• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adrian C. (Former People Can Fly) Claims His Dev Friends Claim 50% XB1/PS4 Speed Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iacobellis

So because one game was really well done and beats the 360 in graphics, you automatically jump from that one game to the conclusion that he was saying the 360 is weaker than PS3. Pretty dumb.

He's saying badass developers can do badass things, and a badass developer on one platform that doesn't work on the other one, may just outshine all the exclusive developers on the other platform even if they're on weaker hardware.

Yeah, I meant to say PS3 from the beginning. Saying 360 was a result of me being tired. My mistake, sorry.

Godslay

Banned
These guys for instance.

I can pick out shitty posters too...

[–]Literally_To_This [score hidden] 11 minutes ago
dum stupid xbots just need to buy a ps4 like every one eslse ans M$ need to kill them self lol hahaha

I think you are zeroing in on a couple shitty posters. Big whoop? What does it accomplish anyways? Just adding fuel to a dumb fuck fire?

Barzul

I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.
Who are you? This is my first time seeing you post so I might have missed any introduction.

Edit: Nevermind. Read it again.

Flatline

Banned
shotsnotfiredj8ss1.gif

I love you man, these gifs are hilarious.

Josman

This is hilarious, specially after all the fud MN and Penello have been spreading, if MN gets his NeoGAF account approved it's gonna be a bloodbath.

Eh - Box has Ryse and Forza 5. Both look pretty damn good. Ryse rivals anything on the PC.

I don't think the consoles are as bad as many are claiming but it's obvious that out of the two, the Xbox is more handicapped.

I expect most games to look good this generation either way.

What? Ryse looks terrible.

As for it rivaling anything on the PC...
mal-speechless.gif

Microsoft is making a desperate PR attempt to muddy the waters on the matter and people are responding to it.

This.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did he make them fucking race?

I'll subscribe to this '50% faster' being pulled straight from his arse. What a convenient percentage for such a vague attribute.

If his contacts are Multiplatform devs, it would be fairly reasonable for them to have a feel for the differences between the two.

statham

I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

Thanks for coming here! :)

Alienous

If his contacts are Multiplatform devs, it would be fairly reasonable for them to have a feel for the differences between the two.

I can agree with that. I'm just trying to get my head around how you would begin to work out the percentages, even roughly. And with several percentages being touted, I can see I'm not the only one.

weevles

So you're saying PS3 is weaker?

He is saying that sort of, but he also said PS3 has a few advantages in certain areas.

His overall response though is saying that devs won't let hardware stop software parity. He is also saying that in theory, cross-platform isn't supposed to favor one platform over the other because they want to sell to everyone no matter what their platform preference is.

It's still backpedaling, but only because people are immediately assuming that PS4 having the clear hardware advantage means it "wins" over Xbone.

hwy_61

Banned

Here I am. So...

Good post.Very informative.

Azull

I thought every one knew this already? Please don't tell me people believed albert and nelson right? Right?

BigDug13

Joke post? It's a very good looking game. Feel free to disagree, but you would be wrong.

Single player looks great. Multiplayer looks like an incredibly hot mess graphically and gameplay-wise. It will drag down its review scores IMO, but the single player game is good looking.

They're two different games of wildly different quality from two different developers being smushed together. It's going to be interesting.

tensuke

People DO understand that Adrian C. is not one of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD working at Microsoft, correct? I'm not dismissing his opinion. I'm stating - as I have stated since the initial unveil - that Microsoft CREATED DirectX, the standard API's that everyone programs against. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't know how to build a system opitimised for maximising graphics for programmers? Adrian C. does not fully understand the system architecture of the XboxOne. He is not part of Microsoft.

I'll get a ton of hate for saying this - but it's been the same EVERY generation.

Fuck Jay Z.

Oh god, you.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Well, that's what I was wondering. And now I have my answer. Most likey a 50% faster performing frame rate. Ok ...

There's no need to call me ignorant, especially when you aren't so sure yourself. This 50% number, coupled with fluctuating statistics, doesn't lend itself to being accurate. A 20% disparity in results doesn't make sense. And that result, itself, is subjective, as you have clearly evidenced.

And these "several posts" you speak of? They aren't the dev friends in the tweet, are they? That's entirely different analysis, with presumably different results.

Your willful gullibility is strange. But ok, sure, the PS4 is 50% faster.

The other posts are I mentioned are just the confirmed specs. Forget what the devs said for just a second, and take a look at the specs. I'm sure whatever devs mentioned the disparity of 50%, when they ran their benchmarks, they found one is around 50% faster which there aren't too many metrics to use for comparison. The key one being framerate or background processing

If one graphics card is faster than another, it's not that confusing.

Well, if the PS3 was slower but ended up with the most impressive exclusives, then what happens when you give those same developers the faster system and let them go to work?

E92 M3

Here I am. So...

1QTsA2g.gif

Verendus

Banned

Here I am. So...

All I read is damage control.

You picked the wrong side, bub. I believe Albert. He has a gentleman's name.

netBuff

He's saying devs won't let hardware stop software parity. He is also saying that in theory, cross-platform isn't supposed to favor one platform over the other because they want to sell to everyone no matter what their platform preference is.

It's still backpedaling, but only because people are immediately assuming that PS4 having the clear hardware advantage means it "wins" over Xbone.

We've had quite pronounced differences in multi-platform games even this generation (resolution, framerate) - even one of the most popular games (Call of Duty) performs significantly better on the 360.

There ware enormous visible differences in the PS2/Xbox 1 generation.

With a much bigger power differential this time than with current gen, it's clear the PS4 is going to win multi platform comparisons.

Loakum

Banned

Here I am. So...

I like this guy. He seems like a straight shooter. However, we 50% more power..that's when 1st party games will shine. (looking at Naughty Dog and San Monica Studios)

Loofy

Why dont we still get benchmarks for consoles like we did in the GC/Xbox days? and dont tell me they arent relevant anymore cause we get them all the time everytime a new PC CPU or GPU comes out.

Curufinwe

It's in studios' best interest that there is no clear advantage in one platform over the other... And yet there were clear advantages in a ton of multiplatform games both this gen and last gen.

For just one example of a huge multiplatform title, then PS3 version of Assassin's Creed was crap. How did this negatively affect Ubisoft Montreal?

Iacobellis

He is saying that sort of, but he also said PS3 has a few advantages in certain areas.

His overall response though is saying that devs won't let hardware stop software parity. He is also saying that in theory, cross-platform isn't supposed to favor one platform over the other because they want to sell to everyone no matter what their platform preference is.

It will help the more informed gamers pick a new console. We've never had a console in recent time that was cheaper and more powerful than its competitor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Here I am. So...

I disagree with number 2, if the differences are that large. While a publisher may not want sales of the less good version to suffer and therefore push for parity - they risk competition from other publishers. Eg if BF5 is going up against COD7 and BF4 is really optimised for PS4, do activision risk losing sales to ea by restricting their PS4 version?

And anyway, what's the harm? You have a couple of consumers: one own both consoles, so they'll buy the best version - publisher doesn't lose anything. The other only owns one console. If they own the lesser of the two but still like that game, why would they *not* buy it just because a better version exists? Just sounds odd to me.

DBT85

All I read is damage control.

You picked the wrong side, bub. I believe Albert. He has a gentleman's name.

lol

I appreciate you posting here. I really do.

But we have many Digital Foundry tests showing X360 versions having superior framerates, effects etc throughout the generation in multiplatform games over the PS3. Is it just going to be much easier this time around with the similar CPU/GPU architecture to get parity? Or are we realistically going to see a game on PS4 at locked 30 or 60 and games on the Xbone at mostly 30 or 60 with lots of dips?

I'm no tech expert or anything, but...

As we all know, a 30% difference between the two consoles is only negligible, as it had been confirmed unanimously by the tech experts of the world. That would essentially mean that the PS4 is only 20% more powerful than the Xbone, because a 50% difference is only 20% above the margin of negligibility (the margin is set at 30%). And since 30% has already been declared as a negligible difference, that would mean that the 20% difference is even less significant - that's another 10% below the margin of negligibility! If anything, this would mean that the Xbone is actually more powerful than the PS4, because 10% below the margin of negligibility would mean that the Xbone is actually 90% above the said margin. In that case, the Xbone would most definitely be 90% more powerful than the PS4!

Just look at the exclusives shown on both platforms thus far. I'm not seeing a 50% difference. I would even argue that X1 has the better looking games at this point.

Gold Member
Not really that shocking, but good to see someone finally come out who's in the know and confirm what we all thought.

Damage control incoming in 3.2.1...lol

netBuff

Just look at the exclusives shown on both platforms thus far. I'm not seeing a 50% difference. I would even argue that X1 has the better looking games at this point.

Then you would be crazy, Sony clearly has the more graphically impressive exclusives so far.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Not at all. Naughty Dog are extremely talented and managed to become the premiere developer on what was supposedly the weaker console. What do you is going to happen when they get a hold of PS4's power? Xbone is going to have some great looking games, but PS4 first party is going to crush Xbone exclusives and i'll gladly eat crow if they don't.

Iacobellis

Why dont we still get benchmarks for consoles like we did in the GC/Xbox days? and dont tell me they arent relevant anymore cause we get them all the time everytime a new PC CPU or GPU comes out.

Still the best generation, hands down. I remember with the influx of sports games every year, Game Informer would compare each one side-by-side. There used to be around five baseball games each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom