• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 2 playable in Paris @ MGS 2007 (new pics post #216)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, visual style be dammed.

The best part is the addictive gameplay and great balancing.
If Advance Wars took the same gameplay but used Daisenryaku's visuals, I don't think I'd be able to play it nearly as much, it's just boring and generic as hell and nearly puts me to sleep just looking at it. Uncompelling design can definitely hurt a game.

Rushmore

I'm having a very difficult time believing the validity of this claim. Temporary title or not, there's no way they'd title it "Advance Wars 2". On top of that, the font and general visual design is ameteurish. And why isn't the DS it's being played on attached to anything? The only reason I'd believe this at all is if IS had absolutely no input on this whatsoever.

It's also strange that they wouldn't list Advance Wars 2 as one of their playable games on the Micromania Games Show website:

http://www.micromania.fr/magazine/?mach=DS

I want to believe but I'm going to need better proof than that.

HomShaBom

Banned
Rushmore said:
I'm having a very difficult time believing the validity of this claim. Temporary title or not, there's no way they'd title it "Advance Wars 2". On top of that, the font and general visual design is ameteurish. And why isn't the DS it's being played on attached to anything? The only reason I'd believe this at all is if IS had absolutely no input on this whatsoever.

It's also strange that they wouldn't list Advance Wars 2 as one of their playable games on the Micromania Games Show website:

Um the title "Advance Wars 2" has been listed before for this.

Jiggy

oo Kosma oo said:
Hmmm really? Interesting.

I must admit I was counting unit numbers.
It's not even the numbers so much as the dynamics between units.
Cruisers beat Bombers even if the Bombers strike first. Cruisers can fire on other Cruisers, and every other sea unit.
Md Tanks don't rule the roost with Neotanks around (superior firepower and movement). Normal Tanks are an early game unit whereas in AW1 they were good from beginning to end. Mechs also lose some of their power; previously the only ground unit they had to avoid even with a first strike were Md Tanks, but now Neotanks are in the equation.
Artillery is better than before not because it's changed in the slightest, but because Neotanks cost 6000G more than Md Tanks but are equally threatened by Artillery, which is a relative budget unit. B Copters are in a similar boat to Artillery, improving by proxy because there are other more expensive units that they can do significant damage to.

And then there are like 25 more COs than the ones in AW1, plus they have super CO powers and equippable skills. And they can get on tag teams, which have their own dynamics of boosting luck and firepower, or even subtracting firepower, depending on the characters' compatibility storyline-wise.
Some of the older COs have new day-to-day abilities also, for better or worse; Sonja always ignores one terrain star of defense, Sami doesn't have the transport movement boost, and Max is toned down to non-brokenness.

Plus there are the new terrain features you haven't seen, pipes being the most important but also towers, missiles, and then some campaign-only stuff like Black Cannons.
And the weather has had some changes, since snow doesn't slow movement but doubles fuel consumption, and rain invokes fog of war even if FOW's turned off. Sandstorms are new, and decrease the range of long-range units.

I could go on for a while since I love AW, but I won't. :D I'm just saying, there have been huge leaps in balancing and gameplay... As long as these carry over to AWDS2, you should have a great time.

Gigglepoo

Mash said:
All the people actually answering this fail at humor.

Thanks for getting it.

This is my 3rd most wanted NDS game. Only the imminent release of Phoenix Wright and Zelda can move ahead of the next Advance Wars.

Jiggy37 said:
I could go on for a while since I love AW, but I won't. :D I'm just saying, there have been huge leaps in balancing and gameplay... As long as these carry over to AWDS2, you should have a great time.

Actually, Colin and Grit are broken heroes individually (so are Nell and Hachi, but they're the 'special unlockable reward' COs), and there're quite a few broken tag teams.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
Actually, Colin and Grit are broken heroes individually (so are Nell and Hachi, but they're the 'special unlockable reward' COs), and there're quite a few broken tag teams.
I'm just talking about the overall game balance.
AW1 was more imbalanced than AWDS to me, with Max being more broken than Colin or even Nell, and then there was also Sturm. At least in AWDS there are only a few broken COs out of, what, 27. That's pretty good to me.

And then the units... Bombers should never have been able to beat Cruisers in one hit on first strike, and it was about time they fixed that. Even now the navy largely sucks compared to the air units, but in AW1 there was practically no point to building anything in the sea (except maybe Landers) on maps with all three unit types.

Christine

Pureauthor said:

You can also break the game pretty hard with the configurable skill bonuses.

For people interested in a detailed description of the changes seen in AWDS, this is a good article if a little dry. http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/game-design-review-advance-wars-dual.html

Insaniac

Hmm, I wonder if they'll just give the new ones the same abilities as the old guys or completely new... I loved Rachel :(

Capndrake

If there's more new units than just the motorbike infantry (Seems to me like a nod to Military Madness), I'd like to see the return of some older Wars units. Rail Turtles from Super Famicom Wars please?

Sad_Panda

Rushmore said:

Huh...you linked to the latest online reviews on Micromania website.
Anyway, you're right, AW DS2 wasn't listed for show...but then, No More Heroes wasn't either, and in the end :

1.jpg

I don't understand, WHY would you think the title screen would be a good picture to take? You could have taken a pic from ANYTHING during gameplay but you didn't

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
Hmm, I wonder if they'll just give the new ones the same abilities as the old guys or completely new... I loved Rachel :(
I'm hoping the originals will be unlockable near the end of the game or something, as it went with AWDS.

And while I'm thinking about it, I wonder what they've done with the music. AW has had awesome music that carried from game to game... I hope that didn't change with the art style. :/

Sad_Panda

Zoramon089 said:
I don't understand, WHY would you think the title screen would be a good picture to take? You could have taken a pic from ANYTHING during gameplay but you didn't

Because big security guy saw us happy-go-lucky visitors with our camera at the ready, and dissuaded us to take others pics ?

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
No unlockable Sturm made me sad. :(
Okay, yes, this is true. Sturm was broken and awesome for it. Von Bolt's arguably the weakest CO in the game other than, like, Javier in a map with no towers, or Drake in a map with only air--no, actually, Drake in a map with airports is still pretty great because he screws over enemy Stealths' fuel. Von Bolt is lame all the time except in predeployed when he has huge armies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
hey, well at least now we know about it. i wouldnt get so uptight about the style change though. we've trusted IS for so long. not trusting them now would be selfish and fickle. could someone tell me of super mario galaxy or BWii were at the show too? jeux france had video and screens of both, but they were taken down, likely due to embargo problems.

joelseph

Its like coming back from a vacation to Hawaii with tales of finding a secret island of women and only having a picture of the plane.

Ramenman

Wow, wont people stop bitching about the fucking screencap?

He explained two times already, he couldn't. Nothing forced him to make a thread about it so just shut up and be glad that he actually bothered to tell you about the game.

I'm looking forward to the new art style, it's nice to see IS changing things up a little. Now I'm just waiting to see if they do anything with wifi.

joelseph said:
Its like coming back from a vacation to Hawaii with tales of finding a secret island of women and only having a picture of the plane.
He could have brought us nothing. Beggars, choosers, etc.

ethelred

Could be good, could be bad. Toriyama switched his style up for DQS and ended up with his best character designs in aeons. People need to wait and see before freaking out.

I'm more interested in ASH impressions beyond speed of battle (which is a negative but not a critical one). I'm also surprised they had this playable outside of Japan. Was it translated? We could be looking at an early 08 worldwide release.

Tain

There's plenty of realistic/serious tactical war games out there (Field Commander, Daisenryaku, Nectaris). We don't need another.

We don't really need a new Advance Wars, either. Give them a chance.

Tiktaalik

Wow sounds like they're refreshing the game a bit, which is a rare move for Nintendo.

I loved loved loved AW1, and loved AW2 but I found the latter quite rigidly difficult and I wasn't able to beat it. It seemed to get almost puzzlelike where I couldn't find the one way to beat the level.
I got stuck at a part where I had a choice of 2 or 3 levels but I found them all hard. I specifically remember getting stuck at a level where you had only planes and had to assault a fort containing only air defence. Ack!

I somehow missed out on AW:DS, probably because I was waiting for a price drop, but unfortunately Nintendo never price drops their games, and I think it's still C$44 (if you can find it).

Is there any word yet if this one will have Wifi play?

Dr.Hadji

I really hope they expand the real time mode they had in AWDS. Sure it was a novelty then but if they keep working at it, I think it could be a notable feature.

Vagabundo

AWDS is an excellent game, the only thing that annoyed me was the cartoon anime dialog, with that gone it is a must buy for me...

And jez u guys are such whiners, you like a bunch of old guys in a home. He said that screen was all he could get...

Neomoto

I trust IS and can't wait for AW2DS. New style and such is actually good news. If you prefer the old style then you have the first one on DS (or buy one of the GBA versions which you can play on the DS too). I have them all so it doesn't really matter to me and I still play the DS version even now. Sadly, my DS got stolen couple of months back and guess which game was in it.. yes.. AWDS goddammit. Countless of hours (literally) of progress fucking gone!

Anyway, a new style and characters and story and hopefully Wi-Fi gameplay will most likely boost the teams motivation a great deal. Working on "the same old" so to say can be boring after all, and AWDS was already a very huge step up compared to AW2. So it will be very interesting to see what they've done with it. :) It's a shame we only got the title screen even though I completely understand it, it would have been awesome to finally see actual gameplay after waiting so long hehe.

Zeed

Banned
I'm keeping an open mind about this. Fire Emblem proves that IntSys can handle a serious atmosphere.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Could be good, could be bad. Toriyama switched his style up for DQS and ended up with his best character designs in aeons. People need to wait and see before freaking out.

I'm more interested in ASH impressions beyond speed of battle (which is a negative but not a critical one). I'm also surprised they had this playable outside of Japan. Was it translated? We could be looking at an early 08 worldwide release.
Wouldn't be surprising, Nintendo's latest style of promotion is the worst.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
I'm keeping an open mind about this. Fire Emblem proves that IntSys can handle a serious atmosphere.
I'm not worried about it being serious, just looking serious. If I thought the art would look like Fire Emblem I'd have no doubts at all, but the OP saying he had to double-check the title screen to make sure it was Advance Wars makes me think that's not the case here.

Firestorm

alske said:
I like the idea of ditching the old crew, them and their shitty dialog should have been jettisoned long ago. However, I really liked the cartoony unit designs.

I hope this game is coming out soon, I've been wanting a good tactics game lately.

You should be served some smackdown soup.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's no company logos or names or copyright dates or anything in that screen. It's barren.

It screams "fake" to me.

alske said:
I like the idea of ditching the old crew, them and their shitty dialog should have been jettisoned long ago. However, I really liked the cartoony unit designs.

I hope this game is coming out soon, I've been wanting a good tactics game lately.

Final Fantasy Tactics comes out on PSP in October. It's one of the best strategy RPGs ever, if you haven't played it (or maybe even if you have) you should pick it up.

NIghtWolf

WhaT? MGS? oh I see, its not MGS™ obviously....dear Watson.

eventually names will conflict each other, the apocalypsis of videogames?

micromania? what kind of name its that?

It's good to see IS go for a different style at last but I'm sad to see Andy and the crew go :(

On well, as long as there are lots of new characters and online play I'll be happy! But despite that I really wish that IS would do something new! They've been working with the same 5 franchises (FE, AW, Paper Mario, PDP and co developing Wario Ware) for the last 7 years now! Work on something new already!

Top Bottom