• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Q2 FY12: MW2 = 22M/BLOPS = 25M; WoW Loses 300,000 Subs; 900,000 Lost Total

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Theres a lot of problems with Cataclysm. One of the main ones is that there isnt much new to do at 85. Most of the content that Cataclysm brought (a new world to level in) is something you really only see if you are leveling a new character.

There were new factions to earn reputation with but it was the same old shit thats been around forever.. compare to TBC where you had to choose to ally with one faction while making an enemy of another.

There was also less of everything compared to the other expansions except for raids. The problem with Dungeons and Raids at Catas launch was the difficulty and changes to how your character worked. i dont mind challenge. HOWEVER, when success or failure depends on randoms in the Dungeon Finder it doesnt matter how good you are if your group isnt Johnny on the Spot you wipe. Staying in a dungeon for 20-30 wipes for 3-4 hours while DPS is constantly blaming heals and tank is not fun. Perhaps if i were doing guild runs things would be different but i wasnt so that was my experience. It was also not fun going from healing for more and for much longer at 80 than at 85. It feels good to progress as you.. well, progress. Going backwards kills enthusiasm.

Heirlooms destroying sub-80 pvp and leveling is another big one.

Tons of other stuff but its all been said before.

StevieP

Banned
LQX said:
At the end of the day MW2 still felt and played better which outweighs all of that. It even looked and ran better on PC.

Looked and ran better. Until you took it online and realized they had the shit-ass console peer-to-peer matchmaking system from Live/PSN in place and that your hit detection was entirely bullshit as a result, while trudging through lag. Black Ops sucked complete ass (18 person limit for ranked dedicated servers? FU!), but MW2 sucked worse.

water_wendi said:
Theres a lot of problems with Cataclysm. One of the main ones is that there isnt much new to do at 85. Most of the content that Cataclysm brought (a new world to level in) is something you really only see if you are leveling a new character.

There were new factions to earn reputation with but it was the same old shit thats been around forever.. compare to TBC where you had to choose to ally with one faction while making an enemy of another.

There was also less of everything compared to the other expansions except for raids. The problem with Dungeons and Raids at Catas launch was the difficulty and changes to how your character worked. i dont mind challenge. HOWEVER, when success or failure depends on randoms in the Dungeon Finder it doesnt matter how good you are if your group isnt Johnny on the Spot you wipe. Staying in a dungeon for 20-30 wipes for 3-4 hours while DPS is constantly blaming heals and tank is not fun. Perhaps if i were doing guild runs things would be different but i wasnt so that was my experience. It was also not fun going from healing for more and for much longer at 80 than at 85. It feels good to progress as you.. well, progress. Going backwards kills enthusiasm.

Heirlooms destroying sub-80 pvp and leveling is another big one.

Tons of other stuff but its all been said before.

LoL. Heirlooms destroying PVP? In what universe is this happening.
Heirlooms are not a replacement for real PVP gear and set bonuses, you also cannot put good enchants on Heirloom gear. Now if you complained about Rogues in level 60 or lower BGs you might have a point as they can pretty much 1 shot people if they're geared. Don't judge PVP by BGs either, PVP should be judged by arena.

Also what dungeons are you wiping in 20-30 times? Exaggerate much? Most randoms disband after 2-3 wipes, let alone 30. And if you're in this group the whole time you gotta wonder who's the problem here. Dungeons are easy, so are heroics, with 4.2 the troll heroics are easy as well. I know you're talking about when Cata started but, what do you expect? People are just going to know new dungeons without doing them? Do you expect the game to just be faceroll with brand new content? Cata has bred a much better new player than Wrath of the Lich King did. Wrath was all tank and spank aoe fests but Cata reintroduced the importance of CC, mana awareness, and working as a group to succeed.

You sound like someone who had a bad experience and then quit but now you have to preach about how bad the game is even though you liked it enough to put so much time into it. And this sentiment is reflected in a lot of your posts I've seen in other Blizzard related threads.

Meier

I hate this whole "already priced in" bullshit. This damn stock never moves.. ugh. :mad: Held it for so long waiting for it to pop but it gives back any gain it ever makes. Infuriating.

Curufinwe

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
No surprise with Black Ops. My brother who works at walmart tells me he sells about 5 copies a day.

There were a lot of people in the Black Ops thread who insisted that even though it had amazing sales at launch it wouldn't have the legs that MW2 had, and that it wouldn't outsell MW2.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mechanized said:
LoL. Heirlooms destroying PVP? In what universe is this happening.
Heirlooms are not a replacement for real PVP gear and set bonuses, you also cannot put good enchants on Heirloom gear. Now if you complained about Rogues in level 60 or lower BGs you might have a point as they can pretty much 1 shot people if they're geared. Don't judge PVP by BGs either, PVP should be judged by arena.
Its obvious you havent stepped foot into sub-80 pvp. Its a huge problem.

Also what dungeons are you wiping in 20-30 times? Exaggerate much? Most randoms disband after 2-3 wipes, let alone 30. And if you're in this group the whole time you gotta wonder who's the problem here. Dungeons are easy, so are heroics, with 4.2 the troll heroics are easy as well. I know you're talking about when Cata started but, what do you expect? People are just going to know new dungeons without doing them? Do you expect the game to just be faceroll with brand new content? Cata has bred a much better new player than Wrath of the Lich King did. Wrath was all tank and spank aoe fests but Cata reintroduced the importance of CC, mana awareness, and working as a group to succeed.
i dont know about after 4.2 but doing heroics right after Cataclysm launch was a clusterfuck for pugs. Now pugs are usually like this but with Cata it was the worst. It was mostly because DPS didnt CC but as a healer i dont like taking the blame from assholes i dont even know when its not even my fault. And going oom in 10 casts was not fun. Supposedly it gets better with gear but this again was Cata launch. im not going to stick around for 6 months to see if abilities scale with gear so i can finally feel more powerful than i was capped at 60 in Vanilla, 70 in TBC ,or 80 in WotLK.

You sound like someone who had a bad experience and then quit but now you have to preach about how bad the game is even though you liked it enough to put so much time into it. And this sentiment is reflected in a lot of your posts I've seen in other Blizzard related threads.
i just played recently with the free trial shit and my account got hacked so i got 7 days to see the full game again. Wow is easily in the worst shape its ever been. Its not even an argument. (PVP orientated perspective.. i dont know how hardcore raiding is but seeing as all of my friends that have been playing since 2004 or earlier were all raiders and left the game it cant be that great).

LQX

StevieP said:
Looked and ran better. Until you took it online and realized they had the shit-ass console peer-to-peer matchmaking system from Live/PSN in place and that your hit detection was entirely bullshit as a result, while trudging through lag. Black Ops sucked complete ass (18 person limit for ranked dedicated servers? FU!), but MW2 sucked worse.
For all the hell peer-to-peer got early on I never had a problem finding matches on PC. Since BO came out though it has been hell connecting to a MW2 game in less than 10 minutes. This is what many of us feared with them not allowing dedicated servers. Wont be surprised if a year or two from now they shut it all down. They did a big disservice to the longevity of the game as MW and even COD2 is stilling going strong.

StevieP

Banned
LQX said:
For all the hell peer-to-peer got early on I never had a problem finding matches on PC. Since BO came out though it has been hell connecting to a MW2 game in less than 10 minutes. This is what many of us feared with them not allowing dedicated servers. Wont be surprised if a year or two from now they shut it all down. They did a big disservice to the longevity of the game as MW and even COD2 is stilling going strong.

Finding matches is one thing, but playing a peer-to-peer hosted multiplayer shooter is a travesty in itself for some of the same reasons I mentioned. The ranked dedicated servers on blops have shitty enough restrictions, but at least they're dedicated servers.

VariantX

TacticalFox88 said:
Holy shit. Where to begin.
Black Ops Removed Stopping Power
Removed One Man Army
No Riot Shield
Nerfed Noob Toobing
Removed Danger Close
Balanced the Perks (Pain in the ass to get the Pros, but Whatevs)
Removed Commando
Removed the dumbass nuke
Killstreaks don't stack
Killstreaks aren't extremely overpowered
Airstreaks aren't CONSTANTLY in the air
There's a counter and a weakness to EVERYTHING
Shotguns are now primary instead of secondary
No tactical knife

The list goes on and on. The only thing MW2 does better than Black Ops is that the Single Player is far better. Not the story mind you, but the missions themselves.

Agree with everything in this post. Its a shame that hit detection and lag issues completely negate all these wonderful improvements to the game. I shouldn't shoot a guy in his foot and then get a headshot + 50 message nor should attack dogs teleport across the map and rip my throat out. Nor should I end up spraying my guns instead of using controlled bursts because I'm never exactly sure if my shots will hit even though my target is smack dab in the middle of the cross hair. Because of those strange occurrences being the norm rather than the exception, I end up putting MW2 in my disc tray far more often than black ops even though the killstreak and grenade launcher spam just becomes plain aggravating because its just too effective.

MechDX

VariantX said:
Agree with everything in this post. Its a shame that hit detection and lag issues completely negate all these wonderful improvements to the game. I shouldn't shoot a guy in his foot and then get a headshot + 50 message nor should attack dogs teleport across the map and rip my throat out. Nor should I end up spraying my guns instead of using controlled bursts because I'm never exactly sure if my shots will hit even though my target is smack dab in the middle of the cross hair. Because of those strange occurrences being the norm rather than the exception, I end up putting MW2 in my disc tray far more often than black ops even though the killstreak and grenade launcher spam just becomes plain aggravating because its just too effective.

Yes, yes ,yes.

subversus said:
25 DS I think.

Demons souls definately did not sell a million copies. Last I saw it was around 450,000. I thought i was being pretty generous by rounding up.

fake edit: i checked a certain banned website and it is apparently much closer to your estimate. that being said, that website is pretty fucking shitty so i dont much credibility there.

I'll change my crying to something a bit more accurate

125 folklores :'(

Evlar

Banned
water_wendi said:
Its obvious you havent stepped foot into sub-80 pvp. Its a huge problem.
Blizzard obviously doesn't care about the balance in sub-80 PvP, and apparently view it as just a minimal distraction for players as they grind up to the level cap.

... Which is fortuitous for me, since I view it the same way.

StevieP

Banned
VariantX said:

What's funny is that this was the complete opposite on PC.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Evlar said:
Blizzard obviously doesn't care about the balance in sub-80 PvP, and apparently view it as just a minimal distraction for players as they grind up to the level cap.

... Which is fortuitous for me, since I view it the same way.

They already have enough trouble trying to balance PVP at lvl 85, can you imagine trying to balance it for every lvls between 10 and 84? Haha, i'd like to see that, but it's just a ridiculous dream.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WoW Loses 300,000 Subs; 900,000 Lost Total
WoW subscribers at 11.1m

So..uh..when we can have new Warcraft -with single player campaign-games again ( like the amazing Warcraft The Frozen Throne) is it even possible now or they will force us to wait till World of Warcraft popularity decline completely and dies?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Bisnic said:
They already have enough trouble trying to balance PVP at lvl 85, can you imagine trying to balance it for every lvls between 10 and 84? Haha, i'd like to see that, but it's just a ridiculous dream.
Its not about class balance. Its if you do not have heirlooms you cannot compete. There is just no going against someone that has 4-6 slots that are BiS every single time they ding.

bill0527

Bisnic said:

This is true, but its a horrible way to introduce brand new players into PvP. The whole reason for the complete redesign of the world was to bring in brand new players and hopefully retain some of the old ones who might want to visit the new leveling experience.

My opinion is that its absolutely useless to do 10-84 PvP unless you have a few pieces of heirloom gear. You're going to get destroyed if you don't have it. Heirloom gear is the new twinking. Unfortunately this leaves a sour taste in the mouths of honest new players who venture into PvP for the first time.

Btw.. I've ragged on Cataclysm quite a bit, but I think it was a decent expansion. They did do some things right. I'd give it a B- grade. The problem is, I've come to expect A quality work from Blizzard. I also don't believe that they are putting anywhere near the amount of resources into the game as they used to and its starting to show. It makes me sick that many new awesome features - features that would have been free 3 years ago, are getting stuck under the value-added tab and charged extra for. Stuff like the cross server Real ID friends list.

demosthenes said:
WoW, CoD, Starcraft all print money for them.

I don't think Starcraft 2 is extremely profitable for them. I mean, it's not the most accessible game out there and all Blizz gets is the initial $60 price. The other day, the HUD on SC2 said something like 12k games in your region, which isn't a whole lot.

The expansions of course will bring in additional revenue, but SC2 revenue will never come close to WoW or console FPSs.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Onion_Relish said:
Demons souls definately did not sell a million copies. Last I saw it was around 450,000. I thought i was being pretty generous by rounding up.

US =/= WW

Top Bottom