• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 2 playable in Paris @ MGS 2007 (new pics post #216)

Jiggy

Zeed said:
Since Advance Wars is teh matoor now, maybe Fire Emblem will become teh kiddie!
Man, the things I'd do for a game like that. Complete with each character being able to charge up some kind of over-the-top power, and shouting entirely ridiculous phrases when they use them.

And I'm not even joking. In all honesty, I can barely remember a thing about the storylines of any of the three FE games I played--well, except for Eirika/Ephraim having some sort of heavy incestual overtones, because that's kind of hard to ignore. I suppose part of the problem was just trying to track the motivations of dozens of characters simultaneously, but still... I'd rather have ludicrous characters who stick in my mind than serious ones whose stories I skip over to get to the gameplay.

Zoramon089 said:
Not necassarily, this game will come out too late for that to happen...if AW characters are in it'll definitely be the old ones
They put Roy in Melee before FE6 was out in Japan, to advertise that game.

...Come to think of it, that raises an interesting question. I wonder whether this new storyline shift will bring more Japanese players in or push them farther away. I know the Wars games never did that well in Japan, sadly enough, so I wonder if they're trying to target the US players since that's where the game sells.

Jiggy

ivysaur12 said:
Bleh, I'm not much of a fan of the girly manboy, who will probably end up being the main character.
I won't mind if he's it, since it'd probably just be Jake redux minus the slang. I'm more worried it'll be that scarred, war-torn, grizzled old veteran.

Jiggy37 said:

But Roy was a Marth clone (old FE character which they had probably already fully designed), so all they really had to do was make a new model. I'm not trying to act as if I'm an expert in the game making process but it seems like something that could be done relatively quickly compared to completely making a new character as they'd have to do for AW. Not to mention, none of the characters in AW really lend themselves to having the same movesets as others so they couldn't just make a clone

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:
Man, the things I'd do for a game like that. Complete with each character being able to charge up some kind of over-the-top power, and shouting entirely ridiculous phrases when they use them.

And I'm not even joking. In all honesty, I can barely remember a thing about the storylines of any of the three FE games I played--well, except for Eirika/Ephraim having some sort of heavy incestual overtones, because that's kind of hard to ignore. I suppose part of the problem was just trying to track the motivations of dozens of characters simultaneously, but still... I'd rather have ludicrous characters who stick in my mind than serious ones whose stories I skip over to get to the gameplay.

...Come to think of it, that raises an interesting question. I wonder whether this new storyline shift will bring more Japanese players in or push them farther away. I know the Wars games never did that well in Japan, sadly enough, so I wonder if they're trying to target the US players since that's where the game sells.

I'm guessing that they changed the art direction of the game to purposely align with NA more.

Jiggy

Zoramon089 said:
But Roy was a Marth clone (old FE character which they had probably already fully designed), so all they really had to do was make a new model.
Well, that's true. >_>

Anyway. Looking over advancewarsnet's forums right now and they've reminded me, there's at least one benefit to getting rid of the old characters (assuming that they're truly entirely gone), and that's that I'll never have to see Andy again.

On the other hand, they raise another good issue that the CO abilities were very well-balanced. If some of the old day-to-day abilities aren't represented, that would be a shame--but if they are represented, that would just make the new characters clones. Seems like a tricky line to tread...

Edit:

grandjedi6 said:
I'm guessing that they changed the art direction of the game to purposely align with NA more.
This isn't just directed at you, but...
I'm really not seeing what most of you are seeing as far as the art direction goes. The character portraits look basically identical to me, but with more detail in their clothing. Even the map sprites look the same (although thankfully they seem to have gone back to the flat overhead view instead of AWDS' tilted nonsense).
And I say this even though I really enjoyed the "old" art style. If I perceived even the minutest of changes to the AWDS style, I'd be up in arms about it almost as fast as I was after seeing the PSP Star Ocean 2 character art, and picking apart every one of those changes. But it looks the same to me, in all sincerity. The characters seem to be older, yes, but that's a separate issue from art style.

Seriously, look back at Jake's art. Stylistically, it seems almost identical to Ed's art except that Jake's clothing doesn't have folds in it. Or how about Sasha's head compared to Ling's?

(I'm almost inclined to ask if some of you just wanted a change so much that you see one even when it doesn't exist... But that would just get us to a stalemate, because then anyone could turn that back on me and ask if I just wanted a non-change so much that I see similarities that aren't there. :lol Psychoanalytic debate sucks.)

But anyway, I do think that the storyline direction is quite a shift. Post-apocalyptic settings, yes, that could be and probably is an intentional appeal to the North American audience, which is why I brought it up.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jiggy37 said:
But anyway, I do think that the storyline direction is quite a shift. Post-apocalyptic settings, yes, that could be and probably is an intentional appeal to the North American audience, which is why I brought it up.

Considering that the American audience bought 10x more copies than the Japanese audience, I think that this is obviously a ploy to aim for the market that Advance Wars sells a majority of its copies.

Hence why it is "lulz, more mature"

grandjedi6

Jiggy37 said:
Well, that's true. >_>

Anyway. Looking over advancewarsnet's forums right now and they've reminded me, there's at least one benefit to getting rid of the old characters (assuming that they're truly entirely gone), and that's that I'll never have to see Andy again.

On the other hand, they raise another good issue that the CO abilities were very well-balanced. If some of the old day-to-day abilities aren't represented, that would be a shame--but if they are represented, that would just make the new characters clones. Seems like a tricky line to tread...

Edit:

This isn't just directed at you, but...
I'm really not seeing what most of you are seeing as far as the art direction goes. The character portraits look basically identical to me, but with more detail in their clothing. Even the map sprites look the same (although thankfully they seem to have gone back to the flat overhead view instead of AWDS' tilted nonsense).
And I say this even though I really enjoyed the "old" art style. If I perceived even the minutest of changes to the AWDS style, I'd be up in arms about it almost as fast as I was after seeing the PSP Star Ocean 2 character art, and picking apart every one of those changes. But it looks the same to me, in all sincerity. The characters seem to be older, yes, but that's a separate issue from art style.

Seriously, look back at Jake's art. Stylistically, it seems almost identical to Ed's art except that Jake's clothing doesn't have folds in it. Or how about Sasha's head compared to Ling's?

(I'm almost inclined to ask if some of you just wanted a change so much that you see one even when it doesn't exist... But that would just get us to a stalemate, because then anyone could turn that back on me and ask if I just wanted a non-change so much that I see similarities that aren't there. :lol Psychoanalytic debate sucks.)

I wasn't really refering to the character portraits as much as I was talking about how the game's art direction seems grittier now.

Zeed

Banned
Who cares, it looks great. I think this is a positive change. Considering the subject matter Advance Wars suits a more matoor style.

looks great! Love the new style! It's of a very different flavour but it's still advance wars :)

I'm sure it'll have online play but it'll only really be fun with friends, expect disconnectors up the wazoo considering how long each match is!

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I really liked the old "cartoonish" design waaay more :\ ... but I'd be lying if I told you that I'm not super excited for this anyway:lol

Zeed

Banned
Posting the rest of the pics here since no one else has yet:

61191020070930_211020_0_big.jpg

61191020070930_211020_2_big.jpg

61191020070930_211021_3_big.jpg

61191020070930_211022_7_big.jpg

61191020070930_211021_5_big.jpg

loosus

Banned
Oh, no. Some young guy with a twisted, stressed tie and spikey hair standing opposite to a brute with his arms crossed. That's certainly not a good sign of things to come.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
loosus said:
Oh, no. Some young guy with a twisted, stressed tie and spikey hair standing opposite to a brute with his arms crossed. That's certainly not a good sign of things to come.
Oh, no. loosus has posted. That's certainly not a good sign of things to come.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ok, new advance wars looks badass. may have to look into finally buying a DS, considering all the other stuff i should be getting for it.

however, i'd rather see the new stuff with BWii please please please tell me you have it and can post it stephane!

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
I wasn't really refering to the character portraits as much as I was talking about how the game's art direction seems grittier now.
I don't even see that, though. The environments seem darker, but that's about it.

TwinIonEngines said:
I wonder if they're keeping the two-front maps.
I hope so. That was one of AWDS' greatest ideas, but it entirely failed in execution because--well, two reasons. One was that most of the time the second front was actually easier than the first, but the other was that units should have been interchangeable between both.

Saitou

Banned
Zeed said:
Posting the rest of the pics here since no one else has yet:
61191020070930_211020_2_big.jpg
Day 4

Devastated World

Start of turn

Oh yeah, grim n' gritty.

My penis is erect. The lube is at hand. DELIVER THE GOODS, INTSYS.

grandjedi6

Jiggy37 said:
I don't even see that, though. The environments seem darker, but that's about it.

I hope so. That was one of AWDS' greatest ideas, but it entirely failed in execution because--well, two reasons. One was that most of the time the second front was actually easier than the first, but the other was that units should have been interchangeable between both.

True. Its hard to tell either way until we learn more. Although..

Saitou said:
Day 4

Devastated World

Start of turn

Oh yeah, grim n' gritty.

My penis is erect. The lube is at hand. DELIVER THE GOODS, INTSYS.

That seems to end to the grimness. It doesn't matter either way though, as long as it has the same great Advance Wars gameplay

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jiggy37 said:
You're out of your goddamn mind. They're not exactly polar ends of the spectrum or anything, but the style is different by much more than 'a few more folds in their clothing'. The difference is more akin to, say, Batman the Animated Series vs. Batman drawn by Jim Lee. Thematically they may be conveying the same thing, but you'd have to be a flippin' moron to confuse the two styles.

Those images looked really great, the new art style looks great as well. More realistic indeed, but it still retains that cartoony feel.

What seems to be apparent is that IS looks to be starting the series anew. New nations, new characters, new graphics etc. I dont care about having the old characters return, just as long as we get identical versions of the best characters in.

explodet said:
It looks like Advance Wars: Front Mission!

I want it yesterday.

It definitely looks more like Front Mission than WARS, hell, even a bit of Nectaris in there.

We're sure that it's IntSys developing? There's nothing up on their site mentioning it...

Amir0x said:
I am interested in your opinion of this latest stylistic turn, Dragona.

I love it, you?

Oh, I think it looks fab. It's just that the WARS games have always had a very consistent style, hence my tiny fears that this has been handed off to someone else (like the vapourware N64 version being given to Hudson). I'm sure it's groundless.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dragona Akehi said:
It definitely looks more like Front Mission than WARS, hell, even a bit of Nectaris in there.

We're sure that it's IntSys developing? There's nothing up on their site mentioning it...
NCL hasn't announced it yet so it wouldn't be, I don't think it looks different enough to say a different team is behind it.

Plus the opening post with impressions mentions IS, I'm sure he'd notice if there was a different copyright on the title screen (he did look at it long enough to take a picture).

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Oh, I think it looks fab. It's just that the WARS games have always had a very consistent style, hence my tiny fears that this has been handed off to someone else (like the vapourware N64 version being given to Hudson). I'm sure it's groundless.

hm, yes i guess we should probably withhold full hype status until we get confirmation of IntSys status.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:

Haven't the only "true" Wars games been the Famicom and the GBA/DS ones? I thought the other ones were all Hudson efforts.

DavidDayton said:
Haven't the only "true" Wars games been the Famicom and the GBA/DS ones? I thought the other ones were all Hudson efforts.

Well there was the GameBoy WARS series (three games) which was by Hudson, but that was it. They weren't that great compared to the IntSys developed games (obviously).

Christine

I mostly care about the unit icons as they appear on the map screen, and what I can see looks promising, although it's a little hard to tell from these photos.

Sad_Panda said:
Yup, IS is developing AW DS 2. Saw their logo when I went back to the title screen.
Hurrah?

Confession: I've never played AW before. Should I buy the first one to check it out?
Edit: watching Gametrailers review atm.

botticus

Souldriver said:
Hurrah?

Confession: I've never played AW before. Should I buy the first one to check it out?
Edit: watching Gametrailers review atm.
The first one is awfully pricey nowadays. Or, more accurately, pricey for a few year old game.

Top Bottom