• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Q2 FY12: MW2 = 22M/BLOPS = 25M; WoW Loses 300,000 Subs; 900,000 Lost Total

Evlar

Banned
bill0527 said:
Milking is when you decide to add new features to the game, but make everyone pay for them on top of the subscription fee. Blizzard is full-on in that mode right now.

As for new free content, they are giving the absolute bare minimum right now. More fetch/kill quests, but you have to do them all for 30 days before you can access the new stuff, plus the incessant recycling/re-tuning of old content instead of coming up with something new.
There was a point in time when EverQuest was coming out with paid expansions once every six months. That continued for six years.

TacticalFox88 said:
Holy shit. Where to begin.
Black Ops Removed Stopping Power
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Balanced the Perks (Pain in the ass to get the Pros, but Whatevs)
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
Killstreaks aren't extremely overpowered
Airstreaks aren't CONSTANTLY in the air
There's a counter and a weakness to EVERYTHING
Shotguns are now primary instead of secondary
No tactical knife

The list goes on and on. The only thing MW2 does better than Black Ops is that the Single Player is far better. Not the story mind you, but the missions themselves.

I agree, I believe BlackOps was the better game(comparing to MW2) on paper but the freaking net code is just awful but yea both are worse than MW though to me BO is closer to MW than MW2 is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TacticalFox88 said:
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
No tactical knife

The list goes on and on. The only thing MW2 does better than Black Ops is that the Single Player is far better. Not the story mind you, but the missions themselves.

Don't forget the entire zombie mode.

Acerac

Banned
Lothars said:
It depends on what you classify as milking, releasing an expansion every two years is not milking.
I played the game to raid/pvp. The releases on both these fronts has been lackluster at best.

19 & 21 said:
Until WoW 2.
If you say so. I'm done subscribing to Blizzard games.

Yoshichan said:
Continuing on with the (lol) lore and entertaining 10 million people with expansion packs is milking?
No, heavily reduced customer service with sparse raids is milking.

I do however agree with you on the healing thing. It was way more fun this expansion.

*Edit*

Oh, and fuck the new talent trees. My spriest has less options now than he did at 80. Why are we not allowed a silence in PvE without gimping our DPS? I'm sure us having an interrupt on a 30 second CD was game breaking somehow.

I played Black Ops on PS3 which had some issues, and it's still the far better game than MW2. TacticalFox mentioned most of the reasons, but I'll also throw in map design. Infinity Ward has little concept of it.

I'm curious as to when COD will peak. It will inevitably happen, should be interesting to see MW3 sales.

Alex

I'd also argue that they have streamlined the game too much to the point where it's no longer interesting, but that's just a personal issue with the game.

There has been a lot of good streamlining when it came to parts of class design, removing time sinks, letting people get right into what they want to do quickly and efficiently, and making the whole experience flow better and easier to jump into patch to patch, the genre needed a lot of that and WoW did some good work.

Then there was also a lot of very terrible streamlining that basically took the world right out of the game post-leveling and created a ridiculous emphasis on finite, instanced content, and really removed a fair chunk of charm in general. Double edged swords like the dungeon finder and over-emphasis on flying mounts also did more damage than a smarter alternative would have likely done, as well.

dLMN8R

The amazing thing about WoW that no one seems to mention is that it's not like the game has 11-some million subscribers that's it. Even at it's peak of 13 million players, that doesn't tell the whole story.

No, what people don't seem to remember to mention is the millions upon millions of people who bought the game and don't play it anymore. That is not a bad thing. $60 per person for all of those copies sold at first, more at $20-30, etc.

World of Warcraft is probably one of the best selling games of all times, one of the biggest money makers of all times, without even considering subscriptions. It has doubtlessly outsold every single Call of Duty game. 30-40 million copies sold for World or Warcraft probably isn't at all outside of feasibility.

Acerac said:
I was one of those waiting rabidly for cata to hit. I won't touch WoW again.

Blizzard's excessive milking of the franchise is more damaging than you assume.

I can't say it was "milking" because they added tons of new content ... they just kept adding things that made it a grind and less of an adventure like it used to be.

Plus, it's almost 7 years old .. and for an MMO with a persistent world still keeping people coming back, that's an accomplishment. It had a good run but it's slowly coming to an end.

dLMN8R said:
... $60 per person for all of those copies sold at first, more at $20-30, etc.

It released at $49.99 but I agree, it was a cash cow.

Zzoram

dLMN8R said:
The amazing thing about WoW that no one seems to mention is that it's not like the game has 11-some million subscribers that's it. Even at it's peak of 13 million players, that doesn't tell the whole story.

No, what people don't seem to remember to mention is the millions upon millions of people who bought the game and don't play it anymore. That is not a bad thing. $60 per person for all of those copies sold at first, more at $20-30, etc.

World of Warcraft is probably one of the best selling games of all times, one of the biggest money makers of all times, without even considering subscriptions. It has doubtlessly outsold every single Call of Duty game. 30-40 million copies sold for World or Warcraft probably isn't at all outside of feasibility.

Ya I bet WoW has sold something ridiculous, way beyond what it's peak concurrent subscription numbers were.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
19 & 21 said:
A very small, microscopic minority you're in. We both know WoW 2 is going to sell insanely well despite how badly they fuck up WoW right now.

There is no WoW 2.

flyinpiranha said:
Plus, it's almost 7 years old .. and for an MMO with a persistent world still keeping people coming back, that's an accomplishment. It had a good run but it's slowly coming to an end.

You cannot factor age into the possibility of an MMO dying.

I thought Asheron's Call would have died in 2005 if I had to guess, and while the numbers I'm sure are absolutely terrible it's still going.

I'm sure World of Warcraft five years from now will still have well over 100,000 subscribers. Is that enough for Blizzard to maintain it? I don't know.

Zzoram

Kintaro said:
There is no WoW 2.

Maybe they'll update the game world to improve the graphics over time or something, so they never have to make a WoW2, but can morph WoW into a better looking version of itself.

Kintaro said:
There is no WoW 2.
IcK5o.png

Impeccable said:
You cannot factor age into the possibility of an MMO dying.

I thought Asheron's Call would have died in 2005 if I had to guess, and while the numbers I'm sure are absolutely terrible it's still going.

I'm sure World of Warcraft five years from now will still have well over 100,000 subscribers. Is that enough for Blizzard to maintain it? I don't know.

I don't know if it will "die" .. they might keep servers up, but do you think a fraction of the subs they have now will keep Blizzard and their team churning out upgrades?

I'm sure as long as they are making money the servers will be up. But I think age is a huge factor. People want to move on and will.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zzoram said:
Maybe they'll update the game world to improve the graphics over time or something, so they never have to make a WoW2, but can morph WoW into a better looking version of itself.
Wouldn't be worth the effort. They could barely be assed to update the old world as it was before Cataclysm.

Acerac

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
I can't say it was "milking" because they added tons of new content ... they just kept adding things that made it a grind and less of an adventure like it used to be.

It released at $49.99 but I agree, it was a cash cow.
I guess I was spoiled by playing the game during BC. Awesome customer service, tons of varied and challenging environments for raids, it was good times!

Beating a boss on heroic doesn't have the same thrill for me. It doesn't unlock any new encounters or anything awesome I've never seen before. It just gives better loot to crush another boss I've already beaten on an easier difficulty.

19 & 21 said:
A very small, microscopic minority you're in. We both know WoW 2 is going to sell insanely well despite how badly they fuck up WoW right now.
Oh yeah, people will buy games even if the quality drops. See the discussion about blops in this thread.

Quite a shame, that. Devs might care more about their game's quality if it mattered more when it came to sales.

Kintaro: Pretend he said Titan. That's what I did. ;)

Dance In My Blood said:
Wouldn't be worth the effort. They could barely be assed to update the old world as it was before Cataclysm.
In all fairness it was one hell of an update. Punching Deathwing in the mouth is good times.

f0rk

Is it just the end game thats messed up in WoW now? Considered playing again just 1-60 to see what's new in the world.

FLEABttn

Banned
Alex said:
Blizzard needs to learn when to tune the entitled idiots out.

Sorry, I like my games fun. WotLK was the high mark. Cata was a return to the dark ages. You can disagree, which you clearly do, but I can (and did) cancel. Blizz can go panic for a year while they try to make a game I want to play again, which they likely will with their next expac given that they're bleeding subs.

wrowa

Enlighten me, what is so bad with Cataclysm? I'm no WoW player myself, but I remember that prior to the release Cata was hyped as a "revolution" or "relaunch" of WoW. What happened? A link would be very nice.

Acerac

Banned
f0rk said:
Is it just the end game thats messed up in WoW now? Considered playing again just 1-60 to see what's new in the world.
The new 1-60 is pretty cool if that's your sorta thing. For those who've not burnt out on the leveling process I'd suggest checking it out. Don't forget to queue for the redesigns of SFK and DM. :)

It was the only thing they did right with the expansion in my eyes.

Duxxy3

They're still going to lose more subs. A year from now i bet it will be well under 10 million subs.

bill0527

wrowa said:
Enlighten me, what is so bad with Cataclysm? I'm no WoW player myself, but I remember that prior to the release Cata was hyped as a "revolution" or "relaunch" of WoW. What happened? A link would be very nice.

The beginning of Cataclysm seperated the men from the boys so to speak.

It was tough and challenging, but it came out right on the heels of the last expansion which was not very challenging and more accessible to people who just weren't very good at the game.

You had a player base that was tuned to easy content and quick, easy rewards.

Then Blizzard hit the reset button with Cataclysm and many people just didn't like it.

Raiding used to be accessible to everyone in Wrath, and then it was not accessible to everyone in Cataclysm. People got upset because they had to guild hop to find better players and leave behind people they had played with for a long time, even though they weren't very good.

They lowered the difficulty eventually, and people got geared up to make most of the content trivial, but Cataclysm was brutally hard for the average player in the beginning so a lot of people quit.

Not to mention it would take a long time to run content in the beginning of the xpac. People got used to the 15-20 minute dungeon run in Wrath and then it went to anywhere upwards of 2 hours for a dungeon run at the beginning of Cata.

Plus the community is very toxic at this point in the game's life cycle. Nobody has any patience to teach new people stuff they've been doing for years.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zzoram said:

Considering how subpar Diablo 3 looks graphically? BWAHAHAHA. That will never happen.

More than likely? WoW will end up f2p at some point...exactly the way it looks now.

Alex

FLEABttn said:
Sorry, I like my games fun. WotLK was the high mark. Cata was a return to the dark ages. You can disagree, which you clearly do, but I can (and did) cancel. Blizz can go panic for a year while they try to make a game I want to play again, which they likely will with their next expac given that they're bleeding subs.

If you like what LK offered to WoW in terms of insipid, effortless treadmills for the sake of chasing carrots you don't need, then you'd probably like the current state of Cataclysm. It is entirely back to the slums in that regard. I don't think you can wipe in a heroic even if you tried anymore. You can sit back, do nothing, and clap while the item level gauge goes up.

I am entirely in favor of less timesinks and reasonable lengths for content, but I also want some tension and challenge out of my games, and you cannot get that out of pre-raid WoW anymore, which is saddening to me.

It's also a shame how toxic it has made the community. WoW has never had a good community, but as someone stated, everyone is so impatient and entitled now, if they're not being force-fed epics and achievements nowadays they're smoldering little balls of rage.

More than likely? WoW will end up f2p at some point...exactly the way it looks now.

I don't know, they have 11 million people paying them a subscription at the halfway point of an expansion that the know they fucked up with, I want them to take a boot to the teeth and shake things up a little but I think folks are gravely overestimating the damage this is going to do to the game.

I think their growth is done, but I also think they'll manage to recover in the end, at least for awhile.

Acerac

Banned
wrowa said:
I'm sure I'll forget some, but here are a few things that made cata even less fun than Wrath:

-Combining 10 and 25 man raid lockouts killed pugging on most servers.

-Rated battlegrounds. Such an awesome idea with piss poor implementation.

-Shrinking the talent trees made it so options were taken away from classes. As I mentioned earlier, my shadow priest had more options at 80 than at 85.

-Crappy release schedule. Raids were promised at the last Blizzcon that still haven't come to pass. Can't wait for that Abyssal Maw raid.

Just off the top of my head.
Alex said:
If you like what LK offered to WoW in terms of insipid, effortless treadmills for the sake of chasing carrots you don't need, then you'd probably like the current state of Cataclysm. It is entirely back to the slums in that regard. I don't think you can wipe in a heroic even if you tried anymore. You can sit back, do nothing, and clap while the item level gauge goes up.

I am entirely in favor of less timesinks and reasonable lengths for content, but I also want some tension and challenge out of my games, and you cannot get that out of pre-raid WoW anymore, which is saddening to me.
Ooh, I forgot, the difficulty in heroics was pretty cool when the expansion came out! So that was two things that I liked about Cata.

You say that has since been removed?

Huh. =/

FLEABttn said:
I liked the idea of harder heroics. I really did. And when we were doing them in guild, they were fun, but if you pugged 1 or 2 people, you might as well lube up cause you're up for a 2 hour fucking. 2 hours in Grim Batol with 2 bosses dead is enough to drive anyone crazy.
By fire... be... BURNED!

The extreme difficulty of that encounter made him all the more awesome. That bastard devoured pugs. Good shit.

TacticalFox88 said:
Amazing what one franchise can do for a company.
I'd say two franchises.

It is amazing . . . they haven't had a hit new product in many months yet the money pours in from CoD map-packs and WoW subscriptions.

It is a little suspicious though . . . how can they get all that money from just Wow and CoD map-packs . . . especially if they are losing WoW subscriptions.

Hmm . . .

FLEABttn

Banned
Alex said:
If you like what LK offered to WoW in terms insipid, effortless treadmills for the sake of chasing carrots you don't need, then you'd probably like the current state of Cataclysm. It is entirely back to the slums in that regard. I don't think you can wipe in a heroic even if you tried anymore. You can sit back, do nothing, and clap while the item level gauge goes up.

I am entirely in favor of less timesinks and reasonable lengths for content, but I also want some tension and challenge out of my games, and you cannot get that out of pre-raid WoW, which is saddening.

I liked the idea of harder heroics. I really did. And when we were doing them in guild, they were fun, but if you pugged 1 or 2 people, you might as well lube up cause you're up for a 2 hour fucking. 2 hours in Grim Batol with 2 bosses dead is enough to drive anyone crazy.

That said, I still wouldn't like Cata now as the first three months managed to get my entire guild minus 2 or 3 people to cancel. I'm faced transferring off Drenden (whose population has halved since 2009), pugging more heroics until I can break into a guild who can actually field the people require to form a raid, then guild hop until I find a guild good enough.

Blizz is going to have to drop some sweet, sweet candy in order to make the game palatable again. And plump furries isn't it.

Alex

FLEABttn said:

That said, I still wouldn't like Cata now as the first three months managed to get my entire guild minus 2 or 3 people to cancel. I'm faced transferring off Drenden (whose population has halved since 2009), pugging more heroics until I can break into a guild who can actually field the people require to form a raid, then guild hop until I find a guild good enough.

I will agree with length, heroics are uneven in terms of them, Grim Batol and Halls of Origination were ridiculously long by comparison to the rest.

Still, it's not to hard to find a decent guild nowadays, the guild finder they built in is pretty nice too, I wouldn't go back though because if you've already played launch Cataclysm then you've seen 90% of it. Content has been ridiculously slow.

I really wonder what Cata would be like if Azeroth was simply tuned up and the effort was spent on new and different content rather than a gargantuan overhaul of two continents that barely anyone has use for.

bill0527

speculawyer said:
I'd say two franchises.

It is amazing . . . they haven't had a hit new product in many months yet the money pours in from CoD map-packs and WoW subscriptions.

It is a little suspicious though . . . how can they get all that money from just Wow and CoD map-packs . . . especially if they are losing WoW subscriptions.

Hmm . . .

Overall WoW revenue is up because they include revenue from boxed sales of Cataclysm in that number. There was no expansion to include in the last fiscal year. They also include all value-added services you can buy in addition to your subscription. Stuff like shiny new mounts you can buy, paid character transfers, paid name changes, etc. And more of this kind of stuff is coming. The milking of the hardcores has begun. People who cannot or will not break away from the game for any reason - Blizzard found a way to offset decreasing subscriber revenue by milking those people with micro transactions.

Blops 25m is interesting to me because based on an armchair look at EU/USA sales numbers I figured that title must be near 30 million shipped, and what a flashy round number that would be to announce. But obviously turns out they're not there.

Essentially, it's been obvious to me for a while now that gaming is dominated by two MMO's. On the PC side WoW, and on the console side, Call of Duty. It's pretty simple.

EA probably caters more to my tastes in making a bigger variety of one off single player games, stuff like Crysis 2 for example, but I really kind of suspect in the end Activision might have the better strategy (for profitability, not my interest, as I'm not exactly a big COD fan) by focusing more on turning COD into even more of a subscription based MMO, and otherwise focusing on online. People dont like to admit it but I suspect Activision might be the smarter company of the two looking to the future. Contrary to the conventional "milking milking lol guitar hero lol Activision" around here.

Anyways that banned sales site has MW3 preorders way above BLOPS so far, and I'm certain that will be the case simply because of the return to the more modern theater/Modern Warfare name alone. People buy the off year COD's but what they really WANT is the MW's. So I suspect MW3 is going to do scary numbers. Also from what I've seen the graphics look pretty great and in the end I wouldn't be surprised if they give BF3 graphics on console a run, contrary to everybodies assumption based on the BF3 PC footage. Of course I still hate COD's scripted, linear, always at 11 campaign gameplay personally.

Also like to point out that despite the claims of the masses that COD's yearly "milking" will destroy the franchise, year after year each iteration seems to sell better than the last, so year after year those people are wrong. They might/will most likely get it right by accident EVENTUALLY, of course, but they sure will have been wrong for a long time. I also saw where Dice said that they definitely will not do yearly Battlefields, and I also think that could hurt them. This year we get the big BF vs MW showdown, but already next year BF wont show up? That will probably hurt them quite frankly and prevent them from gaining franchise momentum.

JWong

Banned
So this means once Battlefield is done raping CoD, Activision will go bankrupt and Blizzard will be free of its oppressors?

/dreams

Randomizer said:
Interesting, so the worst COD to date is the best selling and people were starting to think franchise fatigue was setting in lol.

No, MW2 is at 22 million.

Black Ops outsold it and is at 25 million.

Sober

Acerac said:
Ooh, I forgot, the difficulty in heroics was pretty cool when the expansion came out! So that was two things that I liked about Cata.

You say that has since been removed?
To be fair, even before they nerfed alot of it, it was pretty easy as long as you knew the fights and had enough blue gear (even non-heroic). A few you had to have a decent comp or you would make it hard. Tons of people got their heroic dungeon drakes a few months in. I know cause being MT for the guild I had to help 20 some odd people who wanted it every week.

But I left before 4.1 or whatever added the troll dungeons, so if they nerfed it even more between then, jeez louise. I thought the string of nerfs they did prior to February were more than enough, but I guess not.

LQX

TacticalFox88 said:
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
No tactical knife

At the end of the day MW2 still felt and played better which outweighs all of that. It even looked and ran better on PC.

Acerac said:
I guess I was spoiled by playing the game during BC. Awesome customer service, tons of varied and challenging environments for raids, it was good times!

I always find MMO communities fascinating. When BC was drawing to a close, everyone agreed BC was garbage and Wrath was going to pull up the game.

Then the exact same thing happened when Wrath was drawing to a close. With MMO players, it's always: The thing I'm playing right now is garbage. The thing I played 3 years ago was the good old days, and the thing coming up is going to blow everyone's minds. Happens every time.

Though I think Cataclysm has worn out its welcome really fast. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not just the slowness of content release, since that's always been the case. Between 3.3 and Cata there was basically 0 new stuff for a whole year, and yet subs went up to 12 million...and Wrath launched with an old redone raid (Naxx) and a couple of 25 man single-boss fights.

The game is just really showing its age. I think I also agree about the streamlining bit. They basically streamlined the game so much you could see the underlying MMO skinner box a little too well. The whole game was better when it was just a theme park world and not a teleport-to-dungeon-collect-badge game.

At the same time, 11 million people are still playing it. This thing is going to take forever to die.

Interfectum

Alex said:
I don't know, they have 11 million people paying them a subscription at the halfway point of an expansion that the know they fucked up with, I want them to take a boot to the teeth and shake things up a little but I think folks are gravely overestimating the damage this is going to do to the game.

I think their growth is done, but I also think they'll manage to recover in the end, at least for awhile.

I dunno... WoW is starting to bleed western consumers and this is without any real competition. TOR is really going to take a huge bite out of that userbase, I suspect.

My biggest problems with Cataclysm? They changed the game enough for it to feel alien to me but not enough to make it feel fresh... if that makes any sense. Also, they dumbed the game down so much that I've lost any attachment to my characters. They hand loot and achievements out like candy so any "badges of honor" you have pretty much mean shit because everyone has hundreds themselves. I could delete every character I have right now, start over and be back up to speed in a month.

Also one of the big reasons I got into WoW in the first place was I loved Warcraft 3 / Frozen Throne. I couldn't wait to level up my WoW character to eventually fight Arthas. After they completely ruined his character during the course of Wrath i started losing interest in the story... and how they killed eventually him was pathetic and felt more like fanfic than professional writing. I know Arthas was a cliche LotR / Star Wars archetype but him being a looming threat in the game, hearing inklings of his eventual return really got me interested in the overall story... possibly due to my attachment to Warcraft 3. With him gone I really don't care as much.

Card Boy

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
No tactical knife

Despite that list MW2 is actually fun compared to Black Ops. Black Ops is only good for Nuketown.

Interfectum

In terms of WoW losing another 300k subs... it's not surprising and it will continue. I fully expect it to dip below 10 million next year and shortly after that Blizzard will enhance the "Free 2 Play" version as well as change the way they count active subscribers.

My crystal ball has spoken.

faridmon

Black OPS was the first CoD game I ever played so no wonder it outsold MW2. Bots sold me to it.
Gez said:
Despite that list MW2 is actually fun compared to Black Ops. Black Ops is only good for Nuketown.
Nice one. You actually told me its fun because all of those terrible features it has over Black OPS. Thanks man.

TacticalFox88 said:
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
No tactical knife

It's funny, I totally agree that these things you mention aren't balanced, but I liked almost all of them and their removal was why BO disspointed me so much.

But then I wasn't looking for a competitive tournament shooter, I was just looking to have some ridiculous fun.

Top Bottom