• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
People were asking for responses so I gave them. I will be completely upfront and admit that answering line by line like this isn't fair. It's not a back and forth, it's him talking and then me responding later. That said... he didn't make any fucking sense and I hope this clarifies that. He is a GAF member though so if what I said is deemed offensive I will sit in time out until Bish decides.
i34tQbOKjcn5D.gif

Bazooka

Banned
Says who? Where?

Sony is not going to be allowing anyone to sell ads over ps4 footage. That is why Adam Sessler said that this is only going to be a problem for very few game journalist and that this is going to affect him directly. I just don't understand how this does not fall under fair use. well thats what i am getting out of all of this.

-griffy-

Banned
Sony is not going to be allowing anyone to sell ads over ps4 footage. That is why Adam Sessler said that this is only going to be a problem for very few game journalist and that this is going to affect him directly.

We don't know that to be the case. It's all speculation at this point. We don't even know Sony is the problem company. We just know it apparently has nothing to do with Microsoft. Could be a large third party.

It's suspected that the delayed reaction is because certain outlets are receiving HDCP-free kits, designed for capture. But it's Sony's decision who gets these kits.

You can see how this might be a problem.

Ah. So the BIG sites (IGN, GS, etc.) have special PS4's with hardware revisions and the other sites have to wait like us for an HDCP FW update?

Spongebob

Banned
People also have to remember BF4 is also 60 fps. 900p at solid 60 in multiplayer with all that hectic action is honestly quite impressive for the PS4.
That all depends on what "setting" the game is running at on PS4. If it's running at "low" then that's not all that impressive. If it's running at "ultra" that would be impressive, but if that's the case I would greatly prefer that they reduce some effects to reach 1080p. There are also likely using FXAA on PS4 and....

900p + FXAA = :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for all the great screenshots guys.

900p looks totally acceptable to me. 720p looks noticeably worse in every pic, whereas 900p looks barely different from 1080p in most parts of the images.

I wish we'd get native 1080p on everything but it looks like 900p is a totally acceptable compromise for my needs. I'm not worried at all (for PS4, that is)

Is the scaling algorithm on console hardware scalers more similar to nearest neighbour than bicubic interpolation?

Yes. Bicubic sampling requires extra processing, as little as it is, adds latency. I'm sure GPU's on PC's are more capable of doing bicubic interpolation. It's something common but consoles have never really had to scale images before. I know 360 has a scaler, but looking at the results of 720p games on a 1080p screen, it doesn't appear that it's bicubic.

Anyway, the reason why 360 has less latency in 720p games on 1080p screens is because the console itself does it.

PS3 doesn't have a scaler, so the TV has to switch to the 720p mode and upscale the signal to the TV. TV's aren't nearly as powerful and you'd likely get some artifacts. That's why you get higher latency when not rendering in the screens native resolution.

Are those last two words real? :/
Interpolate is to insert something inbetween two things.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicubic_interpolation

fade_

Is it even possible for him to make a living off of the income from Youtube?

We don't know that to be the case. It's all speculation at this point. We don't even know Sony is the problem company. We just know it apparently has nothing to do with Microsoft. Could be a large third party.

My money is on whatever the issue however mundane it is Sony. We should have known from the beginning with it being only Sessler and Gies raising a stink about it and the others looking around in bewilderment as much as we are.

Sony is not going to be allowing anyone to sell ads over ps4 footage. That is why Adam Sessler said that this is only going to be a problem for very few game journalist and that this is going to affect him directly.

In your scenario, he loses out with first-party titles.

But there's nothing stopping him from using XB1 footage for everything else, since that's clearly accessible and not restricted.

Sessler isn't Digital Foundry, his bread-and-butter are the generic journalism and reviews, all of which has never really mattered that much in terms of footage comparisons.

sith ewok

You can't compare Killzone to BF now haha

900p will look absolutely fine on the Ps4. Resolutions don't speak the whole truth, just imagine the differences in details, textures etc...that Ps4 will have over the X1. Again, what BF4 is doing in mp is a lot more demanding then other titles.

Have we been given any information on game differences between the two systems other than resolution? I was under the assumption that the third party titles at launch were running with basically the same level of texture, geometry, etc... and that the only difference was the native resolution. Has there been information to the contrary that I have missed?

ref

That all depends on what "setting" the game is running at on PS4. If it's running at "low" then that's not all that impressive. If it's running at "ultra" that would be impressive, but if that's the case I would greatly prefer that they reduce some effects to reach 1080p. There are also likely using FXAA on PS4 and....

900p + FXAA = :(

True, guess we'll have to wait and see.

If I were getting it on PS4, I'd also much rather want 1080p with some reduced effects.

Sony is not going to be allowing anyone to sell ads over ps4 footage. That is why Adam Sessler said that this is only going to be a problem for very few game journalist and that this is going to affect him directly. I just don't understand how this does not fall under fair use. well thats what i am getting out of all of this.
Is this true or just a guess.... Makes sense if so

thenrr is nithug here regardiHdng devkit exPeses, etc
That's sbaseed rin!Real!tty.

Seisirohsly. U ar clowned 4 a rezon man

All+The+President%2527s+Men.jpg

I was going to clean my apartment today. This is like seeing through the looking glass. There's like four more weeks left. I literally haven't been able to tear myself away from GAF all day today.

To those who doubt CBOAT for shame.

You know I've got one of these I could you, you know, maybe leave outside my doorstep:

bonsai-carmona-potted-plant__0105739_PE253231_S4.JPG

Kidding. Just kidding.

People were asking for responses so I gave them. I will be completely upfront and admit that answering line by line like this isn't fair. It's not a back and forth, it's him talking and then me responding later. That said... he didn't make any fucking sense and I hope this clarifies that. He is a GAF member though so if what I said is deemed offensive I will sit in time out until Bish decides.
What do you think Sony has done that could enrage Sessler so much?

Ah. So the BIG sites (IGN, GS, etc.) have special PS4's with hardware revisions and the other sites have to wait like us for an HDCP FW update?
Probably.

sTaTIx

900p? Preorder cancelled, no sale DICE.

Disappointing news with bf4. I'll have to reevaluate my launch day spending.

I can't believe people are cancelling possibly the best online FPS of the year, just because of moderately compromised resolution (still a good deal above 720p). Some people really are living a dreamworld.

Like I said, 60fps for a high-end game like BF4 was NEVER going to be an easy feat. 1080p would be extremely doable if it were 30fps, but 60fps (which is extremely helpful for online gameplay fluidity/responsiveness) would have always required some sort of compromise. This was the most predictable news ever, and it's your fault if you preordered thinking BF4 was actually going to be full-on 1080p/60. Even super high-end PC rigs had trouble running the BF4 beta at 1080p and a constant 60 frames.

Just be glad it's not 720p/60, because that was a TRUE worst-case scenario.

Sanke__

Im starting to get lost
how many unanswered questions are currently going on here?

TriGen

That's not confirmed. That would be horrible if true, and I would be upset with any publisher that did that -- but right now we don't know if that's the case. Microsoft has nothing to do with it apparently, but we don't know if Sony is doing what you're saying. If they do, that will make me very upset with them because I like viewing video content, but for now people might just be getting upset over not having pre-release footage on PS4, or a big publisher that's not Sony might me doing what you're suggesting.

Goddamn, never heard 720p compared to needing glasses! Excellent dysphemism.

No need for the knee jerk, I game at 720p on my T.V (PS3) and only have that level of problem on my PC because I sit closer to the monitor where you know, there's a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Not an euphemism, try for yourself.

Daingurse

No need for the knee jerk, I game at 720p on my T.V (PS3) and only have that level of problem on my PC because I sit closer to the monitor where you know, there's a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Not an euphemism.

You misunderstand me, your comment amused me. Nothing more, nothing less. It was an excellent dysphemism I've never heard before.

Kibbles

IGbeOPx.jpg

Man, first replies on Twitter are almost always great.

Except the internet explosion has everything to do with the Xbox One lol. Arthur and Adam may not be talking about Xbox One, but that's hardly what the entirety of today's ass-storm was about.

why would he need to change industries over that? he cant review games on xbox? on pc?

Codeblew

Well, if BF is 900p, then I won't be buying it. I am not going to deal with blurry upressed games on my TV this gen. I will buy when 1080p native patch is released (or never).

900p doesn't mean black bars right? That's all I care about.

No, it just means blurry picture on your 1080p TV. (unless you sit like 20ft away or it is a small 20inch TV)

900p is fine. Barely a difference to 1080p.

False. See above.

Isn't The Order 900p? hmm

Yes, but it is not upscaled (black bars). Will not look like smeared dog poo.

Nah, it's 16:9 which is the same as 720p and 1080p

That is not the point. See above.

Joco

Jesus Christ I wish they'd just say whatever this was already. This whole "let's discuss it amongst ourselves" while keeping everyone else out of the loop mentality is getting real old, really fast.

Metfanant

So we still don't know the answer as to why X1 reviews are going to be out later for multiplat games.

Well...based on what I can decipher from all this craziness today you're looking at this...

1. You're going to see REVIEWS (Written) for PS4 games and NOT Xbone games because of the timing of embargoes

2. There is some sort of issue revolving around capturing video from the PS4...likely a combo of HDCP and also the ability to edit the video and get it out to consumers...we know the HDCP issues are being fixed...but if there are restrictions on monetization of videos including PS4 footage...then that's bad news for guys like Sessler that make a living off that shit...

Hey mort didn't you say bf4 on ps4 was 1080p? Just going off the top of my head.

I said that I heard that it was. I also said that it wasn't a story yet.

I haven't seen it, obviously. People that I trust have and say it is. I don't know that there's a story here as the xbox one version may be also... I haven't talked to anyone who has played that.

Keep in mind that Eurogamer pixel counted Ryse and said it was 1080p and was wrong. This isn't like the Call of Duty thing where the chatter was "720p for xb1, 1080p for ps4."

This is just someone who has played it saying it was 1080p. Was it upscaled? I have no idea. I don't think this is any sort of story, yet.

It doesn't stop there though. From what I'm hearing multiplats being the same resolution will be the exception, not the rule, at launch.

This isn't shocking news though. The xbox one API was late to the party. There is A LOT of evidence that they weren't prepared to launch this early. That will be apparent in the next month.

They will catch up. Or close the distance a bit, atleast. We know the PS4 is more powerful but the xbox one is capable of much more than what we will see at launch.

TheCloser

Banned
I can't believe people are cancelling possibly the best online FPS of the year, just because of moderately compromised resolution (still a good deal above 720p). Some people really are living a dreamworld.

Like I said, 60fps for a high-end game like BF4 was NEVER going to be an easy feat. 1080p would be extremely doable if it were 30fps, but 60fps (which is extremely helpful for online gameplay fluidity/responsiveness) would have always required some sort of compromise. This was the most predictable news ever, and it's your fault if you preordered thinking BF4 was actually going to be full-on 1080p/60. Even super high-end PC rigs had trouble running the BF4 beta at 1080p and a constant 60 frames.

Just be glad it's not 720p/60, because that was a TRUE worst-case scenario.
Umm, where did I confirm that I was cancelling my preorder. I said I would reevaluate my spending. Btw, bf4 is not and will not be the best online multiplayer when everyone who plays on console tries to play it like COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom