When I quit WoW my go to game became LoL, but I quit because of poor content release dates, not a competing game.

Yoshichan

Painraze said:
Disagree. There will be concept art, info and possibly a name revealed at Blizzcon.
It'll be interesting nonetheless.

Kalnos

Banned
WoW is losing users because of its age and lack of content updates I'd say (though I personally have disliked the direction of the game post-TBC).

Randomizer

Darkshier said:
COD 3 is Black Ops now?

I was referring to the games after COD 4's change of direction for the series. I have never played COD 3 but have heard bad things about it, if its worse than Black Ops then it must be really terrible.

Home said:
I'm not so sure about that. Many of my friends who play LoL still play WoW quite often. When I quit WoW my go to game became LoL, but I quit because of poor content release dates, not a competing game.

DOTA was insanely popular among the WC3 community, and the fact that LoL is free is likely making it an attractive option to many people (especially with the continuing economic difficulties). The ridiculous numbers of LoL players means there's plenty of overlap between the two userbases, so it's probable that a good portion of people are just making the switch.

TacticalFox88 said:
Deserved sales for BO. After the trainwreck that was MW2 it's nice that the game has few problems in MP outside of lag and netcode.
Black ops is garbage compared to MW2. Unfinished crap and they just copy what iw does all the time.

WoW is losing users because it's 6 years old and has had poor PVP balance and end game raid content since the Cata launch. I'd also argue that they have streamlined the game too much to the point where it's no longer interesting, but that's just a personal issue with the game.

LoL probably is stealing customers away from WoW, along with other F2P games. It's a very different world out there nowadays.

Randomizer said:
I was referring to the games after COD 4's change of direction for the series. I have never played COD 3 but have heard bad things about it, if its worse than Black Ops then it must be really terrible.

TBH CoD3 is in the same vein as the terrible PS2/xbox spinoffs. Absolutely the worst entry in the main CoD series.

Acerac

Banned
Lothars said:
Until the next expansion.
I was one of those waiting rabidly for cata to hit. I won't touch WoW again.

Blizzard's excessive milking of the franchise is more damaging than you assume.

StevieP

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
Black ops is garbage compared to MW2. Unfinished crap and they just copy what iw does all the time.

Both games are garbage. Modern Warfare and even WaW were both better.

Which one made more money though? Mario Kart with its higher sales or Black Ops with its sales + DLC? Surely it has to be Black Ops right?

Extra Wii wheels? Not to mention the large disparity between development costs of the two.

Shalashaska161 said:
WoW is losing users because it's 6 years old and has had poor PVP balance and end game raid content since the Cata launch. I'd also argue that they have streamlined the game too much to the point where it's no longer interesting, but that's just a personal issue with the game.

LoL probably is stealing customers away from WoW, along with other F2P games. It's a very different world out there nowadays.

Yep. They aren't even in the same genre but you have to remember that LoL is a free, unique and extremely accessible game with CONSTANT content updates and a huge community. Those are some very nice qualities that you don't find in many online games.

Yoshichan

Acerac said:

Continuing on with the (lol) lore and entertaining 10 million people with expansion packs is milking?

Lothars

Acerac said:

It depends on what you classify as milking, releasing an expansion every two years is not milking.

Lothars

Syphon Filter said:
I agree but both games are not very good at all especially compared to MW.

Syphon Filter said:
Holy shit. Where to begin.
Black Ops Removed Stopping Power
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Balanced the Perks (Pain in the ass to get the Pros, but Whatevs)
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
Killstreaks aren't extremely overpowered
Airstreaks aren't CONSTANTLY in the air
There's a counter and a weakness to EVERYTHING
Shotguns are now primary instead of secondary
No tactical knife

The list goes on and on. The only thing MW2 does better than Black Ops is that the Single Player is far better. Not the story mind you, but the missions themselves.

Deadbeat

Banned
Do DS sales of Black Ops count towards the total even though its a completely different game? Because if so, and you consider the wii release as well, it might appear that COD sales might have been lower than MW2 if it werent for those two platforms.
TacticalFox88 said:
The only thing MW2 does better than Black Ops is that the Single Player is far better.
MW2 looks and runs much better on all three platforms.

bill0527

Lothars said:
It depends on what you classify as milking, releasing an expansion every two years is not milking.

Milking is when you decide to add new features to the game, but make everyone pay for them on top of the subscription fee. Blizzard is full-on in that mode right now.

As for new free content, they are giving the absolute bare minimum right now. More fetch/kill quests, but you have to do them all for 30 days before you can access the new stuff, plus the incessant recycling/re-tuning of old content instead of coming up with something new.

Top Bottom