• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adobe not giving away free anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrocide

Thanx OP. I had a bit of trouble getting Premiere to run on my Windows 8 Laptop...but after repairing the installation 8 times it finally works.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn it. So Photoshop CS2 won't work on a new Macbook?

Would Acrobat work?

Those are the two programs I could really use, now that I've switched over to Macs. Last time I bought Adobe software was for Windows way back in 2003.

http://noelchenier.blogspot.ca/2013/01/download-adobe-cs2-for-free.html

So it looks like someone at Adobe messed up.

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don't require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

- Dov

dsigns1

Wow. Ive been teaching my little brother (11) how to do graphics using cheap open source tools. Can't wait to put this stuff on his computer.

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don't require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

- Dov

So what the hell did they THINK was going to happen when they post download links with serial numbers next to them?

Seriously, if they don't update both that forum post, and their site, with a release that says "uh.. yeah. Go ahead and have it." they're shooting themselves in the foot.

No matter how horrifically cynical we can be on the internet, for a brief period of time, a lot of us apparently just INSTANTLY believed they were actually doing a smart, cool, goodwill-generating thing ON PURPOSE. Like, it never occurred to us. It seemed cool, it made sense; we were congratulating them on their brilliant deployment of marketing strategy, when of course, it was just a colossal fuckup.

Seriously, if they don't update both that forum post, and their site, with a release that says "uh.. yeah. Go ahead and have it." they're shooting themselves in the foot.

No matter how horrifically cynical we can be on the internet, for a brief period of time, a lot of us apparently just INSTANTLY believed they were actually doing a smart, cool, goodwill-generating thing ON PURPOSE. Like, it never occurred to us. It seemed cool, it made sense; we were congratulating them on their brilliant deployment of marketing strategy, when of course, it was just a colossal fuckup.

It does seem kind of stupid to not keep it for free. They would be allowing to get more people getting used to a version of the software where they would not get revenue from anyway and persuading people to buy new versions. They should push this, I doubt there are many people that would consider this a substitute over the newest Creative Suites. If anyone was interested in buying a new version, I doubt something like this would put the person off.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In case anyone cares in regards to the technically illegal list of download links in the OP:

No, You Can't Download Adobe CS2 Applications For Free

Update: Following a frenzy of Internet activity &#8212; and some confusion &#8212; it appears that Adobe isn&#8217;t giving away free copies of Adobe CS2.

Adobe scientist Dov Isaacs clarifies:

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated &#8230;

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don&#8217;t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

Sorry for getting your hopes up and adding to the confusion.

&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;-

So how many of you will be deleting it now?

GqoYv.gif

So, to clarify: They see 7-year-old versions of their software (some of which is discontinued) being available for free as a threat to their current business. And so despite announcing this software was available for free, in what seemed like a cool gesture that would get a lot more people into using Adobe products, now the message is that if you took advantage of the offer they themselves presented, you are a dirty pirate.

So, to clarify: They see 7-year-old versions of their software (some of which is discontinued) being available for free as a threat to their current business. And so despite announcing this software was available for free, in what seemed like a cool gesture that would get a lot more people into using Adobe products, now the message is that if you took advantage of the offer they themselves presented, you are a dirty pirate.
Their fault for uploading them for us to use :(

Their fault for uploading them for us to use :(

It was more than them just uploading the installers. They proffered a list of legitimate keys. To my understanding, on their official forums they said these were free to use, and that information has, according to some reports, been up since December.

How good is CS2 compared to CS6? Is it a notable difference or just loads of minor improvements that won't affect the layman?

It depends on what tools you use. CS6 is a pretty huge upgrade over CS2 if you are a pro, IMO, even though if you just look at a version history, the improvements don't seem like that big a deal. If you are a layman that would just like a step up from the very limited Elements or something, you'll be in heaven in CS2.

For the record, I used CS2 longer than any other version of Photoshop I've ever had, before or since. I was pretty much forced to upgrade, or lose being in the preferred pricing upgrade cycle, at some point, and that's the only thing that got me to move on. I found it did everything I needed it to do. I still have it on my old beater Darth MacBook that I use to tether my camera to when I'm somewhere I'm worried about taking my more modern machine.

angelfly

Yup, it was good PR and they've soiled it now.

- Dov
damn...

Will users self-uninstall now?

Where's Mitt Romney? He would have a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom