• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves Rev3 Games, starts consultancy firm

_hekk05

Banned
It's one of the best MP shooters I've ever played, can't get enough of it.

We all know antitrop has a raging hardon for titanfall.

Seriously, though, didn't Sessler rate Titanfall 5/5, a perfect score? What with all its performance issues and screen tearing, a perfect score is pretty suspect. I would accept a 4/5 for a really good game with some questionable performance, but a perfect is pushing it.

I also dislike how some of the burn cards are literally cheats. Its worse than support killstreaks in MW3 imo
Rock that advanced UAV-stealth bomber-EMP combo

Edit: forgot rev3 is on a 5 point system

Can't say I'll miss him.
Never really enjoyed seeing him that much, but last year with the drm nonsense and then changing his argument from "we should demand 1080p" to "who cares about 720p/1080p", just made me completely ignore him.
Too much of a big company apologist for me.

methane47

Nick Robinson, really? He's done barely anything there, it's like championing Rorie from Giant Bomb. Carboni is the fucking bomb!

iWGUgVC83wIrk.jpg

That was great.. Adam's review of "Hoop" is one of the best i've ever read.

Z_Y

No that's pretty accurate. "Gaming Industry Icon since the late 90s" is exactly how I would describe Adam Sessler.

No shit. Dude has been doing this forever. I've been following him since he was on ZDTV. If he isn't a gaming industry icon I don't know who is. That title isn't just limited to developers and CEOs, IMO.

jet1911

exactly and the game is garbage that's the point. he gave the game raving reviews moron and even fans of the game admit it's terrible after a few days of playing it.

he lost credibility because he stated the game is 'ground breaking and would revolutonize fps genre" that speaks of "paid for BS" etc.

Sound like ur a fan of titanfall however and a xbot and each of you're defense posts reak of that.. Look at it Already hard to find games because the community has died and it's what 2 weeks after release yes that's revolutionized FPS genre right there.

We need common sense tags for some of you. Anyone who played the beta and wasn't paid by BS knew this before the game even released.

Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you talking about?

DREYDUS

Banned
Yes, this is that guy. He's always been a MS apologist and a Sony skeptic. He's the guy that liked to tell people they were wrong for feeling and acting the way they do from atop his vanilla covered neutral fence of pseudo-intellect. He was a self-serving, bloviating, out f context, miserable, fraud by the end.

I really do wish him the best, just far away from the games I play.

^^ this post sums it up for me. /end

I'm sure he has his fans, but I never followed him or his work. I only know him vaguely from G4 or whatever it is now.

His personality/style didn't connect with me and I didn't care to watch or listen him more than a couple times over the years. Sounds like he felt it was time to try something else, so good for him.

rich7sena

Banned
I subscribed to Rev3 on youtube because I felt Sessler was one of the more intellectual reviewers in video game media. Sure, he has his biases and often gets tangled within his own words, but he was mostly a breath of fresh air to a mostly stale community. Ultimately, I stopped watching because I felt like he fell into the same trap of predictability that seems to plague most of his peers.

K' Dash

Most childish thread on GAF this year, some people are such babies. OMG, his line of thought doesn't fall lock step with mine, good riddance. Do people realize how that sounds? As if only those who preach to my beliefs should be heard from.

Completely agree.

We all know antitrop has a raging hardon for titanfall.

Seriously, though, didn't Sessler rate Titanfall 5/5, a perfect score? What with all its performance issues and screen tearing, a perfect score is pretty suspect. I would accept a 4/5 for a really good game with some questionable performance, but a perfect is pushing it.

I also dislike how some of the burn cards are literally cheats. Its worse than support killstreaks in MW3 imo
Rock that advanced UAV-stealth bomber-EMP combo

Edit: forgot rev3 is on a 5 point system

Sessler doesn't review games that way. He reviews em based on less tangible/subjective aspects. Like fun.

Good luck to Sessler in his future endeavors. I'm 37 years old so I have watched or read Sessler for the better part of a decade or longer.

It seems to me ever since he was off of TV and G4, he was so unhappy. He never seemed excited, never seemed hyped for anything gaming anymore. Maybe this has to do with pride, reputation, or exhaustion from covering this industry for so long...just watch any of his recent videos. Do you see joy in any of them?

I hope he finds something that he enjoys and makes him happy...

Good luck to Sessler in his future endeavors. I'm 37 years old so I have watched or read Sessler for the better part of a decade or longer.

It seems to me ever since he was off of TV and G4, he was so unhappy. He never seemed excited, never seemed hyped for anything gaming anymore. Maybe this has to do with pride, reputation, or exhaustion from covering this industry for so long...just watch any of his recent videos. Do you see joy in any of them?

I hope he finds something that he enjoys and makes him happy...

I watch all of his videos. And he seems happy all the time. Just because he isn't jovial all the time doesn't mean he doesn't like what he's doing.

Part of a critic's job is to pretend Xbox Live is free rather than $60 a year in order to draw a false equivalency between the price of the PS4 and the price of the Xbox One?

That was a bad moment, appeared to come from a "don't switch sides yet" perspective rather than a neutral opinion on the cost difference.

Krakn3Dfx

Because after E3 he spewed a whole lot of disingenuous fud.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602351

Yeah, his take on how adding PS+ to the PS4 eliminates any price difference between the 2 consoles was pretty hilarious given that PS+ locks a small fraction of usability behind it compared to XBL Gold.

I haven't paid attention to Sessler much since G4TV, but the shit he was spewing around E3 was enough to make me realize I wasn't missing much.

Most childish thread on GAF this year, some people are such babies. OMG, his line of thought doesn't fall lock step with mine, good riddance. Do people realize how that sounds? As if only those who preach to my beliefs should be heard from.
Aren't you doing the same thing with this post?

Sessler doesn't review games that way. He reviews em based on less tangible/subjective aspects. Like fun.

Please for the love of god don't start with this shit, "fun" doesn't mean you can ignore technical flaws in a game, or lack of value. I've had fun with Titanfall but you can't be serious in saying that because it is fun that all of its other flaws should be forgiven? I've had lots of fun with god awful games and if that were my only merit they would be 5/5 as well.

hlhbk

Unsubbed just now from Rev3. Couldn't stand anyone else with their channel and am sad one of the best game reviewers is leaving the bussiness.

Bold One

Uhhh no, lets not. Lets hit the gas. He had a huge impact in bringing and keeping video games on TV when there weren't any other shows focusing on the medium

having an impact doesn't make you an 'Icon' do people even know what that word means?

Teletraan1

Banned
Super classy.

Anyway, unfortunate news. Didn't agree with things he said all the time but his reviews on games were pretty on point with how I felt. Rev3 is going to be strange without him.

What is there to be classy about? The guy left on his own accord after being ultra confrontational with his viewership. Chemical Weapon dealers and all.

Just because someone in the games industry and all it encompasses stops doing what they were doing we don't have to lay palms at their feet.

Please for the love of god don't start with this shit, "fun" doesn't mean you can ignore technical flaws in a game, or lack of value. I've had fun with Titanfall but you can't be serious in saying that because it is fun that all of its other flaws should be forgiven? I've had lots of fun with god awful games and if that were my only merit they would be 5/5 as well.

That is your prerogative. People rate games differently. Despite Skyrims shitty combat and bugs I'd rate it a 5/5.

Bold One

What is there to be classy about? The guy left under his own accord after being ultra confrontational with his viewership. Chemical Weapon dealers and all.

you refuse kneel at the alter of Sessler? Heathen!

you shall pay for your hubris, right now!

but seriously though, the sycophancy for the guy is nauseating

Tawpgun

You so can't claim its revolutionizing the genre until the next dev cycle. If we wee titanfalls influence in shooters in the coming years then you will see if it had an influence or not.

Sessler was interesting. Good luck to him.

Guri

I think that what he meant was that Adam's reviews were purely based on the game design part of it, not performance issues. He also never commented on high-res textures, for example. I believe in different reviews focusing on different parts of the game. And I don't think there are more people doing them about the game design. It doesn't mean performance issues aren't important. I think they are. But I'm OK with a review ignoring them if I know the reviewer will never mention them because it's not his/her focus. I can then look for another review that goes in-depth about those.

I hope that doesn't sound confusing. And Titanfall doesn't even interest me because I'm not into multiplayer games. And even if Rev3 doesn't go into PC games much, which is my main platform of choice, I watched his reviews to know his opinion about the game design. Then, I could go to TotalBiscuit, for example, to understand more about the technical part of the game.

web01

Doesn't surprise me at all. His defence of the DRM debacle and cringe worthy GTA review made it pretty convincing he was fishing for an industry job but seems that didn't work out.

There are no standards for reviews on games, other than they be readable. Lack of value is a subjective assessment. What technical flaws made the game unplayable? He focuses on different stuff than you, big deal.

There are no standards for reviews on games, other than they be readable. Lack of value is a subjective assessment. What technical flaws made the game unplayable? He focuses on different stuff than you, big deal.

Screen tearing, frame dips, generally ugly/bland looking game. Not unplayable but disappointing for me and takes a lot away from the experience.

I watch all of his videos. And he seems happy all the time. Just because he isn't jovial all the time doesn't mean he doesn't like what he's doing.

My whole point Is, in comparison to classic TV Sesslar, his passion and joy projected in his latest videos are a shell of what they used to be. In my opinion, he just didn't seem happy or had a dislike for some aspects of today's gamers and or games.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Screen tearing, frame dips, generally ugly/bland looking game. Not unplayable but disappointing for me and takes a lot away from the experience.

To you, to me none of that hinders my enjoyment all that much.

I'd give it a 5/5.. it's one of the purest MP FPS I've played for years.

Dragon

Banned

Which is perfectly fair. But expecting everyone to feel the same is not. And pointing out that Sessler is a hypocrite is not either, because frankly we all pick and choose what to be consistent about, and being a hypocrite doesn't mean someone is wrong :).

Camwi

I haven't played Titanfall yet, but similar complaints have been made about the Souls series, and that doesn't stop me from feeling that they are still gaming perfection.

My whole point Is, in comparison to classic TV Sesslar, his passion and joy projected in his latest videos are a shell of what they used to be. In my opinion, he just didn't seem happy or had a dislike for some aspects of today's gamers and or games.

Ah. I think that may have to do with certain requirements from X Play rather than a change in attitude but we'll never know.

I haven't played Titanfall yet, but similar complaints have been made about the Souls series, and that doesn't stop me from feeling that they are still gaming perfection.

the souls series isn't a high action twitch FPS, I respect your opinion but this is a terrible comparison.

Lack of value is a subjective assessment.

This is a bit OT, but if videogames want to be taken seriously as an artistic medium we have to drop these reductionist, binary notions of 'subjectivity' and 'objectivity'. We need to move beyond thinking about games solely in ephemeral terms of 'cultural relevance' or 'monetary worth' and start looking at their aesthetic value.

Maybe it's the relative youth of the medium that leads people to consider all games as fundamentally idiosyncratic experiences with no real way to stimulate the eternal, nomological way that the human brain works. I think it's an admission of surrender to the capitalist structure that dominates and so often intrudes upon modern game creation.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this to happen. I can't say I agreed with everything he said, but he was entertaining to watch. Best of luck to him.

And yet people like HiphopGamer are hailed as "keeping it real"

One month Eurogamer/Digital Foundry are nailed on biased and the next month fuck all is said

I'm not aiming my comments at you personally but I'm tired of the cherry picking

Neh, HipHopGamer is an unabashed Sony fan, that's not even debatable, heck he'd be on your team even if it was.

I think Adam Sessler was awesome as the lead of Rev3, I really like his review style. This sorta sucks, but I still have a few trusted places for reviews, so I wish him the best in his new endeavors.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

You do know that this is the guy that likened his audience to chemical weapons dealers, right?

Nymphae

Banned

I agree with your sentiment, but I feel like Ses has been on the decline for several years, it seemed like he was struggling to find a place in the industry, other than simply "old legacy dude who has opinions". I personally just haven't heard him say anything that interesting in quite some time, I'm not going to miss the dude, but I do wish him well in his new endeavours.

But yeah this still pisses me off a bit:

I think chemical weapons dealers have a more tolerable consumer base than videogames. I am truly embarrassed for this industry.

Good, get out.

k4n3

Banned
i felt more of a loss when G4 canceled AOTS then X-play was never really a huge fan of his then when he went out on his own and he no longer had a editor his reviews he would ramble on and on it was insufferable to watch them ... then when the whole xbone blowback thing happen and he played it off as he was a 'contrarian' but in truth he would just defend MS at every turn, i pretty much lost any respect i had for the guy

i hope the best for the guy but id rather hear kevin pereira review a game then him lmao so i think he made the right move to quit game reviewing

Just saw this. Looks like he wants to get out of gaming journalism. Bummer, he was one of the guys I respected the most.

Same.

I like Adam Sessler. I don't know why everyone hates him here. He loves games and reviews them honestly, without an agenda.

Can't say the same for most other reviewers.

Top Bottom