• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adrian C. (Former People Can Fly) Claims His Dev Friends Claim 50% XB1/PS4 Speed Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

That's some serious optimization from Sony!

bottom of the console warz barrel right here, folks

NHale

I'm not trying to stir anything up. I've only got the PS4 preordered. I'm just saying, for some people it might not matter. If the Call of Duty xbox guys like xbox, they're still going to buy the xbox one regardless of power.

If the performance difference is this big and if the versions of COD show this difference, then PS4 will have a smoother framerate and will look better even to the mainstream.

While the hardcore Xbox One fans will always buy the console do you really think the mainstream will buy a more expensive console with the significantly worse version of COD (considering this performance difference will be shown in games)?

tensuke

unleash the personal attacks!

SOSWNLK.png

I'm guessing that's the "@jimwade" who called the ps4 indiestation and criticized indies. Really don't see why personal attacks need to be involved--Adrian even said it was his dev friends, not him, that were saying such things.

Vire

I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

Thank you, I'll update the OP with this.

And sorry. ;)

Verendus

Banned
People DO understand that Adrian C. is not one of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD working at Microsoft, correct? I'm not dismissing his opinion. I'm stating - as I have stated since the initial unveil - that Microsoft CREATED DirectX, the standard API's that everyone programs against. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't know how to build a system opitimised for maximising graphics for programmers? Adrian C. does not fully understand the system architecture of the XboxOne. He is not part of Microsoft.

I'll get a ton of hate for saying this - but it's been the same EVERY generation.

Fuck Jay Z.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
So now it's 50% which is far as I know is beyond what the specs say.

All I will say is this. On day one, every single game multi platform game should show a clear difference if this is true. There will be no mistaking this, none of this difficult launch games nonsense.

when I last read the apu/cpu specs they didn't seem that far apart. It's clear the ps4 is more powerful but I don' think it is "50% more" as in x1 is pulling 30 frames and ps4 is pulling 45 on a benchmark.

Amir0x

Banned
I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

Cold hard bitter truths for some; thanks for the post :D

Alienous

Your willful ignorance is painful. There have been several posts showing the cpu, gpu, memory bandwith all having faster specs on paper. Sum up these parts and architecture strategies from the two companies, and developers have found that one console performs about 50% faster. Most likely framerate and key engine processes.

Well, that's what I was wondering. And now I have my answer. Most likey a 50% faster performing frame rate. Ok ...

There's no need to call me ignorant, especially when you aren't so sure yourself. This 50% number, coupled with fluctuating statistics, doesn't lend itself to being accurate. A 20% disparity in results doesn't make sense. And that result, itself, is subjective, as you have clearly evidenced.

And these "several posts" you speak of? They aren't the dev friends in the tweet, are they? That's entirely different analysis, with presumably different results.

Your willful gullibility is strange. But ok, sure, the PS4 is 50% faster.

Iacobellis

Here I am. So...

So you're saying PS3 is weaker?

timlot

Banned
hah! I love when people say this. Like it actually makes the rest of what they say seem less biased or ridiculous

Well to be fair the rest of what I said pertains to actual Games. Thats all, I just want to see the 50% hell even the 30% difference. I digress though, nobody here wants to hear that, so I'll let you guys masturbate to gigaflipflops and what not. I'm sure like Lord Mark Cerny said the difference should show up in the year 2015 or 2016 so we'll all have something to look forward to.

Obvious news and yet there were people in other threads whining about how mean people were being to Penello.

Honestly, why is he even still around? He made up bullshit, lied to our faces and suggested that Sony's lying about something all to promote his companies product. Dude's a slimy PR guy.

Truespeed

I'm sure Private Nelson will rationalize that the 150 Mhz CPU increase and 6% GPU speed bump will equalize the playing field.

derFeef

Here I am. So...

Thanks!

That will sting for some, lol.

No idea, I only played MP in Halo 1, and I owned Killzone 3. Most likely Killzone won't fill that Halo spot. Are you seriously considering skipping out on Halo next? Xbox One looks good outside of the way they have apps behind Live Gold.

Why wouldnt he consider skipping on Halo? Halo 4 was a disgrace not only to the franchise and Bungie but to gaming in general. The franchise is dead.

Iacobellis

Try grabbing some reading comprehension skills.

"Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform."

JawzPause

Here I am. So...

Good post, thanks

So you're saying PS3 is weaker?
Yeah

Here I am. So...

Interesting post, thanks :)

http://abload.de/img/jdyhe3zlmm.gif[IMG]

==> [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666585"]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666585[/URL]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/ryyoqu54.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Look at the new footage bro.

BigDug13

"Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform."

So because one game was really well done and beats the 360 in graphics, you automatically jump from that one game to the conclusion that he was saying the 360 is weaker than PS3. Pretty dumb.

He's saying badass developers can do badass things, and a badass developer on one platform that doesn't work on the other one, may just outshine all the exclusive developers on the other platform even if they're on weaker hardware.

Careful now, some people may fly off the handle at this lol

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'm sitting in a chair getting tattoed right now when I came across this thread and lost my shit. Hopefully all the laughing didn't cause the artist to fuck up my picture...

velociraptor

People DO understand that Adrian C. is not one of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD working at Microsoft, correct? I'm not dismissing his opinion. I'm stating - as I have stated since the initial unveil - that Microsoft CREATED DirectX, the standard API's that everyone programs against. Do you really think Microsoft doesn't know how to build a system opitimised for maximising graphics for programmers? Adrian C. does not fully understand the system architecture of the XboxOne. He is not part of Microsoft.

I'll get a ton of hate for saying this - but it's been the same EVERY generation.

Fuck Jay Z.
But what does Ja Rule think of this?

iNvid02

You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles).

if i ever win the lottery im just gonna throw money at pubs so i can get a contract which gives me access to games like this

Why wouldnt he consider skipping on Halo? Halo 4 was a disgrace not only to the franchise and Bungie but to gaming in general. The franchise is dead.
I'm gonna skip Halo One probably, but that's mean! I liked Halo 4's story arc :(

Multiplayer was a different story... but that was always an additive experience to me. Destiny on PS4 will hopefully fill the hole despite being multiplat.

yep, some people here jumps to conclusions really fast. The results Adrian posted ate based on a limited experience of a few months with dev kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom