• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ads on PS4 - it'shappening.gif

Isn't this the same as PS3? Whats new section shows what is essentially ads?

No the whats new section is a mass of squares that shows what you're friends have been playing and what trophies they got. I doubt it will used much by the majority so it's hardly a big deal

BPoole

Games and movies ads are fine as long as they're unobtrusive. When state farm, Toyota, Allstate, Mt Dew, or Doritos ads start showing up, then we've got a big fucking problem

Tygamr

PS3 and Vita show ads for stuff in the PSN store too. Not anything new. At least it isn't ads for Axe, Doritos, Mountain Dew, etc.

Melchiah

It doesn't bother me as long as the ads stay in the What's New section, are about entertainment, and relevant to my interests, based on my usage stats as mentioned in the February event. It would bother me, if they shoved McDonald's ads, or anything unrelated to games & movies, down my throat. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of seeing music ads either, as I don't use the system for that, and they're unlikely to offer anything to satisfy my non-mainstream tastes; horror/sci-fi soundtracks, dark ambient, and underground metal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not a fan of non-gaming-related ads on consoles, but as long as they never, ever put them on the actual main menu bar I can deal with it. Keep hiding them under "What's New" if you have to do it.

Thats not the tab the console starts on, nor is that tab a required hop between you and what you want to do next so I don't mind it really. Its the very farthest left action and only comes up if you seek it out purposefully.

That said it *is* ads, smack dab in the middle on friend updates, so its fair game. I guess MS has gotten me used to a far more annoying kind of advertising to such a degree that this seems tame. And for somebody who hates being pushed to buy things on a regular basis much less on the dashboard of my games console that's really something.

satam55

Banned
So, I logged on to my PS4, went to the What's New feed and noticed ads for Warframe and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in between my trophies and stuff.

German PSN, PS+ sub.

Not sure what to think. Thoughts?

Don't they already have ads on the What's New section & PlayStation Store on the PS3?

Smurf

Banned
Not ok with it on principle, doesn't matter if its semi concealed or not. Gaming adverts for things available in the PSN store is fine, general advertising is unacceptable.

jaded_up_

Banned
So, I logged on to my PS4, went to the What's New feed and noticed ads for Warframe and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in between my trophies and stuff.

German PSN, PS+ sub.

Not sure what to think. Thoughts?

I'm thinking this is the first time you've touched a Ps3 or Ps4.

Huggers

I do browse the 'What's New' thing sometimes. Like to see if anyone is streaming. Few ads don't bother me too much as long as they don't hold me up

Well then..glad I've never once clicked on the What's New section. Thanks for the warning, OP! If all goes as it should, I'll never see an ad I didn't ask to see. First thing I turned off on my PS3..

Huggers

Here's how they look

KsEXRBB.jpg

I'm ok with this as long as it is under the "what's new" tab, and not in the dashboard itself.

Actually i would like it if the ad for the trailer would actually bring me to the trailer instead of the facebook page of the movie.

Both of these seems like the best way to do it.

kmg90

I have no ads on my What's New

BbXVUfzCcAA83Yg.jpg:large

Let's be clear if what people are declaring what is showing up on What's New page as ads then Xbox has PlayStation beat by leaps and bounds in how many ads are at the system level menu...

pswii60

I have no ads on my What's New

BbXVUfzCcAA83Yg.jpg:large

Let's be clear if what people are declaring what is showing up on What's New page as ads then Xbox has PlayStation beat by leaps and bounds in how many ads are at the system level menu...

Miggy11 sure plays a lot of Battlefield 4 for someone who only rated it 1-star.

kmg90

Miggy11 sure plays a lot of Battlefield 4 for someone who only rated it 1-star.

Well given the state BF4 is in at the moment, I would rate it similarly as it's still in a pretty unstable state.... It's hard to play a broken that crashes every so often.

Everytime you launch a game (regardless of whether it just crashed/froze/closed) it posts that the player is now playing that game... So I'm guessing the 1 star and the numerous "plays" for BF4 are related to it lack stability when playing....

Doesn't bother me. Ads don't bother me unless it's like a TV commercial and I'm locked out from accessing content I want to consume until the commercial has finished.

i wish i could disable my own feed actions from my feed. Not too many PS4 friends yet so its just filled by my own actions o_O Dont care if ads stay there, as long as they dont invade the main menus.

Ads in What's New tab and PSN is store is ok. Putting them on the home UI is NOT ok.

Until they break that rule i have no reason to cry.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You scared me for a second.

PSN ads have been on the What's New section for ages on both the PS3 and PS4.

Now if they were on the actual UI and/or if the ads were non gaming related, there would be hell to pay...

Owensboro

You scared me for a second.

PSN ads have been on the What's New section for ages on both the PS3 and PS4.

Now if they were on the actual UI and/or if the ads were non gaming related, there would be hell to pay...
Me too man. I read the thread title and though: "Great , they did it. Now I bet when you log in the background splash screen is for McDonald's or something." It's pretty relieving to read the thread and realize everyone is somehow getting upset over him scrolling to the "What's New" section, which was meant for advertising everything on the PSN store in the first place.

Just to be clear: Can you set the PS4 to not go directly to the "What's New" section on boot up, like the PS3? If you're forced to look at What's New, that's pretty lame. If you can boot the PS4 and it goes straight to whatever is in the disc tray (movie or game), then I'm totally fine with it.

The 'What's New" section has always existed as an advertising section, it's just presented differently so we will be dumb enough to actually choose to look at it. Now, with people's activity feeds there, we are even more willing to look at it. The adds suck, but at least I'm not forced to look at them initially and scroll away from them.

I pay for cable and still get commercials on live tv. Ads don't bother me much so long as the service I pay for is satisfactory.

ElRenoRaven

Ads in What's New tab and PSN is store is ok. Putting them on the home UI is NOT ok.

Until they break that rule i have no reason to cry.

Yup. No problem with those. I wouldn't have had the same problem with MS either had they kept to that. They don't though. They shove ads into every menu on the system but settings and things like that.

ShapeGSX

My PS3 got an ad for Redbox Instant by Verizon under the streaming video apps. I didn't download that app, but there was the ad for it. Couldn't delete it, either. Haven't booted up the PS3 in a while, so I couldn't tell you if it was still there.

I'm sure stuff like this will come to the PS4, too.

jaded_up_

Banned
So? If true does that make his opinion or concern less valid?

Ads like this don't bother me at all.

Not at all. It's just that the OP makes it seem like this is relatively new to the Playstation (the "itshappening.gif" part is particularly annoying) when it's not.

Not to bloody mention that he found advertising for new entertainment product under a section called "What's new".. What the hell did he expect to see there? lol.

kmg90

My PS3 got an ad for Redbox Instant by Verizon under the streaming video apps. I didn't download that app, but there was the ad for it. Couldn't delete it, either. Haven't booted up the PS3 in a while, so I couldn't tell you if it was still there.

I'm sure stuff like this will come to the PS4, too.

BbXiJG4CUAE1Bre.jpg:large

It's already here...

However having the services prelisted under the TV/Services catergory of the XMB is no different then the dedicated Netflix buttons on TV remotes now days... They are there to say "Hey just to let you know we have apps for these 3rd party video services you maybe subscribed to"

Is it annoying that they are undeleteable? Sure, but they are A. not taking up any space on the system and B. shoving you toward using said services or putting them behind a paywall (ala XBL Gold)

They need to fix a couple things up, the whats new section, its really not much at all, they need to add more info there, also I would like for Netflix or any other video app to show up on the bar itself, its not a big deal but something small I would like, would be nice if you can remove stuff also, I dont use music unlimited or video services form Sony.

Top Bottom